Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater--An extremely modest build!! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1361 Old 03-27-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not at all hijack away. That is a slick setup and I especially like the rock wall. Any more info on what it is, the cost and how hard to install? That is sweet. I wish your pics were larger so I could see them better but I have to complain about something....lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1361 Old 03-27-2009, 04:27 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks Steve - the stone is called ledge rock - very easy to install - it's actually a concrete manufactured stone . I think it cost me about $500.00 to buy , including the mortar . As for the pics ( they really don't do the stone justice ) you can click on them and they open in another window . Once that window opens you can click on that photo too for even a larger one.)
post #363 of 1361 Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
malbols,

As long as Hijacking threads is in vogue:
Love the look of your stone wall. How thick is the ledgestone, in other words how far does it protude away from the wall?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #364 of 1361 Old 03-28-2009, 10:26 AM

The stone varies of course to give a natural look , but anywhere from 1 " - 2" thk .
For any cuts , i mounted a (concrete) 10" cutoff wheel to my tablesaw (run dry of course , no water)
post #365 of 1361 Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Malbols
Thanks for the stone info!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #366 of 1361 Old 03-30-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

IUsteve (and others),

Sorry about the temporary thread hijack regarding stonework.
I noticed someone on this thread was researching copper sinks?? Thought I would share the following: I just ordered and received this one from www.premiercopperproducts.com.

They also have a store on Ebay, and also have copper tiles and assorted switchplates - I am not affiliated - just noting that they might be a good resource? We chose the darker patina finish, they also have brighter options. I'll post additional photos on my own thread once i receive my counter-tops and get it mounted.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #367 of 1361 Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice looking sink, I only wish I had made my bar a "wet" bar but I didnt want to mess with running water and drain lines. Anyway not alot going on here as I have been tinkering with the rack and some other small things like poly on some trim peices etc. I also have taken all the old baseboard trim to the garage and sanded it down and stained it the same colora s the bar to match the rest of the room and let me tell you this sucked.

The rack shelving was a peice of cake once I figured out the way i wanted to do it.
I just used 1/2"x3/4" pine and cut to size sanded and painted. I used 3/4" mdf for the shelves and although it doesnt look as nice as most of what I have seen on here it is truly functional and fits my needs very well. I have yet to trim out the front (theater side) as I am waiting on the carpet to get put back in place and thats why no pics from the front.
Heres the shelves installed. Notice the mucked up paint. Yea I painted the inside prior to shelves because I thought painting around all those shelves would be a pain. Well guess what ......I had to paint it all again as the shelves were cut "snug" to fit.

Now the trim has been stained and polyed. This is where the cabinet door that I need to find will go

Looking down into the rack I cut 2 seperate holes for wire management

Its funny how the flash makes the black paint look dirty or dusty but trust me its "BLACK"

Here is a shot below the last shelf and on the left you can see where all my cables come into the rack from the wall. On top is the dedicated 20A electric and below is a simple cable pull through faceplate. In front of that I cut another peice of mdf and installed it as a shield if you will to prevent seeing wires and the surge protector from the front. I mounted it about half way in the middle so that in the front I have a small storage cubby for xbox games and controllers. The rear side (which you see here) gives me a great place help hide all those damn cables

As for updates I havent been doing alot since the arrival of my latest toy.

Our first BD player.....yeeeaaahhh I got this unit (Samsung BDP-1500) for literally half of what BB is selling it for and I am quite pleased. I have it setup in the living room and hooked to our plasma and I am blown away so I can only imagine what I will see in the theater when that time comes. Hopefully I will get back to work soon as I have run out of new Blu ray discs to watch....however I have another toy set to arrive in the next few days.......THE SUB!!!!!

post #368 of 1361 Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Steve,

Your cabinet is going to work out just fine. Looking forward to seeing it from the front, and populated with gear!

I think you will enjoy the Blu-Ray player. I bought a used Samsung 1400 last fall (from Ralph Potts - he is the one doing the reviews in these forums). Aside from lengthy load times it is serving me well. I suspect your 1500 is better in this regard. I have been taking mine back and forth between Family room and the HT room and need to buy a 2nd unit. Can't decide if i will buy one of the newer Samsungs that will stream Netflix, or go with a PS3 (I like the idea of having some media storage capabilities..)?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #369 of 1361 Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Steve,

Your cabinet is going to work out just fine. Looking forward to seeing it from the front, and populated with gear!

I think you will enjoy the Blu-Ray player. I bought a used Samsung 1400 last fall (from Ralph Potts - he is the one doing the reviews in these forums). Aside from lengthy load times it is serving me well. I suspect your 1500 is better in this regard. I have been taking mine back and forth between Family room and the HT room and need to buy a 2nd unit. Can't decide if i will buy one of the newer Samsungs that will stream Netflix, or go with a PS3 (I like the idea of having some media storage capabilities..)?

Thanks for the input, I am so far pleased with this unit. I didnt really have any interest in the Netflix options as I dont do alot of movie watching so this was perfect for me. Load time so far is fairly quick and for the price I paid I couldnt complain anyway. As for the rack....I wont bring the gear down until its time otherwise NOTHING would get done and also that would make me want to purcahse the PJ and I have faught off that tempatation so far. I am though getting closer to that point......so stay tuned

post #370 of 1361 Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

"I didnt really have any interest in the Netflix options as I dont do alot of movie watching"

That will change once the projector is up. I have never looked more forward to the mail each day looking for the red envelope (from netflix).

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #371 of 1361 Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO View Post

That will change once the projector is up. I have never looked more forward to the mail each day looking for the red envelope (from netflix).

Not to worry I have a terrible addiction when it comes to movies. If there is one we want to see I tend to buy it off Ebay rather than rent it....I know foolish but it is in fact a sickness!!

post #372 of 1361 Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Shameless bump"

Not much going on here as I have been dealing with plumbers as the main drain line from our master bath sprung a minor leak in the basement..thankfully we had plastic down from painting so we heard it dripping and had absolutely no damage or problems.

I have also been building another workbench and additional storage in the garage so that I can get organized before it is time to open the pool so I can get to all the pool supplies and equipment. I have been tweaking some small things in the basement in the meantime and will post some updates soon.

post #373 of 1361 Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Wow, sounds like you got lucky, if having a leak can ever be lucky. At least you caught it before it mushroomed into something much more serious. Did you see what happened to Captain Randy's great basement recently when a pipe starting leaking?

post #374 of 1361 Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Wow, sounds like you got lucky, if having a leak can ever be lucky. At least you caught it before it mushroomed into something much more serious. Did you see what happened to Captain Randy's great basement recently when a pipe starting leaking?

Yes I sure did. Actually the main reason I caught it was because I am down there all the time working and the plastic was down from painting recently and I heard it. It was merely a slow drip at best. I mean I put a bucket under it and it would drip every minute or so. It wasnt bad but I know it could of been worse. The good news is the only thing down there it may have damaged would of been the bar......wait thats not a good thing...CRAP!!!

post #375 of 1361 Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Not to worry I have a terrible addiction when it comes to movies. If there is one we want to see I tend to buy it off Ebay rather than rent it....I know foolish but it is in fact a sickness!!

Me too! I don't have a lot of movies or at least not as many as some around here but I tend to buy vs. rent. I also seem to rent the movie and if I like it usually buying it anyway. Go figure. There are only a handful of movies in my collection that I have only watched once.

Hopefully I'm not too late but I would like to chime in on the laminate flooring issue. Two years ago I remodeled our kitchen. We had previously installed laminate flooring around our old cabinets and after removing the old cabinets there were very big gaps around where they had been. When I asked my "flooring guy" what I should do I got two different answers from him. Answer one was since a laminate floor was a floating floor I should put the cabinets in and then redo the flooring. Answer two was go ahead and redo the flooring and then put the cabinets over the laminate flooring. After telling me the second option he said he had not ever had any problems with installing cabinets over laminate flooring even with the expansion and contraction issues.

Since my install I have not had any problems at all. Not one. I do see minor and varying gaps throughout the floor during the summer and winter with them getting slightly larger and smaller with the temperature but no real problems at all. In fact the small gaps were there after the first installation and the new install with the cabinets on the laminate did not affect the gaps one way or the other. Mind you I say gaps but they are very small and do not stand out unless you are really looking for them. I did leave a 1/4" gap at the walls and covered the gap with 1/4 round.

I hope this helps and did not come too late.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #376 of 1361 Old 04-11-2009, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea you may be a little late as I decided to install the floor up to the cabinets rather than under them as I didnt want any problems down the road. Plus if I ever (god for bid)got alot of water in the basement I would be able to get the floor up (all of it) without having to remove the cabinets and countertop behind the bar. I did all this however AFTER I had installed all the floor (even nder where the cabinets were to go) so I had to go back and pull up about 4 rows and make some cuts to go around the cabinets but its all done now with the exception of the baseboards and possbile quarter round as that is what I am working on now. Thanks for the input though

post #377 of 1361 Old 04-13-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time for some long awaited updates to the space. I have been working on a few things (slowly I know) such as the laminate I put between the bar and half wall bar as well as behind the bar. I have also been working on the front face trim for the av rack. Things have been moving slowly as I was hit with a small plumbing issue/leak that I had to hault things in order to fix. Here are some updates.....installing the laminate I apologize as I took a million pics and why not share them right? lol

The peice of quarter round you see against the foot rail of the bar is unstained and just to see if I liked it

Now behind the bar....here i originally installed the entire area and was going to install my cabinets on top of it but I later changed my mind and pulled up about 4 rows and cut it around the cabinets instead
BEFORE:

AFTER:

post #378 of 1361 Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Then I had a small delay in finding someone that would finish the carpet transition up to the laminate as well as peice in the area where I bumped the wall back 18"....the problem was my job is too small although I never was actually told that I know better. But I luckily stumbled upon a great guy that is semi-retired and been doing carpet for 41 years.....and he did a great job and it was cheap as well.....$75!! I originally purchased the T moulding and some reducers that were the same color as the flooring but he decided to just use aluminum z-bar and I have to say at first I was a little skeptical but now I would never do it differently. The z-bar actually is nailed along with the tack strip and the carpet then rolled over and hammered down AND the best part is I got to return the T mould as well as the reducers for a total of $93.....BONUS CASH!!!!!!

Area in theater where I bumped the wall back

post #379 of 1361 Old 04-13-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hey Iusteve - do you think you might be able to post a few photos of what your new laminate floor looks like?

J/K buddy - great job!

post #380 of 1361 Old 04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

That floor looks S W E E T ! ! ! D U D E ! ! ! Very nice. What I'm missing though is more pictures of the bar. HA! Sorry couldn't resist. Looking good. I too have had issues with some of the jobs I want done being too small for someone to come and do for me. I really hate that but I guess it is the nature of the beast. I had a HVAC contractor basically tell me that my job was too small for him to come out and give a "free estimate". That's OK I'll just spend my money with someone else.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #381 of 1361 Old 04-13-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Hey Iusteve - do you think you might be able to post a few photos of what your new laminate floor looks like?

J/K buddy - great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

That floor looks S W E E T ! ! ! D U D E ! ! ! Very nice. What I'm missing though is more pictures of the bar. HA! Sorry couldn't resist. Looking good. I too have had issues with some of the jobs I want done being too small for someone to come and do for me. I really hate that but I guess it is the nature of the beast. I had a HVAC contractor basically tell me that my job was too small for him to come out and give a "free estimate". That's OK I'll just spend my money with someone else.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

RTROSE

You two are absolutely hilarious arent you I posted a "few" pics of the flooring because everyone usually enjoys pictures, next time you will get one picture from 40 feet away I will get some more pics of the bar as soon as there are updates to it. I havent actually done much to the bar in a few weeks. Sometime soon I plan to do the envirotex pour on the top as well as installing a countertop so there is more to come soon so stay tuned if your bored......

post #382 of 1361 Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You two are absolutely hilarious arent you I posted a "few" pics of the flooring because everyone usually enjoys pictures, next time you will get one picture from 40 feet away I will get some more pics of the bar as soon as there are updates to it. I havent actually done much to the bar in a few weeks. Sometime soon I plan to do the envirotex pour on the top as well as installing a countertop so there is more to come soon so stay tuned if your bored......

I'm actually looking forward your impressions on the envirotex and to see how that turns out. Feel free to take as many pictures of that as you feel necessary.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #383 of 1361 Old 04-19-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well its been a few days since any updates have been made. Progress has slowed a little as I have been busy as basball season has started for my 12 year old and well lifes hectic as the coach. We have practive 3 days a week and we are at full speed now so I have been busy. I did however get this baby, I know its not "build" related however it is theatre related.....Premier Acoustic pa-120.....and let me tell you I have been delighted since its arrival

I also got an Auralex subdude for underneath it to help with sound but I dont have any pics of that yet but is has made alot of difference with the subs performance. I will have some other updates (photos) soon as I have been tinkering with an led solution for inside my av rack. I have also been doing alot of the little things like running speaker wire down the wall cavities and installing wall plates for the banana plugs to attatch too as well as wiring banana plugs on all my speaker wires etc. All the little time consuming things that really can eat away a day

post #384 of 1361 Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 AM

Everything is looking really nice! It's great to hear that you are enjoying the sub! I'm not familiar with the Auralex subdude?? What is it? what does it do?

Thanks for humoring me in my attempt to learn all this fun stuff!

Keep up the good work!

Ryan
post #385 of 1361 Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord87 View Post

Everything is looking really nice! It's great to hear that you are enjoying the sub! I'm not familiar with the Auralex subdude?? What is it? what does it do?

Thanks for humoring me in my attempt to learn all this fun stuff!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for looking. The subdude basically is a carpeted platform that is raised by some high density foam to help cut down on bass traveling into your walls and other unwanted areas. It will help "you" feel the bass rather than pictures on the wall rattling etc. Here is a thread that talks all about it.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=644330

post #386 of 1361 Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well progress has slowed here tremendously with the arrival of nice weather and now baseball season. I have been "roped" into coaching my sons 11/12 year old team and that has taken up quite a bit of time as you can imagine. I have been messing with some sort of led lighting idea for the media rack. I have been playing around with these and sice they are in Cali I have to wait forever to receive my order as I have ordered a second order of goodies from them. I got these http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips and also got a remote control module so that I can operate them from anywhere. I may (depending on how carried away I want to get) add some of these in my speaker stands, behind my seating or in the bar area...the possibilities are endless and installation is a sinch. And they you almost no electricity so why not, they are a definate cool factor. I also just received my stands for my surround speakers. I didnt go with any in wall speakers so I needed stands for my 4 surrounds as my fronts are free standing. So with all that I have been putting them together, wiring speakers with banana plugs etc. I am waiting on yet another delivery from my good friends at monoprice any day now. Other than all this I have been installing basboards......and let me tell you this is my first attempt at them and so far I think I have done pretty damn good. Here are a few pics of the theater side and I will get some more of the bar side and some closeups of the corners to brag about my work soon

New corner in rear of theater where I moved the wall back...

Other corner

Other side of wall wall bar (random shot)

Side of av rack (rear)

rack front..

The rack will have a door on the rear to block out any light getting through to the theater side. It is on order (didnt want to attempt this myself) I also need to fill all nail holes,and touch up corners (with stain) on all the trim. I will get some shots of the bar side trim and doors I "re-stained" maybe tomorrow.

post #387 of 1361 Old 04-24-2009, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
how do you like that floor being floated? the guy that installed my engineered floor said it can be floated too, but that floating it makes it have a hollow sound when you walk on it. Now that I went glued I like it, right on the concrete floor it is just solid.

post #388 of 1361 Old 04-24-2009, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

how do you like that floor being floated? the guy that installed my engineered floor said it can be floated too, but that floating it makes it have a hollow sound when you walk on it. Now that I went glued I like it, right on the concrete floor it is just solid.

It has a bit of a hollow sound but only in a few places is it bad. All in all I can live with it since its only down behind the bar and between the bar front and the half wall bar...for the money I cant complain. I paid $.99/foot for the stuff on sale and installed it myself so it was definately cost friendly

post #389 of 1361 Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Iusteve,

Looking Good !!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #390 of 1361 Old 04-24-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
you are the man....nice job.

Randy

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page