Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater--An extremely modest build!! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 06:54 AM
HT1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for info. I guess the reason I thought about going with 15 to 18 inches was I want the arms of the bar stools to be able to pass inder the bar top without the person sitting in it kicking the front of the bar or to give plenty of leg room. I didn't plan on doing a drip rail but if I cut back on the depth of the bartop i should have enough wood to make one. Good Deal!!!

I like this place!!!
HT1
Check Out Bar / Theater 1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 AM

just keep in mind - the bartop (optimum) overhang (to the front of bar) including the bar rail should be 9" min. to 12" max.
post #273 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 AM
HT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbols View Post

just keep in mind - the bartop (optimum) overhang (to the front of bar) including the bar rail should be 9" min. to 12" max.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of stuff i'm looking for. I'll probably tap into you, IUSTEVE, and HEYNOW when I get ready to do my pour of enviro - tex. By the way, who would have thought a black rubber mat would make such a great looking bar top? That is incredible.

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #274 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Ok I need to ask questions here and get advice....I have the rack opening in the base of the half wall bar and it was framed out, drywalled and painted black I need ideas or suggestions on what to do with it because it is only an opening now. I have seen the rack threads and so forth but I am not sure here what to do. The opening is 35 1/2" tall x 19 1/2" wide by 16 1/2" deep- roughyly. I was thinking about just making shelves out of mdf and and mounting them to mdf strips that I would screw to the side and paint it all black and be done but I am not sure if there is a better way that isnt too expensive or one that is maybe a little easier. Any suggestions here? As for components all I will have is my receiver (6 3/4" tall) directv box(3" tall) xbox 360 (3" tall) and a blu ray player as soon as I decide on one. Other than that I have no other equipment that I can think of currently as I am not a big audio buff. Any help here would really be appreciated on what to do with this rack as well as any components I may be missing?

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #275 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
No pics ...problem doesn't exist....
post #276 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

No pics ...problem doesn't exist....

Ask and you shall receive....this is the only picture I have and its the rack from the back the oak frame I need to sand and build a door for.The opposite side will be open to the theater....sorry its the best pic I have , hope it helps

post #277 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Stop apologizing for your lousy photography. We are either used to it now or it's getting better.. What do you want to accomplish? Why is the back towards the theater? Wouldn't you want the pretty lights from your equipment flashing and impressing your guests?
post #278 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stop apologizing for your lousy photography. We are either used to it now or it's getting better.. What do you want to accomplish? Why is the back towards the theater? Wouldn't you want the pretty lights from your equipment flashing and impressing your guests?

No the back (which is what you see in the pic) is facing the bar the front (which u dont see) is facing the theater...I want to accomplish a decent looking shelving setup for my components....the easiest and most cost efficient way

post #279 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

What are your thoughts on the wires hanging out the back on the bar side?
post #280 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are your thoughts on the wires hanging out the back on the bar side?

Well I plan on some sort of wire management but that is also the reason that side (the side in the pic) is going to have a door on it....to access the back of the components but to also conceal wires etc.

post #281 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 08:51 PM

I think the cheapest way will be what you suggested with MDF or left over wood you already have but what might be a cool feature is to add one of the pull out shelves for like your gaming system or your receiver or something. I know you can get them reasonable at places like outwater.com. They also have shelving kits to make your own designs.

The Copper Pub /Corey Lane Cinema

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #282 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO View Post

I think the cheapest way will be what you suggested with MDF or left over wood you already have but what might be a cool feature is to add one of the pull out shelves for like your gaming system or your receiver or something. I know you can get them reasonable at places like outwater.com. They also have shelving kits to make your own designs.

Thats what I was looking for from you smart folk was links, pics etc of suggestions. I am unsure what exactly you mean but also what would be the reason for pull out since I have a door on the back of the rack? But I am all for suggestions to help make it look cool and be functional as well

post #283 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Thats what I was looking for from you smart folk was links, pics etc of suggestions. I am unsure what exactly you mean but also what would be the reason for pull out since I have a door on the back of the rack? But I am all for suggestions to help make it look cool and be functional as well

I guess your right if you can get to it from the back there is no real reason to have it pull out. Did you go to the thread of "show me your racks" and no it's not what you think but they do have some nice pictures of the racks your thinking of but anyway there are alot of ideas in there. I just have a problem paying that much for a Middle Atlantic rack but you will get some cool ideas. I like the face plate designs that make it look super professional. Don't know what you want to spend....

post #284 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess your right if you can get to it from the back there is no real reason to have it pull out. Did you go to the thread of "show me your racks" and no it's not what you think but they do have some nice pictures of the racks your thinking of but anyway there are alot of ideas in there. I just have a problem paying that much for a Middle Atlantic rack but you will get some cool ideas. I like the face plate designs that make it look super professional. Don't know what you want to spend....

I went through all 3 of those threads and I cant afford those setups....MA stuff is insane!! The pic above is a view from the back where I will make a cabinet door with some sort of glass insert then the other sidde is the front on the theater side. The rear that you see is in the base of the half wall bar and between that bar and the main bar so access is the best. I just wondered if I should go with some sort of rails and shelves or just cut mdf into strips to make ledges for the mdf shelves to sit on? Or if someone had some better ideas? Or even ideas of how to tweak my idea?

post #285 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
That is exactly why I'm doing completely DIY rack because of the MA rack stuff is soooo expensive. I have been trying to noodle some ideas for your rack and so far I've come up with nada. If I understand your pictures and posts you actually need both side to look neat due to the front and back being exposed right? I'll try to show you what I'm planning on to see if it will work for you.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #286 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

That is exactly why I'm doing completely DIY rack because of the MA rack stuff is soooo expensive. I have been trying to noodle some ideas for your rack and so far I've come up with nada. If I understand your pictures and posts you actually need both side to look neat due to the front and back being exposed right? I'll try to show you what I'm planning on to see if it will work for you.

Regards,

RTROSE

Please feel free to show your ideas and thoughts or links to any ideas....I need ALL the help I can get. As far as both sides looking neat...not a huge deal as the back side (shown above) will have a cabinet door over it to conceal things and for easy access.

post #287 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

The links below show how I'm planning on doing my rack. What I'm trying to think of is how to apply this particular set up to your application as this type is better set up for a wide open back. Might give you some ideas though. Let me ponder for a moment or two.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13415884

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13168550

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13046275

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #288 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The shelving setup he used in the first link wont really work I dont think because of my setup but I am curious how he made faceplates? I am not worried about having them but it may be a cool feature

post #289 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok,

Here is an idea FWIW.

Obviously space is always at a premium so how about if you would say flush mount one of these (from the Lowes site) in each inside corner.

You then could have neat easily adjustable shelves and with the clips you typically would use be plenty sturdy for you av equipment. If your worried about weight you could always double up and use eight strips.

Or you could modify something like this to fit (also from the Lowes site) to fit your needs. Sort of a rack in a rack type of deal.

Regards,

RTROSE

Hey you asked for ideas. You did not specify GOOD ideas. Of course as the hour gets later the ideas worsen. Sorry

post #290 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thats ok some of my best work (or atleast I think it was my best) has come well after midnight so keep brainstorming. I did consider the adjustable shelf brackets but wasnt sure how clean that would look from the front. I am not too concerned about adjustments later however I now am interested in a way to make a faceplate type of look for what I have......

post #291 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats ok some of my best work (or atleast I think it was my best) has come well after midnight so keep brainstorming. I did consider the adjustable shelf brackets but wasnt sure how clean that would look from the front. I am not too concerned about adjustments later however I now am interested in a way to make a faceplate type of look for what I have......

Well if you used the brackets you would mount them inside the equipment cabinet and if you routed out a channel for them to lay in they would or could be nearly flush so the actual brackets would not be all that visible.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #292 of 1361 Old 03-13-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm past the point of routing channels for them as its just drywall in there so it would be tough to mount them. Any suggestions on the faceplates? Are they all standard widths? that may be my biggest issues.

post #293 of 1361 Old 03-14-2009, 05:52 AM
HT1

I went the same route as this one. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13168550 It was cheap and easy. And from the business end it looks like this

Ya it's a mess on the inside but when the flash isn't going off you can't see it. Looking at your picture, if you went this route you would have to mount a 2 by on the front sides flush with the face of the cabinet. This would give you something to mount you rails to. If you've already trimmed out that side you would probably have to redo that to cover up the 2 by. Just a thougt

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #294 of 1361 Old 03-14-2009, 08:03 AM

I did my AV rack the same way. Maybe you could add some oak strips to the inside for mounting the rails, (rout the channels first) and you put them on the edges next to the existing trim you might be able to get some fancy oak trim strips to cover the mounting brackets and oak strips. I could try to draw a picture...

is my idea clear as mud?

cheers
Jerry

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness... My Basement HT / Rec Room Build
post #295 of 1361 Old 03-14-2009, 09:34 AM

Another idea would be to just drill pilot holes for the (for the lack of a better word) "pins" and the shelf sits on the pins. I did this for my cabinet behind the bar. I just made a jig out of wood for the pattern and then drilled them on all 4 sides and the shelves sit on them. I know, I know this is the "El Cheapo" route. but you wanted ideas.... and yes this will hold as long as it is in wood and not in drywall, i know because I have this set up for my AV rack.

Here are pictures to help explain what I am talking about.

This is from the cabinet behind the bar.

The shelf just sits on the pins

post #296 of 1361 Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not a bad idea. I would have to line the inside with wood to do this because basically my cabinet is framed 2x4's then drywalled. I am leaning toward cutting strips of mdf for shelf supports and using the mdf as shelves as well then just trimming the front with some sort of trim peices....but I am have to ponder this one for a bit.

post #297 of 1361 Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Not a bad idea. I would have to line the inside with wood to do this because basically my cabinet is framed 2x4's then drywalled. I am leaning toward cutting strips of mdf for shelf supports and using the mdf as shelves as well then just trimming the front with some sort of trim peices....but I am have to ponder this one for a bit.

I would not use MDF for the supports just use some pine or extra oak if you have it. Sometimes the MDF tends to fall apart at the nail or screw holes. MDF for the shelves is fine.

Are you thinking of doing something like this? this is the shelf above the T.V. in my office (please excuse the mess)

post #298 of 1361 Old 03-14-2009, 10:07 AM

When i did some shelving ( although it is all oak) , i simply bought some "L" shaped oak trim (i think about 1/2" wide - although you certainly could go bigger depending on the span & weight factor), glued and nailed into side of cabinets and sat shelves on top . In my case i had 1/4" glass cut for shelving . So not only do you get a nice shelf support but it looks good too .
post #299 of 1361 Old 03-14-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbols View Post

When i did some shelving ( although it is all oak) , i simply bought some "L" shaped oak trim (i think about 1/2" wide - although you certainly could go bigger depending on the span & weight factor), glued and nailed into side of cabinets and sat shelves on top . In my case i had 1/4" glass cut for shelving . So not only do you get a nice shelf support but it looks good too .

Yes I was thinking something similar to that but putting a peice of trim across the front to hide the supports. As far as the "L" shaped trim are you referring to corner guard? Its roughly 1/2"x1/2"? If so do you have any pics? I am not sure about the glass idea due to it rattling when I crank up the sub although that may look nice

post #300 of 1361 Old 03-14-2009, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Is that what I think it is.....The Six Million Dollar Man, with the Zoom Eye? I had one of those along with the whole unit for hooking him up to wires to simulate him being built/undergoing diagnostics/etc...

Ok, side note...I was going to describe the very setup your pictures contain with the thin wood strip supporting the rack.
IUSteve, I would just go with this and get back to building the rest of your bar/theater!!!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page