Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 100 Old 03-06-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
HT1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,
Since I just finished Bar/Theater 1.0, I thought I would start my build thread after the fact. We started this project 3 years ago only working on it in the winter months when it's to cold to do anything else. I want say first off a big THANKS to this website for answering some questions and helping to figure some things out along the way. I am in no way a professional in the field of building or remodeling or theater for that matter.
The main goal of this was to finish our basement with a multipurpose entertainment room. I originally wanted to do a dedicated theater with sound proofing and theater seating but after many discussions with the smarter person of the house hold (my wife) we figured the multipurpose room was the better way for us to go.
Here's the room:
Size is 46 feet long by 19.5 feet wide with most of the ceiling at 9ft.
This is looking from the bar end of the room towards the screen wall. The ceiling height at the bulkhead is 7' 6.

The finished look

This is looking back from the screen wall towards the bar.

The finished look

Although I say it's finished, I still have a few things that need completed. I will post more pictures of the build process later.
If anyone has questions or comments, fire away.
Scott

I like this place!!!
HT1
Check Out Bar / Theater 1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 03-06-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Very nice...

I love how you tied the fireplace into the soffit. What are you doing for a countertop on the bar?

Looks like you could go scope in the future too if you wanted (when upgraditis sets in)...
post #3 of 100 Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
HT1

Thanks, the bartop is one of the items that is on the list to be completed. It is actually being made from a tree that fell on my parents house about a year ago. I have pics to post as soon as i get them on photobucket.

I like this place!!!
HT1

post #4 of 100 Old 03-06-2009, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Nice what speakers are you using??? What Projector?

Joe V
Time > Money

V-T Theater 2.0
V-T Theater 1.0
post #5 of 100 Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
HT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyv View Post

Nice what speakers are you using??? What Projector?

I'm using Klipsch RF62 fronts, RC62 center, RS52 surrounds and an RT10D sub. At the moment these are driven by a Denon 2805 but that is the first thing that is getting upgraded. I hope to end up with an NAD. The Projector is a Mitzubishi HC3000.

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #6 of 100 Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
HT1

I wired all speaker connections with CL2 rated wire to wall plates like this

For the sub I wanted to be able to move it around and or add more so I went with 3 different locations. To show what a rookie I am I didn't know exactly what wire to use after reading that RG6 coax could be used so I ran both to each sub location. I ended up going with the RG6 cable since my sub only has an RCA connector.

I cannot say enough about how important it is to run PVC from your equipment closet to your projector. I originally ran a composite video cable only until I learned the cable company had a hi-def box that would allow me to use HDMI to the projector. The PVC makes it so much easier to run new cable.

Can you say cable management? Unfortunately it still looks this messy. Once winter comes around again I will clean it up.

I just love to go shopping. I auditioned the Klipsch reference line of speakers several times in different theater settings before making the purchase. Now that I have them and have listened to them installed I can say for movies they are the best but I still like my old 2 channel NAD with Infinity speakers for music.

After reading a little about sound proofing I new I wouldn't be able to spend the money to isolate all the sound. That and the layout being wide open didn't help either. What I did do is hang some fiber board over the insulation to try and muffle some of the sound before it made it upstairs. Believe it or not it works really well. I can turn the volume up much higher than I thought I would be able to without disturbing anyone upstairs. I've actually turned up some music and walked around upstairs just to see how loud I could get it. The low end is what makes it thru the most. Again, it's not sound proof but it does allow for a higher volume without the cost of RSIC, DD and green glue.

Next up, drywall and paint.

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #7 of 100 Old 03-10-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Looks good,

From one Hoosier to another welcome! I'm always happy to see a fellow Hoosier here at AVS.

I have a question for you. Could you describe exactly what you used for the extra sound insulation? A link, description, or something closeup photo perhaps. I'm in the same boat as you were. I am concerned about the sound, but have a limited budget to just put into sound insulation/isolation. Your application just might be right up my alley.

Thanks and keep the construction pics coming!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #8 of 100 Old 03-10-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you have a pic of how you framed out that firebox? Looks great
post #9 of 100 Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

I second this question as well. I pulled a similar unit out of the wall in my theater room and want to possibly put it somewhere else. Also from another fellow hoosier things are looking great and you are making us corn field folk look good.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #10 of 100 Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

.......Also from another fellow hoosier things are looking great and you are making us corn field folk look good.

As a Hoosier I find this statement about cornfields condescending and perpetuating a stereotype that has persisted far too long. Remember we have soybeans too!!!! Not to mention the fact as I look out my back sliding door not 50 feet away is a farmers field that will soon be beans or corn! Awe shucks! Couldn't resist!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #11 of 100 Old 03-11-2009, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
HT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Looks good,

From one Hoosier to another welcome! I'm always happy to see a fellow Hoosier here at AVS.

I have a question for you. Could you describe exactly what you used for the extra sound insulation? A link, description, or something closeup photo perhaps. I'm in the same boat as you were. I am concerned about the sound, but have a limited budget to just put into sound insulation/isolation. Your application just might be right up my alley.

Thanks and keep the construction pics coming!

Regards,

RTROSE

Here's a link to their website http://www.templeinland.com/Building.../scinstall.asp I don't remember the exact cost but I think it was around 400 bucks to do a 46 x 19.5 x 9 room. As I said earlier it is not sound proofing but it does knock down enough of the sound to let you turn the volume up higher without disturbing everyone in the entire house. Where you located? I'm in good 'ol Terrible Haute. Nice Looking build, I completely understand the slow part. I worked on this for 3 years, mostly in the winter time only but after 3 years i was glad to see the carpet go in. Keep at it before you know it your "to do" list will be down to nothing.

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #12 of 100 Old 03-11-2009, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
HT1

Quote:

As a Hoosier I find this statement about cornfields condescending and perpetuating a stereotype that has persisted far too long. Remember we have soybeans too!!!! Not to mention the fact as I look out my back sliding door not 50 feet away is a farmers field that will soon be beans or corn! Awe shucks! Couldn't resist!

Regards,

RTROSE

Oh and I got to mention, I'm about 40 feet from winter wheat.
The nice thing about that is it really is green this time of year.

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #13 of 100 Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
HT1

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

I second this question as well. I pulled a similar unit out of the wall in my theater room and want to possibly put it somewhere else. Also from another fellow hoosier things are looking great and you are making us corn field folk look good.

Thanks for checking out my build. For the fireplace framing I new what model of "Heat N Glo" (nice plug) i was installing so the paperwork gave the exact framing dimensions. I built the 2 x 12 platform then the angle wall that would be at the face of the fireplace. In that angle wall I had to leave a rough opening for the heighth and width of the fireplace. Then when I installed the angle wall on the platform I had to bring it out far enough to allow for the depth. I didn't install the actual unit but I did the framing. Here's the only photo's I have of the install, I do have a few of the stone going on the front and I'll post those when I get home from work:

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #14 of 100 Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
HT1 very nice build out of the space, you should be proud.
post #15 of 100 Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am interested in the top of the firebox. I see you have cement board on the top 4 inches?
post #16 of 100 Old 03-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Congrats on the nice job HT1. We also like the functionality of an open multipurpose HT room. Your bar pendant lights look great too.
post #17 of 100 Old 03-12-2009, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
HT1

Quote:

I am interested in the top of the firebox. I see you have cement board on the top 4 inches?

That's correct, it's like a 1 x 4. When the unit was delivered that peice was in place. I have no idea why it's there or what it does. I can look in the book that came with it to see what its purpose is. I asked the installers about insulating behind the fireplace and they said as long as you stay at least 1" away from the box and the pipe it would be fine. Are you thinking of installing one?

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #18 of 100 Old 03-12-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have installed one already, now I have to box around it. The cement board is for applying your marble/granite/tile I would imagine. Thank you very much for the pics and information.
post #19 of 100 Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT1 View Post

Here's a link to their website I'm in good 'ol Terrible Haute. Nice Looking build, I completely understand the slow part. I worked on this for 3 years, mostly in the winter time only but after 3 years i was glad to see the carpet go in. Keep at it before you know it your "to do" list will be down to nothing.

Thanks for the link and the compliment. I spent four years in good ole Terre Haute. ISU alum and have very fond memories of my time there.

I too like the fireplace and like the way you worked it into your build. very classy working and takes care of the chill in the basement during those cold Indiana winters.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #20 of 100 Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

. very classy working and takes care of the chill in the basement during those cold Indiana winters.

Regards,

RTROSE

Cold winters? In Terre Haute?? Come on man thats the south to me up here 2 miles from the Michigan line.......let me tell you about cold Rose......

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #21 of 100 Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 PM

post #22 of 100 Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
HT1

Quote:

Thanks for the link and the compliment. I spent four years in good ole Terre Haute. ISU alum and have very fond memories of my time there.

So you would be a tree!!! I must admit Terre Haute has a bad reputation but it really is a good place to live. The cost of living is nothing compared to other places this size.

IUSteve, Can you say "Lake Effect Snow"? You can keep that stuff up north. I'm guessing with the IU in your user name that might be Indiana University? I'm actually from Lafayette so I bleed the black and gold.

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #23 of 100 Old 03-14-2009, 06:48 AM

I must be crazy because I love the snow! Skiing and snowmobiling help us enjoy it though. We don't get enough in Dayton.....

The main reason for my posting is to congratulate you on finishing! Great minds must think alike - We came to the same conclusion on the seating for our theater/game room/bar. My room dimensions are no the best but we enjoy it and so do the kids and their friends. I am also jealous of your speakers - the Klipsch Reference line were my first choice. I settled for the Klipsch Quintet SL with the 600 watt, 12"? sub. Still love em.

I think we did our AV racks the same way - I have to credit Larry Fine for my design. I tried your link to the source thread in the Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater thread to see where you found your idea but the link did not work...

I first started lurking here about 6 years ago and just started my theater last winter, only working on it in the cold months (sound familiar?). The majority of my theater is complete, still need trim etc - but now the Bar is my focus - yours looks nice in the picture. What kind of top are you going to put on it?

cheers
Jerry

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness... My Basement HT / Rec Room Build
post #24 of 100 Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
HT1

Thanks Spydrman, Snow? Like it? I guess if we would get enough to justify a snowmobile then I wouldn't mind so much. But we get just enough to mess up the roads which means I have to wash my truck to get the salt off. Anyway, yes I have a plan for the bartop which I mentioned earlier. I just took some new pictures but need to get them to photobucket and update this thread. At this point the wood is ready to run thru a jointer then bisquit the pieces together. As soon as I get some time at home and not at my sons baseball practice I will post the pictures.

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #25 of 100 Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM

Salt and slush! the bad side of winter... Sorry I missed the post about the tree - hope it didn't do too much damage - but trees and houses usually don't mix too well...

What kind of wood have you turned from a round object into a beautiful bar top? It takes some skill to make that round object square and flat - it can be an interesting process.... can't wait to see the pics!

cheers
Jerry

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness... My Basement HT / Rec Room Build
post #26 of 100 Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
HT1

Ok, one of the items still on the "to do" list is the bar top. Many have asked about it so here goes. About a year ago Mr. 60' ash tree took a liking to my parents house during a wind storm. No one was hurt but mom still get's a little nervous when storm warnings hit the TV.

Yes it did some damage, 8 trusses needed replaced, new decking and roofing along with the normal drywall, electrical, paint............stuff on the inside.
At the time of the tree accident the bar/theater at my house was in the drywall stage. Dad had the idea to have the tree cut into logs when it was removed from the house.

60' ash tree, meet Mr. Stihl with the very sharp teeth.

We ended up with around 6 or 8 logs, 14 to 16' long and 18 to 20" in diameter. While enjoying a cold beverage with a foot resting on one of the logs the idea came that this might be a cool bartop.

Ash logs, meet Mr. Wood Mizer the portable saw mill.

Mr. Wood Mizer with it's 20 horse v-twin Koelher does a nice job of slicing logs into lumber.

The result was several 2" thick slabs, 14" wide and 14 to 16' long.

At this point the slabs have been plained to 1 1/2" and have been sliced into 2x6 and 2x8 boards and are ready to be run thru a jointer and put together with bisquits. After that it's back to the plainer. Chicago bar rail is a must but then I'm kinda unsure as to what I'm going to do. I've thought about using something on the boards (linseed oil) to bring out the grain but I don't want to change the color to much. It is really nice looking wood the way it is. I definitely want to go the route of the envirotex. So anyone with envirotex experience, once the pour is complete how does it change the color and characteristics of the wood? I have new pictures of the bar to post that will show the color of the cabinets. I want the bartop to stay lighter in color than the cabinets to add some contrast. I'm a complete noob at this so any feedback will be greatly appreciated. With the story behind the tree I really want to get this right first time. I don't know that I have enough wood left to start over if I mess it up.

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #27 of 100 Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just use the Etex with the confidence that it will not change the color of the wood very much. I say "much" because while Etex is clear, it has to offer some slight tint. Very slight. I don't notice it on my bar top at all. Do a test pour on some scraps and then compare it to the unfinished wood.

Good luck. I can't wait to see your pics when I get home...work pic blocker...
post #28 of 100 Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
HT1

Here are a couple of extra photos of the bar and lumber for the bartop as it sits right now.

I like this place!!!
HT1
post #29 of 100 Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Old

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very Nice. You did a great job.
Can't wait to see the bar top when you finish it.
Old.
post #30 of 100 Old 03-18-2009, 05:38 PM

Very nice room! Can't wait to see that bartop. What type of wood and stain did you use to face your bar? I am looking for that exact look.
Thanks!

Jay

3 things right, 100 things wrong.

My HT thread, view at your own risk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page