post #91 of 1792 Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Never too late for a party, Queen! Even for 5' 3" munchkins!

That makes me feel a bit better about it, although I think I'll have to come up with some way to test and measure the effect while my kids go nuts upstairs. Other than actually hanging a PJ (which I'm led to believe will stop all progress dead in it's tracks!) and seeing the impact on a screen, though, I haven't come up with a way top do that just yet.

Now, what can I get you to drink?

I would like to chime in as well on this. I too decided to forgo the DD,GG and any sort of clips etc as my room is not a dedicated theater. I originally was planning in mounting the pj from the ceiling but have since decided to go with a shelf mounted to the wall at the back of the room. I decided this method for the exact reason you are concerned with. I have a drop ceiling so I would have to mount it to the floor joists above and I am worried about this so I plan (when I get to that point) to make some sort of shelf at the back. Thought this might be a possibility for you as well?! Others can also chime in on this method

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1792 Old 04-01-2009, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Appreciate your weighing in again, Iusteve. I figured you'd show up as soon as I started offering drinks!!

My problem with the shelf mount approach is that the wall opposite the planned screen wall is actually a bunch of windows, and running between the two is some ductwork which even further limits my shelf mount options. That's why I think I'm pretty much stuck with the ceiling mount approach. But time will tell. Lots of work left before I am close to that decision.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #93 of 1792 Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 AM
HT1

Liked: 10
Quote:

Never too late for a party, Queen! Even for 5' 3" munchkins!

That makes me feel a bit better about it, although I think I'll have to come up with some way to test and measure the effect while my kids go nuts upstairs. Other than actually hanging a PJ (which I'm led to believe will stop all progress dead in it's tracks!) and seeing the impact on a screen, though, I haven't come up with a way top do that just yet.

Now, what can I get you to drink?

One other thing that will also kill your progress dead in it's tracks is the kegerator. The projector was a slow down but the kegerator was a killer.
Make mine a CC and Coke

I like this place!!!
HT1
Check Out Bar / Theater 1.0
post #94 of 1792 Old 04-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

I guess it's safe to drink here, isn't it? I didn't hear any mention of mold remediation for the kitchen though (just kidding please no biological attacks).

Great work documenting the process, this is a very enjoyable read (for me, probably not so much for you). I don't think I would even be thinking of a theater after all that... By the way is that TV Black and White or did you pony up for a color set?

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #95 of 1792 Old 04-02-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT1 View Post

The projector was a slow down but the kegerator was a killer.

Spoken with the conviction of one who knows from first hand experience of whence he speaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT1 View Post

Make mine a CC and Coke

I'll pour the first one but after that I'll leave you to pour your own!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #96 of 1792 Old 04-02-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

I guess it's safe to drink here, isn't it?

If it isn't, there's a bunch of us here already in trouble!!

Quote:

I didn't hear any mention of mold remediation for the kitchen though (just kidding please no biological attacks). Great work documenting the process, this is a very enjoyable read (for me, probably not so much for you). I don't think I would even be thinking of a theater after all that...

Thanks. The tough part was coming to grips with what needed to be done. Once I got through that it was straight ahead. What else can you do? I'm finding putting it into a thread surprisingly therapeutic. I guess I hadn't fully appreciated all we had been through and how far we have come until I saw it all condensed in a few pages. Now I understand why I have that nasty nervous tic and the drinking problem!!

Quote:

By the way is that TV Black and White or did you pony up for a color set?

Unlike most here, I am an earlier adopter so we splurged and went with full technicolor! I am so cool I sometimes can't stand to be in the same room with myself.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #97 of 1792 Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My wife snuck a photo of me (which I swear I was not posing for!) which she says perfectly captures the essence of me simultaneously juggling all the balls that are up in the air right now in these various areas of the house!

You think she meant the trying to drink from a firehouse part, or just the drinking part, generally?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #98 of 1792 Old 04-03-2009, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Disclosure & Fair Warning: this post has nothing to do with HT or mold, and is more than a bit nostalgic and sentimental, so feel free to skip ahead to the next post where the build story and sarcasm will resume in earnest. With credit (and apologies) to Bill Bryson.

While all this destruction and mold remediation and rebuilding and furnace replacing was going on - and serving as a wonderful distraction I might add - life happened, so to speak, as it so often does.

It was a simple thing that brought this home to me. One of my kids - the youngest - was reveling in the unseasonably tropical (i.e. above freezing) temperatures and, feeling a bit giddy, asked pleadingly, with her best puppy eyes, if I would "please, please, pretty please Daddy" go for a walk around the block with her. I almost said no, when it occurred to me: my baby would never again be exactly "13 and a quarter," and before long she will not even want to be seen in public with me anymore, so I better seize the moment while I could. I've already let so many of them slip by.

To be honest what really brought this realization home to me was something that had been weighing on my mind ever since our son abruptly announced that he was bored with college and had enlisted. Having him go away to college was one thing, but this was something else entirely.

Before we knew it he was gone. First to boot camp, then to Marine field training, and finally, inevitably, to the Middle East and the war zone.

Meanwhile, his mother and I are left to feel his absence and to plumb the depths of the full meaning of the word 'worry,' especially in the dead of night or when a car we don't recognize drives into our driveway.

I hadn't really expected it to be like this, to be honest, because for a few years before he left he wasn't really here, if you know what I mean, and even on the rare occasions that he was physically living here he still wasn't really here in any meaningful sense, so much as he seemed to just sort of appear every now and again to empty out the frig, remind me how old and clueless I was, and ask if he could use the car.

Now that he is gone I can't tell you how much I miss having him complain that we never have anything good to eat ("all we have are ingredients - where's the food?!") or taunt me with some of his favorite Monty Python lines ("Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of ELDERBERRIES!!") And I see now I had it all wrong, and that even when he wasn't here, he really was here. If you know what I mean. And now he's not here at all.

On the rare occasions when we get to speak with him now that he is "in the sandbox" he still manages to defy understanding, like when we told him that we were renovating the entire basement, including his room, so that it would be much nicer (and less moldy). Instead of being excited, as I thought he would be, he was upset. I guess I didn't fully appreciated how unsettling it is to have your life turned upside down, with nothing familiar and stable anywhere except for his memory of home, so the thought of his room also being turned upside down as well didn't thrill him. I know he'll love it when - please, God - he actually comes home, but in the meantime it doesn't help a father's nerves to think he has unintentionally added more baggage to a son's already heavy load.

I was contemplating this - again - just the other day as I was moving some of his stuff from one part of the basement to another and I happened upon his old baby blanket and it started me thinking about all the forgotten yesterdays it represents. The really tough part, I suppose, is accepting not just that he is not here, or even that is is 'over there', but that the boy he was is gone forever.

I would give anything to have him them both back, safe and sound. But life doesn't work that way. Kids grow up, and move away and as much as we might want to, we can't always protect them or watch over them. And it all happens much quicker than you might think. "I don't remember growing older. When did they?"

I know this has nothing whatsoever to do with home theaters or construction, but it has a lot to do with home and loved ones and, after all, you can't really have a home theater without a home, and a house is never more a home than when we share it with those we love.

Enough rambling. My apologies, but I did warn you, after all. Please remember to say a prayer for all the brave young men and women serving our country, especially those in harm's way. They deserve that much from us anyway, and more. So very much more.

And those of you with young kids still at home ... hold them close and share your time with them while you can, even when they drive you to the edge of your sanity, or beyond. They grow up so quickly and are gone, sometimes to very distant and dangerous places. And there are no do-overs.

Home Theaters will wait for us. Our important little projects will wait. Our kids won't. They grow up in the blink of an eye and are gone out of our lives and into their own.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go for a walk around the block with a very special young lady.
john171 likes this.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #99 of 1792 Old 04-03-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Not to be a softy but that my friend was a well written down to earth oh so damn truthful look into your life and many others and you hit a home run (if you will). My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and hope that your son comes home safe and sound. I too feel VERY much the way you do and you are 100% correct in saying that projects and theaters will wait as the precious few moments we have with our kids are FAR more ...well "precious." I have a soon to be 13 year old and cherrish EVERY moment with him that I can as he is already to that point of not wanting to be seen in public near me. Enjoy your walk and know we will all be sitting here waiting for your return and your updates even if you decide on another "walk"

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #100 of 1792 Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 PM

hanesian - Thanks for the dose of reality and a fathers perpective (I have a 12yr, 10yr & 18/mo old) I read this and pondered it while I was helping the wife get dinner ready and couldn't stop thinking that I wanted to log back in and reply. Please tell your son many of us Thank him for what he is sacrificing by protecting our country. He was included in my family prayer at dinner tonight and started a wonderful conversation about your post. God bless & thank you for sharing.

The Copper Pub /Corey Lane Cinema

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #101 of 1792 Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Disclosure & Fair Warning: this post has nothing to do with HT or mold, and is more than a bit nostalgic and sentimental, so feel free to skip ahead to the next post where the build story and sarcasm will resume in earnest. With credit (and apologies) to Bill Bryson.

Hanesian,

Sorry; but I skipped over all of your recent posts and chose to read this one. Glad I did because: I have two boys still at home (ages 24 and 14).

My 24 year old sleeps at home (most nights), and my 14 year old is the reason my basement project is slow.

As a Son of the American legion and from a family of military volunteers - I can say well done! Every day I pray for those who volunteer, and once a week I choose to hang with my son(s) rahter than work in the basement.

Thanks for Sharing & God Bless!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #102 of 1792 Old 04-03-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

hanesian, never did I expect an AVS post to get me all choked up. It really is such an important concept that bears repeating. They're only young once and all they want is our attention. With responsibilities and chores it's easy to forget what's most important. I have to say, I never imagined in a million years how gratifying becoming a mother (6yr old and 3yr old) would be. I truly think of it as one of life's greatest blessings. God bless you and your whole family. May God also watch over your son during his tour. I really enjoyed your OT post.
post #103 of 1792 Old 04-04-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my little fatherly detour there. I appreciate it.

I'm back from my walk now, refreshed and feeling my old wise-ass self, so as soon as I finish my tea party with my daughters and their dolls and upload some more photos I'll get back to updating this pathetic project!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #104 of 1792 Old 04-04-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

December 2008

So during the course of the week following the initial insulating and framing in the basement I managed to finish the thrilling job of getting the rest of the polystyrene insulation up and taped. I'd show you some photos they look almost identical to what I've already posted, so what's the point?

So after finishing the remaining insulation, Chris was able to sneak away from his own chores at home one Saturday to spend a few more hours framing with me. Unfortunately we didn't get completely finished as we planned because his compressor chose that day to die. I was worried that something about my build killed it, but Chris insisted that it was on it's last leg and was done in by all the below zero weather that plagues us in these parts. I'm hoping it wasn't compressor-suicide brought on by the enormity of the task before it.

Still, we managed to almost finish the framing. Just one short stretch to go. Here are some photos.

This is in my son's bedroom area.

Notice the groovy Christmas light decorations, courtesy of my daughter, who felt that no construction project is complete without some adornment.

The basement back door. I wish the frost on the window panes was painted on for effect, but it's very real.

And Chris taking an unauthorized and inexcusable break to take a call from his wife to try and explain to her why he was still at my house working on a weekend when he had a large unfinished honey-do list waiting for him at his very own home.

Excuse me?! Duh?! Can you spell "free beer?!?!"

Wives - they just don't get it sometimes, do they?!

(Note to self: remember to dock one beer from Chris' exorbitant pay for talking on the phone during work hours.)

There are more photos, but this gives you an idea that we made some progress, such as it is.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #105 of 1792 Old 04-05-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great work documenting the process, this is a very enjoyable read (for me, probably not so much for you). I don't think I would even be thinking of a theater after all that...

I thought I'd circle back again to explain the decision to build a HT after all we've been through with the rest of the house. It would be too hard to repeat every thought that went into that decision, especially since my memory was a bit faded after recovering from that hangover, but I guess the easiest way to explain it, really, is to say that I'm sick.

Aside from the obvious, I basically had to rebuild most of the basement anyway, including the old rec room that is to become the HT / family room, so really all I decided to do was jump on that tiger's back and hold on for all I'm worth, while slapping in some extra cabling and buying some A/V equipment. The rest of it - the insulation and drywall and related - was going to have to be done regardless. I'm just adding some frosting to the cake and making it a multi-purpose room.

The hardest part was deciding to go ahead and replace all the expensive, cutting edge A/V equipment that I just bought not more than 15 years ago or so. Knowing me, I'm probably really going to miss that stuff.

But not to worry. I'm sure to hit it on the second or third swing.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #106 of 1792 Old 04-05-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wives - they just don't get it sometimes, do they?!

Ohhhhh, we do, more than you know !
post #107 of 1792 Old 04-05-2009, 03:52 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

While all this destruction and mold remediation and rebuilding and furnace replacing was going on - and serving as a wonderful distraction I might add - life happened, so to speak, as it so often does.

It was a simple thing that brought this home to me. One of my kids - the youngest - was reveling in the unseasonably tropical (i.e. above freezing) temperatures and, feeling a bit giddy, asked pleadingly, with her best puppy eyes, if I would "please, please, pretty please Daddy" go for a walk around the block with her. I almost said no, when it occurred to me: my baby would never again be exactly "13 and a quarter," and before long she will not even want to be seen in public with me anymore, so I better seize the moment while I could. I've already let so many of them slip by.

To be honest what really brought this realization home to me was something that had been weighing on my mind ever since our son abruptly announced that he was bored with college and had enlisted. Having him go away to college was one thing, but this was something else entirely.

Before we knew it he was gone. First to boot camp, then to Marine field training, and finally, inevitably, to the Middle East and the war zone.

Meanwhile, his mother and I are left to feel his absence and to plumb the depths of the full meaning of the word 'worry,' especially in the dead of night or when a car we don't recognize drives into our driveway.

I hadn't really expected it to be like this, to be honest, because for a few years before he left he wasn't really here, if you know what I mean, and even on the rare occasions that he was physically living here he still wasn't really here in any meaningful sense, so much as he seemed to just sort of appear every now and again to empty out the frig, remind me how old and clueless I was, and ask if he could use the car.

Now that he is gone I can't tell you how much I miss having him complain that we never have anything good to eat ("all we have are ingredients - where's the food?!") or taunt me with some of his favorite Monty Python lines ("Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of ELDERBERRIES!!") And I see now I had it all wrong, and that even when he wasn't here, he really was here. If you know what I mean. And now he's not here at all.

On the rare occasions when we get to speak with him now that he is "in the sandbox" he still manages to defy understanding, like when we told him that we were renovating the entire basement, including his room, so that it would be much nicer (and less moldy). Instead of being excited, as I thought he would be, he was upset. I guess I didn't fully appreciated how unsettling it is to have your life turned upside down, with nothing familiar and stable anywhere except for his memory of home, so the thought of his room also being turned upside down as well didn't thrill him. I know he'll love it when - please, God - he actually comes home, but in the meantime it doesn't help a father's nerves to think he has unintentionally added more baggage to a son's already heavy load.

I was contemplating this - again - just the other day as I was moving some of his stuff from one part of the basement to another and I happened upon his old baby blanket and it started me thinking about all the forgotten yesterdays it represents. The really tough part, I suppose, is accepting not just that he is not here, or even that is is 'over there', but that the boy he was is gone forever.

I would give anything to have him them both back, safe and sound. But life doesn't work that way. Kids grow up, and move away and as much as we might want to, we can't always protect them or watch over them. And it all happens much quicker than you might think. "I don't remember growing older. When did they?"

I know this has nothing whatsoever to do with home theaters or construction, but it has a lot to do with home and loved ones and, after all, you can't really have a home theater without a home, and a house is never more a home than when we share it with those we love.

Enough rambling. My apologies, but I did warn you, after all. Please remember to say a prayer for all the brave young men and women serving our country, especially those in harm's way. They deserve that much from us anyway, and more. So very much more.

And those of you with young kids still at home ... hold them close and share your time with them while you can, even when they drive you to the edge of your sanity, or beyond. They grow up so quickly and are gone, sometimes to very distant and dangerous places. And there are no do-overs.

Home Theaters will wait for us. Our important little projects will wait. Our kids won't. They grow up in the blink of an eye and are gone out of our lives and into their own.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go for a walk around the block with a very special young lady.

Hanes,
Very well said and a great reminder to all of us. Life is very short and as the sun sets in our lives we will not look back and wish we put more hours in at work or went with the nicer projector(okay maybe we will), but we will look back and remember our family, friendships and the moments in life where we connected with another human being in a special way. Because I believe were not put her to just complete projects, build cool homes, buy cool stuff, etc. I believe we were put on this tiny blue spinning sphere to connect and share our lives with each other. With our children, friends and family. To open our homes, break bread. To laugh together and cry together. To let each other know that we are not alone in this crazy thing called life. For me it is easy to get caught up with troubles at work, projects at home, picking up after the kids so we can have a "clean house". Your post reminded me that I have four little souls that need my attention and time.

In our home, we spell love => T I M E.

Thanks again for you post, it's time for me to snuggle up to some little ones.

Take care and keep the therapy coming my little cyber friend.

Your large, wooly interweb pal!
post #108 of 1792 Old 04-05-2009, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Ohhhhh, we do, more than you know !

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. You're on to us with the whole free beer for man cave work thing.

Now we're going to have to come up with a whole new ploy ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #109 of 1792 Old 04-05-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcafishing View Post

Hanes,
Very well said and a great reminder to all of us. Life is very short and as the sun sets in our lives we will not look back and wish we put more hours in at work or went with the nicer projector(okay maybe we will), but we will look back and remember our family, friendships and the moments in life where we connected with another human being in a special way. Because I believe were not put her to just complete projects, build cool homes, buy cool stuff, etc. I believe we were put on this tiny blue spinning sphere to connect and share our lives with each other. With our children, friends and family. To open our homes, break bread. To laugh together and cry together. To let each other know that we are not alone in this crazy thing called life. For me it is easy to get caught up with troubles at work, projects at home, picking up after the kids so we can have a "clean house". Your post reminded me that I have four little souls that need my attention and time.

In our home, we spell love => T I M E.

Thanks again for you post, it's time for me to snuggle up to some little ones.

Take care and keep the therapy coming my little cyber friend.

Your large, wooly interweb pal!

Thanks for your comments, big fella. I could tell you "got it" when I saw the photos in your build thread where you got your kids involved in the demo work. Even though that inevitably slows things down compared to just doing it ourselves, it's usually worth it in the end. They'll certainly remember it more than if they just show up in a finished HT.

BTW, I am very impressed with your powers of deduction - you somehow dissected my obtuse user name (don't ask, it's not that interesting a story) and extracted from it my nickname (Hanes). You're pretty quick for such a big, hairy lug!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #110 of 1792 Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your comments, big fella. I could tell you "got it" when I saw the photos in your build thread where you got your kids involved in the demo work. Even though that inevitably slows things down compared to just doing it ourselves, it's usually worth it in the end. They'll certainly remember it more than if they just show up in a finished HT.

BTW, I am very impressed with your powers of deduction - you somehow dissected my obtuse user name (don't ask, it's not that interesting a story) and extracted from it my nickname (Hanes). You're pretty quick for such a big, hairy lug!

Hanes,
With all the responses it appears to be a common theme with this virtual AVS community.

Nothing better than some quality time with family far from the concrete, glass and steel of our day to day lives.

Time slows, distractions are eliminated and we are able to really see and hear each other. In the together silence there is a peace and a knowing we are loved and not alone. For me those silent moments are just as grand as the ones filled with sharing, laughter and tears.

Peace!
post #111 of 1792 Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What a beautiful family. You're one lucky sasquatch, bwca. But I think you guys are going to need to add a second canoe pretty soon!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #112 of 1792 Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

January 2009

Have to say the period from Thanksgiving through New Years was pretty busy family-wise so not much progress in the build. And the sun was in my eyes. Etc.

As the new year dawned, I eventually ran out of excuses and eased my way back into things, as one can never be too careful about such things after a certain age! The priority remained finishing the main floor bathroom and getting it back online before we killed each other. Fortunately (for all of us) completion of this goal was not dependent on me.

Here are a few shots showing some progress.

This shows the half wall that will separate the tub from the shower. We decided to have the top half enclosed in glass, so the smaller room feels a bit larger.

Shower floor

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #113 of 1792 Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 AM

nice work
post #114 of 1792 Old 04-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

I've been thinking of your son being deployed. I was a soldier for 10 years, and deployed to the first Gulf War amongst other places. So I can understand his feelings of having his room destroyed and rebuilt while he's away. My point is get him involved somehow, paint color, Marine Corps theme(I'm sure a local recruiter could help provide some material to decorate with, if not maybe a local Marine Reserve unit?) maybe his favorite sports team. The other thing which for me would have really meant a great deal is keep a picture wall for him. Meaning take lot's of pictures of family events and then stick them on his wall, and write a message to him letting him know about the event and how you wished he was there. This way when he comes home he'll be able to share those memories as well. You could even let his brothers/sisters decorate his wall with grafetti (meaning draw pictures and leave messages for him) directly on the wall.

The one thing that I did do for myself was keep a map of the world. Everytime I deployed I'd add the place I deployed too and how long I was there.

Thanks for letting me ramble, but I've been thinking of your post for several days now, and wanted to pass on some of my thoughts on how you can make his room his home.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #115 of 1792 Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mike,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions for keeping my son feeling part of the family. I really appreciate it. I especially like the picture wall idea - we've been doing a digital version of that by posting photos and stuff online for him, which I think he likes. We also are using a variation of the map idea - tracing a line on a world map we keep on a wall with dates showing where he is/was, especially since he took a ship to the Middle East, and is to return the same way, so it makes for a fun map of progress.

BTW, I am blown away by your incredible build. What an awesome space! I'm looking forward to when you post a picture of the huge yule log fire playing on the screen! I'm subscribed so I don't miss that!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #116 of 1792 Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Did you ever do the Tuscarora portage? In my youth, four college buddies and I took a week and spent what I fondly remember as one of best camping adventures. One cold rainy day we took that portage and after the grueling haul named ourselves the Tuscarora Five. Probably was 1972.

Looks like you had plenty of porters for all your gear.
post #117 of 1792 Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Great post on the family Hanesian. Just last night, my daughter wanted to come to the basement to read to me (she in in kindergarten learning to read) So we sat on the stairs and my son sat in my lap and she read to us. Was a good time, and actually calmed my son the monster down.

Don't let BWCF get on you too much, or I will slap him down in COD online for you.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #118 of 1792 Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Chia,
Nice to see you are still alive. How's your build coming? Any thumb injuries as of late? I remember you sharing your gas leak story as well and having a good laugh. I have a saying, "God protecteth the stupideth". That sure has been the case my life!

You playing much COD anymore? I miss playing with you guys. It appears you and TWW boys moved on to killzone 2. With my projects going on at home, I am pretty much done playing a lot of COD. I found WAW lacking and actually the last couple nights went back to COD4 and had a blast. We should connect again at some point. Can't wait to get my HT done and see if it improves my lack than stellar COD abilities. It has to help playing on a 106 inch screen.
post #119 of 1792 Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Great post hanesian,

My thoughts and prayers go out to your son and all troops. I recently mentioned in someone's elses thread that family is what it's all about and I rather give everything up I wasn't able to share with them. My son is 16 and my daughter 13, were doing the college thing with my son right now and the Mrs. and I are coming to grips that he'll be leaving our home next year. Certainly reminds us of making the most of the time that we have right now.

It's great that your doing the online picture posting for your son. I was gonna suggest something like that. Even having him check out the build thread and having give some of his input would be really cool.

That's some of the best off topic posting I have ever come across. Thanks for sharing.
post #120 of 1792 Old 04-08-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcafishing View Post

Chia,
Nice to see you are still alive. How's your build coming? Any thumb injuries as of late? I remember you sharing your gas leak story as well and having a good laugh. I have a saying, "God protecteth the stupideth". That sure has been the case my life!

You playing much COD anymore? I miss playing with you guys. It appears you and TWW boys moved on to killzone 2. With my projects going on at home, I am pretty much done playing a lot of COD. I found WAW lacking and actually the last couple nights went back to COD4 and had a blast. We should connect again at some point. Can't wait to get my HT done and see if it improves my lack than stellar COD abilities. It has to help playing on a 106 inch screen.

For injuries, I rolled my ankle 10 days ago, and it is still stiff. On electrical now, moving slowly. As for the gas leak, whenever I empty the compressor and head upstairs, my son hears the hiss and asks is the house gonna blow up? And whenever my wife hears me heading up the stairs she cringes thinking its because I am injured. 2 injuries and a near explosion is all, its not like I'm Tim the toolman Taylor.

Yes, I have been on KZ2, but just about done with it (got top rank online, and just finishing SP on Elite), I am wanting to go back for a little COD4. BMC plays on a large screen and he sees things I don't even see a pixle of.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page