Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater--An extremely modest build!! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1361 Old 01-06-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Holy Crap, now I'm confused and I have not even posted commenting on this particular issue.

Link for you. Here.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1361 Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok enough about tile (for now) and on to something that may be compared to progress. I now have an "Official" second row of seating. By this I mean I had my carpet guy out to carpet both tiers. Since the basement was already carpeted he just took the extra piece I had cut out to install the laminate flooring in the bar area and used it for the bottom riser.
Here is the bottom carpeted.......

He suggested that I just carpet the bottom riser completely and then install the top riser and carpet it.....probably easier for him and didnt really matter to me either way. So here is the top riser with 3/4" ply base, 2x6 framing with 2x4 cross supports.

Another angle.....

I packed both FULL of insulation but didnt get any pics. Next up I had him carpet the top riser. I didnt have any carpet left from the basement and since it was carpeted when we bought the house I couldnt find an exact match. So instead of getting something close and have it look bad because they were off by just a shade I decided to just go with a bit darker carpet. I got this darker brown that matches the cocoa brown walls and my berklines very well. Almost a complimentary tie in for the space.
Here is the top carpeted........

Top view....

Corner of the seating riser......

Now I know these arent screenshots and I have yet to really get any "good" ones since I am only using a bed sheet currently BUT for those that are demanding them they are coming I promise......

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #723 of 1361 Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also managed to re-install the baseboards in the theater side. Here is what I thought to be a tricky series of cuts for me since i have never done baseboard trim before but turned out to be relatively easy.

Still need to fill nail holes etc. Sorry these are blurry, I think my camera battery was getting low

post #724 of 1361 Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good man! I think you did the right thing regarding the color choice. I am however upset that you did not use me as your carpet consultant especially since it is in my signature. Good job anyway! We want screen shots anyway!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #725 of 1361 Old 01-09-2010, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
what exactly is carpet counselor i like that title

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #726 of 1361 Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok back to my tile planning. I have never attempted to tile before so i have a few newbie questions. I am using a piece of oak trim in front of the tiles and am not sure on how to finish the tile up next to that. I have a few pics here of my situation

Now I wanted to tile first then install the oak trim so I can stain it and not get grout all over it but is that the way to do it or is there another/better way? I am not sure on where to start the tiles in reference to the oak trim? Against or 1/4" spaced (same as my tile spacing)? And what do I fill the gap with? Caulk/grout? I am lost here. ANyone????

post #727 of 1361 Old 01-09-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
THey say, whenever changing planes or material, to not grout. You can find some products that are very much like caulk, can match very close to your grout, to use instead. I forget what it is called but its like caulk mixed with sand. I used it when I tiled my floor and instead of putting in t-molding to transition to my hard wood floor, I used this special caulk so that I had 1/4" gap and it looks like grout, but its not.

The purpose is so that there is some flex. Wood tends to expand and contract (and in my cased with 800+ sq ft of flooring, I couldnt risk the flooring expanding and busting up the grout.

However, you dont have much wood, so you should be ok to just go with grout, but you may see some separation but it will be minimal.
post #728 of 1361 Old 01-09-2010, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

what exactly is carpet counselor i like that title

elmalloc,

By chance are you currently, or have you ever procrastinated or loathed that task of carpet shopping?

If so; you need the assistance of a certified CC. And let me tell you RT is the best in the business! Heck; I even dumped my shrink, and gave up the sleeping pills.

Three or 4 sessions of RTs prodding and all was well with my carpet world !!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #729 of 1361 Old 01-10-2010, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The grout I was talking about (again only for transition of material and I am not sure it would be required with your tile and wood trim, but this is what I did) is called Sanded Grout.. You can find it anywhere. The trick is to find the one to match your grout color so that it all looks like grout and only you know the difference.

Here is from my tiling and hardwood project (this brings back some memories for me)

Notice the intended 1/4" gap between hardwood and tile...

Because I had some depth to deal with since I put down backerboard first, I filled in some space with Caulk Backer Rod (you can get this almost any big box store or tile store)

Only with a flash do the colors of grout and caulk show slightly different shades.
Make sure you tape off the tile and hardwood when you apply and smooth the caulk. Let it setup a little before peeling the tape, carefully.
post #730 of 1361 Old 01-10-2010, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Doug I will look for this stuff when I get my grout. I assume I can get it @ Lowes, Menards, Home Depot etc? Now should I tile then install the wood trim or vice versa? I dont want to get mastic/grout on the trim. Also what do I do on one side where the tile will butt up next to a wall (finished drywall)?

post #731 of 1361 Old 01-10-2010, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Thanks Doug I will look for this stuff when I get my grout. I assume I can get it @ Lowes, Menards, Home Depot etc? Now should I tile then install the wood trim or vice versa? I dont want to get mastic/grout on the trim. Also what do I do on one side where the tile will butt up next to a wall (finished drywall)?

Yes, you should be able to get it at those stores listed. I would try and do the tiling first...like you said, to avoid getting mastic/grout on the trim.

As for you last question, are you refering to an inside corner? Its hard to say, can you take a picture of where all this is going so I can see. From a guess, I would think you would just butt right up to that corner, no trim needed. But lets see a pic first before I go further.
post #732 of 1361 Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will get a picture here in a second. But what I am referring to is actually a corner but also the one whole side of the back bar is against a finished wall so I am unsure if I should space (1/4") away from the wall or butt up against the wall and what to fill with? I will go snap a pic

post #733 of 1361 Old 01-10-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The upper left I still need to put a peice of backer board/drywall in that hole but this wall is where I am in question

post #734 of 1361 Old 01-10-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will get a picture here in a second. But what I am referring to is actually a corner but also the one whole side of the back bar is against a finished wall so I am unsure if I should space (1/4") away from the wall or butt up against the wall and what to fill with? I will go snap a pic

Hmmm, the other pics with the tile, I thought was the backsplash, but now I am thinking that is the counter top? Perhaps a pic further back to see it all would help.

As for the corner, if not continuing to tile on the turn wall, then here is where you will want to use caulk (again, as its due to changing planes whether wall to wall or wall to floor/ceiling)
post #735 of 1361 Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The first two pics are the countertop looking straight down. The wood trim piece you see is the edge of the counter and where the tile meets up with the trim piece. The last picture i posted was also the same countertop where (on the left side) it will butt up against a wall. If you look (at the last pic) you can see the cabinet/drawer below the backer board. Does my description help?

post #736 of 1361 Old 01-10-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The first two pics are the countertop looking straight down. The wood trim piece you see is the edge of the counter and where the tile meets up with the trim piece. The last picture i posted was also the same countertop where (on the left side) it will butt up against a wall. If you look (at the last pic) you can see the cabinet/drawer below the backer board. Does my description help?

That makes sense to me...but what about the backsplash?
post #737 of 1361 Old 01-10-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

elmalloc,

By chance are you currently, or have you ever procrastinated or loathed that task of carpet shopping?

If so; you need the assistance of a certified CC. And let me tell you RT is the best in the business! Heck; I even dumped my shrink, and gave up the sleeping pills.

Three or 4 sessions of RTs prodding and all was well with my carpet world !!!

Could not have said it better myself. Thanks cuzed. Oh and my fees are very, very reasonable. Much cheaper than a shrink, and I take most insurance plans!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #738 of 1361 Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

That makes sense to me...but what about the backsplash?

I am using 1"x1"x12" ceramic sheest for the backsplash. Its what you see in the first two pics between the 6"x6" tiles. Now on to my questions/issues. What should I do next to that wall in regards to the tiles? Up against or 1/4" gap? Sanded grout, grout or caulk? Also since you mentioned it where my 6x6 tiles meet the bottom of the backsplash tiles should I grout or sanded grout or caulk there? Answers my friend answers I need them

post #739 of 1361 Old 01-25-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So things have been a bit hit and miss around here as far as work/progress since the arrival of the projector (I know I was repeatedly warned) but it is all for the good? Right?! We have enjoyed alot of xbox time (my son and I) and several good blu-rays in the theater since we got the pj including this past weekend.....Transformers 2 and Paranormal Activity. Now Transformers was simply SPECTACULAR with all the special effects and such, I along with the family was absolutely blown away!!! Th Panny puts out an AMAZING picture even on a bedsheet And while Paranormal Activity IMO was a terribly slow movie that was silly to say the least it had some great bass moments and the sudden "scary" parts (you know the ones that make you suddenly leap out of your seat, pee your pants or better yet both) really got us good. So I have been doing a few small things here and there as well as this little tile project for the counter and back splash on the bar and the back splash for the half wall bar and all in all it went fairly well for my first time. So like many of you I will be scrambling to get the basement superbowl ready to watch my Colts do their thang in 2 weeks!! Maybe I will even have a screen up by then but that may be pushing it a little since I have yet to decide on a screen size or order it yet.

I do have a few pics of seating in place after I got the risers built and carpeted. I had been waiting a LONG time to get these babies out of their packaging since my spur of the moment run to Costco way back when

And here are a few with our front row in place. This is the old couch we have used down there for sometime and absolutely love. It is super long, sits very low to ground making viewing over (from the back row) and breeze and is extremely comfortable. We are contemplating getting it reupholstered in a similar color to the theater seats down the road but for now it is what it is.

For those waiting for screenshots.....I forgot to take some when we watched Transformers 2 and we returned it last night. I also have been holding out since all I am projecting on is a bedsheet so the quality is a bit poor but I will give you a few. Keep in mind the sheet as well as they are a little blurry but hey they are screenshots.....right?!

The first movie we watched, The Invincibles.....

These I hope will hold some of you over until I get a screen and get some "good" shots. I also will get some tile pics up as soon as I get them downloaded.

post #740 of 1361 Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 AM

Liked: 12
It's looking good Steve! If you want to pretty up that couch for the Superbowl, you might take a look at slip-covers. I have no idea how well they work, but they look good in the pictures and I assume they're way cheaper than reupholstering. I've seen lots of shades of brown at Target, and I've thought about using them in my basement if we ever decide to bring those vintage couches into the 21st century.

And jumping into the WABAC machine, how are those Lutron Maestros working for you? I still haven't pulled the trigger on them, but that and some soffit lighting is next on my list. How did you end up implementing the pre-programmed setting and on and off with the universal remote and all? Got 'em tied in to play & pause? I'm hoping they worked the way we thought they did a few pages back and back in my thread.

Good luck getting it ready for the ball game. And go Colts! Or Saints. Or Colts. Or... aw, nevermind, I have no strong feelings for either of them.
post #741 of 1361 Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
IUSteve,

Looking good my man!!
Nice chairs - so you caught one of the Berkline specials at Costco? Well done!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #742 of 1361 Old 01-26-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Nice, Dude!
post #743 of 1361 Old 01-27-2010, 02:38 PM

Liked: 10
NICE !!!!!! It's coming along quite well Steve O.

The Copper Pub /Corey Lane Cinema

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #744 of 1361 Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I am certainly happy to see that there is atleast three poor/bored souls that still have an eye on my thread and are here to help keep it somewhat clinging to life only to avoid the depths of no return. Seriously I just assumed there was noone left to witness what I call progress!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

IUSteve,

Looking good my man!!
Nice chairs - so you caught one of the Berkline specials at Costco? Well done!

Craig, Thank you. Yes I caught this deal sometime last year, If I recall they were under $500 for the set of 3. I wish I would of got 2 but at the time I only thought I had room for 1 row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

Nice, Dude!

Thanks Randy I appreciate it as any compliment from you means alot to so many of us because it was your build thread that I and so many others first stumbled upon when I discovered AVS all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO View Post

NICE !!!!!! It's coming along quite well Steve O.

Dennis thanks I appreciate it and am certainly happy to see that the past summer and this winter hasnt eaten you alive. Glad to see you back alive on the forums my friend.

post #745 of 1361 Old 01-27-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Well I am certainly happy to see that there is atleast three poor/bored souls that still have an eye on my thread and are here to help keep it somewhat clinging to life only to avoid the depths of no return. Seriously I just assumed there was noone left to witness what I call progress!!

Can I get you some cheese to go with that whine, Steve?

Some of us have been busy, deep undercover.

If I told you more, I'd have to kill you.

P.S. Jealous about your progress. When I turn on the lights between movies I'm still looking at unframed walls here. I gotta make a note to myself to do something about that ... someday.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #746 of 1361 Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My good buddy hanes that in no way was whining and I apologize if it was interpreted as such. I was merely assuming that most if not all of the people that used to chime in here had vanished as with time all things (in this case people) tend to change/vanish. But if your buying cheese then a good aged swiss will surely do.......

post #747 of 1361 Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

My good buddy hanes that in no way was whining and I apologize if it was interpreted as such. I was merely assuming that most if not all of the people that used to chime in here had vanished as with time all things (in this case people) tend to change/vanish. But if your buying cheese then a good aged swiss will surely do.......

I know you weren't whining. Just giving you some playful grief, my friend.

I have to resort to such tactics to distract folks from noticing my total lack of progress lately. Well, that and to forget that you still have a team in the Super Bowl, while Brett & the boys in purple fumbled away another opportunity and have already started hunting season.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #748 of 1361 Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve, I am still here...but undercover as well...

post #749 of 1361 Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Doug thats an AWESOME disguise, it is much better than your previous one.

post #750 of 1361 Old 01-28-2010, 05:43 AM
HT1

Liked: 10

Now wait just a, I say wait just a cotton pickin minute there boy!!! Sometimes we just like to set back and quietly watch someone else do all the work. Are ya comprehend'n what I'm saying?

I like this place!!!
HT1
Check Out Bar / Theater 1.0
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page