post #1771 of 1792 Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkship View Post

Oh great Master Debater and Fornicator of Matriarchs, I believe if you get in your Way Back machine and revisit post # 12 of this very thread, you would see that poor Doug is only quoting your very own carefully and laboriously crafted prose.

When people start quoting - or recognizing - random snippets from posts I made years ago, I have to wonder if some one other than just myself might need to look into adjusting their medication levels! It was painful enough to live through once, I am NOT going to intentionally revisit my HT past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

That may be, but it still doesn't explain why.

Amen!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1792 Old 07-27-2013, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I get an "Amen!' from the choir? Or should I say Peanut Gallery?

Keep up the good work! We're all counting on you!

Dan
the Dan Cave build
post #1773 of 1792 Old 09-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Disclosure & Fair Warning: this post has nothing to do with HT or mold, and is more than a bit nostalgic and sentimental, so feel free to skip ahead to the next post where the build story and sarcasm will resume in earnest. With credit (and apologies) to Bill Bryson.

While all this destruction and mold remediation and rebuilding and furnace replacing was going on - and serving as a wonderful distraction I might add - life happened, so to speak, as it so often does.

It was a simple thing that brought this home to me. One of my kids - the youngest - was reveling in the unseasonably tropical (i.e. above freezing) temperatures and, feeling a bit giddy, asked pleadingly, with her best puppy eyes, if I would "please, please, pretty please Daddy" go for a walk around the block with her. I almost said no, when it occurred to me: my baby would never again be exactly "13 and a quarter," and before long she will not even want to be seen in public with me anymore, so I better seize the moment while I could. I've already let so many of them slip by.

To be honest what really brought this realization home to me was something that had been weighing on my mind ever since our son abruptly announced that he was bored with college and had enlisted. Having him go away to college was one thing, but this was something else entirely.

Before we knew it he was gone. First to boot camp, then to Marine field training, and finally, inevitably, to the Middle East and the war zone.

Meanwhile, his mother and I are left to feel his absence and to plumb the depths of the full meaning of the word 'worry,' especially in the dead of night or when a car we don't recognize drives into our driveway.

I hadn't really expected it to be like this, to be honest, because for a few years before he left he wasn't really here, if you know what I mean, and even on the rare occasions that he was physically living here he still wasn't really here in any meaningful sense, so much as he seemed to just sort of appear every now and again to empty out the frig, remind me how old and clueless I was, and ask if he could use the car.

Now that he is gone I can't tell you how much I miss having him complain that we never have anything good to eat ("all we have are ingredients - where's the food?!") or taunt me with some of his favorite Monty Python lines ("Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of ELDERBERRIES!!") And I see now I had it all wrong, and that even when he wasn't here, he really was here. If you know what I mean. And now he's not here at all.

On the rare occasions when we get to speak with him now that he is "in the sandbox" he still manages to defy understanding, like when we told him that we were renovating the entire basement, including his room, so that it would be much nicer (and less moldy). Instead of being excited, as I thought he would be, he was upset. I guess I didn't fully appreciated how unsettling it is to have your life turned upside down, with nothing familiar and stable anywhere except for his memory of home, so the thought of his room also being turned upside down as well didn't thrill him. I know he'll love it when - please, God - he actually comes home, but in the meantime it doesn't help a father's nerves to think he has unintentionally added more baggage to a son's already heavy load.

I was contemplating this - again - just the other day as I was moving some of his stuff from one part of the basement to another and I happened upon his old baby blanket and it started me thinking about all the forgotten yesterdays it represents. The really tough part, I suppose, is accepting not just that he is not here, or even that is is 'over there', but that the boy he was is gone forever.

I would give anything to have him them both back, safe and sound. But life doesn't work that way. Kids grow up, and move away and as much as we might want to, we can't always protect them or watch over them. And it all happens much quicker than you might think. "I don't remember growing older. When did they?"

I know this has nothing whatsoever to do with home theaters or construction, but it has a lot to do with home and loved ones and, after all, you can't really have a home theater without a home, and a house is never more a home than when we share it with those we love.

Enough rambling. My apologies, but I did warn you, after all. Please remember to say a prayer for all the brave young men and women serving our country, especially those in harm's way. They deserve that much from us anyway, and more. So very much more.

And those of you with young kids still at home ... hold them close and share your time with them while you can, even when they drive you to the edge of your sanity, or beyond. They grow up so quickly and are gone, sometimes to very distant and dangerous places. And there are no do-overs.

Home Theaters will wait for us. Our important little projects will wait. Our kids won't. They grow up in the blink of an eye and are gone out of our lives and into their own.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go for a walk around the block with a very special young lady.

As a Noobe to this forum and HT building, I have wandered into your blog, life essay, ramblings and have been laughing, and amazed at your ability to forge ahead and maintain some semblance of sanity, whatever that is.

And then I came to this post, and read, as I have so far after ignoring your warning(s), and am so glad I did and have, and will continue to. I will not rush ahead to the end, to see your un-completed HT, or to glimpse other words of wisdom and/or sarcasm.

After reading your heartfelt sharing I hope your walk with your daughter lasted a lifetime, and that she never has been ashamed to be seem with you, and that your son returned to your lives and home safe and sound.

A toast to the young men and women serving to keep us safe.

Salud! Scull! Prosit!

And Mr. Bryson shall not require an apology, but will modestly accept the credit. wink.gif

John
BllDo likes this.
post #1774 of 1792 Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, that's a blast from the past kinda post! I had pretty much forgotten about that post, although I sure remember that time of life. Being of a parent of a kid on deployment can be hard.

Well, I won't spoil the "excitement" << cough, cough!! >> for you by telling you how this build adventure turns out, but four and a half years since that post and at least all the kids are alive and well. The lad returned safely from his deployment, and after some more schooling and exerting tremendous effort to avoid helping me with the basement project, he is doing well, with a good job and - most recently - found a girl foolish enough to accept his proposal. He'll be married next year, assuming the poor girl doesn't come to her senses before then.

My youngest daughter - the one I mentioned in that post - is now 17 going on 30, and a senior in high school. Amazingly, she will still go on walks with me, at least when none of her friends are around. The other kid is in college, and will only go on walks with me if I offer an attractive incentive. Amazing what kids will do for car & technology privileges! She is right at that age where she cannot stand to listen to anything the Auld Fella has to say, so I think I'll put this sign up in her room.

Oh, and a word of warning: any more time spent reading this thread is definitely time you'll never get back. Consider yourself warned!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #1775 of 1792 Old 09-19-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Wow, that's a blast from the past kinda post! I had pretty much forgotten about that post, although I sure remember that time of life. Being of a parent of a kid on deployment can be hard.

Well, I won't spoil the "excitement" << cough, cough!! >> for you by telling you how this build adventure turns out, but four and a half years since that post and at least all the kids are alive and well. The lad returned safely from his deployment, and after some more schooling and exerting tremendous effort to avoid helping me with the basement project, he is doing well, with a good job and - most recently - found a girl foolish enough to accept his proposal. He'll be married next year, assuming the poor girl doesn't come to her senses before then.

My youngest daughter - the one I mentioned in that post - is now 17 going on 30, and a senior in high school. Amazingly, she will still go on walks with me, at least when none of her friends are around. The other kid is in college, and will only go on walks with me if I offer an attractive incentive. Amazing what kids will do for car & technology privileges! She is right at that age where she cannot stand to listen to anything the Auld Fella has to say, so I think I'll put this sign up in her room.

Oh, and a word of warning: any more time spent reading this thread is definitely time you'll never get back. Consider yourself warned!

As a wise man once said:

AD: "It's times like this that I wish I had listened to what my mother said!"

FP: "What did she say?"

AD: "I don't know, I didn't listen!"

So in that vein I will ignore your warnings once again, and continue to read you running commentary, even though your attempt to give away the end result did just the opposite, it's the pictures, the conversations you have with your fellow HTers, and probably yourself, surely you do, I do since I'm usually the only one who really understands me, or even listens... rolleyes.gif

Glad to hear your family was safely reunited, to many have not and it is a heavy burden and loss they bear.

Good luck with any future projects, and hopefully you'll have the where-with-all to share them with us.
post #1776 of 1792 Old 09-21-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hey! John actually got the Auld Fella to come back! Nicely done. Too bad Hanes is a "drive by" poster in his own thread even.

Glad to see you still round these here parts Hanes!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1777 of 1792 Old 09-24-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey RT!

I'm still working on the whole 'drive by' thing.

I think I may need more practice! tongue.gif

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #1778 of 1792 Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 AM

Liked: 11
Oh! So close. Perhaps try drinking? Just find someone to hold your beer..

This is the word of O'Shea.....Thanks be to Beer.

CLICK HERE FOR BAR BUILD AND OTHER ASSORTED SHENANIGANS
post #1779 of 1792 Old 09-25-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Gotta Love it when two old posters, drive by to mix it up!!
Great images !

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #1780 of 1792 Old 10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Someone say "Old Posters"????...............................................................

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #1781 of 1792 Old 05-11-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hanes - Only one word. Exceptional! I just discovered your thread recently and haven't even read through the whole thing. I've been in stitches laughing so hard. How did you manage to find all the funny photos to go along with the moments thoughts? Anyway, for the obvious reasons you stated early on about starting a thread I've had the same reservations. Just not enough time at the end of the day to chronicle my progress - or lack of. smile.gif I still may start one, but I keep saying that. eek.gif Your basement turned out beautiful my man. Good things come to those who wait and put in a lot of blood sweat and tears. wink.gif - Rick

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #1782 of 1792 Old 05-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Well...well...well. Posters from the past!!!
post #1783 of 1792 Old 05-11-2014, 02:58 PM

Come on guys, that's why they sell those hard hats with2 holders for your favorite beer, "Hands free is the only way to drink!" biggrin.gif
post #1784 of 1792 Old 05-12-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

I would like to chime in as well on this. I too decided to forgo the DD,GG and any sort of clips etc as my room is not a dedicated theater. I originally was planning in mounting the pj from the ceiling but have since decided to go with a shelf mounted to the wall at the back of the room. I decided this method for the exact reason you are concerned with. I have a drop ceiling so I would have to mount it to the floor joists above and I am worried about this so I plan (when I get to that point) to make some sort of shelf at the back. Thought this might be a possibility for you as well?! Others can also chime in on this method
Iusteve - I know this is a very old post of yours, but came across it while reading Hanes' thread. Are you still happy with not going GG and clips and all? I too am finishing a multi-purpose office/media room and have already decided on a drop ceiling and french doors - hence no hat channel, clips or DD on top. I am going for sound deadening and am using Safe-n-Sound between the floor joists and DD on the side walls, but undecided on the GG. Since I'm not going for 'total' sound isolation/proofing, I hope I don't regret my decision. Be interested to hear how you like it and how it has served you now for a few years. smile.gif - Rick

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #1785 of 1792 Old 05-14-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

When people start quoting - or recognizing - random snippets from posts I made years ago, I have to wonder if some one other than just myself might need to look into adjusting their medication levels! It was painful enough to live through once, I am NOT going to intentionally revisit my HT past!
Amen!

Holy sh*t Hanes! You're thread is taking me Back to the Future...

That post about your son's decision to enlist...I've been living it. For the past 12 months my 16 year old thought it would be best to just enlist after high school and work the officer ladder. Now he's decided to go to college first (traditional, not a service academy). We have multiple military losses in our family and can only imagine those restless nights you went through. Please thank your son for his service on my behalf.

And...what's up? tongue.gif

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #1786 of 1792 Old 06-20-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a quick drive-by on my new rig to see what the commotion is around here and hi to the Zen Master and the rest of you old farts who keep returning to the scene of the crime!

Nothing new on the HT building front in our new house. Just a basic TV room set up here. Keeping busy with life and all: kids marrying and graduating, and college-ating, and just generally growing up and what not, so I guess that means that I must be growing older too. Some things are inevitable I guess.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Last edited by hanesian; 06-20-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Spelling is totally overrated. Or over rated. Whatever.
post #1787 of 1792 Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post
Just a quick drive-by on my new rig to see what the commotion is around here and hi to the Zen Master and the rest of you old farts who keep returning to the scene of the crime!

Nothing new on the HT building front in our new house. Just a basic TV room set up here. Keeping busy with life and all: kids marrying and graduating, and college-ating, and just generally growing up and what not, so I guess that means that I must be growing older too. Some things are inevitable I guess.

Hanes,

Not sure how I found you on this newfangled CF'd website? However; good to see you are here and getting older with the same graceful sense of humor! As for getting older, I prefer my wife's motto:

"I'm not getting older - I can be immature FOREVER !! "

From your "Hawkeye-Crossborder/Illinois acquaintance,
Cuzed2

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #1788 of 1792 Old 06-28-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah,

I don't know why they seem to change the forum format every other week (seemingly) but they do. As I get older I hate change more and more and look to familiar things to calm and comfort me. I guess I am becoming one of those old codgers that will someday start yelling at the kids to get off my grass. While my body gets older and my hair gets grayer I find my mind and spirit is as youthful as ever.

When I was young "I never over did it."

In my 30's "I wonder if I over did it'"

Now in my 40's "I know I over did it."

Good to see two of my favorite AVS buddies still lurking around this place.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #1789 of 1792 Old 06-29-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey RT! Good to hear from you.

This is me reading your last post, smugly recognizing the familiar travails of growing old ... until I hit the part where it stops with you only in your 40's!

Kids these days!!

Now GTF off my lawn!!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #1790 of 1792 Old 06-29-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha.....It's funny how age tends to shape how you view your life and surroundings. When I was 20 I thought that 50 was ancient, now at 44, 50 ain't looking so bad and neither is 60. Hell they are only numbers anyway and since God saw it good enough to let me wake up today I guess I'll make the best of it today regardless of what the calendar says. Now speaking of making the best of it, where is that blasted remote.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1791 of 1792 Old 07-01-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Geezers!

Show of hands....this might hard for some of you:

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #1792 of 1792 Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page