How to connect HD-DVD player to existing Home Theatre (Philips HTS3357)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-23-2009, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, I just realized how I dumb I am. So please be gentle with this noob.

I have a Philips HTS3357 home theatre system hooked up to a 32" Samsung LCD with an HDMI cable and is unlocked/hacked to play all region DVDs. I noticed how the DVD player said "HDMI" at a couple of places - and I assumed this meant it would play HD-DVD as well

Thing is, I ordered a huge ton of brand new HD-DVDs and ofcourse... opened one up and put it in the tray, the moment I put it in, I realized my mistake and stood staring at the player that said "HDMI" and not anything remotely close to "HD-DVD player".

So my question is, if I just buy a HD-DVD player... is there a way I can watch HD-DVD while making full use of the home theatre sound system of the Philips? Is there a way to connect an HD-DVD player to the Philips? Does the Philips have a port like an "HDMI-in"? What is the best solution for me?

Thanks in advance, your help is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
There are a couple of things you can do. Look on the back of your unit and look for audio in. There will be three different things you can look for. Digital coax in, RCA audio in, or optical in. Probably the best or the easiest for you is to use the digital coax OUT, or optical OUT from the HD-DVD PLAYER to appropriate INPUT on your Philips HTiB.

I just looked up your specs and it looks as though your unit offers a digital coax in so use that to make the audio connection.

As your TV is 32" you will see a difference between DVD and HD-DVD but it wont be as big a difference as say regular DVD and HD-DVD on a 100" screen. As far as an HD-DVD player you can usually get a Toshiba HD-A2/A3 for 40-80 bucks over on that famous auction site and there are usually many to choose from at this point.

To further clarify it appears there is not an HDMI in to your Philips so you would have to connect the HD-DVD player either with an HDMI or Component cables directly to the TV (to get HD material) and then run the audio to the Philips.

Good luck and I hope I have helped and what I explained makes sense.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
THANKS!

Yes, you made sense. I will try that.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page