Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater--An extremely modest build!! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1361 Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, sorry I didn't mean to kill your thread.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1361 Old 10-24-2009, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

Wow, sorry I didn't mean to kill your thread.

Naw dont worry this thread was killed a loooong time ago! Never fear though as work is being done I just havent uploaded pics yet

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #543 of 1361 Old 10-24-2009, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Your thread is not dead. Just in a coma! Nah just kidding. Have not stopped by for a while. The cabinet and the mirror look very nice. Could have done without your mug in the reflection though, at least you were fully clothed! 8-)

You claim to have made progress and even have pics, but that is just hot air without the evidence to back it up. Lets see those pics! I can't blame you though I have been there many times. Just stay with it and progress will come.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #544 of 1361 Old 10-25-2009, 08:24 PM

Yea lets see some new photos already......... slacker...LOL

The Copper Pub /Corey Lane Cinema

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #545 of 1361 Old 11-01-2009, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO View Post

Yea lets see some new photos already......... slacker...LOL

Ok ok already I do have some minor progress to report. I have been busy doing some "little" things like getting my ceiling tiles painted, building my risers for my last minute 2nd row addition, getting that carpeted, oh and last minute chair rail installation in one of our bathrooms so my attention has been all over the place to say the least. I have also been doing some last minute research into my projector of choice. I think the fact we are midway through football season and I cant watch games on the big screen is truly eating at me This I think has given me a little push toward completion.

Ok so as stated before I already had a finished basement and instead of purchasing new black tiles I decided to paint my existing tiles black (cost saver). My plan was to use an air sprayer and knock them out quick.

The plan....

So I assembled a makeshift tent city in the garage and "strategically" placed all my tiles inside....

And painted them all....this is where the problem occurred. My air compressor was not up for the task as I was able to spray about 1/4-1/3 of a tile before I had to wait for it to build back up air pressure. It worked well but took FOREVER

As you can see above the tiles had some streaks to them due to the sprayer/compressor issues as well as poor lighting. So I decided to let them dry and then destroy "tent city" and place them all flat throughout the garage and simply repaint them all via a roller. The results were 100x better after this and if I had to do it all over again I would of just done it this was from the beginning.

post #546 of 1361 Old 11-01-2009, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didnt take any pics of the tiles after being painted the final time so we move onto to the install......instead of painting the white metal grids I decided to use black cloth tape for a couple reasons. 1) I didnt want the hassle of trying to paint the metal as well as the neck cramps from so much detail painting over my head and 2) with the cloth tape its less permanent so that if/when we sell the house and the new owners do not want it black they can simply remove the tape and boom. The grids are 1" wide so I used a 1 1/2" wide tape so that I could wrap the grid 1/4" on either side and the weight of the tiles would help hold the tape in place. This may seem like a foolish way to do it but let me say that its very inexpensive and doesnt look bad at all.
Here are some shots of the beginning of the install, I will add some more with all the tiles up soon.

Still have to paint the trim plates that go around the can lights and get them up

The white specks in the air are merely dust and particles from the tiles that my camera picked up, the white stuff near the grid on the ceiling tiles is the tile material where I got against the tape when re-installing the tiles and simply needs to be wiped down with a damp rag which I have yet to do. All in all the change from a white ceiling in the theater to a black one has really changed the appearance of the room (for the better).

post #547 of 1361 Old 11-01-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Nice work! You will notice a big improvement!
post #548 of 1361 Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 PM

Looking good, I like the cloth tape idea now that I see it. Did you go with a flat black paint ? I did and what a pain when you try and wipe it down....just wondering if you had the same trouble.

post #549 of 1361 Old 11-01-2009, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking good, I like the cloth tape idea now that I see it. Did you go with a flat black paint ? I did and what a pain when you try and wipe it down....just wondering if you had the same trouble.

Yea flat black paint. No problems wiping it down. I think thats because its on ceiling tiles as opposed to on walls. The flat paint we used on the theater walls I regret daily and were not even using the room yet. The tape actually looks better since I have fixed the bad spots and wiped all the ceiling tile crap off of it

post #550 of 1361 Old 11-02-2009, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

I like the tape idea, no matter how flat a flat paint is you'll still get some shine from it.

Looks great, now I just need to get a little motivation of my own. Saturdays are dedicated to college football so 3 more weeks and I'll have weekends back.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #551 of 1361 Old 11-02-2009, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Yea flat black paint. No problems wiping it down. I think thats because its on ceiling tiles as opposed to on walls. The flat paint we used on the theater walls I regret daily and were not even using the room yet.

I'm just about to paint - what would you do instead of flat on the walls, knowing what you know now?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #552 of 1361 Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I'm just about to paint - what would you do instead of flat on the walls, knowing what you know now?

Buy extra paint (everytime I wipe mine down it looks like crap so now I wipe it down and then repaint the area which is a PITA but it looks better than just wiping it down) I used Behr Mickey Mouse ears flat black paint. Hopefully some people can chime in with their paint and if they have the same issue.

post #553 of 1361 Old 11-02-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably try the next sheen up......eggshell or whatever is next up on the tier. I dont know if that would make that much difference but flat paint is not friendly to the touch

post #554 of 1361 Old 11-02-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably try the next sheen up......eggshell or whatever is next up on the tier. I dont know if that would make that much difference but flat paint is not friendly to the touch

That's what I did. Just picked up a "flat enamel" which I'm told is one step up from flat, but can be cleaned like an enamel. We'll see.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #555 of 1361 Old 11-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:

That's what I did. Just picked up a "flat enamel" which I'm told is one step up from flat, but can be cleaned like an enamel. We'll see.

Let us know how that works out or anyone else chime in, I was worried about reflection but now knowing what I know i'll take that over repainting everytime. If it is fine then maybe I'll just paint over mine on last time and be done with it. It's either that or add a star ceiling .

post #556 of 1361 Old 11-02-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hanes let us know and I will pass that info on to the mrs. so she can re-paint

Quote:

Let us know how that works out or anyone else chime in, I was worried about reflection but now knowing what I know i'll take that over repainting everytime. If it is fine then maybe I'll just paint over mine on last time and be done with it. It's either that or add a star ceiling .

Dennis I thought you knew by now there is noone else even following this thread anymore (assuming that there was in the first place) I think the summer delay lost all my loyal followers.......As for the flat I really like how it looks but am afraid of it once the theater finalls gets actual use.

post #557 of 1361 Old 11-02-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Dennis I thought you knew by now there is noone else even following this thread anymore (assuming that there was in the first place) I think the summer delay lost all my loyal followers.......As for the flat I really like how it looks but am afraid of it once the theater finalls gets actual use.

Well I guess it's just back to you and I then.... I like the flat black just a bitch to clean anything off it, I have a heat duct which blew some dust or whatever and I tried to wipe it up and that's how I realize what a PITA it is. Luckily the paint hides everything and matches good.

post #558 of 1361 Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hanes let us know and I will pass that info on to the mrs. so she can re-paint

I'll let you know ... eventually. I'll be glad if I get the paint up sometime this week. I still have an electrical issue or two to resolve before I paint.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #559 of 1361 Old 11-05-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll let you know ... eventually. I'll be glad if I get the paint up sometime this week. I still have an electrical issue or two to resolve before I paint.

Dont forget our update now.......I know the feeling I have a few electrical issues to resolve as well. Like getting an electrician here to run an outlet for the pj, wire up the outlet for the av rack, add a switch to the outlet that i have for the rope light (when I get to it), replace 3 existing dimmers with the 3 new Lutron Maestro's I ordered from Dimmers.net (thanks Oman321)........among a few other projects for said electrician

post #560 of 1361 Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Tiles look good. The tape idea is a good one and I think the reason stated is a sound one. You will really appreciate having dark/black ceiling. This alone will really enhance the light control in the room.

I am planning on using an eggshell or matte finish with my paint selection. Staying away from the flat finishes due the unforgiving nature of the finish.

Looking good, keep the progress up.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #561 of 1361 Old 11-06-2009, 06:05 AM
HT1

I used Pittsburgh Paints (Menards) eggshell on my entire basement. I have no regrets at all. I get a little reflection from the screen wall but I don't think you can get rid of that with any paint. And with 2 kids and all of their friends who can't keep their grubby little hands off the walls there have been no problems wiping them down with a damp clothe.

I like this place!!!
HT1
Check Out Bar / Theater 1.0
post #562 of 1361 Old 11-06-2009, 07:46 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Dont forget our update now.......I know the feeling I have a few electrical issues to resolve as well. Like getting an electrician here to run an outlet for the pj, wire up the outlet for the av rack, add a switch to the outlet that i have for the rope light (when I get to it), replace 3 existing dimmers with the 3 new Lutron Maestro's I ordered from Dimmers.net (thanks Oman321)........among a few other projects for said electrician

When do the Maestros and electrician get there? I'm looking at the same system (of course you knew that when you responded to my thread). I'm anxious to hear how that works out. You better get on it, if the Speedo Dudes show up you're gonna want some working dimmers... with those guys, the lower the lighting, the better. Then again, don't let it get too dark... nobody wants to stumble around in the dark with the Speedo Dudes.
post #563 of 1361 Old 11-07-2009, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WEEKEND UPDATE: Electrical work done! Wired all the outlets and installed a switch for the trey lights. And here's the most amazing part: it all WORKS!!

Now I'm not here to gloat - I can do that in my own thread - but to tell you to consider trying some of the wiring work with the outlets, etc. yourself. I had never done any of that, really, and between a book, an indecipherable sketch my electrician did on the back of a cardboard box, and a drink or two, I managed myself. Outlets, switches, dimmers ... all bowed down before me and my electrical genius!

Try it, you'll like it!!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #564 of 1361 Old 11-07-2009, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WEEKEND UPDATE: Electrical work done! Wired all the outlets and installed a switch for the trey lights. And here's the most amazing part: it all WORKS!!

Now I'm not here to gloat - I can do that in my own thread - but to tell you to consider trying some of the wiring work with the outlets, etc. yourself. I had never done any of that, really, and between a book, an indecipherable sketch my electrician did on the back of a cardboard box, and a drink or two, I managed myself. Outlets, switches, dimmers ... all bowed down before me and my electrical genius!

Try it, you'll like it!!

Thanks for the boost of confidence. I actually did all the wiring thus far. Well that is I moved an outlet, wired up two new ones, removed one and it all works. But now what I need done is an outlet wired for the projector and that outlet to be tied into the breaker box (this is the part that makes me nervous) along with a switch added to an existing outlet(this confuses me) and a few new lights ran........

post #565 of 1361 Old 11-07-2009, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the boost of confidence. I actually did all the wiring thus far. Well that is I moved an outlet, wired up two new ones, removed one and it all works. But now what I need done is an outlet wired for the projector and that outlet to be tied into the breaker box (this is the part that makes me nervous) along with a switch added to an existing outlet(this confuses me) and a few new lights ran........

Man, that sounds familiar! I had an electrician I used on an earlier project who agreed to act as my consultant - paid at this regular hourly rate - and to come in and do the things I couldn't do on my own. I had him essentially plan out the circuits, then I pulled the wires and connected them, except I had him connect everything to the breaker box.

I also had to add a switch to an outlet I added for my trey lights. The sketch the electrician did for me made sense when he drew it and explained it, but when I went to do the work a few days later it looked like Greek. But then I found instructions in a book I have, and that clarified and supported what he had said, and in the end it turned out to be very easy - turns out it is called "end line wiring" for a switch. Who knew?

All I know is I can now flip a switch to turn the try light outlets on or off!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #566 of 1361 Old 11-12-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok I have a question for those of you that still have my channel tuned in here. If I said to you that I needed the following done what kind of estimate would you come back with? Now I am looking for educated reasonable quotes. I want to know what you all think it should cost.

1) I need an outlet wired up above my projector shelf (wiring already ran from breaker panel to the area, did it myself) and this line tied into the panel.
2) I want a switch added to an existing outlet just 3 feet below where the outlet is now.
3) Switch out 3 existing dimmers with Lutron Maestros's (which I already have) in a pre-existing box.
4) Add 3 additional can lights to a pre-existing run of 3. Electrician to supply these 3 cans ($20 each).

What would you expect to pay for said work?

post #567 of 1361 Old 11-12-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

If you could borrow my electrician it would cost you a 40.00 gift cert. to Texas Road House, having said that I would be guessing what two to three hundred? This should be pretty doable in a day or less worth of labor. This is just a wild guess, but hopefully close to the ballpark.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #568 of 1361 Old 11-18-2009, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrederickjr View Post

When do the Maestros and electrician get there? I'm looking at the same system (of course you knew that when you responded to my thread). I'm anxious to hear how that works out. You better get on it, if the Speedo Dudes show up you're gonna want some working dimmers... with those guys, the lower the lighting, the better. Then again, don't let it get too dark... nobody wants to stumble around in the dark with the Speedo Dudes.

Ok in an attempt to quickly (and quietly) ward off those pesky speedo guys (for those that dont know they are Defredrickjr's distant cousins who spend their summers floating around the lake there in Nebraska in there homemade speedo's and ohhh what a sight. For those that dont know and are interested please refer to earlier posts in his thread or possibly mine. But dont say that you werent warned) I will tell you that I indeed went with the Lutron Maestro's for two simple reasons...1-Cost, these things at $40/each cant be beat and 2-I am simple and wanted a simple light control setup that was not too complicated. I recently received the switches and had an electrician come out to complete my above list.
He was here for about 4 1/2 hours and managed to install the 3 Lutrons, change out an existing outlet with a new one and add a switch to that outlet (didnt previously have one) for the rope lights (down the road), He also wired up the outlet for my av rack and the projector and tied those into my panel. He also added one more can light above the bar and two above the half wall bar that had no lights before. I have yet to see a bill but let me tell you the lutrons (though simple) are super cool to me and I cant stop playing with them.
I really dont have many pics to share regarding all the above except a shaky (blurry) pic of the installed switches as I didnt take any pics during the time he was here. But I will give you what I got for the heck of it.......

post #569 of 1361 Old 11-18-2009, 05:23 PM

Liked: 12
lol... Nicely worded.

I'm looking forward to hearing how that turns out once you get 'em programmed and working. The main thing that I'm wondering about is how well they'll pick up a signal from my universal remote, and from what angles they'll work from. I'd be putting one on the screen wall (opposite side from the IR sensor), and I'd be putting the other(s) on the left side wall (which is also opposite from the IR sensor). It doesn't seem like the Harmony One has a very wide IR field (at least not up & down), so I might be looking at additional blasters or something else entirely.
post #570 of 1361 Old 11-19-2009, 05:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrederickjr View Post

lol... Nicely worded.
The main thing that I'm wondering about is how well they'll pick up a signal from my universal remote, and from what angles they'll work from. I'd be putting one on the screen wall (opposite side from the IR sensor), and I'd be putting the other(s) on the left side wall (which is also opposite from the IR sensor). It doesn't seem like the Harmony One has a very wide IR field (at least not up & down), so I might be looking at additional blasters or something else entirely.

I can chime in a bit on this. I have quite a few of these dimmers installed throughout the house and the field of activation is quite good even in terms of "bouncing" the IR to get to the switch. I have used with my URC MX-500 and works surprisingly well!

Looking Great Iusteve

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page