post #901 of 1792 Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitSehT View Post

You know I am cheap when I looked at your dumpster and said "hey, he is throwing out perfectly good pieces of styrofoam insulation"

Nice woodpile, matches the panelling

I used to save scraps of material, like the insulation, also. Until I got overwhelmed with trying to fit 10 pounds of crap into a 5 pound bag. Then I started throwing out everything that wasn't nailed down, including non-construction stuff in storage. We accumulate so much crap along the path of life, and it's time to jettison some of the "essential" stuff I've had - but never used - for a decade or more.

I can't stand seeing that old paneling anymore. It will all either be drywalled over or - in the case of the fireplace wall - painted over. I used to love the old knotty pine basement vibe, but I've had my fill of it now. It's history, or will be shortly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1792 Old 03-06-2010, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Yeah, cleaning is a pain, that is why I try to go clean as you go. Day is done, get the trash out.

Michael,

I try to do the same ... on the rare occasions when work is actually occurring! The bigger challenge for me has been all the furniture and boxes of crap that accumulates during the non-build phase (which for me is most of the time). Move stuff from this corner of the basement to that corner and back again as we finish this room or that, or some gypsies move into our house and set up shop in the middle of what is supposed to be a construction zone.

Anyway, we've moved most of the remaining stuff up to the garage and/or storage pod, but it never seems to end! Just a little bit more ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPMM View Post

I truly enjoy reading your thread and with progress looming on the horizon, the fear that one day all of this might come to a end had me thinking/typing crazy things.

But then, I was reassured this morning after you posted another pic. With a new wood pile magically appearing in your home (or is it the garage one you keep moving around ) it seems that we are in for months, perhaps years of continued entertainment.

Unless I throw a curve ball by bringing in an army of experts to help, in which case all bets are off. Meet my new work crew, taking a bit of a breather from all their hard work:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #903 of 1792 Old 03-06-2010, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Framing on the last stretch of perimeter wall begins. Here's the main walk-out wall finally framed in.

With that last little piece of framing, all the exterior walls are finally both insulated and framed. I count that as a milestone worthy of celebrating, seeing as how this project began back in the early 18th century. Therefore, this build will be temporarily halted for a few days to celebrate this auspicious and most memorable occasion.

Just kidding!

No stopping for anything now! Full speed ahead! Busy as a beaver! Throw caution to the wind! California or Bust! Do or die! Nothing can stop me now ...

Oops.

post #904 of 1792 Old 03-06-2010, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I used to save scraps of material, like the insulation, also. Until I got overwhelmed with trying to fit 10 pounds of crap into a 5 pound bag. Then I started throwing out everything that wasn't nailed down, including non-construction stuff in storage. We accumulate so much crap along the path of life, and it's time to jettison some of the "essential" stuff I've had - but never used - for a decade or more.

I can't stand seeing that old paneling anymore. It will all either be drywalled over or - in the case of the fireplace wall - painted over. I used to love the old knotty pine basement vibe, but I've had my fill of it now. It's history, or will be shortly.

Hanesy - true that. That is a life lesson that oddly enough I have learned during the process of my build. Every time I wanted to do something, some crap was in my way. I continue to "declutter" and it feels good.

post #905 of 1792 Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Is that real pictures of real progress? For real, real pictures of progress???? Not fake pictures of real progress or real pictures of fake progress????????..........Confused?????? Yup, me too and I wrote the blasted post.

Anyway IF that is REAL progress you should reconsider.......your reputation as a slacker may be suspect from here on out.

Proceed with caution my friend......dangerous territory you are entering.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #906 of 1792 Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDean View Post

Hanesy - true that. That is a life lesson that oddly enough I have learned during the process of my build. Every time I wanted to do something, some crap was in my way. I continue to "declutter" and it feels good.

Yeah - with Audixium's help I'm on the Twelve Step Program to Zen-hood: breath in deeply through the nose while centering oneself and envisioning a warm, tranquil sand beach, then exhale sloooooowly through the mouth ... while fanatically throwing everything I can lay my hands on into the dumpster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Is that real pictures of real progress? For real, real pictures of progress???? Not fake pictures of real progress or real pictures of fake progress????????..........Confused?????? Yup, me too and I wrote the blasted post.

Anyway IF that is REAL progress you should reconsider.......your reputation as a slacker may be suspect from here on out.

Proceed with caution my friend......dangerous territory you are entering.

If you think you are confused, imagine what my poor family is going through! Think Invasion of the Body Snatchers meets The Simpsons.

No matter - I'm bound and determined to get this thing done! There's no stopping me if I just make enough of an effort ...

Amazingly I actually have more progress to share than I've related here, but need to find the time to get the photos from my camera to here.

Usually my problem is I have plenty of photos to post, but no progress to post about. This is all so confusing ...

EDIT: Found one more photo already uploaded: here is a shot of the framing going in to close off the small office area from the main room. There will be a french door going in there. In theory. Assuming we ever get that far.

post #907 of 1792 Old 03-09-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Keep trying...I can tell you are almost there.

- Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #908 of 1792 Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hanes,

Hey; are you going to use that vintage bookcase for a false wall for a hidden room entry?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #909 of 1792 Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

Keep trying...I can tell you are almost there.

Oooohhhhhmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Hey; are you going to use that vintage bookcase for a false wall for a hidden room entry?

Amazingly, no. That's kind of the role it used to play - acting as a wall of sorts so the office area had some separation, although it wasn't a fully hidden room by any stretch of the imagination. Just a bookcase that spanned most, but not all, of that opening. Here's a photo that sort of shows this, taken back as this project was just starting, back in the Stone Age. You entered the office area between the bookcase and that file cabinet against the wall.

That big ol' honkin' bookcase is now history. It's amazing what people will take off your hands if you just list it for free on Craigslist!

P.S. It almost hurts to look at that old photo. I definitely prefer the room empty as it is now! It must be that Zen thing that's overtaking me.

post #910 of 1792 Old 03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you sure? The photo above has a certain "lived-in" charm to it

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #911 of 1792 Old 03-09-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you sure? The photo above has a certain "lived-in" charm to it

+1

Kind of brings that sentimental tear to your eye don't it?

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #912 of 1792 Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I think you should rip out the paneling and give it to me. Only half of my basement has the real stuff and the fake wood paneling is much worse.

Some of my best memories (still making them, really) are of cabins in Northern MN that have no surface untouched by knotty pine paneling. So I still see it through the rose-colored glasses of vacations/man caves.
post #913 of 1792 Old 03-11-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Noah,

I agree the real wood paneling is better than the fake stuff, and I love it up North in a cabin, but I don't love it enough to choose to make it fit into a room that is being almost entirely rebuilt and drywalled anyway.

All of the exterior walls had to be demo'ed and the cost/hassle to try and save the old wood and reuse it - or replace it - would be silly, especially when I don't really want that look anymore regardless. That leaves me with drywall as a given on all exterior walls, ceiling, and new interior walls. I could have the fireplace wall remain as is, and a small stretch of the wall opposite, but at that point I figure it would look like one of my (many) mis-matched wardrobe malfunctions. So it's history.

If by chance you're serious about wanting some of the old paneling I have some of what was torn off sitting in my dumpster right now, but the dumpster will be picked up in a couple days. There is certainly some salvageable pieces so if you feel like dumpster diving, be my guest - just shoot me a PM for details.

More progress shots coming soon: balls up in the air, and bouncing all over the place from being dropped, so I'm behind in uploading photos ...

post #914 of 1792 Old 03-12-2010, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Once upon a time, long long ago, I asked for opinions on opening up the basement stairway. It finally happened. Here are a few shots of how they used to look. You may recall the tape was to help me estimate how much I might be able to open up. Of course, it turned out to be way off, but so what else is new?

Then the fun began!

First order of business, of course, is to let the kid I used to have poke a couple test holes in the wall to make sure the coast is clear.

Looks safe!

And with the magic of time lapse photography, the walls disappear ...

Wondering how I could have possibly done that? I don't blame you. One of my gypsy-in-law helpers returned long enough to lend a hand.

So as you can see we obviously ended up opening it up for railings instead of just a half wall as the tape indicated, and we couldn't go back up the stairs quite as far as originally planned because there was a support column on one side. As a result I opened it up back to the column (you can just see the edge of the column on the left side of the stairs in the photo below), and matched it on the other side for symmetry.

It's amazing how opening up that portion of the stairs transforms that space - it just feels so much more open. I'm really glad I went ahead with it.

In the photo above you get a good idea of the layout - the laundry room is through the doorway on the right, and the HT is the dark room through the doorway on the left.

post #915 of 1792 Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

It's amazing how opening up that portion of the stairs transforms that space - it just feels so much more open. I'm really glad I went ahead with it.

I agree - it makes a big difference. I did the same thing (still have to move some electrical) and it really does impact one's perception of the universe.

- Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #916 of 1792 Old 03-13-2010, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, switching gears to the back third of the basement, on the opposite side of the main room than the laundry & HT, is an area that includes the new bathroom, utility & storage area, and a new small guest bedroom. First a couple of shots before the recent push began.

If you walk from the main room through the doorway directly opposite the stairway area, you pass the new bathroom on the left, and if you turn towards the right a bit you'd see this mess: furnace & work bench, with a glimpse of part of the future guest room in the back area (where the old PC is in this shot).

If you take a few more steps forward and turn to your right, you look past the furnace & the plumbing stack back towards the future guest bedroom in the back/walkout part of the basement. There will be storage along the wall to the left, and a small hallway to the guest bedroom.

Yes, you're right - between the low headroom from the ductwork, and the plumbing stack and he furnace, it will be a tight fit. Thanks for noticing.

Here's what you'd see if you walk towards the back some more.

And if you walked to that window in the shot above and turned to the right you'd be looking through the back hallway (with the back door on the left) back into the main room, with the office visible in the background.

So that's the quick overview of the back third of the basement, before we started kickin' it again!

Now for some progress shots!

First order of business is to demo that flimsy sheetrock wall in the back hallway. Here's a shot of it from the opposite angle, looking back into the guest bedroom from the main room.

And the walls coming down ...

With those walls out you get a view of the back door too. Turn again to your right, looking back now towards the bathroom (with the small white door), for a last view of the space before the framing begins!

Voila!

And a view from the bathroom wall looking down the new hallway back to the bedroom.

Stay tuned ...

post #917 of 1792 Old 03-13-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Looking good hanes. It must be fun demo'ing all those walls. I agree, the removal of part of the stair well certainly opened up the space.

post #918 of 1792 Old 03-13-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent progress my friend. Good decision on the stairs. It seems to make a huge difference in the openness of the space. I am always amazed at how much a mess a little drywall makes in the demo process.

Keep it up though and we will seriously have to reconsider the slacker title though.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #919 of 1792 Old 03-14-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Hanes,

Good decision on the stairwell mods.

I gotta hand it to you; all of this progress had me double-checking to make sure I was reading your thread.

This is going to be a nice space. Do you have a floor plan sketch - your tour left me confused...but then again I confuse easy.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #920 of 1792 Old 03-15-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have a floor plan sketch - your tour left me confused...but then again I confuse easy.

Wassammata u!! - you already forgot the floorplan I just got done posting 31 pages ago?! Shhesh! Why I oughta ...

OK, here's a refresher for those who don't memorize each and every post in each and every thread for the past year!

Of course, these are a bit off now, as we've changed several things - most notably the HT is now in the "hang out space" room instead of the main rec room, and the wall and doorway into the HT room is reconfigured, etc. but this should get you reacquainted and reoriented with what's what now in my world!

C'mon now Craig - put on your helmet and get back in the game!!

post #921 of 1792 Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hanes,

Thanks for re-posting. Now I can tour your space without getting lost!
So the HT will be the room in the upper right hand corner of the sketch?

As for getting back in the game:
Helmet won't fit >> Head got bigger when i finished my build...

:-)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #922 of 1792 Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 AM

I see the pics (which must be photoshop'd or something) because there is no way that that much work got done since the gypsies left.
post #923 of 1792 Old 03-15-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hanes, isn't it a few weeks early for an April Fool's joke?

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #924 of 1792 Old 03-15-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the HT will be the room in the upper right hand corner of the sketch?

Zzzzzzactly - upper right hand corner of the 3D sketchup, lower left hand corner of the 2D floorplan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodcat View Post

I see the pics (which must be photoshop'd or something) because there is no way that that much work got done since the gypsies left.

Oh right ... as if I would ever photoshop anything!

post #925 of 1792 Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Glad you asked for the layout again cuz because I was getting dizzy myself trying to figure out which room was which .

post #926 of 1792 Old 03-17-2010, 07:06 PM

Gotta love the progress, I like how everything is opening up with the walls coming down! Amazing how much of a difference a couple feet of drywall make.

Chris
post #927 of 1792 Old 03-18-2010, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

I saw a Flowbee in one of those pics. Thats awesome. Didn't think anyone actually bought those.
post #928 of 1792 Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advertguy2 View Post

I saw a Flowbee in one of those pics. Thats awesome. Didn't think anyone actually bought those.

Have you seen Hanes' hair? If you had the answer would have been obvious.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #929 of 1792 Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah - what RTROSE said - if you have seen my hair ... please let me know!

P.S. A personal message from Mr. Comb-over himself:

post #930 of 1792 Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey - Hey,

I resent these hair comments, as I have thrown my "Flowbee" away and replaced it with some J-Wax and a microfiber buffing cloth.....

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page