Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater--An extremely modest build!! - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #901 of 1362 Old 04-24-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I need/want a soffit. I want it for visual effects but I also need something along the back of the room to hide one stinkin pipe that comes down from the bathroom above. I am going to add some crown and rope lighting to it more for effect than anything but I dont know if I want to drop the screen down in front to accomodate.

Doug what is your ceiling height both to the bottom of the soffit and to the ceiling? And what height is your screen at the top? And screen size?? Maybe if I find others with similar measurements and see their pics I can decide. I am just unsure of how a soffit would look only on 3 sides??

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1362 Old 04-24-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I think that a soffit on three sides would look ok. I think it would not look as good to have a soffit on one side or the back and a side but to have it look uniform all the way around except the front you should be alright.

Of course if you HAVE to have it all look the same then that's ok too. If you only need the soffit in the back then you could just put it there do your crown around and then you would not have the soffit to "deal with" at the front interfering with the screen.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #903 of 1362 Old 04-24-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The only place that I HAVE to have some sort of soffit is the back to hide the plumbing I just like the look of the builds with soffits. Now I know there is more work in building them and more intensive drywall labor. Now I am not sure if I should do them or not....lol

post #904 of 1362 Old 04-24-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Steve, when I am ready to upgrade from my PT-AX200U, I most likely will got the route of 2.33:1 ratio (or whatever scope ratio is) and either mask the sides or just deal with black "bars" on the sides(when watching 16:9 content), just as I now deal with black "bars" on the top/bottom (when watching anything higher than 16:9 content-like 2.33:1). I may not have the exact ratio's posted here, but I think you get my concept.

So far, I am loving my setup and only very few times do I wish I had gone wider....but I am plenty big for 16:9!

Hope these measurements help.

post #905 of 1362 Old 04-24-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Doug, thanks alot for those measurements that helps alot. How wide is your screen wall??

Edit: I think its 152" (12'8") I just saw that...lol

post #906 of 1362 Old 04-24-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Doug, thanks alot for those measurements that helps alot. How wide is your screen wall??

Edit: I think its 152" (12'8") I just saw that...lol

Hahaha! Steve, I KNEW you would ask something like that...I swear, I almost measured my coffee table just to be safe... LOL!

Hoosiers Rule!
post #907 of 1362 Old 04-24-2010, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Hahaha! Steve, I KNEW you would ask something like that...I swear, I almost measured my coffee table just to be safe... LOL!

Hoosiers Rule!

And what size is that coffee table anyway??

post #908 of 1362 Old 04-25-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Doug what did you frame your soffit out of ? 2x4? 1x2? 1x1?

post #909 of 1362 Old 04-25-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doug what did you frame your soffit out of ? 2x4? 1x2? 1x1?

Steve, I could not find any straight 2x2's, So I just ripped 2x4's in half and frame that...its solid! 2x4's would be too much lumber for such a small structure.
post #910 of 1362 Old 04-25-2010, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve, I could not find any straight 2x2's, So I just ripped 2x4's in half and frame that...its solid! 2x4's would be too much lumber for such a small structure.

You ripped 2x4's (I assume on a table saw)? That seems like ALOT of ripping. So the short answer is find straight 2x2's?

post #911 of 1362 Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You ripped 2x4's (I assume on a table saw)? That seems like ALOT of ripping. So the short answer is find straight 2x2's?

Yes!
post #912 of 1362 Old 04-26-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes!

Ok well a trip to Menards AND Lowes helped me draw this conclusion.....All store stocked 2x2's and 2x3's are crooooooked!!! I do not want to rip down all the boards for the soffits oh what to do.

Does anyone think that 6"-8" is too small a height for a soffit? All I want is a soffit with enough room to mount some crown at the bottom of, then place some rope light in and project upward. The reason I want to keep it smaller is to save as much ceiling height as possible.

post #913 of 1362 Old 04-26-2010, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I dropping this info here so that you can find it. Use this calculator to figure out your screen ratios using the Panny AE4000. Might not be your final projector, but since it does the zoom CIH thing, it sets you on the right path.

Projector Central

post #914 of 1362 Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok well a trip to Menards AND Lowes helped me draw this conclusion.....All store stocked 2x2's and 2x3's are crooooooked!!! I do not want to rip down all the boards for the soffits oh what to do.

Does anyone think that 6"-8" is too small a height for a soffit? All I want is a soffit with enough room to mount some crown at the bottom of, then place some rope light in and project upward. The reason I want to keep it smaller is to save as much ceiling height as possible.

The only thing I can say is to create a mock up some how. Even if its a drawing (to scale) on a large sheet of paper. I think it will be small, especially if you add the upper crown for the rope lighting.

But again, it might all work out...so try to create a mock up, drawing or even with card board cut out...hold it up and take a look see. I might all work out.
post #915 of 1362 Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What do you mean when you say "upper crown"? I was planning on doing crown at the bottom outside 90 degree just like yours and nothing at the inside 90 at the top where it meets the ceiling.

post #916 of 1362 Old 04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Crown looks great but IMO a pain to work with. Steve, I have the same mental block with crown as you do CIH.......I have successfully installed crown, however I really hate doing it and usually cut several pieces wrong thought the project.

I definitely do some mock up or trial runs to see what works. Are you planning on leaving a space at the top so you can do rope lighting?

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #917 of 1362 Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Crown looks great but IMO a pain to work with. Steve, I have the same mental block with crown as you do CIH.......I have successfully installed crown, however I really hate doing it and usually cut several pieces wrong thought the project.

I definitely do some mock up or trial runs to see what works. Are you planning on leaving a space at the top so you can do rope lighting?

Regards,

RTROSE

Crown is relatively simple as long as you take your time and measure 3x before cutting. To me its much easier than doing cope cuts on baseboard trim. I am planning on a similar soffit as Doug's but need to keep the it as small as possible and yes I plan on placing crown at the bottom of the soffit with rope light.

post #918 of 1362 Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you mean when you say "upper crown"? I was planning on doing crown at the bottom outside 90 degree just like yours and nothing at the inside 90 at the top where it meets the ceiling.

Ahhh, I see what you are doing now. For some reason I thought you were doing 2 crowns like I did.

Keep in mind they do make different sizes for crowns as this would help in your situation with a shorter soffit.
post #919 of 1362 Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I've got the baseboard and coping miter cuts nailed, you've got the crown mastered so together we might make somewhat dangerous partners.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #920 of 1362 Old 04-27-2010, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Well I've got the baseboard and coping miter cuts nailed, you've got the crown mastered so together we might make somewhat dangerous partners.

Regards,

RTROSE

We should go on tour! A couple of traveling, trim crazy Hoosiers on the loose.

post #921 of 1362 Old 04-27-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
IF you are doing crown, it helps me to do a few sample cuts on scraps or just cut some 6 inch pieces off. DO a couple fo an outside miter if you need one, and at least a coped inside and one square end that the cope dies into. Carry those around and use them to test fit (this will help if your walls are not quite perfectly square also) and give you a mental idea of what you will end up with at each end before you cut.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #922 of 1362 Old 04-27-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

IF you are doing crown, it helps me to do a few sample cuts on scraps or just cut some 6 inch pieces off. DO a couple fo an outside miter if you need one, and at least a coped inside and one square end that the cope dies into. Carry those around and use them to test fit (this will help if your walls are not quite perfectly square also) and give you a mental idea of what you will end up with at each end before you cut.

Thanks for the tips but in a conversation above I states that crown was no problem for me but doing coped cuts for baseboards was a pain in the butt (for me anyway) but I am actually not doing either right now Thanks anyway I am sure someone can use the help.....the help I need is in other areas.....namely soffit design right now.

On a side note I took a peek in a speaker forum (for the brand I own) and asked a few questions regarding using my current surrounds and rears and placing them in a column to conceal them a bit and I left there wondering if I should upgrade to true in walls or if I can make mine work??? I JUST bought mine when doing V1.0 and dont really want to upgrade already. Anyone do this or know of anyone that used their surrounds and placed them in columns for aestetics?

post #923 of 1362 Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We should go on tour! A couple of traveling, trim crazy Hoosiers on the loose.

This has the makings of a DIY network show for sure!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #924 of 1362 Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

On a side note I took a peek in a speaker forum (for the brand I own) and asked a few questions regarding using my current surrounds and rears and placing them in a column to conceal them a bit and I left there wondering if I should upgrade to true in walls or if I can make mine work??? I JUST bought mine when doing V1.0 and dont really want to upgrade already. Anyone do this or know of anyone that used their surrounds and placed them in columns for aestetics?

Are your surround and rear speakers designed for on-wall placement? If they are, then putting them in columns is the way to go. There are several theaters I have followed that did this.

If you want some ideas, there is a 'show me' thread for columns, and some of them show pictures of installing their speakers in the columns.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #925 of 1362 Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Are your surround and rear speakers designed for on-wall placement? If they are, then putting them in columns is the way to go. There are several theaters I have followed that did this.

If you want some ideas, there is a 'show me' thread for columns, and some of them show pictures of installing their speakers in the columns.

They are Energy C-100s and they say stand, bookshelf or on wall mounted. I posted this question/concern in the dedicated Energy thread with mixed results. Most people said it would affect the sound quality and since I have no clue I am asking for any help/input that I can find. I would love to have them hidden so that they dont get knocked over but if it will mess up the sound then I will skip it. The problem is that I need to build a column and place the speakers inside to honestly know and that is alot of wasted work if they dont....

post #926 of 1362 Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Liked: 10
Hey Steve, not to knock you off track, do you have any current pictures of your bar? I skimmed back over the thread and never really saw what happened with it. Man the bar rail looks great though!

I am starting on mine now. Hopefully mine turns out close to that!
I am very nervous about it though.

I had a thought once... but it got lonely and went away.

The Beach House Bar Build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1240927
post #927 of 1362 Old 04-28-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach31684 View Post

Hey Steve, not to knock you off track, do you have any current pictures of your bar? I skimmed back over the thread and never really saw what happened with it. Man the bar rail looks great though!

I am starting on mine now. Hopefully mine turns out close to that!
I am very nervous about it though.

No worries its nice to have someone finally have some rooting interest for any progress that I may or may not have

Specify what you want to see and I will post and or take for you. I did tile the back bar counter area and took a ton of pics while doing so and (just the other day) turned on my camera for the first time in a while and "assumed" I already had downloaded them so I deleted them......OOPS Needless to say I had not downloaded them yet so they are gone.

post #928 of 1362 Old 04-29-2010, 05:54 AM

Liked: 10
WOW, that sucks dude. I was just curious as to how it was coming along. You posted great picks when you were doing it. I just wanted to see what the whole thing was looking like now.

I am not really an HT guy, however, since I found this site, I am becoming a fan more and more each day(its all still very confusing to me). But I am still learning on both ends (bar and ht).

Since I cant afford to play with HT stuff and I dont really have the space, I just work on my bar.

I would like to see the tile though!

I had a thought once... but it got lonely and went away.

The Beach House Bar Build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1240927
post #929 of 1362 Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach31684 View Post

WOW, that sucks dude. I was just curious as to how it was coming along. You posted great picks when you were doing it. I just wanted to see what the whole thing was looking like now.

I am not really an HT guy, however, since I found this site, I am becoming a fan more and more each day(its all still very confusing to me). But I am still learning on both ends (bar and ht).

Since I cant afford to play with HT stuff and I dont really have the space, I just work on my bar.

I would like to see the tile though!

I understand totally. When I started my research it was JUST for bar build ideas and here I am with a bar/HT and in the design stages of version 2 of the ht (this time dedicated) on the other side of the basement. It really is addicting and super fun. As for my bar it is covered in tools and materials but I will get some pictures of it for you asap. It is still a work in progress as I still need to repaint the wall where it meets the tile as well as fill in with some caulk here and there. I also am planning some sort of trim and such to the bar front as it is too bare for me. Stay tuned for pics

post #930 of 1362 Old 05-02-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Electrical Tips Needed!!

Ok so I have an issue I need help with. On the finished side of my basement across the wall at the base of the stairs I have 4 standard outlets that are all piggy backed (in series not sure the technical name) off one another that end at the base of the stairs. On the other side of the stairs it is open and thats where I want to mount my av rack. The issue on the finished side of the basement I want to knock a hole in the wall and put a door there to access under the stairs to get to the back of the rack as well as some storage. I dont know what to do with the 4 outlets since the wiring for them runs across the base of the framed/finished wall and will run in the middle of the new door way.....any help??? I wont need to move outlets since the door plans wont affect the placement of the door only the wiring for the outlets that I would prefer to keep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page