Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater--An extremely modest build!! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1361 Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I used something similar to this....
http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID...paign=DATAFEED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1361 Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For the edge I usually cut in (rather my wife does, as this is one of my most hated things in the world) with a good brush. Once she finishes about 6' of edge I start to roll, I roll as Rtrose said as close close as possible to the edge horozontally to help blend everything in, but with a good brush you should't see many brush marks especially after the first coat. I know they're expensive but Purdy makes a good brush and so long as you clean right when done and stored properly they will last you a long time.

After going horizontal to blend in the edge then I start going vertical with the roller. Make sure the roller is nice and wet and keep refreshing the roller often. So long as you don't have any raised paint lines you don't want to keep going over freshly painted areas as this will start to pull off the paint and is probably the reason why your seeing lighter and darker areas. Good luck hope it worked out with the final coat.

post #183 of 1361 Old 02-25-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

For the edge I usually cut in (rather my wife does, as this is one of my most hated things in the world) with a good brush. Once she finishes about 6' of edge I start to roll, I roll as Rtrose said as close close as possible to the edge horozontally to help blend everything in, but with a good brush you should't see many brush marks especially after the first coat. I know they're expensive but Purdy makes a good brush and so long as you clean right when done and stored properly they will last you a long time.

After going horizontal to blend in the edge then I start going vertical with the roller. Make sure the roller is nice and wet and keep refreshing the roller often. So long as you don't have any raised paint lines you don't want to keep going over freshly painted areas as this will start to pull off the paint and is probably the reason why your seeing lighter and darker areas. Good luck hope it worked out with the final coat.

Great tips.....where were you yesterday and the day before?? I too hate painting, it is my least favorite thing in home improvement to do. Well once we used the mini (2") foam roller for the trim it worked real well and I am happy to report that the final coat looks real good......now on to the next issue. She used painters tape along the drop ceiling grid and when I started to pull it off this a.m. it tore into peices everywhere leaving thin slices of tape against the grid and is causing us great grief currently, any ideas??

As for the brush we used for trim, I think she used an older brush that had been used 20x and the bristles werent in the best shape but the foam roller really helped.

post #184 of 1361 Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Glad to hear the 3rd coat worked out and that the trim is good also.

Unfortunately not around on the forum too often in the evenings, just occassionally.

post #185 of 1361 Old 02-26-2009, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Great tips.....where were you yesterday and the day before?? I too hate painting, it is my least favorite thing in home improvement to do......

Well you know always a day late and a dollar short!

I hate cutting in and my wife hates rolling walls. This is a perfect match for painter bliss! She cuts in (does a great job too BTW) and then I follow behind with the big roller and do the main area of the wall. We have tried just about every edger gizmo and have have varying levels of success. The drywall knife trick gives us just about the best result. I hate that painters tape too. It is either too sticky or not sticky enough and it seems no matter how good of a job we do taping the trim off paint always seeps under onto the trim......very frustrating.

Glad the third coat work for you, I know the more coats I have to put on the less I get about the transformation and the more like work it becomes.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #186 of 1361 Old 02-26-2009, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So after the copper was glued in place it was time to give it the detail it needed to hide the bumps.......I did this by using a 2" and a 3" wire brush attatchment for my cordless drill (Compliments of Dennis and his great ideas,completely stolen) and just made a circular pattern all the way across the top, overlapping kind of like mowing the lawn....I apologize as I took alot of pictures of this and figured I would share them

post #187 of 1361 Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And here are a few more

post #188 of 1361 Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 PM

Liked: 10
A 3M metal finishing pad, and a palm sander will give the desired look as well.

It will give complete coverage of the "brushed/buffed" appearance, with minimal scratches or voids.

Plus it works very quickly with little effort.
post #189 of 1361 Old 02-26-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post

It will give complete coverage of the "brushed/buffed" appearance, with minimal scratches or voids.

I agree that probably would work as well. However I acheived the desired look with the good old wire brush attatchment and my handy dandy cordless drill.....though much more effort I am sure

post #190 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:

I did try this method except with a DA sander but it didn't give me the depth or 3D look I was looking for. And since I an covering mine with envirotex the look was more important to me than the scatches. I however do think yours looks a little more professional looking (if that is what you did to yours)

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #191 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO View Post

I did try this method except with a DA sander but it didn't give me the depth or 3D look I was looking for. And since I an covering mine with envirotex the look was more important to me than the scatches. I however do think yours looks a little more professional looking (if that is what you did to yours)

Agree with Dennis here the scratches arent important as they will be covered/filled with the epoxy

post #192 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Completely understood. The desired effect that you are personally looking for is most important.

I tried the brush with my drill, five different pads with my sander, and several techniques with good old fashioned elbow grease.

Plus I experimented with five different alloys (c110, c220, c230, c260, c510) with all the different textures to determine which combination achieved my "vision".

The lighting was a crucial aspect as well. My garage, workshop and final resting place all exhibited different shades of the same material. In the picturs I posted earlier, the final material looks much more light and yellowish than it really is. Even the difference between holding it horizontal and vertical (on the panels) changed the color. Here is a basic color chart for the various alloys.
http://www.metalreference.com/CU_220.html

Point being, you never know what you really want until you experiment. I had settled on several techniques/combos, only to try one more and changing my mind!

I think your project turned out fabulous. I like the idea of the copper footrail as well. Because I have never seen it done before. I love new and unique looks.

Another poster here might not some aspects of yours, or mine. In fact they might hate mine completely. But what we have done is shared our projects for others to critique and change to complete their "vision". The exchange of ideas is one of the best things about this forum!

One definite plus in all this is the use of nonferrous material in different ways. The more copper and copper alloys used, the better for the industry I call home!
post #193 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Completely understood. The desired effect that you are personally looking for is most important.

I tried the brush with my drill, five different pads with my sander, and several techniques with good old fashioned elbow grease.

Plus I experimented with five different alloys (c110, c220, c230, c260, c510) with all the different textures to determine which combination achieved my "vision".

The lighting was a crucial aspect as well. My garage, workshop and final resting place all exhibited different shades of the same material. In the picturs I posted earlier, the final material looks much more light and yellowish than it really is. Even the difference between holding it horizontal and vertical (on the panels) changed the color. Here is a basic color chart for the various alloys.

Point being, you never know what you really want until you experiment. I had settled on several techniques/combos, only to try one more and changing my mind!

I think your project turned out fabulous. I like the idea of the copper footrail as well. Because I have never seen it done before. I love new and unique looks.

Another poster here might not some aspects of yours, or mine. In fact they might hate mine completely. But what we have done is shared our projects for others to critique and change to complete their "vision". The exchange of ideas is one of the best things about this forum!

One definite plus in all this is the use of nonferrous material in different ways. The more copper and copper alloys used, the better for the industry I call home!

dannynoonan - Thanks for the kind words, your bar is really nice also, very professional looking. Any links you can share on where you got your sheets from. Also at the thickness you used, how did you have to cut it? I'm always looking for new ideas and resources...especially in copper.
Thanks,
Dennis

post #194 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I am happy to help keep you in business Atleast one of us is.

post #195 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Well I am happy to help keep you in business Atleast one of us is.

You can make that 2 of us.

post #196 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can make that 2 of us.

Lol I meant atleast one of us is in business Dennis. I know your happy. I mean who wouldnt be with all that copper?

post #197 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Lol I meant atleast one of us is in business Dennis. I know your happy. I mean who wouldnt be with all that copper?

I know what you meant but responded to what you typed

post #198 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
dannynoonan - Thanks for the kind words, your bar is really nice also, very professional looking. Any links you can share on where you got your sheets from. Also at the thickness you used, how did you have to cut it? I'm always looking for new ideas and resources...especially in copper.
Thanks,
Dennis

Thank you!

I used .050" x 36" x 120" half hard alloy 220 sheets. I cut the panels for the bar and storage benches on a shear. For the top, a jigsaw with a metal blade worked fine. Wood was clamped on both sides of the cut for stability. the rail was also cut from the same sheet. So they are both continuous pieces, no seams. I gently filed all the edges by hand. It didn't take much. The edges aren't seen anyway, but I wanted to ensure it would lay perfectly flat.

I cleaned all pieces in the garage and used the sander to make the texture. Then I stretched some black/white vinyl on all the pieces to protect the finish. They were then brought downstairs and installed. Once in, the protective covering was peeled off, then sealed.

Here is a poor quality pic of the benches:

Here are a few sites that may be of interest:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#metals/=seu7l
Good selection, pretty good pricing on small quantities.

http://www.reverecopper.com
90% sure Storm gets their metal from them.

http://www.lewisbrass.com
Good place for brass tubing, especially ornamental.

http://www.metalartistforum.com/forum/index.php
Cool forum by artists who use metal.

http://www.themetalpeddler.com/produ...switch-plates/
Cool aftermarket products here.
post #199 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok now that we got that out of the way lets move in the direction of progress. I have also at this point installed the copper on the half wall bar as well. These pics are bad I admit but they are what I have and should give a decent idea of what I am going for here.

post #200 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I swirled the top of this one as well and will envirotex it as well. I have one picture of the top of it swirled and not sure why I didnt take anymore. I will do so when I get a chance.

When I am in the middle of projects I tend to jump around with my to do list hence the reason the pics are all over the room. SO here I have trimmed out the half wall bar front with oak and also you can see the swirl in the copper here.

post #201 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Looking good steve, Did you think about routering the top outside edge of the oak ? a 1/4 round might do the trick. I wish I would have on mine and will be going back and re-doing it. It catches clothes and splinters easily. I thought the envirorex would cover it but I am only using poly since what I went thru on the bar rail. Even with the poly on it still splinters, that 90 degree angle just gets beat up. Just a thought....and sorry I should have mentioned it before now.

post #202 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking good steve, Did you think about routering the edge of the lip of oak ? a 1/4 round might do the trick. I wish I would have on mine and will be going back and re-doing it. It catches clothes and splinters easily. I thought the envirorex would cover it but I am only using poly since what I went thru on the bar rail. Even with the poly on it still splinters, that 90 degree angle just gets beat up. Just a thought....and sorry I should have mentioned it before now.

Oh I just saw your pic.....actually no and the reason is that I used a 1" x 6" peice of oak and then a peice of trim that is rounded on 2 edges on top so there is not a true 45. I nailed the 1"x6" and then the trim is on top in the opposite direction to form an "L" if that makes sense. I have then sanded them down alot and they are very smooth and rounded its just hard to capture in a pic. If it poses to be a problem then I will have to redo it but for now I am going to let it go.

post #203 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Where exactly are you referring to this? More info

Ummm The edge with the blig blue arrow pointing to it LOL .... you were too fast I was uploading the pic and you already responded...

post #204 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ummm The edge with the blig blue arrow pointing to it LOL .... you were too fast I was uploading the pic and you already responded...

Yea I happened to look when your message was there but no picture yet. I since changed my reply....lol

post #205 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Yea I happened to look when your message was there but no picture yet. I since changed my reply....lol

Oh okay...just looking out for you is all.

post #206 of 1361 Old 02-27-2009, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh okay...just looking out for you is all.

You know I appreciate that But I am hoping that the rounded trim peice that I used gives enough of a curve to it that there wont be a problem. I plan on poly not etex due to the problems that you had and we will have to see what happens. Worst case scenario is I will have to redo that peice but I dont have a router and my wife may kill me if I tell her I need another new tool as I have already bought a new table saw,jigsaw, air compressor, reciprocating saw, 2 nails guns and I am sure a few others that I cant recall at the moment for this project...

post #207 of 1361 Old 02-28-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:

You know I appreciate that But I am hoping that the rounded trim peice that I used gives enough of a curve to it that there wont be a problem. I plan on poly not etex due to the problems that you had and we will have to see what happens. Worst case scenario is I will have to redo that peice but I dont have a router and my wife may kill me if I tell her I need another new tool as I have already bought a new table saw,jigsaw, air compressor, reciprocating saw, 2 nails guns and I am sure a few others that I cant recall at the moment for this project...

LOl been there done that with the wife and tools. I just brought home an orbital sander and she looked at me and just shook her head. It was only 20 bucks at HD with no box, no manual, sold as is and is in perfect condition. It normally runs for 80 bucks so I paid the $4.99 for a 1 year warranty, made them plug it in and show me it worked and still think I got a hell of a deal for $25 bucks...one of those I can't pass this up men moments...tools arr arr arr
The trim should work fine if it does not have the 90 degree edge, mine will have to be redone. Do you have a scap piece you could photo so I can see it in detail, maybe that will be an option for mine.

post #208 of 1361 Old 02-28-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOl been there done that with the wife and tools. I just brought home an orbital sander and she looked at me and just shook her head. It was only 20 bucks at HD with no box, no manual, sold as is and is in perfect condition. It normally runs for 80 bucks so I paid the $4.99 for a 1 year warranty, made them plug it in and show me it worked and still think I got a hell of a deal for $25 bucks...one of those I can't pass this up men moments...tools arr arr arr
The trim should work fine if it does not have the 90 degree edge, mine will have to be redone. Do you have a scap piece you could photo so I can see it in detail, maybe that will be an option for mine.

Give me a few minutes and I will run down and snap a shot of scrap....the best i can with my camera. It basically is a square oak trim peice that is rounded on the top two edges slightly. As for the tools I do that all the time. I told her I needed the table saw for this bar project and have only used it once.....lol. But hey atleast I have it for the future right?! I basically use my mitre saw for everything....hell I built a monster of a deck with just it and a circular saw for a few cutoffs this summer.

post #209 of 1361 Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I had a hard time capturing the picture of the curved detail but heres 3 shots of it. The first is of the installed peice....

The second two are scrap peices...

Hope this helps. I got it from Menards it is just "stop" trim
3/8" x 1 1/4" SKU: 417-1812

post #210 of 1361 Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Well I had a hard time capturing the picture of the curved detail but heres 3 shots of it. The first is of the installed peice....

Hope this helps. I got it from Menards it is just "stop" trim
3/8" x 1 1/4" SKU: 417-1812

Okay gotcha now, thanks. it looks like that will work, I'll have to run up and get one to see.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page