The UN-Theater Build - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms > The UN-Theater Build
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 08:37 AM 09-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Props man.....This is the MOST beautiful vent cover I have EVER seen! Nice work.

Regards,

RTROSE

cane.mba's Avatar cane.mba 07:42 PM 09-13-2009
Don't stop progress! We the people demand more progress!!!

RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 08:30 PM 09-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

I think your sign is more optimistic than anything I wouldn't exactly say that hanes is blazing a trail, however I must say that the photos he has posted lately is by far the most progress I have seen in this thread since all of the "mold guys" left months ago.

I concur though, I as well as others are here to encourage, support, and harangue you into submission to get any progress we can out of you. Don't stop now the momentum is on your side.

Regards,

RTROSE
tony123's Avatar tony123 08:36 PM 09-13-2009
Man, how do I get friends as good as these?
hanesian's Avatar hanesian 04:56 AM 09-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Man, how do I get friends as good as these?

It's an old trick I learned back was I was just a lad in the Civil War ...

Of course, it can lead to some delays, which is what may be my problem on the build now.

cuzed2's Avatar cuzed2 08:11 AM 09-14-2009
Hanes,

As long as you are off topic (with no more build updates) I will share a Minnesota story triggered by your drunken horse photo, and I swear this is true:

Although I now live in No. Illinois, I spent the majority of my childhood experiencing family vacations North of your location, in Crosslake; about 30 miles North of Brainerd.

Every year Dad would pack us all into the station wagon for an afternoon side trip to Fifty Lakes, Minnesota >> a one intersection town; with a bar/gas station/general store.

The attraction:

The enterprising store/bar owner had a brown bear who lived in a cage in the middle of the "town" intersection. While he fed the parents cold Grain Belt and sandwiches; us kids would buy Orange NEHI pop, and actually pass it through the bars of the cage to the soda pop guzzling bear.

How politically incorrect, but great memories !!
hanesian's Avatar hanesian 10:40 AM 09-14-2009
And you expect us to believe Minnesota bears could be trained to drink Orange Nehis? HA! Everyone knows they are too busy working for that kind of silliness.

Now Grape Nehi is another matter all together. Every Tom, Dick and Harriet knows that! Just ask Radar.

P.S. And just for the record, it is the construction posts that are off topic in this thread, not the other way around.
cuzed2's Avatar cuzed2 10:47 AM 09-14-2009
Damn Hanes - It's good you are here to keep our priorities straight !!!
bwcafishing's Avatar bwcafishing 11:17 AM 09-14-2009
Cuze,
My Mom has a place just south of Fifty Lakes. I know the area pretty well. Your story reminds me of a quite funny, but true bear story of mine own. My best friend went on a hunting trip near Baudette, MN. On the way up, he and his friend stopped by a local dude's compound to see his pet bear. My friend Eric walked up the cage and the bear went up on his rear haunches and began flailing his left paw in large circles. As Eric was watching the circling paw, the bear took his right paw and smacked Eric right in the face through the bars of the cage. He conected with Eric's nose and his eyes began to water and he a bunch dirt and "Stuff" on his face. He got rope a doped by a bear! I still laugh to this day on that story.
cuzed2's Avatar cuzed2 12:12 PM 09-14-2009
Too Funny!! I guess back in the day it was not that unusual to have a bear as a pet.

So your Mom has a place just south of Fifty lakes?

We rented cabins in Crosslake for over 25 years. First at a place named Smith's Sandy Shores, and later at a nearby resort named Haven in the Pines. Back then the weekly vacationers made for quite a busy trade. Then about 20~25 years all the resorts were sold off into private homes. But the memories are wonderful..!
hanesian's Avatar hanesian 05:25 PM 09-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

Oh, oh.

I fear I may have built up unrealistic - and unattainable - expectations of ongoing progress.

Remember ...

cane.mba's Avatar cane.mba 07:52 AM 09-15-2009
Quote:

Oh, oh.

I fear I may have built up unrealistic - and unattainable - expectations of ongoing progress.

Remember ...

Perhaps I should have used this sign....

Chiahead's Avatar Chiahead 09:49 AM 09-15-2009
I used to drive down Hanes street when he was a kid, and I thought oh how sad:

But now I feel better knowing there is work for him as he is older:

Iusteve's Avatar Iusteve 11:31 AM 09-15-2009
Am only one here that is starting to believe that there is no real build going on here?? I mean I havent seen a picture of "progress" in months.....however I have seen ALOT of pictures of funny animals and such. Just wondering if we will ever get to see a tunnel let alone light at the end of it???? LOL
Iusteve's Avatar Iusteve 11:34 AM 09-15-2009

I do however have to say that those may be the BEST theater seats I have ever seen. Please tell us more about these babies....where did you get them? What did they cost? What are the dimensions? And what material are they made of? I did notice though that it appears you are going with two rows of seats....so I assume a riser is in your future....may I say............NICE MAN!!!
hanesian's Avatar hanesian 01:13 PM 09-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Am only one here that is starting to believe that there is no real build going on here?? I mean I havent seen a picture of "progress" in months.....however I have seen ALOT of pictures of funny animals and such. Just wondering if we will ever get to see a tunnel let alone light at the end of it???? LOL

Far be it from me to resort to facts when BS is so much more convenient, but a Fact checker is in order here, my friend:

Date of last photo showing actual build photos in my build thread: 9/11/09 (4 days ago)

Date of last photo showing actual build progress in your build thread: 7/31/09 (a month and a half ago) - and that was just the bar alone - not the HT.

Last HT build photo: 4/23/09 (almost 5 months ago).

Ergo, ... huh?

NEXT!!

Quote:

I do however have to say that those may be the BEST theater seats I have ever seen. Please tell us more about these babies....where did you get them? What did they cost? What are the dimensions? And what material are they made of? I did notice though that it appears you are going with two rows of seats....so I assume a riser is in your future....may I say............NICE MAN!!!

That means so much to me coming from a guy who owns this beauty that he couldn't even give away:

Quote:

Future screen wall and a beauty of a couch (Free for the taking for anyone interested)

I can see why you'd be so jealous of my couches. Unfortunately, they will not be available for use in the HT - assuming there ever IS one - as I have refinished them and moved them to my pool:

I understand, though - you really haven't been yourself since the Irish self-destructed against the hated Wolverines.

There's always next year ...
tony123's Avatar tony123 01:28 PM 09-15-2009
My 4 year old is really enjoying your thread. He keeps asking to look at the one with all the pictures. The lady with the funny glasses and now the couch in the pool. HHis comment about your thread, "that's silly". You summed it up son.
hanesian's Avatar hanesian 02:47 PM 09-15-2009
Thanks, Tony. I appreciate the positive feedback.

It's good to know I've successfully connected with my target demographic (intelligent, illiterate 4 year olds with a refined sense of humor), and I haven't even had to use my secret weapon poopy-pants photos yet!

Life is good ...
Todd Lee's Avatar Todd Lee 03:39 PM 09-15-2009
People at work keep asking me where I am finding all of these funny pictures.

Thanks guys!
hanesian's Avatar hanesian 12:57 PM 09-16-2009
Funny pictures?!

This is a serious architectural thread here. You must have confused us with somebody else's thread.
hanesian's Avatar hanesian 05:04 PM 09-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Don't stop now the momentum is on your side.

Thanks, Sarge. I'm glad someone noticed.

Iusteve's Avatar Iusteve 09:57 PM 09-16-2009
Date of last photo showing actual build photos in my build thread: 9/11/09 (4 days ago)

Date of last photo showing actual build progress in your build thread: 7/31/09 (a month and a half ago) - and that was just the bar alone - not the HT.

Wow 7-31....that was quite a while ago....hmm. Well I do have pics to post and I will get right to those.
Last HT build photo: 4/23/09 (almost 5 months ago).

Ergo, ... huh?

To this I say.....That is why my build is in the "media/game rooms" forums as it is not a dedicated theater......I am building a bar that happens to have a projector and screen as well.

NEXT!!

That means so much to me coming from a guy who owns this beauty that he couldn't even give away:

There is an update I forgot I actually did manage to give that beauty away and FYI that beast had DUAL FOOTRESTS!! What do your little cute twins have??

I understand, though - you really haven't been yourself since the Irish self-destructed against the hated Wolverines.

There's always next year ...[/quote]
My Irish didnt self destruct it was that pathetic excuse for an "offensive genius"....I mean who passes in that situation....let alone twice in a row......

Ok back to silly pictures I didnt mean to get you all riled up here.....geeeesh!!
hanesian's Avatar hanesian 04:46 AM 09-17-2009
Just having some fun bustin' chops back, Iusteve. Didn't intend for it to sound like I was actually worked up.

And BTW, both the wife and I are Domers, so I feel your pain with Weis & the boys in recent seasons. I just had to disconnect emotionally from them long ago as I don't do roller coasters very well, especially with two brothers-in-law who are Michigan die-hards!
hanesian's Avatar hanesian 08:54 AM 09-17-2009

Readers with young eyes (or good reading glasses!) may have noticed I recently mentioned that there was a reason why I had not been talking about (or posting any photos of) the main HT/rec room area of the basement, but just the laundry room & bed room/hang out room:
Quote:

The battlefield for this engagement was intentionally limited to just the southern half of the basement, which includes the laundry room and the bedroom, or more likely (now that "the kid" has moved out again) the hang out room. Or perhaps the HT - who the hell knows anymore?! The main area of the basement (current rec room) was intentionally left untouched by this assault, for reasons to be made clear soon.

Incredibly, a few of you - and you know who you are so I won't name names - have even begun inciting the masses by openly questioning if there is any HT in this project at all, simply because there has been no mention or proof of it in, oh I don't know ... months at least. Man I hate observant people. So obviously I have no choice but to finally come clean and fill yous riff-raff in on some of the behind the scenes things that have had a wee influence on this so-called "build" in recent months. I mean in addition to my usual cluelessness and lack of know-how affecting the entire project. That's just a given.

I've been hesitant to pull back the curtains on my so-called life and elaborate for a while, since it is easier - and much more fun - to post silly photos and comments. But journalistic integrity (which is so important to us Emmy-winning photojournalists ) demands I drop my drawers, so to speak, and level with you. But please keep looking me in the eye as I do so.

Every now and then it seems even the best laid plans of mice and men go awry and run head-first into that entirely unexpected obstacle known as reality, which often times derails those plans, or at least twists them around so that they are all but unrecognizable. And mine were certainly not the best laid plans. Not by a long shot.

That's pretty much how I found myself in this (so called) HT project in the first place - because of the entirely unplanned, unanticipated and unwanted mold problem that served as the catalyst for all the craziness that has followed since.

It happened again. No, not the mold part - the unanticipated part. First let me briefly recap, especially for those sane souls who didn't actually read the early posts in this now long-in-the-tooth, pathetic thread.

First I backed into this unanticipated and unplanned unproject because of the mold problem which forced us into trashing large portions of the basement (among other areas) anyways, so - heck! - why NOT rebuild it better than before, and toss in a PJ, screen and speakers and call it a HT just for some consolation! Cheaper than years of psychotherapy and scads of alcohol, I told myself.

Well, here we are just one year, two and a half bathrooms, one furnace, three rebuilt closets, a new bed, and one large woodpile later, and I'm still not done. Excluding the alcohol portion, of course.

In the meantime, the kid I used to have returned safely home from the war, languished for several months in a construction zone, and moved back out and into his own apartment, muttering something under his breath about woodpiles and insulation and the desert being more comfortable than this.

But lest you think that would leave the construction zone unoccupied and therefore more ripe for progress, well ... here sit down because here comes the punch line: just as he was moving out, others were moving in.

Long story short(er), our "family" increased slightly from the missus and me plus 2 teeny boppers to the missus and me, 2 teeny boppers, a brother & sister-in-law, and their 4 kids ages 2 - 7, as my wife's sister's family needed a temporary place to live while their new house, bought in a recent relocation to the area, was undergoing a major addition. And if you think that was a long sentence to read, try living it!!

So our cozy little home is fairly bursting at the seams with 6 extra people for a while, although since 4 of them are 7 years old and younger, at least it's nice and quiet and calm. Fortunately we all get along great, as we get to spend plenty of time rubbing elbows. And it's a treat to have the pitter-patter of little elephant feet (and the crashing of things they get into) echoing around the house again. But it does pose some space management challenges, and one of the casualties was the rec/room/future HT, which has been converted from a early (and sadly dormant) construction zone into a bedroom for mom, dad and (depending on the night) one or two of the little kids. To wit:

Pretty posh accommodations, eh? Obviously it would have been nice if I had not been such a bloody ****** and gotten the basement build completed before they moved in, but I was going as fast as I could (which I'll be the first to admit ain't saying much).

Besides, we didn't exactly plan on this development, and the sun was in my eyes, plus I got a bit hung up at work.

Sooooo, here's the plan. For now. Until something else unexpected happens.

Focus all efforts of the southern half of basement that includes the laundry room and bed room/hang out room. With Chris's recent help we're (thankfully) almost finished with the framing and prep work in there. Just a bit more electric work, the low voltage wiring and some more insulation and we'll be ready for drywall - I'm talking now ONLY about the southern half of the basement. Nothing happens in the temporary living area until it is no longer a temporary living area.

And here cane.mba's early guess is right on - I'm hiring out the drywall so we can get 'er done asap. Then we'll paint, do some very quick trim work (with Chris) and move the gypsies into the now finished bed room area. When they're gone we'll do the same process in the rec room and other area, at which point we should be done with everything except the sauna, which I'll finish myself (he managed to say with a mostly straight face).

By the time that is all done, it will be time to move out and into the old folks home. I sure hope they have at least a large screen TV there, because I'm sure going to miss the dream of having an HT with a big screen.

Thanks, cat.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
Chiahead's Avatar Chiahead 09:23 AM 09-17-2009
Stop the excuses, even without family there, you know you still wouldn't have done a thing down there...

As for the southern front, keep your eyes open and learn what you can, so when the rec room opens, you have some skills to start attacking that front. Get the southern front done, so you don't need to fight on 2 fronts at once, until the mold decides it is time to flank you again...
jpdeuce's Avatar jpdeuce 11:30 AM 09-17-2009
Quote:

In the meantime, the kid I used to have returned safely home from the war...

Congrats, and tell him thank you for his service.

Quote:

as my wife's sister's family needed a temporary place to live while their new house, bought in a recent relocation to the area, was undergoing a major addition. And if you think that was a long sentence to read, try living it!!

As someone who has had his mother-in-law living with him for the majority of his marriage, I know it takes a special person to live with family again. I'm sure they appreciate your kindness more than they might express.
Darkship's Avatar Darkship 02:22 PM 09-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

My 4 year old is really enjoying your thread. He keeps asking to look at the one with all the pictures. The lady with the funny glasses and now the couch in the pool. HHis comment about your thread, "that's silly". You summed it up son.

Here's some more silliness of Hanesian proportions:

Note the hand in the house. I don't know if they are running, but they have got the scissors!
hanesian's Avatar hanesian 08:13 PM 09-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkship View Post

Note the hand in the house. I don't know if they are running, but they have got the scissors!

You got me. And I thought I was being so discrete.

I'm going to have to get some less shiny scissors.
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 09:30 PM 09-17-2009
Yup, I second the call to thank your son for his service. The men and women in our military don't hear thanks near enough.

I understand the complications of bringing another family under your roof and I sure hope they are great/thankful for their posh living quarters. Your family is very generous to accommodate them. Your dream of a finished basement WILL be a reality it just takes time. Just keep plugging away.

Regards,

RTROSE
CJO's Avatar CJO 07:38 AM 09-18-2009
Bah.. it sounds like you have more help to me! (which is why my inlaws moved out after about 6 months of living in my house)

CJ
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop