Buzzing from surrounds -- amp problem? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-17-2000, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This is a copy from a message I posted at the Home Theater Forum. If you read it or replied to it there please ignore.

I have a buzzing in my surround speakers that I have not been able to eliminate. Let me give you some background to clarify the problem.

First, the amp for the surrounds is a Parasound HCA-1000A 2 channel amp, rated at 125 wpc. I've had it since the fall of 1998 and the buzzing has been a problem since then. HOWEVER (before everyone jumps down my throat for just reporting this now)I thought the problem was due to my surround speakers at the time, which were a very small pair of Mega brand speakers that were my wife's before we were married. (The mains are Vandersteen 2CEs and the center the Vandersteen VCC center). The Parasound amp is THX certified and has THX levels on the back for each channel. When I increased the THX level to maximum (which Parasound recommends) the buzzing became very loud. I thought this was a case of the speakers not being able to handle the power from the amp and so set the levels back and forgot about it for a while.

We were planning on finishing off our basement with a dedicated home theater room, at which time I was going to buy the Vandersteen surround speakers. Well, the room is finished, the Vandersteen surrounds have been bought and hung, and I'm STILL getting a buzz in them if I turn the THX level to maximum. This is not in any of the other channels or the subwoofer. Speaker cable is heavy-gauge Monster and the interconnects are Monster 550 series cables. As soon as I turn the amp on the buzzing starts.

Now, this is NOT a ground loop hum. I did have a problem with hum when I moved everything downstairs, which I've eliminated with a Monster powerstrip and cable/sat ground (for DSS) and a Mondial MAGIC ground for cable. This is not a hum, it's a BUZZ that increases in volume with THX level. I'm pretty certain it's the amp, but before I unhook the damn thing and haul it off to HiFi House (thankfully Parasound has a 10 year warranty on their amps) I was wondering if any of you had suggestions about another possible cause or something in the amp itself I might be able to check.

Sorry the post is so long, but I wanted to give you as much detail as possible. Thanks!

Dave

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page