My Story: How I eliminated my "tv niche" above the fireplace - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry I haven't been here in so long guys - great to see this thread inspiring people to mount a flat screen in potentially difficult spots!

street_peddler: nice job! I hope you are happy with it!

adonisjev: you could mount it that way (plywood to white studs), just make sure you use quality lumber and properly secure it to the studs with framing ties or something like that. Let us know how you make out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2009, 05:00 PM

I want to thank Skidpad and the other contributors to this thread, and add my similar experience.

We had a 32" Samsung in a niche created by a prior owner. The niche had been wired with coax, L/R RCA for audio, and RCA composit component wiring, all wired to the right corner of the room where a media center was located.

Attachment 154329

Attachment 154330

I went to Magnolia AV (Bellevue, WA), and they helped me realize first (before I found this thread) that I could cover the niche with a 54" Panasonic plasma (TC-P54G10). Like a prior thread here, it was first suggested that I use a mount to the back of the niche as was suggested to an earlier poster. But then I saw Skidpad's post and suggested we do something similar.

We needed to account for the fact that the studs were at the front and back corners of the niche, so the sides of the "H" strut covered the sides of the niche.

I wanted to be able to tilt the screen L-R and up-down, so I sprang for the Sanus VisionMount VMDD26, $600.

Attachment 154331

Attachment 154332

Magnolia charged me $750 for delivery, buildout and setup, and they were very professional.

The only thing I would make sure you consider if you want to cover the whole niche and you are cutting it close is that the niche may be visible from other perspectives of the room, and depending on how it is tilted.

I would do Magnolia again--they did a good install, and the prices were the same as BestBuy or better: $600 for the bracket, $750 for the install & delivery, $1700 for the TV, plus $200 off a $250 Panasonic Bluray player (DMP-BD60K) and $300 off a $650 Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer.
LL
LL
LL
LL
Old 12-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpad View Post

I've attached a couple of pics showing the tv bolted in place, and the articulating arm extended.

Oh, in case anyone asks...attached to the Peerless PLA50 articulating mount is a Peerless screen-specific adapter (PLP-PAN42); purchased online from The Simple TV Mount Store for way less than retail...

(My original plan was to get one of the new SA750 mounts, but the wall bracket on the SA series is MUCH bigger than the one on the PLA series, and would've required the use of something much bigger than the 2x10 I used to attach the PLA50 wall bracket. The SA series is the newer version of the PLA series...)

Great post! I want to do the same thing you did except that my TV niche is 47" wide. I have a 50" Panasonic plasma weighing around 60 lbs. Do you see any problem with that? any advice? Thanks!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great feedback everyone...I'm still glad to see that my head-scratching has helped others out.

creato: I don't see a problem with it. As a reference, the opening in my pictures was about 36". You can certainly go bigger (as in your case), just make sure that everything is properly attached/reinforced using a proper mount, hardware, etc. For a 47" span, and depending on what kind of access you need into the niche once complete, you may want to consider a 2x12 instead of a 2x10 like I used.

niche2plasma: a 54"...I'm jealous..enjoy!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:51 AM

just wanted to say thanks for the great idea. I have a 36x36 tv niche above my gas logs which i have been wanting to hang a lcd or plasma over for sooo long. I have looked at the extended mounts but would have to get one that extended almost 30inches or so and was worried about the weigh on the arms extended at all times. I think i am going to build the H frame like you did. Luckily my tv niche is pre-wired for coax and 2 components and has power so i don't have to worry about routing wires through the wall. I wish I could see what the nich is made out of like you did. Mine is on the main floor so i cant see down. I think this will also help me from spending a ton on a mount.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:28 AM

Liked: 11
Hi. Newbie here with a TV mounting question.

I know this is an extremely old thread, but since it is close to my situation I thought it was worth reviving.

I'm at work so bare with me as I can't take pics of my specific current set-up.

I want to mount a large (possibly 60" LCD) over a gas log fireplace.

This closely resembles my current set-up.
A "cubby hole" with a shelf made of 3/4" laminated particle board with my 42" LCD that fits exactly into the hole.
Underneath the shelf is a two-piece support beam made with 3/4" boards that runs down the center.
On one side is my cable box, the other side has my BR.

Without doing too much modifying, I thought I could use a ceiling mount like the one picture below, but UPSIDE down.
Mounting it to the shelf by drilling holes through it.
But looking at the bracket I'd would also drill a hole (see red circle) through the pole that swivels (the area pictured on the left) and place a bolt through it to keep the TV from shifting out at all.

Do you think this would work with my "cubby hole" and a 60" panel?
gbould likes this.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithTrooper View Post

Hi. Newbie here with a TV mounting question.

I want to mount a large (possibly 60" LCD) over a gas log fireplace.

A "cubby hole" with a shelf made of 3/4" laminated particle board with my 42" LCD that fits exactly into the hole.

I need to see pictures of the installation location ... but at this point I would say NO. For one, you should really only use mounts in their intended use and orientation.

It would also help to know stud locations inside the cubby. I assume the new 60" LCD will not fit inside the cubby (like the current 42") or else you would just use the stand.

The easiest way is to buy a nice cantilever mount and install it on the back wall. If the cubby is too deep, build a "false wall frame" of solid lumber (just like in this thread). If on a budget, you can install a simpler fixed or tilt-only mount but your wooden frame will be closer to the front, more visible, and less access to the back of the TV or cubby.

Whichever mount you use, watch your vertical spacing because it's usually not adjustable on the mount itself.

As yes, I have hung a couple of large plasmas on the wall.

Have you measured the temp of the TV/cubby while the fireplace is on?

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I need to see pictures of the installation location ... but at this point I would say NO. For one, you should really only use mounts in their intended use and orientation.

It would also help to know stud locations inside the cubby. I assume the new 60" LCD will not fit inside the cubby (like the current 42") or else you would just use the stand.

The easiest way is to buy a nice cantilever mount and install it on the back wall. If the cubby is too deep, build a "false wall frame" of solid lumber. If on a budget, you can install a simpler fixed or tilt-only mount but your wooden frame will be closer to the front, more visible, and less access to the back of the TV or cubby.

Whichever mount you use, watch your vertical spacing because it's usually not adjustable on the mount itself.

As yes, I have hung a couple of large plasmas on the wall.

Have you measured the temp of the TV/cubby while the fireplace is on?

Thanks.

No, a 60" panel will not fit into the cubby hole. It's only 42" wide.
The mount is rated to handle 175lbs. Inverting it should not cause any issues...I would think.
No, I have not measured the temp back there, but I have had my cable box, BR player and current 42" LCD up there for quite a while without any issues. The fireplace is vented out of the rear of the fireplace itself.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Don't laugh. I put this together quickly to visualize how I'm thinking this might work.

I borrowed the "cubby hole" pic from the first poster as it is very close to what I have now.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithTrooper View Post

Thanks.

No, a 60" panel will not fit into the cubby hole. It's only 42" wide.
The mount is rated to handle 175lbs. Inverting it should not cause any issues...I would think.
No, I have not measured the temp back there, but I have had my cable box, BR player and current 42" LCD up there for quite a while without any issues. The fireplace is vented out of the rear of the fireplace itself.

The "forces" on the mount are different if you invert it. That mount uses gravity to hang from the ceiling (like a light fixture) ... not invert and balance 50 lb (or more) TV ... like a TV stand.

You don't want the new LCD to fall and break or hurt someone.

Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Your pic is fine, but ya ... I already knew what you were talking about.

I described your best options above. The only other thing I can think of is to extend the shelf (in a safe way) and use the existing stand. However, that won't give you that "floating look" nor will it be very move-able.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
To the OP's build, looks like you could had enlarge the niche to fit you intended TV inside exactly. I just have this idea of a built-in TV, flushed with the wall, like came with the house.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

The "forces" on the mount are different if you invert it. That mount uses gravity to hang from the ceiling (like a light fixture) ... not invert and balance 50 lb (or more) TV ... like a TV stand.

You don't want the new LCD to fall and break or hurt someone.

Exactly...that ceiling mount doesn't have enough of a footprint (surface area) when mounted opposite to its true design. You may be able to increase the footprint by adding an additional plate, but you'll have to plan and test accordingly...as stated before, you don't want it to come crashing down.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:07 PM

Thank you SO MUCH for all of the helpful info you posted! My old 46" DLP finally kicked the bucket so I went out and bought a 55" flat screen LG TV.

Unfortunately my niche is only 40.5" wide and won't fit anything larger than a 42" TV. After reading this thread, I finally realized how I could solve my problem!

So I picked up a 2" x 10" and cut it into three pieces, one for each side and one down the middle, then mounted the side pieces to the walls using 3/8" quality lag bolts. Then I installed two "strong tie" brackets on both sides at a slight angle using 1/4" lag bolts. I then installed the middle piece to the strong tie brackets, then installed a second set of brackets on the other side. As suggested, I installed the brackets at a slight backwards angle.

The TV mount is a "VideoSecu MW380b" you can get from Amazon for under $70. It's extremely sturdy and has gotten great reviews and I had zero problems installing it.

Now my TV is practically flush with the walls around the niche and appears to be professionally installed and it only cost me about $8 for the wood, $20 for the brackets, and about $15 for all of the lag bolts and washers!

I also have a Vizio speaker bar installed just beneath the TV via an HDMI ARC cable so I have great sound from the TV when I don't want to use my 5.1 surround sound system.

As you can see, I didn't bother painting the wood because you can't see it at all unless I pull the TV out to get to the cables and whatnot.

Just wanted to say "thank you" again for the great idea and post my own results. I am by no means a "handy man" but was able to complete this job in about 5 hours, most of which was me just taking my time measuring and re-measuring things and making sure I got the side pieces installed correctly in the studs before I started the rest of the project.

Please see pics below...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
gbould likes this.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Good job and thanks for taking the time to post with directions and pics.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:47 PM

HELLO Street_Peddler
I was looking at your lay out of nichi/cubby hole above your fireplace and was wondering what was your out come on how you fit your components. I just bought a house and have the same layout and im stuck on how to mount my componests and hide my wires. Was wondering if you could share some tips or pictures on what you did. Anything would help. Im looking to add a PS3, Surround Sound, Cable Box, DVD player. Please help,
Thanks

Steve
Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM

Xymox9,

What is the model of the bracket you used? When I went my home improvement store, the brackets I found were for nails and were designed for toe nailing.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the great information on this thread, I followed all the tips and suggestions that I could and really appreciate the help.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtopher View Post

Thanks for the great information on this thread, I followed all the tips and suggestions that I could and really appreciate the help.

Looks good ... another nice install.

What mount did you end up using?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Very nice. I did something like that out of necessity. My niche was already widened to accommodate my 42" plasma. Then I got a 52".

original
DSC09387.jpg

42"
DSC09404.jpg

widening
DSC09479_1_.jpg
DSC09484_1_.jpg

Suede paint
DSC09490.jpg

DSC09501_1_.jpg
DSC09556_1_.jpg

52"
IMAG0374.jpg

modding to get the 52" installed
IMAG0484.jpg

Monoprice tv mount
IMAG0486.jpg
IMAG0489.jpg
gbould likes this.

Origin - mrmike929
PSN - mrmike929
Steam - mike929
Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Looks good ... another nice install.

What mount did you end up using?

I went with a recommended mount from earlier in this thread the VideoSecu MW380B, it can be had for $69 online. My TV is the Samsung PN50B650 so it's pretty hefty at 80 lbs but it feels really solid up there.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 PM

Liked: 14
Old 01-26-2013, 07:33 PM

Really appreciate all the success stories and pictures in this thread. Used these as the inspiration do create a similar mounting in my hated tv niche for a new 55" LG LED.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the comments! I am happy my head-scratching a few years ago paid off for others in similar situations...great job guys! smile.gif (been awhile since I've been on here, so thread resurrection 101)
Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm taking on a similar project soon. This thread has given me a clearer idea of what I need to do.

I also bought the VideoSecu MW380B mount. TV is a Samsung 65" LED, which is replacing a 50" Samsung plasma, which didn't fit the niche either, btw, but was stand mounted on a coffee table inside the niche. It's an odd niche setup.

Will try to take pics along the way and report back.

Tags
Tv Above Fireplace