Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Hanes,

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/r...S/DSC_0177.jpg

That sink Plumbing is an attention getter
Please tell me you are not going to hide that sink plumbing behind a wall

There you go talking ill of the dead again! The execution post and photos are just above, if you missed them.

If it wasn't for bad plumbing, I'd have no plumbing at all ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1792 Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hanes,

Loved the executioner photos of that lead pipe.
Having grown up in an ancient house: I couldn't help but to comment on that exclusive one-of-a-kind sink hookup.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #213 of 1792 Old 05-04-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did you ever figure out the whole deal with those phone lines?
post #214 of 1792 Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

Did you ever figure out the whole deal with those phone lines?

Sure did! With the benefit of the input and advice I got from folks here I had enough of a clue as to what I was dealing with to trace the extension in question back to the rats nest and figure out that it only had the blues connected. Once I connected the oranges to the other arrestor (first time I ever used that word in a sentence! ) I was good to go!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #215 of 1792 Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Proof that the phone line issue has been solved:

Now I just have to figure out how to install the Cone of Silence next to my PJ!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #216 of 1792 Old 05-06-2009, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Someone asked in a PM for more details about the industrial strength dehumidifier I mentioned in an earlier post, so I thought I'd just answer here.

Because of our well documented moisture/mold issues we had previously killed a couple of big dehumidifiers we bought from Sears from running them so much in the summer, but this unit we bought from the contractor who did the drain tile system in our basement, and it is HUGE. Not sure you can tell from this photo, but this sucker is about 3' high and about 2' square, heavy, and solid as a rock. That level on top of it is 2' long for perspective.

It isn't silent, but it is powerful. I just hope it also lasts a lot longer than other ones we bought at retail.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #217 of 1792 Old 05-06-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

how much noise does that puppy generate when it is cranking. I kow my normal small unit make plenty as it is for such a small unit.
post #218 of 1792 Old 05-06-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It makes about as much noise as the other smaller dehumidifier units we've had in the past, which isn't bad considering how much more power this has. Still, it's loud enough that I would turn it off when we want to watch a movie, and just turn it back on afterwards (it isn't located in the main room anyway). And in the winter we don't need to run it at all, although my wife seems to have a hard time remembering that, so as a result I have several times found it running at the same time our built-in furnace humidifier is also running.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #219 of 1792 Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Hanes,

Nice lead - thanks for sharing!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #220 of 1792 Old 05-07-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Warning: following is a pathetic attempt to rationalize a lack of progress in the HT by shamelessly blaming my wife.

Do NOT attempt this at home - I am a professional!!

Priorities are funny things. I look at my very large list of existing and potential projects that need doing around the house, and I prioritize using guy logic. In other words, the right way - what makes sense? Then I go ahead and just do what I want to do, with extra credit awarded to anything that involves technology and/or power tools, or that can be done while sipping a beer.

My dear bride, on the other hand, apparently lives in a parallel universe where things like bathrooms and closets and bedroom furniture and bedding mysteriously and unaccountably take precedence over obviously more important stuff like the basements and technology and power tools and home theaters.

Crazy, I know, and we mere guys can never really hope to actually understand life in this parallel universe, even if we wanted to. And let's face it, who wants to?! Still, as a veteran husband of some considerable years I've learned (usually through trial and error, with an emphasis on error) that sometimes you just have to humor her and dispense with her pet projects so that you can get back to the fun - I mean important - projects as soon as possible.

Which is a very long way of explaining how I found myself recently redoing our bedroom closets instead of working on the HT. The befuddling thing, though, was that at the outset this had nothing whatever to do with closets - it was about a bed.

Yeah, I know I'm going to have to 'splain that one, because even after living through it personally I'm still not sure I even understand it. But I'll try, for the sake of the team.

Hand me a beer, will ya?

Where do I begin? OK, remember the whole mold allergy thing that triggered this entire bloody project? Well that same concern over mold led to a number of other preventative measures, one of which involved getting rid of what can only be described as the most comfortable bed in the entire universe - my beloved water bed, because part of it also showed signs of mold.

Man, that hurt! I loved that bed, but it was either the bed or the bride that had to go, and ... well, it turns out beds are much easier to sell on Craigslist than wives. Who knew?

So we found ourselves in need of a new bed. Remember the good old days when buying a bed pretty much involved choosing what size mattress you wanted? Well, now of course you have to decide between an ever-expanding universe of mattress types: traditional spring mattresses, water beds, airbeds, memory foam beds, latex beds, etc. etc. etc! After much ado, we eventually settled on a nice traditional mattress. Mission accomplished, right? HA!

Wrong. Then the next domino fell, and even my small, pitiful brain grasped that there were more dominoes quietly lining themselves up, because then we had to buy decide on a bed frame, since we got rid of the entire water bed, lock stock and moldy barrel. The missus liked the idea of a platform style bed simply because we could have drawers for storage underneath, since the reach-in closets in these old houses are very small. As in tiny. Problem was the bed platforms with any amount of built in storage were expensive and, frankly, not very attractive IMHO. I lived through the 60's, ba-bay, and it was NOT pretty!

Well, to spare you the ugly details, since I know you wise guys probably saw this coming long before I did, the upshot was we got a regular (not too expensive) bed frame, only because in desperation I agreed to add "storage systems" to our closets to compensate for the storage space we didn't get when we didn't get a platform bed with storage built in to replace the most comfortable bed in the universe that I didn't want to get rid of in the first place!

Are you still with me?

I know, there's no way to win these things, so now after a weekend dedicated to beds and frames and a second one dedicated to closets - and neglecting my basement - we have new "closet systems" in both our closets, a new bed frame and mattress, and a still unfinished basement and HT!

"Oh! somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville — mighty hanesian has “Struck Out.”

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #221 of 1792 Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sometimes when you're in the middle of the battle - or a build project - it can seem like you're making no progress at all, yet when you take a moment to step back and take a broader perspective you suddenly realize you've really accomplished much more than you had thought. At least that's the theory.

So I thought I'd try that. Here's the pile of basic building materials last fall, at the beginning of the construction phase:

Here's the same pile now:

Crap. That's pathetic!!

So much for that theory!

My next priority obviously needs to be doing whatever it takes to learn how to use Photoshop so I can alter the after photo so that it at least appears like I am making progress!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #222 of 1792 Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 AM

I may be in the minority here, but I'd love to have an organized closet. We do have a nice sytem of shelves and rods, but it's still a mess.

So,

Let's see a pic of the closet!
post #223 of 1792 Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee View Post

I may be in the minority here,

I'd say you're a minority of one!

Quote:

but I'd love to have an organized closet. We do have a nice sytem of shelves and rods, but it's still a mess.

Whose closet isn't a mess? I just said I installed a closet system - I never said our closets were organized!! You're projecting, my friend!

Quote:

So, Let's see a pic of the closet!

Even if I wanted to it would be pretty worthless to try and get photos that show anything because the closets have sliding doors which means the widest view I could get is still half closed, if that makes any sense, since in this old house they are just reach in closets, not walk ins.

If you're really curious here's a stock photo from the ClosetMaid website of the type of sytem I installed. It's nothing fancy by any means, but it was a very reasonable cost for something that just needs to be functional and is behind closed doors most of the time anyway. Our closets are a bit narrower and covered by two sliding doors. And they're much more crowded and less organized, and more colorful. What kind of family has only white clothes, and so little crap in their closets?!? Nudists?!?

Plus, truth to tell, I still harbor barely contained but misdirected resentment towards the closet system. I think subconsciously I blame it for me having to get rid of my bed! Did I mention often enough that it was the most comfortable bed ever created on the face of the Earth?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #224 of 1792 Old 05-09-2009, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Giddy with success from my recent phone wiring project, and inspired by the Get Smart Cone of Silence, I decided to turn my genius to solving the annoying problem of being subjected to other people's loud cell phone conversations in public. Witness the power of this fully operational Death Star Cell Phone Booth!

I accept all major credit cards or PayPal.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #225 of 1792 Old 05-11-2009, 06:19 AM

1 pair of shoes in that closet, dead give-away that the photo is bogus. Nudist or not, no woman would only have 1 pair of shoes.
post #226 of 1792 Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Contemplating whether to go with soffits in the HT or not, but I'm concerned that my ceiling is too low to mess with them. I'd appreciate feedback/opinions.

What is the lowest head clearance from floor to bottom of a soffit that you would suggest?

Now the details.

I have been planning a small soffit in order to hide some ductwork and to balance the room, but am concerned my ceiling may be too low to accommodate that. To cover the ducts I'd need to go down about 10" from the joists. The ceiling height is 7' 5". So even just a 10" soffit and drywall I figure I would only have final clearance of about 6' 6'' or so. I suppose it's do-able, but that seems pretty low to me, maybe too low to bother with.

I've searched a bit but am having a hard time finding specific information on the height issue. What do you guys think?

How low can you go?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #227 of 1792 Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 PM

I think that 6'6" would work for 90% of the people in the world. (I am 6'7" so I would definately crack my head on them).
Where are the soffits in relation to the room? Around the outside? How wide would the soffits be? What other options do you have? If you don't build the soffits, you will.... ?
post #228 of 1792 Old 05-11-2009, 12:27 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Here's the same pile now:

That's a pretty good way to make sure that you don't have any boards that will warp when you put up your walls!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #229 of 1792 Old 05-11-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennektj View Post

I think that 6'6" would work for 90% of the people in the world. (I am 6'7" so I would definately crack my head on them).
Where are the soffits in relation to the room? Around the outside? How wide would the soffits be? What other options do you have? If you don't build the soffits, you will.... ?

The possible soffits would be approximately 10-12" square, around the perimeter of the main part of the room. You can get an idea from the below photos of the ductwork I am working with. I would use the minimum soffit height needed to enclose that duct, and then make the depth into the room (off the walls) a similar size:

This first shot shows the main duct that runs across the room about 3/4rds of the way back from the screen wall. I plan on building a soffit for that no matter what, with the PJ being mounted just in front of that, aiming back towards the camera to the screen wall.

As you turn to the right a bit, I have a bit more ductwork, which I would like to put in a soffit to hide it better as well.

Turning right a bit more you see the duct work only runs part way along the wall. I am thinking I would just continue the soffit all the way along that wall, above the entrance door all the way to the front screen wall.

The opposite wall - turning left - has no ductwork so needs no soffit, but I am thinking of putting one here as well to balance the room. As you see, this wall has the fireplace and also a door just to the left out of the picture, as it meets the screen wall.

I thought it would look nice to go with a soffit essentially around the main portion of the room (back to the huge duct that cuts across the room), with crown molding and rope lights about 6" down from the ceiling. So the low points would be against the walls. I'm mainly concerned about where they span the two doorways. 6' 6" or so for an entry way/door seems low to me, even though I'm only 6' tall, and the rest of the family is shorter.

Alternatively, I could just run the ducts up to the doorways and end them there, somehow. Not quite sure how. Anybody seen any photos of soffits ending in the middle of a wall?

Finally, I could just soffit the huge cross room duct and nothing else, in which case I could just go with crown molding with rope lights around the perimeter instead of soffits.

Hope that clarifies. So what do you think?

1. Too low for a soffit?
2. OK for a soffit - go for it?
3. Stop it about the soffit!! Who cares?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #230 of 1792 Old 05-12-2009, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

That's a pretty good way to make sure that you don't have any boards that will warp when you put up your walls!

CJ

I hear ya. Fortunately for me all of my boards are still still absolutely, perfectly straight as a ... well, a board.

Not that it matters much to me. If the results of a project are only as good as the weakest link, my boards (and other materials) are safe from blame. Kind of like my golf clubs.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #231 of 1792 Old 05-12-2009, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Hanes, I like the symmetrical look of the soffits going around the room (including on the left side where you don't need it and on the right side where your duct stops short). Since it's on the perimeter of the room I think you'll run into less trouble with headroom. Not that there haven't been other builds where they've only done two out of the three sides (sorry, don't recall them specifically), but I like the balanced look more.
post #232 of 1792 Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Contemplating whether to go with soffits in the HT or not, but I'm concerned that my ceiling is too low to mess with them. I'd appreciate feedback/opinions.

What is the lowest head clearance from floor to bottom of a soffit that you would suggest?

Now the details.

I have been planning a small soffit in order to hide some ductwork and to balance the room, but am concerned my ceiling may be too low to accommodate that. To cover the ducts I'd need to go down about 10" from the joists. The ceiling height is 7' 5". So even just a 10" soffit and drywall I figure I would only have final clearance of about 6' 6'' or so. I suppose it's do-able, but that seems pretty low to me, maybe too low to bother with.

I've searched a bit but am having a hard time finding specific information on the height issue. What do you guys think?

How low can you go?

Hanes,

I have one room in my basement remodel where I had to deal with major HVAC plenums going right thru the middle of the room. Short of a major HVAC plenum reroute - I had no choice but to use a suspended ceiling. So for this worst case room my entire ceiling height is at 6'8"

As for soffits in my HT room:
Fortunately the majority of the ceiling in this room is 7'8". However my soffits surrounding 3 sides are at 6'6".

I have found both rooms to be quite workable. I have photos in my thread, check my sig file.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #233 of 1792 Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 AM
HT1

Hanes,
I have a soffit that runs down 1 side of my room. The room ceiling height is 9' but because of HVAC and some plumbing I have the soffit on 1 side at 7' 6". I agree with what Queen says, having the soffit on more than 1 sides does give some balance. Mine being on 1 side doesn't bother to much but IF I was to do it again I would go ahead and wrap it all the way around. I say go for it. My thread has some photos, not sure they will help but they might.

I like this place!!!
HT1
Check Out Bar / Theater 1.0
post #234 of 1792 Old 05-12-2009, 12:05 PM

I too agree with Queen about the symetry. Below is our new-to-us home with the previous owner's lame attempt at a theatre room. Anyway, the soffits are there because of ductwork on the right (door) side and it was carried all the way around for symetry. That gives you an idea.

[temporary hijack] Nice to see some folks from MN on here. I just moved to the TC and I am looking to build a HT but I am clueless, so I may have some questions for you guys. PS: I just did the 'bed/mattress" thing last weekend, so I should be good for a couple of weeks. [/temporary hijack]
post #235 of 1792 Old 05-12-2009, 07:17 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPMM View Post

I too agree with Queen about the symetry. Below is our new-to-us home with the previous owner's lame attempt at a theatre room. Anyway, the soffits are there because of ductwork on the right (door) side and it was carried all the way around for symetry. That gives you an idea.

[temporary hijack] Nice to see some folks from MN on here. I just moved to the TC and I am looking to build a HT but I am clueless, so I may have some questions for you guys. PS: I just did the 'bed/mattress" thing last weekend, so I should be good for a couple of weeks. [/temporary hijack]

Welcome LP,
I live in Minnetonka right off of 394 and 494. We aren't that far from each other. I am pretty clueless as well and with Hanes the three of us would make the stooges look like neuro surgeons. However, we would have fun while breaking stuff! Let us know what you need help with and we will help find threads that have the info

Take care!
post #236 of 1792 Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

The possible soffits would be approximately 10-12" square, around the perimeter of the main part of the room. You can get an idea from the below photos of the ductwork I am working with. I would use the minimum soffit height needed to enclose that duct, and then make the depth into the room (off the walls) a similar size:

This first shot shows the main duct that runs across the room about 3/4rds of the way back from the screen wall. I plan on building a soffit for that no matter what, with the PJ being mounted just in front of that, aiming back towards the camera to the screen wall.

As you turn to the right a bit, I have a bit more ductwork, which I would like to put in a soffit to hide it better as well.

Turning right a bit more you see the duct work only runs part way along the wall. I am thinking I would just continue the soffit all the way along that wall, above the entrance door all the way to the front screen wall.

The opposite wall - turning left - has no ductwork so needs no soffit, but I am thinking of putting one here as well to balance the room. As you see, this wall has the fireplace and also a door just to the left out of the picture, as it meets the screen wall.

I thought it would look nice to go with a soffit essentially around the main portion of the room (back to the huge duct that cuts across the room), with crown molding and rope lights about 6" down from the ceiling. So the low points would be against the walls. I'm mainly concerned about where they span the two doorways. 6' 6" or so for an entry way/door seems low to me, even though I'm only 6' tall, and the rest of the family is shorter.

Alternatively, I could just run the ducts up to the doorways and end them there, somehow. Not quite sure how. Anybody seen any photos of soffits ending in the middle of a wall?

Finally, I could just soffit the huge cross room duct and nothing else, in which case I could just go with crown molding with rope lights around the perimeter instead of soffits.

Hope that clarifies. So what do you think?

1. Too low for a soffit?
2. OK for a soffit - go for it?
3. Stop it about the soffit!! Who cares?

Hanes,
Another vote for soffits all the way around. Or you could just remove the duct work. Heating and AC is overrated anyway. If you choose to keep, us tall folk have callused foreheads from banging them, so no biggie. Can't wait to see the wood pile shrink.
post #237 of 1792 Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I vote for soffits all around also. Having been in the same situation as you, I can say it was the right answer to a question I really sweated over.

Is there any chance that rear HVAC could be tucked up into the joist cavity? It'd be worth the effort and the cost wouldn't be much.
post #238 of 1792 Old 05-13-2009, 06:46 AM

this is really a tough call.
6'6" is a pretty low ceiling, and it most instance you want to limit the number of areas that are that low. On the other hand a balance soffit looks the best, as long as it isn't overly big.

What is the widest part of the soffit you would have to build. At one point it looks as if there are three ducts sitting next to each other, which would make a low and wide soffit. You need to balance your decision with that.

Anyway to make a carbboard template to get a feel for how closed in the matched soffits would make it? I went with matching soffits, but did a trey to avoid having a HUGE soffit all the way around.

1. I agree with soffits
2. I agree with matching soffits as long as they aren't HUGE and end up overpowering the room.

I know that is zero help... but hopefully gives you more to think about....
post #239 of 1792 Old 05-13-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the feedback on my soffit question. Well, except for bwca's suggestion to get rid of the hvac & heating all together! Maybe Sasquatches don't need heat in northern winters, but the rest of us sure do!!

Anyway, I think I'll stick with the plan of doing soffits all around, just keeping them as small as possible. I also like pennektj's idea of trying to fashion a cardboard template to eyeball it. Not sure if I have enough cardboard (or creativity) to pull that off, but I can try!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #240 of 1792 Old 05-14-2009, 06:47 AM

The other thing I was thinking about is start frmaing out the soffit where you KNOW you will have to have it... and then from there you can get an idea of the type of space it will take up and determing if you want to match it, or just do it where you need it.

If you take a look at my build thread, you can see an example of both. In the theater I did a matching trey all the way around. In the poker room, I did a standard box soffit all the way around and in my "office" I just built the soffit where it was needed. It might give you some more ideas.

Good luck and can't wait to see how you "solve" it!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page