APC H15 Power Conditioner - review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 298 Old 01-25-2009, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my APC 15 installed yesterday and initial thoughts are:
This unit is nice looking; perhaps not as "tech" looking as the Monsters and perhaps not as 'elegant' as the Belkin pf60 but somewhere in between. It is very heavy and has the largest power cord I've seen except for appliances such as clothes dryer and stove. The APC H15 has 15 amp or 1.5KVA capacity therefore the large power cable is required. The plug, however, is angled and does not block the other outlet.

It has 12 outlets nicely arranged in 4 groups (6-digital , 2-video, 2-audio, and 2-high current). The high current outlets can be controlled via 12 volt trigger but can also be live without the 12 volt trigger after a desired delay. I had read that the unit has sequenced on/off but in reality the only 'sequenced' on/off outlets are the 2 high current outlets being activated by set delay without trigger or by trigger & set delay. I recently purchased the Pioneer vsx03 AVR and the trigger out of the Pioneer was not strong enough (only 50mA) to trigger an older device (which apparently requires 200mA) but the APC detected the 12v and the outlets responded as they should.

The lcd meter is very nice; you can select to see:
1) Volt in & Volt out
2) Volt out & Amp out
3) Power out & percent of power usage or
4) Volt in & Frequency in.

I think one of the primary differences between other popular power conditioners and this APC H15 is that the APC also has automatic voltage regulation. You can set the voltage range from narrow for stable incoming power which results in conditioned 120v +/- 5% or normal which results in +/- 10% or wide for really unstable incoming power which results in +/- 15%.
I live in an area that has pretty consistent power so I set it to narrow and during my first day of watching, the voltage varied only slightly (between 119 ~ 123) therefore the APC H15 didn't need to boost or trim the voltage. This would indicate that I and probably many other people wouldn't need the voltage regulation but it's nice to know that it is there just in case.

It also has two sets of coaxial inputs; one for SAT and one for Cable/Ant. The Cable/Ant also serves as a splitter since it has two outputs. However, when I connected my D*TV HD DVR, I only got one antenna signal through the unit. The SAT passed the signal fine but I couldn't get the other signal through the Cable/ant input. I'll call APC and see if there is a bandwidth design issue or if I have a faulty unit.

My equipment consists of plazma TV, medium priced AVR, BD, DVD, SAT box, and some other misc such as laptop, XBOX, wireless bridge, etc. but with all my equipment powered on, I only used between 28~33% of the capacity. In another post, someone mentioned that the APC H10 had plenty of capacity and with my setup, that would be true. I didn't really need the extra capacity of the H15 but I like the visual of the LCD monitoring meter which is not provided on the H10 and if I ever upgrade to a separate power amp, the extra capacity might be needed. Additionally, the price difference between the discontinued silver color H10 and H15 was only $30. If someone were buying the black model, the price difference is substantial and I would recommend the H10 unless large power amps are being used.

All in all, I'm very happy with the unit and with the discontinued price of $150, it is head & shoulders above many other units selling for twice as much. The unit has a 5 year warranty but this is built like a tank and would expect it to last much longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 298 Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Good to hear you like it.

I was hoping for the angle plug (and it did have it).

Tony
post #3 of 298 Old 01-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

The weight of the unit (16.10 lbs for both units) and cord size are definitely instant attention grabbers when the box is opened.

I see the silver H15 is now sold out on the APC outlet site.
post #4 of 298 Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I see the silver H15 is now sold out on the APC outlet site.

I just checked audioholics.com site and it doesn't state that they are sold out. However, at this price, I'm surprised they didn't sell out on the first day. I'm happy I am one of the lucky ones to get one for that price. The H10 is also a good deal but for $20 difference, the H15 seems to be a better deal and certainly will obtain more complements.

Quote:

I'll call APC and see if there is a bandwidth design issue or if I have a faulty unit.

Actually, I emailed them. They are very responsive. Apparently, I have a defective coaxial/RF protector jack. They say they will replace the unit. It's not going to be fun unplugging everything and taking out of the cabinet but it's feels great to deal with a company that actually helps and does what is right.
post #5 of 298 Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55sss View Post

I just checked audioholics.com site and it doesn't state that they are sold out. However, at this price, I'm surprised they didn't sell out on the first day. I'm happy I am one of the lucky ones to get one for that price. The H10 is also a good deal but for $20 difference, the H15 seems to be a better deal and certainly will obtain more complements.

Actually, I emailed them. They are very responsive. Apparently, I have a defective coaxial/RF protector jack. They say they will replace the unit. It's not going to be fun unplugging everything and taking out of the cabinet but it's feels great to deal with a company that actually helps and does what is right.

How do you know it is defective? Didn't fit ?

tony
post #6 of 298 Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How do you know it is defective? Didn't fit ?

I can't get a signal through one of the coaxial/RF protectors. Other than that, everything works great and I really like the look. I have it under my DTV HR10 DVR and the silver face and blue lights match the DTV unit.
post #7 of 298 Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't gotten the apc unit yet. I had verizon fios installed yesterday. He told me I shouldn't be plugging it into a surge protector, etc..

Tony
post #8 of 298 Old 01-27-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I had verizon fios installed yesterday. He told me I shouldn't be plugging it into a surge protector, etc..

Everything that I've read states that if you don't use the coaxial and telephone protection on equipment that is plugged into a surge protector that you're still at risk. The high voltage &/or current can come through the coaxial through the unit and then even to other units connected to the surge protector. I went ahead and plugged the telephone cord (for DTV usage) and one of the two coaxial downleads to the APC H15. Right now, I have one downlead going straight to the DTV DVR since the second coaxial jack doesn't seem to work. I haven't noticed any negative impact on the DTV signal. As long as that's the case, I'll leave it plugged into the APC.
post #9 of 298 Old 01-27-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55sss View Post

Everything that I've read states that if you don't use the coaxial and telephone protection on equipment that is plugged into a surge protector that you're still at risk. The high voltage &/or current can come through the coaxial through the unit and then even to other units connected to the surge protector. I went ahead and plugged the telephone cord (for DTV usage) and one of the two coaxial downleads to the APC H15. Right now, I have one downlead going straight to the DTV DVR since the second coaxial jack doesn't seem to work. I haven't noticed any negative impact on the DTV signal. As long as that's the case, I'll leave it plugged into the APC.

Sounds good. I was going to ask the verizon guy to make me a 2 ft coaxial but didn't bother after he told me that. Now I have to go find a short one.

I hope that the apc unit they are selling so cheap is not a refurbish, etc. It so much hassle to unplug all the cables, etc.

tony
post #10 of 298 Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I hope that the apc unit they are selling so cheap is not a refurbish, etc. It so much hassle to unplug all the cables, etc.

Where did you get yours from? The one I got from Audioholics.com is not refurbished or at least no indication, appears to be factory sealed new.

Quote:

I was going to ask the verizon guy to make me a 2 ft coaxial but didn't bother after he told me that. Now I have to go find a short one.

The APC H15 came with two RG6 coaxial cables (even with gold plated connectors) but they are 6 foot long. I'm a little disappointed that only one of the RF jacks works with my DTV signal. I heard back from APC support today (they are very responsive) and they want me to try another RF input just to test.
post #11 of 298 Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I purchased from Audioholics. Glad it comes with cables.

I have dealt with APC at an IT level. They are very responsive .

Tony
post #12 of 298 Old 01-27-2009, 10:46 PM

I have the same unit in black. Overall I'm happy now, but it was a rough ride. I got a good deal on it (not as good as you!) and APC is a good brand.

I ordered mine from B&H. About 1-2 days of use, the unit would just shut off. Couldn't get it turned back on. These things happen -- I called B&H (not APC) and they cross shipped a replacement. The cross ship arrived before I shipped the original back. I took it out of the box, and heard bits of metal rolling around inside the case. Not good -- I didn't even bother trying to turn it on.

This time I called APC. Great people to deal with -- nice to know companies stand by their product and are easy to get in touch with. They ship a replacement to me, no CC or anything, and then I can ship it back on their dime.

The 3rd unit now arrives as I ship the first 2 back ... no loose parts, all looks good. Plug it in... no LCD! Actually, it did work but I couldn't read the screen. Clearly a problem.

So, in 2 weeks time, I'm on my 4th unit. Luckily, this one has held up for ... 3 or 4 months now, no problems.

Overall I'm pleased with the unit. NOT happy with the 3 failed units, but APC was great to deal with. I'm willing to chalk this up as karma for having good luck with all my other electronics.
post #13 of 298 Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlonewolf View Post

I have the same unit in black. Overall I'm happy now, but it was a rough ride. I got a good deal on it (not as good as you!) and APC is a good brand.

I ordered mine from B&H. About 1-2 days of use, the unit would just shut off. Couldn't get it turned back on. These things happen -- I called B&H (not APC) and they cross shipped a replacement. The cross ship arrived before I shipped the original back. I took it out of the box, and heard bits of metal rolling around inside the case. Not good -- I didn't even bother trying to turn it on.

This time I called APC. Great people to deal with -- nice to know companies stand by their product and are easy to get in touch with. They ship a replacement to me, no CC or anything, and then I can ship it back on their dime.

The 3rd unit now arrives as I ship the first 2 back ... no loose parts, all looks good. Plug it in... no LCD! Actually, it did work but I couldn't read the screen. Clearly a problem.

So, in 2 weeks time, I'm on my 4th unit. Luckily, this one has held up for ... 3 or 4 months now, no problems.

Overall I'm pleased with the unit. NOT happy with the 3 failed units, but APC was great to deal with. I'm willing to chalk this up as karma for having good luck with all my other electronics.

It must be a pain. I am not sure how your setup is, but pulling all the devices, console, etc is a lot of work .

Tony
post #14 of 298 Old 01-28-2009, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hope your experience is not a sign. I ordered from Audioholics and the RF coaxial protector is faulty (doesn't pass the signal) but everything else appears to be working. I've been in contact with APC and I believe they are going to replace it. One reason I went with this unit was the company and heard their stuff is high quality. From your experience, sounds like they may have a QC issue with this model.
post #15 of 298 Old 01-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

I've had my H10 for 2 weeks now and no problems at all.
post #16 of 298 Old 01-30-2009, 09:01 AM

Anyone know if this thing is a *real* power conditioner? IE: plug it into a cheap APC backUPS and then have really cheap sine-wave with automatic voltage regulation conditioned uninterruptable power supply?
post #17 of 298 Old 01-30-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathweb View Post

Anyone know if this thing is a *real* power conditioner? IE: plug it into a cheap APC backUPS and then have really cheap sine-wave with automatic voltage regulation conditioned uninterruptable power supply?

I'm thinking about this as well. I have an old APC UPS that needs a new battery and I was thinking about bundling this with an H15. Any other thoughts?
post #18 of 298 Old 01-30-2009, 11:28 AM

Just got my H15 today from audioholics (149 shipped). I cant wait to go plug it in... NEW TOYS YAAAAA! Its the blining lights and fresh smell that does it for me. Hopefully I wont run into any problems with mine, but at least I know if I do APC stands by their product and are easy to deal with. As anyone tried splitting the cable on this thing and using the QAM on their TV to pick up all "free" stuff floating around?

Also to those of you who got it from audioholics I have a question about their 3 year ext warranty. I see that APC covers for 5, so does that mean audoholics picks it up for 3 years after that (8 years total) or is the APC warranty going to outlast the Ah.com warranty? 8 years would be pretty sweat deal.

I was going to list my equipment, but it told me not to. So instead I will just say it's a bad mother with some kick and nice visual.
post #19 of 298 Old 01-30-2009, 01:04 PM

Not sold out through Audioholics. Just placed an order for a silver H15 @ $149 shipped.

please excuse my ignorance
post #20 of 298 Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul scheffler View Post

Not sold out through Audioholics. Just placed an order for a silver H15 @ $149 shipped.

I just did the same. Guy on the phone said that *might* have enough to make it through the weekend...
post #21 of 298 Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 PM

My first post oh boy.

Ordered my H15 from Audioholics earlier this week (found out about it from one of my head-fi.com buddies). Took delivery today. After unpacking I heard something rattling around inside the unit. Uh oh. Got a phillips-head and removed top cover; and yes, a loose screw tumbled out.

Hmmm... I noticed the circuit board on the right side (viewed facing the unit from the front) was missing a fastening screw. After inspecting the innards for damage I put that screw back where it belonged, replaced the cover and fired that bad-boy up.

It works like a charm. I sanity-tested each outlet and went through the front-panel setup and diagnostics.

A sweet deal.
post #22 of 298 Old 02-03-2009, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got my unit today. What a beautiful gem.

What are your settings on the delay for the High current filter? I have plugged my sub and AVR to these outlets.

Tnt
post #23 of 298 Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just got my unit today. What a beautiful gem

Glad you like it. Even though I'm not a total believer in power conditioning, I'm glad I bought mine. Just couldn't pass up the great price.

Quote:

What are your settings on the delay for the High current filter? I have plugged my sub and AVR to these outlets.

I think there are two main reason to delay. One is to prevent all the demand from occurring at the same time and the other is to prevent "popping" in the speakers. Actually, neither of these is an issue with my setup since I don't have large amps with big demand nor do they cause a pop but on my setup, I have the triggered delay set to 4 seconds. If you experience a pop in the speakers, you might want to try an increase in the delay. Also, I haven't turned the unit off i.e., I leave it on all the time so again the delay is not a factor unless the unit turns itself off due to out of range voltage change.
post #24 of 298 Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 PM

ordered mine last Tuesday, got it on Friday. Opened the box and heard a rattling too. Didn't even take it out of the plastic cover, called Audioholics and they emailed me a return label and fedex picked it up yesterday. Now, I'm just waiting on the replacement. Kinda wierd its going back to Florida, but shipped from here in Michigan originally. Anyway, it looked nice and weighed a ton. For that price I had to pull the trigger.

My build thread
The "Big House" Build
post #25 of 298 Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Liked: 17
I am glad I read through this thread as I will listen for the rattle for something loose when I open the box tonight. I am replacing a Chang Lightspeed CLS 3200 I bought 8 years ago. I hope that this is a better unit as far as conditioning goes. I already know that the surge protection is superior to Chang's.
post #26 of 298 Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohrbrcko View Post

I am glad I read through this thread as I will listen for the rattle for something loose when I open the box tonight. I am replacing a Chang Lightspeed CLS 3200 I bought 8 years ago. I hope that this is a better unit as far as conditioning goes. I already know that the surge protection is superior to Chang's.

The unit is very nice. I got it and shook the hell out of it. No rattles.

tnt
post #27 of 298 Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Besides surge suppression, I would think that the voltage regulation feature of this unit is it's primary useful feature. How does one calculate out how big of a voltage regulator one needs? How does it's voltage regulation capacity compare with the PureAV AVU1500?
post #28 of 298 Old 02-04-2009, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How does one calculate out how big of a voltage regulator one needs? How does it's voltage regulation capacity compare with the PureAV AVU1500?

The PureAV AVU1500 is an UPS device whereas the APC H15 is not an UPS device. The PureAV has a battery to provide power if the incoming power drops. The APC H15 has voltage regulation to keep the incoming voltage within 5, 10, or 15% depending upon the incoming voltage range but if the voltage drops below 92 volts, it will not provide power.
post #29 of 298 Old 02-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Is Audioholics an authorized APC re-seller?
post #30 of 298 Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLaLakers View Post

Is Audioholics an authorized APC re-seller?

Go lakers!!

I think they are. I just bought one. It is worth every penny.

Tnt
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page