Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater--An extremely modest build!! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1361 Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hmmm that's strange . I know you need to get below the frostline with your concrete , but it sounds like you did that , especially if your hole was anywhere near 4' deep. if it was closer to 3' deep then that could be a problem . I think if it were me , for a temporary solution anyway, i'd just remove a little more concrete around the pole , push the pole till straight ,temporarily brace the pole then pour some fresh concrete besidethe pole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1361 Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

So basically are you suggesting that I dig a larger hole all the way around the previous hole (the existing concrete ball) and fill in with concrete wider than before, therefore basically making the concrete base wider for stability? As for the leaning I think its the soil and not the concrete because you can tell its the whole ball of concrete moving underground as it moves the grass and all, does that shed any light??

It wouldn't hurt to dig it wider (how wide is it now?) so you could potentially span any soft areas, but I was talking about tilting it over so that you could see underneath, pouring in some fresh concrete, and putting it back up. This will fill up any voids that are causing the leaning. Now, if the ground is moving around the sides of the concrete, this could be a larger problem. Do you have any pictures?

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #453 of 1361 Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I guess once again it falls to me to provide the real solution. I'm not sure why no one else pointed this out previously. I get tired of carrying you lot around on my back! Too much dead weight cluttering up this forum lately!

Here's what you need to do to get rid of your problem:

1. Dig up and remove the concrete and basketball pole.
2. Hide the evidence behind your neighbor's garage where he won't notice it for a while.
3. Fill the hole with dirt from your neighbor's garden. If you want to diversify, make sure this isn't the same neighbor as in step #2 above.
4. Replace the basket ball hoop with this, which is what you should have installed in the first place:

You're welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #454 of 1361 Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

It wouldn't hurt to dig it wider (how wide is it now?) so you could potentially span any soft areas, but I was talking about tilting it over so that you could see underneath, pouring in some fresh concrete, and putting it back up. This will fill up any voids that are causing the leaning. Now, if the ground is moving around the sides of the concrete, this could be a larger problem. Do you have any pictures?

CJ

I guess what I mean by the ground is moving is just that when you push the pole to one side or the other the ground moves due to the concrete that is attatched to the base of the pole. I will guess that the concrete is somewhere around 18-22" wide but not 100% sure its been a while since I poured it. I basically just dug the hole and poured in a few bags of quikrete and added water, I didnt pre-mix it in a wheelbarrow. As for pulling it completely out I was hoping not to have to do this because I didnt want to have to remove the backboard since it is an adjustable height unit it has levers ans such but if that is your suggestion it may be my only option. As for pics there isnt much to take a pic of currently except a leaning pole. I havent dug up anything yet because I am trying to find someone that can give some solid advice/tips. But if you want a pic of the pole I can take one. I appreciate you trying to help by lending any suggestions/advice on this so please keep it coming.....

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #455 of 1361 Old 08-07-2009, 08:48 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

It's hard to determine the problem without seeing it in person. The one thing that has me perplexed is that the hole is 3-4' deep (somehow I missed this in your original post). That should be deep enough that you wouldn't get any movement unless the soil around it is very soft. Digging around it and pouring additional concrete will help stabilize it. How far you need to go, you won't know without trying it. I wouldn't go through the effort of taking it out. At least it's just a basketball hoop and not a house!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #456 of 1361 Old 08-07-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

It's hard to determine the problem without seeing it in person. The one thing that has me perplexed is that the hole is 3-4' deep (somehow I missed this in your original post). That should be deep enough that you wouldn't get any movement unless the soil around it is very soft. Digging around it and pouring additional concrete will help stabilize it. How far you need to go, you won't know without trying it. I wouldn't go through the effort of taking it out. At least it's just a basketball hoop and not a house!

CJ

I didnt mean its 3-4' deep its more like 18-24" deep. You said you wouldnt go through the trouble of taking it out....what is your final suggestion? I may have mixed my #s.....It is roughly 18-24" deep x about the same acrossed maybe a little less.....what should I do?

post #457 of 1361 Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
IUsteve,

You won't like this however:

-Hey at 18" deep you are too shallow (frost heaves,etc..)
-I would pull it out
-Dig a "Pear shaped" hole 36" deep and replant with concrete

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #458 of 1361 Old 08-07-2009, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

IUsteve,

You won't like this however:

-Hey at 18" deep you are too shallow (frost heaves,etc..)
-I would pull it out
-Dig a "Pear shaped" hole 36" deep and replant with concrete

Assuming I take this advice.....I assume it will be ok to leave the existing ball of concrete that is (and will be when I dig it up) attatched to the base of the pole? So am I correct in assuming that you mean to basically dig it up, dig a larger (pear shaped) hole and fill around the existing concrete with more......Help soon I plan on attacking Sunday

post #459 of 1361 Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

IUSteve,

Although I have planted two hoops in concrete - I am no expert.
However; both of mine were "planted" as originally described (36" deep in a concrete filled - pear shaped hole); and I have never had a problem with either one.

Yes; I would leave the old concrete attached, just hose it down to get all of the dirt off.
I suspect it will then have a rough and clean surface to bond to the new concrete in your "new and improved" hole.

(I'm getting a sore back just thinking of the task ahead of you - take it easy and go slow)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #460 of 1361 Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 AM

If you want to make life easy on yourself go get a Dingo for four hours. It'll make short work of this project.

Something like this.
http://www.dingo.ws/html/att/posthole.htm

If at first you do succeed- try to hide your astonishment.

My Concrete Counter Build!

post #461 of 1361 Old 08-08-2009, 09:59 AM

yup Steve - you have to get below that frost line - i'd dig at leat 36" down , maybe even 48" to be sure
post #462 of 1361 Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok guys heres the issue. I can only go so far down because the pole is only so tall. It is one of those adjustable height jobs so the backboard is attatched via 2 extension arms that stick up above the top of the actual pole. I am sure its close to 36" deep but dont totally remember. I will attempt the dig tomorrow when its supposed be 94 degrees and super humid.....ugggh!!

post #463 of 1361 Old 08-10-2009, 05:16 AM

The pole wouldn't have to be 4 ft. deep , just the concrete . If you are concerned though you could extend the pole by slipping a piece of pipe over or in the existing pole .
post #464 of 1361 Old 08-10-2009, 11:03 AM

To be honest I would dig it all up and start over, I would even remove the existing concrete around it otherwise that will be the weak point on it. I assume you do not want to do this all over again like your doing now from the first time so I would just do it right this 2nd time. If it has moved with the concrete still attached on the pole then you definately didn't go deep enough or wide enough.
I would go minimum 36" deep in a pear shape like cuzed2 said. at least 2 feet wide and I would take your time and brace it all so you can repour it all at once. I have done several of these (I used to be a finisher for a concrete company). I would also suggest mixing it in the wheelbarrow first and then pour it, tapper the top so the water runs off the top of the concrete, I would also fill the pole a little with concrete inside the entire amount that is in the concrete and about 15 inches above if possible (depends if your pole comes in sections or not) then wait at least 3 days before adding the back board...sucks I know but don't want you to have to redo it down the road again.
And by the way the tex job on the bar looks sweet, just like glass...nice job.

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #465 of 1361 Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO View Post

To be honest I would dig it all up and start over, I would even remove the existing concrete around it otherwise that will be the weak point on it. I assume you do not want to do this all over again like your doing now from the first time so I would just do it right this 2nd time. If it has moved with the concrete still attached on the pole then you definately didn't go deep enough or wide enough.
I would go minimum 36" deep in a pear shape like cuzed2 said. at least 2 feet wide and I would take your time and brace it all so you can repour it all at once. I have done several of these (I used to be a finisher for a concrete company). I would also suggest mixing it in the wheelbarrow first and then pour it, tapper the top so the water runs off the top of the concrete, I would also fill the pole a little with concrete inside the entire amount that is in the concrete and about 15 inches above if possible (depends if your pole comes in sections or not) then wait at least 3 days before adding the back board...sucks I know but don't want you to have to redo it down the road again.
And by the way the tex job on the bar looks sweet, just like glass...nice job.

So all along I had a concrete pro right here he just has been MIA.....???? Well your a day late and a dollar short pal...

Yesterday I got a buddy (meaning I tricked him) to come over on the hottest day of the year.....(heat index well over 100) and we tackled this job. We dug it up and what had happened was that the original quikrete (that I poured then added water too, I know foolish) only cured about 8 inches down below ground. All the quikrete was powder form still (after 2 years). So I took and tapped that and it fell right off. So I decide to dig a box and frame it about 30 inches x 30 inches. Due to time restraints etc I purchased the quikrete for this the day before because he could only help me this day. Well we poured this hole with the 8 (80lb.) bags of quikrete and struck it off a little above ground level. Also braced the bole from 3 sides. Personally I am not sure this is going to be enough concrete still but we did pre-mix each bag in a wheel barrow this time and it should atleast be better than what I had. Basically all that was holding it up was the soil and this 12" (across) x 6" deep concrete donut. As for concrete in the pole itself we did do this the first time so it may still be holding it up somewhat.....We didnt dig all the way to the base of the pole. All in all this should be better but due to time and the fact that is was so un-godly hot we weretrying to get in done.....maybe the fact that I have been instructed to get it done in time for my sons 13th b-day party in less than 2 weeks had something to do with it....... Only time will tell and who knows I may in fact be doing this again sometime soon........

post #466 of 1361 Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

IUSteve,

30" deep and 8 bags of pre-mixed concrete >> I'm thinking you will be OK...

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #467 of 1361 Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IUSteve,

30" deep and 8 bags of pre-mixed concrete >> I'm thinking you will be OK...

No it isnt 30" deep that was 30" square. Depth is alot shallower than that. I only got 8 bags (stupid mistake that I may in fact pay for) and we didnt have time to go Lowes (plus they were closed).........not sure what the actual depth was....

post #468 of 1361 Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 AM

lol - good luck Steve - the main thing was getting below the frost line but it doesn't sound like that happened - oh well
post #469 of 1361 Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Well, it will either work or you've made it quite a bit harder on yourself! In any case, it should be fine for your son's birthday.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #470 of 1361 Old 08-12-2009, 05:11 AM

[quote=Iusteve;16978987]So all along I had a concrete pro right here he just has been MIA.....???? Well your a day late and a dollar short pal...

I know I know, but hey I 've been on 2 times this month so thats a start.

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #471 of 1361 Old 09-04-2009, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hey,

I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth until you showed up over in my thread. You never did report back on the success or lack thereof on the B-ball goal issue. Is it still standing, were there any kids harmed at the party due to faulty concrete skills? Come on man inquiring minds want to know.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #472 of 1361 Old 09-04-2009, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Hey,

I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth until you showed up over in my thread. You never did report back on the success or lack thereof on the B-ball goal issue. Is it still standing, were there any kids harmed at the party due to faulty concrete skills? Come on man inquiring minds want to know.

Regards,

RTROSE

Hahaha Ok ok I apologize for the lack of "quality" reporting. Yes its still standing and no there werent any kids harmed with the faulty concrete skills. I think it will be fine. The true test is going to be this winter when the ground freezes and then thaws. We will then see what happens...will it heave or stay put that is the real question....until then GAME ON!!!

I suppose I could have taken a picture of the final result to show my craftmenship

post #473 of 1361 Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Show Us the Photos !!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #474 of 1361 Old 09-04-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Show Us the Photos !!

I was hoping noone would ask that question as I just made that comment as a mere formality...LOL. I really didnt take a single picture that day as the temp was 97 degrees and we were struggling to get it done before we died of heat exhaustion. Therefore the only pic I "could" take would be of the finished product and nothing underground. I suppose if there is still interest I could go pop a pic for you but really is concrete all that exciting?? (this coming from a true picture guy)

post #475 of 1361 Old 09-04-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

I suppose if there is still interest I could go pop a pic for you but really is concrete all that exciting?? (this coming from a true picture guy)

post #476 of 1361 Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok kids if you want basketball hoop pics no matter how boring they are then I will get you some. As for bar building I have a question/need some help.

I plan on building a back bar unit similar to Randy's http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=640633 look about post #14-15 if you are unfamiliar. The question I have is how to hang/attach it to the wall. I want to try to avoind using "L" brackets like he did because unlike him I have no cabinets or anything underneath to hide the brackets, my area below is going to be open so I dont want them to be a focal point. Any help????

post #477 of 1361 Old 09-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Hide the "L" brackets with a piece of trim after the cabinet is attached to the wall.

Thanks,

Mike

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #478 of 1361 Old 09-04-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

While you are taking a picture of the concrete why don't you snap a few pics of the area in question so I, we can get a better idea of where this will go. I saw a unique solution to a similar situation on DIY network. They build a type of shelf/counter and they used "L" brackets but I think turned them sideways and the counter was a box made from ply material and was about three inches tall. the box then slid over the brackets hiding them inside of the box. I hope my explanation make sense.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #479 of 1361 Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

While you are taking a picture of the concrete why don't you snap a few pics of the area in question so I, we can get a better idea of where this will go. I saw a unique solution to a similar situation on DIY network. They build a type of shelf/counter and they used "L" brackets but I think turned them sideways and the counter was a box made from ply material and was about three inches tall. the box then slid over the brackets hiding them inside of the box. I hope my explanation make sense.

Regards,

RTROSE

Wow if you had more detail I would be super envious of you. Anything I can come up with to hang and hide any brackets would be awesome

post #480 of 1361 Old 09-06-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I was actually trying to find the link for you on the DIY site, but I can't seem to locate it anywhere.

Here is how I envision it looking where five sides of the "box" would be finished and the back left open to slide over the brackets.

A commercial shelf that is available that looks like what I'm talking about so at least you can "see" what direction I'm going.

I goes to figure, though. I was watching that episode I don't know how many months ago and saw them do the hidden bracket thing and thought to myself how slick that was. Now I can't find the gal darn thing. Sort of like moving around the same miscellaneous screw container (or scrap lumber pile), for months and years on end to finally throw away, only to realize three days later you could have used some of those "extras".

Link to the shelf I'm talking about.

http://www.wall-shelf.cn/hidden-bracket-shelf-1.htm

Regards,

RTROSE

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page