Help! How to reduce sound travel in new house (PICS) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-07-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is the context. Purchased this house about 9 months ago and love it. The only thing I don't like is how sound travels from the first floor (open floor plan) to the second floor (kids bedrooms).

The first floor houses the family room, kitchen and formal dining room (coverted to office). The entryway has 18 ft ceilings and a spiral staircase.

My question for you is how can I reduce or attenuate the amount of sound traveling upstairs? It tends to travel both ways and can make for some cranky kids at night (and parents...). Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Apply the principles discussed here regarding sound proofing a Home Theater to each of the kids bedrooms. Generally what keeps sound in keeps sound out.

You will probably also need to address your HVAC. I bet the floors share duct work and there is probably a good sized gap under each door so they didn't need to run a return air duct to each room.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Apply the principles discussed here regarding sound proofing a Home Theater to each of the kids bedrooms. Generally what keeps sound in keeps sound out.

You will probably also need to address your HVAC. I bet the floors share duct work and there is probably a good sized gap under each door so they didn't need to run a return air duct to each room.

Thanks for the reply DC.

Would you spend your money on:

1. Adding another layer of 5/8 drywall to kids (3) rooms
2. Have insulation pumped into the walls
3. Solid core doors with less space beneath them

Is there anything I could do with sound absorbing panels on the walls going up the stairs?

The ductwork in the rooms is flexible (besides the return air). Would you attempt to line the return airs, or just remove them?
post #4 of 9 Old 02-07-2009, 12:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I think to attack the problem you need to do some careful listening tests. Turn on the stereo loud downstairs then go into each room and try to determine the source of the sound infiltration. If you have hollow core doors with big gaps I'm guessing that is your first weak point to attack.

Solid core with no gap at bottom (add threshold). Of course you will need to add an appropriate sized return air duct for each room using a length of true acoustical duct for each room. If the main return is in the attic this should be a lot easier.

See flexmaster.com see product 6M

If you have a basement, You could just finish it off in a manner that you are comfortable spending your after bedtime hours down there and just close the door to the basement. If that option is available I would go down that path first because it is a win/win.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-08-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I've got the basement under construction - just haven't started a thread yet.... but I do intend it to be the primary entertainment venue (eventually)...
post #6 of 9 Old 02-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Old

if you have the basement under construction, I would not waste too much money and effort into adding DD/GG in the bedrooms, or ripping down the walls to add insulation, etc.
I also have an open foyer, and it's darn near impossible to keep the sound from going upstairs.
for my infant child, we put a white noise machine in her room and use that when she is napping. It works wonders.

basically, just spend the money and effort in controlling the sounds in the basement from going upstairs.

ps, sound absorbing panels will not help. It does not keep the sound from going upstairs. It just keeps it from bouncing around and echoing.
Old.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old View Post

if you have the basement under construction, I would not waste too much money and effort into adding DD/GG in the bedrooms, or ripping down the walls to add insulation, etc.
I also have an open foyer, and it's darn near impossible to keep the sound from going upstairs.
for my infant child, we put a white noise machine in her room and use that when she is napping. It works wonders.

basically, just spend the money and effort in controlling the sounds in the basement from going upstairs.

ps, sound absorbing panels will not help. It does not keep the sound from going upstairs. It just keeps it from bouncing around and echoing.
Old.

This makes sense. I didn't think about the white noise generator. I may have to try that. Thanks for the response old.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You could do what I do every night after my wife goes to bed while I finish my basement...Turn the TV down. Our bedroom is right above the living room and I just have to turn the TV down at night. Not a horrible option as I am not in need of super surround sound while watching hockey at 10pm. Just a thought, and then just concentrate on getting the basement finished.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 06:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page