The UN-Theater Build - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1792 Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I am now calling on all of my legendary powers of self control to stop sneaking into the almost finished future HT room/current bedroom to sit and stare forlornly at the blank wall which will one day contain movies. And when that doesn't work, I just start looking at all the work that remains to be done in the rest of the basement!

Next up is completing the laundry room, which is partially drywalled, but part was left un-drywalled because I need to frame in a closet and a soffit. Plus I also need to put in the dricore, but I can't do that until I level out one area of the concrete floor a bit more. Plus some electrical. And so on.

This is me that shows I am just as enthusiastic about this portion of the project as I was about the HT portion.

I'll post some photos of the next phase of the project, which includes the laundry room, a hallway, the main rec room and a small craft room for the missus.

Baby steps ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1792 Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I am now calling on all of my legendary powers of self control to stop sneaking into the almost finished future HT room/current bedroom to sit and stare forlornly at the blank wall which will one day contain movies.

Good idea, it's alittle creapy when the extended family is in there trying to sleep and you come along and just want to sit and stare. Although no more creapy than many of your drive by posts.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #723 of 1792 Old 11-17-2009, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #724 of 1792 Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since pouring cement does not make for the most exciting visual experience, I decided to instead take a step back and visually represent my progress on the basement project thus far.

Clearly I still have my work cut out for me.

post #725 of 1792 Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 AM
HT1

Liked: 10
Don't stop now you've been making great progress. And if you finish that pie project you will also be making great weight.

I like this place!!!
HT1

post #726 of 1792 Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't stopped, but I have slowed down. I'm on day 3 of pouring self leveling concrete to bring the laundry room floor closer to level so I can put down dricore in there and finish that room. I thought it would take one day.

There is much more there to fill in than I realized. Three trips to HD for more self leveling stuff and I'm almost there ...

post #727 of 1792 Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, just a few quick photos to show you the fascinating floor fiesta.

Here's a BEFORE shot of the laundry room floor that needs to be leveled a bit before I can put in the dricore or any other floor covering. Between the drain there and last year's installation of drain tile around that wall, I ended up with almost a 2" drop.

And a couple shots with the self leveling fill in place ... although not quite enough yet. I had to go back to HD to reload.

I told you it was thrilling.

post #728 of 1792 Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Since pouring cement does not make for the most exciting visual experience, I decided to instead take a step back and visually represent my progress on the basement project thus far.

Clearly I still have my work cut out for me.

Mmmmmmm.............pie...........I like pie.............

I look at your "visual representation" of what you have accomplished and what needs to be accomplished and all I see for my ENTIRE build is a small sliver of a piece cut out (kids area) and the remainder of the pie for the work left to do. So I guess the moral of the story NEVER put your progress into a graph or chart, it will just depress you, and don't use something you like as a visual representation for your progress because you just may loose your appetite!

Just keep your head down and plugging away, it is all any one of us can do.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #729 of 1792 Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another off topic - and serious - post, since I've had a number of questions about the status of our friend's son, Paul, who some will recall was in a serious car accident a couple months ago and has been on life support ever since. After a long and valiant struggle, Paul passed away tonight.

Thanks for all your prayers.

post #730 of 1792 Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm sorry, Hanes.

John
post #731 of 1792 Old 11-19-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another off topic - and serious - post, since I've had a number of questions about the status of our friend's son, Paul, who some will recall was in a serious car accident a couple months ago and has been on life support ever since. After a long and valiant struggle, Paul passed away tonight.

Sorry to hear that Hanes.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming!
post #732 of 1792 Old 11-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Hanes, so sorry to hear about Paul's passing, I am sure all of you are heart broken. Will be praying for his family & friends.

John
post #733 of 1792 Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm so very sorry for you, your family, and Paul's family. I will continue to lift all of you in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless you all.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #734 of 1792 Old 11-21-2009, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks folks. Appreciate it.

post #735 of 1792 Old 11-21-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hanes, my condolences to you and Paul's family. I will be praying for all of you too.

post #736 of 1792 Old 11-23-2009, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Queen. Since it was becoming clear that his chances for recovery or survival were very slim, the end was almost a blessing. We'll be heading to Chicago tomorrow for the wake & funeral, then spend Thanksgiving there with my inlaws, so no construction progress for a while.

I've made some minor construction progress in recent days, but much more exciting was I picked up a PJ this weekend! I grabbed an Epson HC 8100 when BB took $400 off the price Saturday morning! I was planning on getting one during the Black Friday sales this week, but this big price drop - combined with great reviews and limited inventory - pushed me off the fence and into the land of PJ owners. Very exciting - although I think my 21" SD tube TV may be sensing he is no longer #1 in my entertainment life!

Not to worry though - it is still in the box, and will remain so for at least another week.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

EDIT: For once I may have timed my purchase just right: BB raised their price on this PJ by $200 this morning. Makes me glad I jumped on it right away to get the super price.

post #737 of 1792 Old 11-23-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Deepest condolences from our family to Paul's family and yourselves. You will all be in our prayers !!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #738 of 1792 Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry to hear about Paul passing.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #739 of 1792 Old 11-24-2009, 04:44 PM

I've been away for a while- your long drawn out project is looking great since last I saw it!

Sorry to hear of the lose

If at first you do succeed- try to hide your astonishment.

My Concrete Counter Build!

post #740 of 1792 Old 11-24-2009, 08:16 PM

The Huttman clan is thinking of you. All the best to your family.

Cheers,
B

post #741 of 1792 Old 11-27-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A happy belated Turkey Day to one and all.

Back in town, and ready to rock and roll again.

I mean, relatively speaking. For me.

Which means I'm definitely going to start thinking about planning my next move on my build. Just as soon as I digest all this turkey.

Burp.

post #742 of 1792 Old 11-27-2009, 03:51 PM

Liked: 13
Keep thinking Hanes, the answers are there somewhere........Happy belated Turkey Day!

My home / Theater / Rec Room build

post #743 of 1792 Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcafishing View Post

Keep thinking Hanes, the answers are there somewhere........Happy belated Turkey Day!

Slow down...remember this is hanes, let him find the questions first .

post #744 of 1792 Old 11-27-2009, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Or at least post a useless picture about it.

Right back at ya buddy, Happy Turkey Day to you too.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #745 of 1792 Old 11-30-2009, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

All right all you wise arses ... I finally found the question:

post #746 of 1792 Old 11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Well then I guess we'd just "Turn ourselves about"!!

&fs=1" width="644" height="390">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&fs=1" />[ATTN POSTER: YouTube Insert Error: Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click 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" target="_blank">here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.]

Regards,

RTROSE

post #747 of 1792 Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RT,

Very impressive - imbeded videos! You turn yourself around, and that's what its all about!

post #748 of 1792 Old 12-01-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Figured you would appreciate a little AC/DC. Glad I did not disappoint.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #749 of 1792 Old 12-02-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Although that guy needs to take some lip-syncing lessons from Milli Vanilli.

post #750 of 1792 Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All right, I'm almost done with the last of the demoing and framing in the entire basement!! But before I call the demo done, I need to decide whether or not I'm going to open up the stairway a bit more or leave it essentially as is.

Here's a few photos. First from the landing looking down the stairs.

Oops - that wasn't the right one ... here it is:

Then from the bottom looking back up the stairs.

And another one from in the main rec room looking back towards the stairs. Beyond is the almost finished laundry room and HT room.

Below is a view from the laundry room door looking back at the stairs and the small hallway area leading to the HT room; if you look closely in the upper left hand corner of the picture you'll see the supporting I beam which is limiting how much of the stairway wall I could open up.

And another view looking towards the HT room (that's the equipment closet on the left still open) after that.

So you can see the red and blue tape I've put on the walls to help visualize exactly how much of the stairway walls I could open up. I was originally going to open it up, but now I'm having second thoughts since the ceiling beam means I can't easily open it up as much as I had originally thought, so now I'm not sure it's worth the hassle for the little bit of openness gained.

Here's an old shot (before any construction began) of the portion of the rec room wall that could be opened up a little - I hadn't realized how long it's been since I'd taken any photos of the main rec room. Once I morphed the plan to put the HT into another room, I apparently spent less time taking photos in the rec room.

So gang - opinions pro and con on the ripping open the stairway a bit?

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page