post #181 of 1792 Old 04-28-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcafishing View Post

Hanes - Isn't this your laptop roller bag?

I was wondering where I had left that - I've been looking everywhere for it!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1792 Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
At least BW's not bringing up the theme song for "Hanes her way". Trains are manly, he could be posting the bikini briefs for you...

My son's name is John Thomas (named after my grandfather), and we call him J.T. when you used to ask him his full name he would respond: "J.T. the Thomas the Train"

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #183 of 1792 Old 04-28-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

My son's name is John Thomas (named after my grandfather), and we call him J.T. when you used to ask him his full name he would respond: "J.T. the Thomas the Train"

If your son is "J.T. the Thomas the Train" (and who could doubt it?!), then I definitely learned something new today: apparently in the States Thomas is known as Thomas the Train, not Thomas the Tank Engine. Who knew?!

You see when our son (the same one just returned from the service) was a toddler growing up we lived in England, which is also the native land of Thomas. By the time we moved back to the States and our daughters were growing up, they had no interest in Thomas, regardless of the rest of his name. So I never realized until just now that American kids know him as Thomas the Train. Doubtless you'll all want to share this fascinating tidbit of information with your loved ones at dinner tonight ... and who could blame you?!

See what I mean about learning more here by accident than elsewhere by design?!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #184 of 1792 Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
speaking of accidents... Hows the theater coming?

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #185 of 1792 Old 04-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiahead View Post

ouch!

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #186 of 1792 Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Theater? I have a theater?!?! Who knew?!

Oh, yeah - of course! Isn't that the fun project that I'm going to get to do once I finish doing the stuff I have to do first?!

Yeah, it's going along right on schedule. All systems go. 10-4. Good to go. Etc.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #187 of 1792 Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subscribed. Love it, it's always nice to be forced into spending money on the house.
post #188 of 1792 Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee View Post

Subscribed. Love it, it's always nice to be forced into spending money on the house.

Nice to see someone forced into spending money on a house?!?! Nice?!?!

You are one sick puppy!

You ought to feel right at home around here. What're you drinking?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #189 of 1792 Old 04-29-2009, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, a challenge for you geniuses!

I need to add a phone extension or two while I'm wiring the basement, and instead of the usual phone interface box I seem to have what can only generously be described as an incredible rats nest of wires connected to two separate antique looking do-hickies (to use the technical term) in my basement ceiling joists.

So where to start with this mess? Anybody seen this type of set up or have any suggestions?

The gray wires are the original phone extension cables, and the white ones were newer extensions added by the previous owner about (I would guess) 15 years ago.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #190 of 1792 Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 AM

I have no idea about the phone lines, good luck with that...

Now Thomas the Tank Engine, I do know about! I'm in the process of selling a room full of trains and track. The proceeds have actually helped pay for some of my equipment!
(SVS PB12-NSD arrives day after tomorrow!) woot!!

I just finished reading the entire thread, it freaked me out when I saw the leak coming from the new shower. I had a similar experience (2 actually). Right after we bought our previous house, the upstairs shower had a leak. The previous owner was supposed to have fixed it before we closed the sale... much to our dismay, that didn't happen. Of course, we didn't know it at the time. We had seen where they ripped the wall apart, replaced some copper, reinstalled shower head, re-sheetrocked etc... About a month after we moved in, we could see that it had leaked down on to the ceiling of the main floor. After days of trying to figure out where the leak was coming from, which consisted of me ripping sheetrock out, running the tub and shower for extended periods of time while I shine a flashlight up the wall to spot leaks... I finally figured out the problem. I had to actually take a shower while my neighbor shined a flashlight up the wall from the hole in the ceiling down below. Turned out that the elusive "leak" was a lack of caulk around the tub hot/cold knobs. The water was bouncing off the users body, running down the inside of the shower wall, and seeping past the fixtures into the wall!

Can you beat it?!? I was so pissed, I had to laugh.

I'll try to make this a relevant post by offering my praise and congrats to you for solving the water issues in your house. There's nothing worse than a leak, unless of course you have an undiscovered leak.
post #191 of 1792 Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

OK, a challenge for you geniuses!

I need to add a phone extension or two while I'm wiring the basement, and instead of the usual phone interface box I seem to have what can only generously be described as an incredible rats nest of wires connected to two separate antique looking do-hickies (to use the technical term) in my basement ceiling joists.

So where to start with this mess? Anybody seen this type of set up or have any suggestions?

The gray wires are the original phone extension cables, and the white ones were newer extensions added by the previous owner about (I would guess) 15 years ago.

I MAY be able to figure it out... do you have a higher res version of that image?

I spent a couple of years running LV wiring as part of my job usually when we would run into something like this we would abandon it and re-run everything....

Do you have 2 lines coming into the house? First glance I would say on the the right "antique looking do-hickie" where the blue/blue-white pair of the newer wiring is connected is one supply line... Try wiring a test connection there and see if you have tone...

Joe V
Time > Money

The Valley Theater & Game Room
post #192 of 1792 Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyv View Post

I MAY be able to figure it out... do you have a higher res version of that image?

I spent a couple of years running LV wiring as part of my job usually when we would run into something like this we would abandon it and re-run everything....

Do you have 2 lines coming into the house? First glance I would say on the the right "antique looking do-hickie" where the blue/blue-white pair of the newer wiring is connected is one supply line... Try wiring a test connection there and see if you have tone...

I'll try to snap a better photo tonight when I get home. The previous owner did have two lines at one time, although we've only had one. In fact, it was one of his "line 2" extensions that I was trying to use one line 1, but couldn't get it to work, that started all this.

I'll follow up with more tonight.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #193 of 1792 Old 04-29-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I had a similar setup in my circa 1927 house with the original cloth covered telephone wire. It appears that what you have are two old Western Electric lightning arrestors (definitely the one on the right, probably the one on the left). What I did is replace that whole mess with a single modern arrestor like this one (I purchased a Model Circa 1357-2G SKU: 330-165) and then fed the wire to a structured wiring telephone hub, I used this one. After putting all that in place adding a new line is easy, just plug the new phone wire into an available port. There are about a gazillion manufacturers of structured telephone wiring systems each with dozens of options to easily do what ever you want to do.

Human perception is not a direct consequence of reality, but rather an act of imagination. - Michael Faraday
post #194 of 1792 Old 04-29-2009, 08:03 PM

use cat5e or cat3 (preferebly cat5e if u have some) and connect the blue and blue/white wiring to the same spots of corresponding colours on the old doo hicky.

Then just route the wire where you need it. at the wall plate you'll likely have a RJ11 (phone jack) plug with red/grn/yel/blk.

match that end to the "old do-hicky" end (red to blue and green to blue/white) and you should be good to go.
post #195 of 1792 Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I appreciate the help from you guys. This is why this forum is so great!

OK, I'll try some of the suggested test wiring and see what I get. And if I'm feeling really courageous as I get further along maybe I'll try to replace these old do-hickies with new ones as mdputnam suggests. I mean "lightning arrestors." Naw, do-hickie is a much better name, if you ask me!

As long as I already took and uploaded a couple more shots showing more detail I might as well include them just in case it helps with any other advice. First is the do-hickey on the right, which I think is the main one:

And then the do-hickey on the left:

Thanks again gang, and hopefully after the weekend I can report back with some success!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #196 of 1792 Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, looking at that second photo I wonder if I may have answered my own not quite fully expressed question. Right now there is a line 2 extension I want to use as a line 1 extension, but with this mess of wires I was having a hard time figuring out how to do it, or even what I was looking at! Now I wonder, doesn't it look in this photo like the orange wires only are connected here for one extension, so if I swap them out for the blues I might get line 1 on the current line 2 extension? Or am I off base? Again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #197 of 1792 Old 04-30-2009, 07:20 AM

Liked: 15
I think I am following... The previous owner had two service lines (two phone numbers) but you are only using one. You would like to switch one (or more) phone jacks in your house that are currently wired to use the second line so they use the first. Correct?

What you need to do is figure out which of the do-hickies is wired to provide the line service you are using, the other should be dead.

Your phone only needs 1 pair of the 4 pairs of wire in each cable. In one case the previous owner used 2 of the 4 pair to wire both extensions.

One pair goes to each do-hickie this tells me you have two jacks somewhere in your house probably right next to each other one of which doesn't work.

All you need to do to get your dead jack working is to move a pair of wires from one do-hickie to the other.

Probably from the small one to the large one but that is a guess. A little trial and error should get you going.

Joe V
Time > Money

The Valley Theater & Game Room
post #198 of 1792 Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyv View Post

I think I am following... The previous owner had two service lines (two phone numbers) but you are only using one. You would like to switch one (or more) phone jacks in your house that are currently wired to use the second line so they use the first. Correct? Correct!! That's what I almost said and would have done if I had said it that way!

What you need to do is figure out which of the do-hickies is wired to provide the line service you are using, the other should be dead.

Your phone only needs 1 pair of the 4 pairs of wire in each cable. In one case the previous owner used 2 of the 4 pair to wire both extensions.

One pair goes to each do-hickie this tells me you have two jacks somewhere in your house probably right next to each other one of which doesn't work.

All you need to do to get your dead jack working is to move a pair of wires from one do-hickie to the other. Aha - the old do-hickie transplant trick! Of course!

Probably from the small one to the large one but that is a guess. A little trial and error should get you going. In my case probably a little more error than trial, but I'm used to that!

Thanks - I'll give it a go!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #199 of 1792 Old 04-30-2009, 01:50 PM

you cannot simply just swap this out for new "doo-hickies" as this one is special.

the two slotted bolts at top are actually surge protection for your phone lines.

the simpliest thing to do is call your telecom company and tell them you have intermittent static during phone calls. they should replace the demarc with something new.
post #200 of 1792 Old 04-30-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, I think I found the culprit. One of those do-hickies was connected to a line that led to this:

I don't think Gotham's Police Commissioner would appreciate it if I messed with that extension.

In other words, I still haven't had the time to do anything on this yet - this weekend for sure!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #201 of 1792 Old 05-01-2009, 07:21 AM
HT1

You only have 30 seconds left cut the blue wire.....no, no, no cut the blue wire with the white stripes, no wait, maybe it's the red wire!!!

I like this place!!!
HT1
Check Out Bar / Theater 1.0
post #202 of 1792 Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT1 View Post

You only have 30 seconds left cut the blue wire.....no, no, no cut the blue wire with the white stripes, no wait, maybe it's the red wire!!!

Oops.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #203 of 1792 Old 05-02-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You guys are da bomb - I have a working phone extension now! I am INVINCIBLE!! (he uttered quietly and humbly to himself)

Almost ten years I've wished that extension would work. One post here and within a couple days my wish is granted. Reminds me of (one of the many) great quotes from the old movie Grumpier Old Men:"Well, you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which gets filled first!"

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #204 of 1792 Old 05-02-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You gotta love this forum ! Glad you got it working Hanes.
post #205 of 1792 Old 05-04-2009, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

You gotta love this forum ! Glad you got it working Hanes.

Thanks, Queen. Wish I had had similar luck with crimping RJ45s on the ends of a Cat 6 patch cable yesterday but I'm sure I'll figure out what I did wrong today.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #206 of 1792 Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

April 2009

As I've often said - or at least thought to myself - speed and efficiency is often overrated. Here's more proof of that.

I've been struggling with my own private Waterloo - that one part of a project that you dread either because it's so hard or, as in my case, so outside your comfort zone and experience that you just aren't sure how to tackle it. You know what I'm talking about - maybe it's the stairs, or that damned ductwork or pipe in the ceiling or the wiring ... whatever. It's always something. And sometimes it's something else.

For me, it's been framing in the laundry room wall that is just filled with water pipes and the main, a big dryer vent, gas line, ceiling pipes, and other obnoxious obstructions whose sole purpose in life seems to be to frustrate and taunt me. I made it about halfway across the wall before stopping to contemplate it, and subsequently pretty much abandoned it for easier/safer waters elsewhere in the basement. I've been trying to figure out how to handle that bloody wall for ages until my Genius Builder Brother - who knows everything about building but who, unfortunately for me, lives halfway around the world (Hawaii) - finally suggested I just move the entire wall out from the wall about 10 inches to hide everything without soffits and just leave a couple access panels. Which of course makes perfect sense, which is probably why it never occurred to me before.

Anyway, if I knew what I was doing I would have finished that wall long ago (or never even started this project at all, but that's another story entirely). A little experience/knowledge/skill and I would have cruised right through that part. Which would have been a mistake.

In yet another demonstration of plumbing gone crazy, a big honking pipe had an aneurysm, to use another technical plumbing term, and began to slowly bleed out. Yep, you read that right - another leaky pipe in the hanesian household!

Which means, for those able to follow my twisted logic, it was a good thing I went so slow, as I was able to catch and repair this problem easily, whereas most of you speedy/efficient/diligent/hard-working/knowledgeable types would have framed and drywalled that stretch and eventually been stuck with a big project on your hands!

Ergo, slowah mo' bettah, as they say in the Islands. I rest my case, your honor.

The guilty party can be seen in the photo below: he's the shady looking yellow fella whose head is turned away from the camera because he is trying to act all nonchalant and innocent. As if!! The poor sucker has no idea yet that his hours are numbered because we had already called out the plumber/executioner:

And here he is in a better mug shot, with a close up of the guilty part, which is covered by the handyman's favorite weapon, duct tape:

Here's the executioner in the process of carrying out the sentence (cover your ears if you can't stand the sound of pathetic lead pipes screaming for mercy).

And the corpse, post execution.

That was one heavy waste stack, I can tell you. They don't make them like they used to, and in this case it's a good thing.

Finally, shot of the new plumbing stack.

So next time you rib me about being slow as a tortoise, I'll remind you of this irrefutable proof that - sometimes - being slow, stupid and lazy really can pay off!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #207 of 1792 Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I know the feeling my friend as I too ahve slowed down to a turtles pace but it can often be a good thing. My achilles heel (if you will) was the laminate flloring. having never attempted such a task I was putting it off forever out of fear of messing it up. But once I dove in it was actually one of the simplest parts of my progress thus far. But most of the time being slow also has some rewards. I have fallen asleep on progress here with all the outside work that I have to do. I built a massive deck last summer and have to finish it now so the theaters future has sloooooowed

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #208 of 1792 Old 05-04-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

I know the feeling my friend as I too ahve slowed down to a turtles pace but it can often be a good thing. My achilles heel (if you will) was the laminate flloring. having never attempted such a task I was putting it off forever out of fear of messing it up. But once I dove in it was actually one of the simplest parts of my progress thus far. But most of the time being slow also has some rewards. I have fallen asleep on progress here with all the outside work that I have to do. I built a massive deck last summer and have to finish it now so the theaters future has sloooooowed

Well, if you have to work on your deck, maybe you need to pull you PJ up and make an outdoor theater! I bet your wife would like one like this:

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #209 of 1792 Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Nice! The only thing missing is the starfield ceiling.
post #210 of 1792 Old 05-04-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Hanes,

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/r...S/DSC_0177.jpg

That sink Plumbing is an attention getter
Please tell me you are not going to hide that sink plumbing behind a wall

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here