post #541 of 1792 Old 10-10-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

I'd say you were making good progress on the room, if I could see it. Which I can't. So I won't.

Stay tuned - trying to catch up the posting with progress. Here's some more.

First, I decided conquering my Waterloo - that bloody wall in the laundry room with all the pipes and obstructions - just once was not enough. After wavering back and forth I went with my Genius Builder Brother in Hawaii's advice and moved the entire wall out about 10 inches. This will allow us to have one nice, unobstructed wall with the dryer vent inside the wall, rather than a bunch of soffits and what not. Plus it will make installing cabinets in the futre much easier.

So I framed out the wall about 10 inches into the room, which meant (among other things) that I had to get my plumber back in to make a couple adjustments before the drywall went up.

First, we added an in-wall drain for the washing machine, something we've never bothered with before. Second, we extended the plumbing to the laundry sink, which we wanted to keep for various big sink uses (how's that for specificity?)

Here's the drain going in, and the extension to the sink pipes in progress.

I'll show the sink installed later - once it's reinstalled. And I guess you'll have to take my word for the relocated outlet, unless and until I can put my finger on a photo of that.

You would think I had forgotten how to use the camera, but maybe I was just actually busy working for a change. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1792 Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In the midst of all this last minute scrambling, the drywall arrived and was humped down to the basement by two strong young backs with guys attached to them. Here they are unloading the first load onto a trailer like thing that they used to roll them down the hill and around to my back walk out basement door.

Two and a half hours later, the basement was filled with a bunch of drywall and supplies. I'm pleased to say my back felt great and I didn't have any sore muscles the next day. And you all thought I was too old for this sort of thing!

You can also see the completed soffit in the above photo, not to mention the nicely insulated HT!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #543 of 1792 Old 10-10-2009, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unaccustomed as I am to actually working, I was surprised at how beat up my hands got during this last push.

But no time to bleed - time was running out.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #544 of 1792 Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Sorry - it's being used for more valuable cargo.

OFFICER: Sir have you been drinking tonight?

Hanes: NO SIR! What would make you say that?

OFFICER: Because there's beer there with you in the seat.

Hanes: Honestly officer I'm just protecting my precious cargo. I think you are being unreasonable. Just because I have beer in the seat with me doesn't mean I have been drinking. Sheesh!

OFFICER: Are you arguing with me sir?

Hanes: NO, I only argue when I'm drunk!

Well at least the soffit looks good. You can't tell (from the photos at least) that it was your first effort. Glad to see you are still progressing. I too paid for delivery and spotting of the drywall and assorted items. That was hands down the best money I have ever spent on delivery charges. My guys were here about 2 to 2 1/2 hours as well and I think it only cost me about 40 bucks extra. Well worth it.

I know that doing the extra work on the laundry was a pain, but I think you will be much happier and further down the road doing it this way. Again you will be amazed at the transformation drywall will make.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #545 of 1792 Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

T'was the night before drywall hanging, and all through the house ...

Amazingly, we finished - more or less - on time for hanging the rock. I even had a few hours to spare, as I went to bed at about 3 am, so no sweat!

HT looking from doorway towards screen wall, with the drywall awaiting installation.

From front right corner, looking towards left wall and part of rear wall (to left).

Looking towards the entry door, with back wall on right.

Laundry room, view towards main back wall (Waterloo)

Laundry, looking back towards entry door.

As Drew says, that took longer than I thought ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #546 of 1792 Old 10-12-2009, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking good hanes. Are you using all that saved up energy (from not having to haul DW) to hang, tape, mud and sand all by yourself or are you subbing that too?
post #547 of 1792 Old 10-12-2009, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, queen. Hanging, taping, mudding and sanding all subbed out. Time is of the essence - trying to get our temporary live-in guests/family into a finished room (the future HT) and out of the Never Ending Construction Zone. If I continued to do this myself - with occasional help from friends - it would be months, if not longer. Subbed out it will be done in about a week or so, start to finish.

And then one day ... some day ... movie nirvana down there. I can't wait to prop our current 21" beauty of a TV up in front of the 100"+ projected image at some point. But it might be a bit of a shock to the family's system. They've kinda gotten used to family movie night the hanesian way.

Although please note from the photo above that we at least have a (wired) remote with our current system, which is handy despite the fact you have to sit within arm's length of the screen to see it anyways ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #548 of 1792 Old 10-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a suggestion, but you may not want to hire that lollypop crew to do your painting..

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #549 of 1792 Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the tip on the painting crew. Of the many kid disasters we've had over the years, so far we've been spared that particular one.

And I hope to keep it that way ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #550 of 1792 Old 10-12-2009, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Drywall Men Hangeth!

First up was the ceiling sound channels, to add some element of sound containment, albeit it without the DD & GG, it won't be the sound management that many get into. This also shows the half inch particle board I installed so that I had some flexibility when it came time to hang the PJ.

By the time I got back from a quick morning meeting, these rock-hanging machines had almost finished the entire HT room!

I asked them how they could work so fast, and if I could speak Spanish better I would tell you their answer. As it is, I guess it will have to remain one of the mysteries of the universe.

Here's some more progress shots. That opening on the right where the plumbing stack is will be made into an in-wall cabinet for storing DVDs and assorted crap. That was a late decision, but it just seemed like too much perfectly good space to lose - it will be about 20" wide and 18" deep, and as you can see probably almost 5' long. Lots of storage space there. Hope I can figure out how to finish that off.

From the door, looking towards the screen wall.

And into the laundry room:

Forgive me if I get a bit verklempt, but I wasn't sure I would live to see the day that drywall would begin going up. I still have visions of mold dancing in my head.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #551 of 1792 Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

These pictures almost bring a tear to my eye. Progress at hyperspeed, who would have thought...

Amazing what a difference dry wall makes!

Thanks,

Mike

post #552 of 1792 Old 10-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Liked: 11
Nice pile of drywall, I am truely jealous. I managed to make some framing progress over the weekend and have started thinking about thinking about drywall

One of the things I have been thinking about recently is adding a hidden area for a safe, maybe you could use part of that in-wall cabinet for something like that.
post #553 of 1792 Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitSehT View Post

One of the things I have been thinking about recently is adding a hidden area for a safe, maybe you could use part of that in-wall cabinet for something like that.

Hmmm. Never thought of that. Of course, by the time I'm done with this project I won't have anything left of any value to hide.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #554 of 1792 Old 10-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Liked: 11
Same thing here, I thought I could put the R rated movies in there to keep them out the kids hands. Seriously though, in my little fire safe I have passports, cheques, etc. nothing special but gives me a bit of piece of mind.
post #555 of 1792 Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Sweet! But don't make it too nice or your relatives may never leave .
post #556 of 1792 Old 10-12-2009, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Wow! What a difference a drywall day makes. Looking good.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #557 of 1792 Old 10-13-2009, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
Hanes,

Looking Good!!!

What can I say; I had to do a double take, and then a 3rd check just to make sure I was on the correct thread..?

CONGRATULATIONS!!
Although be warned >> The ratio of "Productive photos" -vs- "Fun photos" is seriously out of balance here...........

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #558 of 1792 Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Wow! What a difference a drywall day makes. Looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Hanes,
Looking Good!!!

What can I say; I had to do a double take, and then a 3rd check just to make sure I was on the correct thread..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

These pictures almost bring a tear to my eye. Progress at hyperspeed, who would have thought...

Who da man?!?!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #559 of 1792 Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Sweet! But don't make it too nice or your relatives may never leave .

Good point. But with 4 little ones running underfoot (and another one the way!) once their house gets done they will be so anxious to get back into it I'm guessing they'll sleep in sleeping bags on the floor! Then I'll twist the knife by turning that room into it's final destination as a HT, and they will rue the day they wasted using it as a mere bedroom!

As an extra "subscriber's only" bonus (and anyone else who is foolish enough to be reading along), here's a hint of what their house project looks like right now:

BIL tearing up the old floor.

Lower level

New addition / family room

There's a new addition upstairs as well, in addition to converting the attic to bedrooms, but I couldn't put my hands on photos right now.

But you can see they've got a huge project on their hands - not as big as BWCA's, but still almost an entire gut & add on - and they are hoping to be back in by Thanksgiving. Obviously, they are doing almost none of it themselves - my BIL is about as unhandy as me, but he cut the costs a bit by put his amazing set of building skills to work by doing some of the demo work (which also explains why he wasn't available much to help with my basement project) - so they have a chance of finishing it before long. But I'm guessing it will be closer to Christmas before it's done. Just a matter of when they choose to move in - at completion, or when it is usable.

We now return you to your regular programming. Hold on tight - GERONIMO!!!!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #560 of 1792 Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As some of you may have heard - or perhaps even experienced - autumn in Minnesota can be a wee bit unpredictable, as in below freezing one week and 70 degrees the next. Lately it's been trending much more to the below freezing category, including a couple inches of snow the other night, which can pose all sorts of frustrations not the least of which is what can happen if you have a wife who tends to forget to roll up her car windows when coming home, always thinking she will be going out again soon.

Fortunately for her, she married someone who is perfect and never makes any mistakes, so we can complement one another well.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #561 of 1792 Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

As some of you may have heard - or perhaps even experienced - autumn in Minnesota can be a wee bit unpredictable, as in below freezing one week and 70 degrees the next. Lately it's been trending much more to the below freezing category, including a couple inches of snow the other night, which can pose all sorts of frustrations not the least of which is what can happen if you have a wife who tends to forget to roll up her car windows when coming home, always thinking she will be going out again soon.

Oh man...all you can do is laugh to keep yourself from crying. Dare I ask, but was there any lasting damage from this incident?

That was quite a bit of snow for October. It surprised me, anyway.
post #562 of 1792 Old 10-13-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

Oh man...all you can do is laugh to keep yourself from crying. Dare I ask, but was there any lasting damage from this incident?

Only to someone's pride.

But I now have new ammunition to use as needed for years to come, or until I forget it, whichever comes first ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #563 of 1792 Old 10-14-2009, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not very noticeable progress, but here are a few shots of the mudding in progress.

One thing noticeable in the last shot that I don't think I've mentioned yet is the door to the under-the-stairs equipment closet. Previously it was a homemade door about 5' tall and an odd width of about 25". I've roughed in the new door for normal height and 28" width so it looks better from the room, and so I can just buy a normal prehung door and at least walk in and take a step before ducking. Here's a shot of the old door.

Still have to figure out exactly how to lay out the equipment closet.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #564 of 1792 Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Hanes, now why did go ahead and take away my door without asking first !
post #565 of 1792 Old 10-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Hanes,

What are the cables hanging down the wall to the right of the adult size version of Queen's special door?

Thanks,

Mike

post #566 of 1792 Old 10-14-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Hanes, now why did go ahead and take away my door without asking first !

I'm so sorry, my dear little munchkin Queen, but I hit my tiara one too many times on the top of that pesky little munchkin door frame, so it simply had to go!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #567 of 1792 Old 10-14-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

Hanes,

What are the cables hanging down the wall to the right of the adult size version of Queen's special door?

Those are the various cables (including the kitchen sink) for the PJ, which will be hung on the ceiling just in front of that back wall. I've got a powerbridge to help manage those cables, but it's not yet installed in that photo. Plus I can pull the cables back into the ceiling as much as I need to, as I have easy access to the ceiling and the wall on the opposite side of that wall. I intentionally erred on the side of having the cables long, just in case, knowing I could easily pull them back into the ceiling from behind once I got the PJ hung. I did NOT want to go to connect the PJ and find the cable I needed was a day late and an inch short!

Plus I heard somewhere that if the cables are long enough you might be able to increase the volume output on your amp to 11!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #568 of 1792 Old 10-14-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Plus I heard somewhere that if the cables are long enough you might be able to increase the volume output on your amp to 11!

[/quote]

Simply AWESOME!!! 11 ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Now if only there were a 12 setting

Anyway the reason for the visit is to congratulate you on some serious/visible progress. Congrats my man things are REALLY coming together down there even if it has turned out to be temporary housing for family, someday this may be a sweet HT......someday..........................

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #569 of 1792 Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Only to someone's pride.

But I now have new ammunition to use as needed for years to come, or until I forget it, whichever comes first ...

Phew...good to hear. No physical damage and a free pass for your next snafu...not too bad after all.

There's nothing worse than preventable accidents, though I suppose all accidents are preventable...some more than others.

BTW, looks like your drywall guys did a nice job. Did they also tape/sand? If you think they're decent, would you PM me their info? I plan to be doing my ceilings next spring. My basement walls, thankfully, were already finished when we moved in. The south end is knotty pine paneling (not unlike what you started with, Hanes), the north is drywalled. I struggle with the thought of trying to retain some of the 50's basement feel while still making meaningful updates. I happen to like the knotty pine and some of the other vintage touches, but I don't want that to handcuff me as I make updates. Its a tricky balance. Like you, I don't appreciate the lack of insulation behind the knotty pine, so that may be its death knell.

The big question for me is the flooring. The previous owners (who lived here for decades) had put in a tile floor with hand-cut inlays of shuffleboard, martini glasses, etc. I'm a big fan of carpet in basements (dry basements, anyway) for warmth and comfort reasons, but I'd hate to cover up the flooring. For now, we're making a go of it with area rugs. We'll see what happens when remodeling shifts from the kitchen to the basement.
post #570 of 1792 Old 10-15-2009, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Simply AWESOME!!! 11 ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Now if only there were a 12 setting

There is...

Quote:

No amps for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

I know this is foreign to you given the tender age, but they have these things these days called DAWs (digital audio workstations). You could load up a virtual Marshall stack and shred, 'cause you know the programmers made it go to 12.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page