The UN-Theater Build - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 1792 Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My soffts around the perimiter of my room (18" wide at the sides; 30" in front and back, and ~42" wide in center) are right at about 7' high, and these don't feel too low.

However, my PJ is mounted on the center soffit, and the clearance under it is about 6'5 or so... and while I can walk under it, it feels pretty close. I think much of it will depend on the flow of foot traffic in your room. If it's just around the perimiter, or over seating, I think it would be OK.

Oh, and I agree about matching them up throughout the room... the symmetry makes it feel like a design feature, rather than screaming "Ducts and pipes I couldn't move HERE.". My side soffits are for aesthetics (and to house can lights), and my center soffit is larger then necessry to cover my off-center I-beam, yet have the soffit centered in the room:

More pics HERE.

-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1792 Old 05-14-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennektj View Post

The other thing I was thinking about is start frmaing out the soffit where you KNOW you will have to have it... and then from there you can get an idea of the type of space it will take up and determing if you want to match it, or just do it where you need it.

If you take a look at my build thread, you can see an example of both. In the theater I did a matching trey all the way around. In the poker room, I did a standard box soffit all the way around and in my "office" I just built the soffit where it was needed. It might give you some more ideas.

Good luck and can't wait to see how you "solve" it!

Holy carp, Tim - that double trey/soffit you did looks amazing! I see how that step helps avoid one big, thick soffit. Very nice. But making all those soffit pieces like you did must have taken forever! And, most importantly, required skill! That skill part may well be above my pay grade!

I can only wish ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #243 of 1792 Old 05-14-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

My soffts around the perimiter of my room (18" wide at the sides; 30" in front and back, and ~42" wide in center) are right at about 7' high, and these don't feel too low.

However, my PJ is mounted on the center soffit, and the clearance under it is about 6'5 or so... and while I can walk under it, it feels pretty close. I think much of it will depend on the flow of foot traffic in your room. If it's just around the perimiter, or over seating, I think it would be OK.

Oh, and I agree about matching them up throughout the room... the symmetry makes it feel like a design feature, rather than screaming "Ducts and pipes I couldn't move HERE.". My side soffits are for aesthetics (and to house can lights), and my center soffit is larger then necessry to cover my off-center I-beam, yet have the soffit centered in the room:

Amazing work Steve, and what a result you got! Of course, I'm going to say you cheated - anyone whose wife can - and does - help out by operating power tools ... well, it's just not fair!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #244 of 1792 Old 05-14-2009, 05:10 PM

Liked: 10
The double trey was definately a bit of work, but not very hard. Just went through it like a factory... make each type of cut all at once with a stop block set-up and then screw it all together. I am very happy with the turn out, didn't think it would be as straight as it is. Still makes me smile.

One bit of advice, because I was faced with this thought too. Don't think something it too hard, or too time consuming. You will only have to build the soffit in your basement. Take your time and make sure you do exactly what you want. It will be worth it in the long run!!!

It is ashame you are in MN... Would love to see the basement in person and offer any help I can getting you to the next step. I will definately continue following your build!

post #245 of 1792 Old 05-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Come on Hanes Suck It Up!! That room is screaming for a barrel ceiling!!

Thanks,

Mike

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #246 of 1792 Old 05-15-2009, 06:10 AM

First off, I have really enjoyed reading your wit, I mean thread...

Very entertaining!

It looks like your main furnace lines running over the windows are running with the floor joists... Couldn't you push them up into the space between the rafters? Then back down on the wall where the door is... It might restrict the flow a tiny bit, but then you could go full height over to the windows which would look great, and only have the drop down by the wall... Or maybe... Whats behind the wall? Could you put them on the other side? Or is it just a regular wall and not load bearing? (most basement walls are not load bearing) you could put the duct work "inside" the wall...

If you are limited to leaving them where they are. (remember they make aluminum foil coated cardboard that is very easy to work with and is used to make your floor joists become the supply lines for hvac).

Put your studs sideways so that you lose the least amount of space.

and dynamat your metal ductwork and eliminate that annoying boom when it kicks on, or when someone walks over it.

Ceilings are a pain... I had tons of support beams, ductwork, plumbing drain lines from the kitchen upstairs. But, I did the best I could and framed around everything focusing on making the ceiling as high as I could. It ended up being 8'10" at the highest, and 7'7 at the lowest. But, those extra few inches really make a difference in feel.

more framing pics.

more framing pics... See how you can run water lines through this 32 frame... Oh, whoops, wrong kind of frame...

I used that foil coated board to rebuild the ductwork so that it didn't stick out so far into the room, and I ran the pipe inside the floor studs so that I could get away from having to run over my window for the line.

Its not balanced, but... now that it is done, I never even notice it.

My under $2,000 130" Home Theater

post #247 of 1792 Old 05-15-2009, 07:23 AM
HT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post

more framing pics... See how you can run water lines through this 32 frame... Oh, whoops, wrong kind of frame...

HIJACK!!! Interesting frame, but more interesting is the motor with the 3 carbs on the engine stand in the background. What is that?

I like this place!!!
HT1

post #248 of 1792 Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Amazing work Steve, and what a result you got! Of course, I'm going to say you cheated - anyone whose wife can - and does - help out by operating power tools ... well, it's just not fair!

Hehe... thanks. She definitely is a keeper.... she was into the basment/theater project 110%.

Of course, building her a dedicated dance studio/workout room as part of the project didn't hurt.

-Steve
post #249 of 1792 Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

Come on Hanes Suck It Up!! That room is screaming for a barrel ceiling!!

Thanks, Mike! Spoken with the confidence of someone who didn't have to construct their barrel ceiling themselves!!

I would be thrilled if I could manage a regular FLAT ceiling!!

Barrel ceiling!! HA! You're a barrel of laughs, is what you are, my friend!!

What I want to know is where is your promised virtual yule log fireplace video?!? We're still waiting ...

post #250 of 1792 Old 05-16-2009, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First off, I have really enjoyed reading your wit, I mean thread... Very entertaining!

Thanks. We're here every Thursday and Friday night.
Quote:

It looks like your main furnace lines running over the windows are running with the floor joists... Couldn't you push them up into the space between the rafters? Then back down on the wall where the door is... It might restrict the flow a tiny bit, but then you could go full height over to the windows which would look great, and only have the drop down by the wall... Or maybe... Whats behind the wall? Could you put them on the other side? Or is it just a regular wall and not load bearing? (most basement walls are not load bearing) you could put the duct work "inside" the wall... If you are limited to leaving them where they are. (remember they make aluminum foil coated cardboard that is very easy to work with and is used to make your floor joists become the supply lines for hvac).

Can you tell me more about this aluminum foil coated product? I've never heard of it and a quick google search didn't turn up much that I could decipher. I'm not sure how much time/money/effort I want (or can) spend on fiddling with those main ducts, partly because they are located in a spot that doesn't present that big an issue for the way the room is used. Still, if it wasn't a huge project cost or time wise, maybe ...

post #251 of 1792 Old 05-16-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

May 2009

It just dawned on me - a bear of every little brain, after all - that I had not properly acknowledged a huge milestone in this pathetic build thread: that through a miracle of science, time as we knew it in my time-warp build thread has centrifuged (or something) and merged with real time, so that now both times are equally distorted. To wit:

In layman terms, for you non-Einsteins out there, this thread will henceforth proceed in real time!

Which is another way of saying painfully slowly, now that I can no longer hide behind the miracle of condensing almost a year's worth of work into a few weeks worth of posting. Now I shall be completely exposed for the fraud I am: slow and clueless.

But - hey - there are tons of slow and clueless saps out there, a few of whom aren't even related to me, but how many of them are also dense enough to throw up a build thread to publicize their cluelessness?

Not many, fortunately.

I'm just sayin'.

post #252 of 1792 Old 05-17-2009, 12:30 AM

I just sat here and read this whole thread. Good stuff! I'm itching to start some project like this where I can create something. Keep up the good work.
post #253 of 1792 Old 05-18-2009, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqen View Post

I just sat here and read this whole thread. Good stuff!

They have medication for that now, ya know.

post #254 of 1792 Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

So, was there any progress with your contractor buddy this weekend? Or was that just an excuse to get out of Big Foots deck project?

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #255 of 1792 Old 05-19-2009, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

So, was there any progress with your contractor buddy this weekend? Or was that just an excuse to get out of Big Foots deck project?

You been reading my mail again, Michael?!

My poor aching muscles are just now recovering from all the work I did this weekend on the basement. Do you have any idea how draining it can be to spend an entire weekend snapping photos of other people working!? I thought not!

But in the interest of this build thread my dear wife took the camera from me and got one good shot of the entire crew just as we were discussing our weekend work plan: from left to right, that would be me, my buddy Chris and my son.

Details at 11! SOITENLY!!! Nyuk, nyuk!!

post #256 of 1792 Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, actual progress to report!

No, wise guys, you did not accidentally open the wrong build thread, although you might want to make a note of this on the calendar because it will be a looooong time before you are likely to read the word "progress" here again.

Realizing that I was going nowhere fast using my curent tactics (i.e. staring at the walls and wishing forlornly), I resolved to take action, because I read something somewhere that said nothing happens without action.

Of course, I was also taught not to believe everything I read, which kind of had me confused, but after trying the whole not-believing-everything-I-read bit and getting nowhere, I decided I might as well just give the believe anything bit a try. Worst case scenario I can always sue someone for misleading me.

First order of business was to get the crap out of the way so we could finally see exactly what we were dealing with! We had too much crap in the basement when we started this project back in the early seventeenth century, and that expanded exponentially when the kid I used to have came home from the service and took up residence in the construction zone, which he once knew as his bedroom. For perspective, here's a pre-weekend view of the once and future construction zone, which had started to regress back to it's original state of a bedroom. (Decoration by Peppie Le Pew!)

So I rented a storage pod thing for the driveway to absorb said crap and sundry related stuff so we could get jiggy with it. That thing is bigger than it looks - 8' x 8' x 16'.

Here's a view of the pod from inside the garage.

Second order of business was to recruit both skilled and unskilled labor. My builder buddy Chris came through for me again (I think his wife needed a break) in the starring role as the skilled labor and only one in the general vacinity with half a clue, while joining me in the supporting unskilled role was my son and a couple of his young friends, who did a marvelous job of coming through in the clutch, just before Chris arrived, and moved all the stuff from one half of the basement up and into the storage pod.

(This is where a lesser man would shaelessly and publicly give his son well deserved grief about being too hung over to do this moving work a day earlier as he had promised his old man, but I'm far too big for that sort of thing.)

The Three Amigos trying to get a round peg into a square hole.

And - shockingly!! - succeeding!

Obligatory young buck victory dances:

The one with his best, um ... face forward is, I am obliged to admit, my son. I think he must get his warped sense of humor from his mother.

I will just point out that the hideous couch is my son's, not ours, and despite it's state of disrepair he fights my constant suggestions to chop it up and feed it to the termites.

OK, back to some actual building!

Next order of business was for my buddy Chris to "help" me (cough cough, do everything, cough!!) finish the framing that had now langushed for the past couple of months. Those with great memories (and pathetically boring lives) will recall that a few weeks back I had managed to focus all my "talents" over the course of a weekend to frame an 8 foot section of wall, but other than that the framing had come to a standstill.

I was like a proud father showing off my handiwork to Chris. So you can imagine my pride when Chris took one look at what I had done and announced: "dude, the first thing we gotta do is fix this wall here." Here he is with his Sawzall fixing my masterpiece wall.

With that bit of humiliation out of the way, we kicked into high gear and, even with my frequent cutting mistakes (Dude, 23" is not quite the same as 33", but nice try!) by the end of the day, had finished almost all the framing, including the walls between the laundry room and the bedroom.

Here is a view of the area near the start of the day.

Making progress ...

Cans going in. Another advantage of being 6' 5", like Big Foot, is who needs stuff to stand on?

In the home stretch. View from the bedroom looking towards the laundry room.

And reversing orientation, from the laundry room looking back towards the bedroom.

And finally from the laundry room looking out through the door towards the stairway and the future HT room.

But other than that, it was a pretty quiet weekend ...

post #257 of 1792 Old 05-20-2009, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great to see a bit of progress after a bit of a hiatus. I'd love to see a POD parked out in front of MY parents house. Then all I'd have to do is convince the truck driver to show up and drive the POD straight to the local landfill.
post #258 of 1792 Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT1 View Post

HIJACK!!! Interesting frame, but more interesting is the motor with the 3 carbs on the engine stand in the background. What is that?

That is an old flathead with tri-power...

post #259 of 1792 Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Thanks. We're here every Thursday and Friday night. Can you tell me more about this aluminum foil coated product? I've never heard of it and a quick google search didn't turn up much that I could decipher. I'm not sure how much time/money/effort I want (or can) spend on fiddling with those main ducts, partly because they are located in a spot that doesn't present that big an issue for the way the room is used. Still, if it wasn't a huge project cost or time wise, maybe ...

Oh, whoops, I just found this...

Well, I have a box of it next to my furnace, so I'll check on the name of it and let you know.

Here are some tips for your cutting project. My father in law owns a large printing company where I work. So we have tons of paper... But, when working on a project, where you are doing muliple cuts, it would make sense to use paper to write down the dimensions... If your like us, you just don't have any, so write it on a piece of scrap lumber, then when you are "hanging around" waiting for the saw, you won't forget.

Here you can see a single duct using that product.

And a double duct...

I will check on the name of it, tonight when I get home as I have about 3/4 of a box left. My HVAC contractor got it for me.

post #260 of 1792 Old 05-21-2009, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is an old flathead with tri-power...

Of course. That would have been my guess.

If I knew what an old flathead with tri-power was.

post #261 of 1792 Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 AM
HT1

Quote:

Of course. That would have been my guess.

If I knew what an old flathead with tri-power was.

It's a screwdriver with 3 110v plugins installed in the handle.

I like this place!!!
HT1

post #262 of 1792 Old 05-21-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT1 View Post

It's a screwdriver with 3 110v plugins installed in the handle.

All right, Mr. Smarty Pants, the time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is me!!

As of now you're on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION!!!

post #263 of 1792 Old 05-21-2009, 07:19 PM
HT1

Quote:

All right, Mr. Smarty Pants, the time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is me!!

As of now you're on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION!!!

cough coughBULL$%!@coughcough

I like this place!!!
HT1

post #264 of 1792 Old 05-22-2009, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, whoops, I just found this...

Well, I have a box of it next to my furnace, so I'll check on the name of it and let you know.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Quote:

Here are some tips for your cutting project. My father in law owns a large printing company where I work. So we have tons of paper... But, when working on a project, where you are doing muliple cuts, it would make sense to use paper to write down the dimensions... If your like us, you just don't have any, so write it on a piece of scrap lumber, then when you are "hanging around" waiting for the saw, you won't forget.

But that assumes I would (a) write down the measurement correctly and (b) refer to what I had actually written down before cutting.

That would be assuming too much, since I was using the write it down approach and still managed to screw it up a couple of times.

post #265 of 1792 Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Dude, I wish I had neighbors like you...well maybe I do, but I only ever see the ones on each side of me and one other I have talked to wouldnt be a guy I would hang out with so..the ones on either side are retired so it is tough to think they can help with the hard stuff, and my friends are worthless when it comes to this sort of stuff, so I was always left to fend for myself. I needed someone to come frame my walls about a year ago...good work

post #266 of 1792 Old 05-22-2009, 10:02 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

OK, actual progress to report!

No, wise guys, you did not accidentally open the wrong build thread, although you might want to make a note of this on the calendar because it will be a looooong time before you are likely to read the word "progress" here again.
Realizing that I was going nowhere fast using my curent tactics (i.e. staring at the walls and wishing forlornly), I resolved to take action, because I read something somewhere that said nothing happens without action.

Of course, I was also taught not to believe everything I read, which kind of had me confused, but after trying the whole not-believing-everything-I-read bit and getting nowhere, I decided I might as well just give the believe anything bit a try. Worst case scenario I can always sue someone for misleading me.

First order of business was to get the crap out of the way so we could finally see exactly what we were dealing with! We had too much crap in the basement when we started this project back in the early seventeenth century, and that expanded exponentially when the kid I used to have came home from the service and took up residence in the construction zone, which he once knew as his bedroom. For perspective, here's a pre-weekend view of the once and future construction zone, which had started to regress back to it's original state of a bedroom. (Decoration by Peppie Le Pew!)

So I rented a storage pod thing for the driveway to absorb said crap and sundry related stuff so we could get jiggy with it. That thing is bigger than it looks - 8' x 8' x 16'.

Here's a view of the pod from inside the garage.

Second order of business was to recruit both skilled and unskilled labor. My builder buddy Chris came through for me again (I think his wife needed a break) in the starring role as the skilled labor and only one in the general vacinity with half a clue, while joining me in the supporting unskilled role was my son and a couple of his young friends, who did a marvelous job of coming through in the clutch, just before Chris arrived, and moved all the stuff from one half of the basement up and into the storage pod.

(This is where a lesser man would shaelessly and publicly give his son well deserved grief about being too hung over to do this moving work a day earlier as he had promised his old man, but I'm far too big for that sort of thing.)

The Three Amigos trying to get a round peg into a square hole.

And - shockingly!! - succeeding!

Obligatory young buck victory dances:

The one with his best, um ... face forward is, I am obliged to admit, my son. I think he must get his warped sense of humor from his mother.

I will just point out that the hideous couch is my son's, not ours, and despite it's state of disrepair he fights my constant suggestions to chop it up and feed it to the termites.

OK, back to some actual building!

Next order of business was for my buddy Chris to "help" me (cough cough, do everything, cough!!) finish the framing that had now langushed for the past couple of months. Those with great memories (and pathetically boring lives) will recall that a few weeks back I had managed to focus all my "talents" over the course of a weekend to frame an 8 foot section of wall, but other than that the framing had come to a standstill.

I was like a proud father showing off my handiwork to Chris. So you can imagine my pride when Chris took one look at what I had done and announced: "dude, the first thing we gotta do is fix this wall here." Here he is with his Sawzall fixing my masterpiece wall.

With that bit of humiliation out of the way, we kicked into high gear and, even with my frequent cutting mistakes (Dude, 23" is not quite the same as 33", but nice try!) by the end of the day, had finished almost all the framing, including the walls between the laundry room and the bedroom.

Here is a view of the area near the start of the day.

Making progress ...

Cans going in. Another advantage of being 6' 5", like Big Foot, is who needs stuff to stand on?

In the home stretch. View from the bedroom looking towards the laundry room.

And reversing orientation, from the laundry room looking back towards the bedroom.

And finally from the laundry room looking out through the door towards the stairway and the future HT room.

But other than that, it was a pretty quiet weekend ...

Hanes,
Great progress thanks to your non-virtual bigfoot Chris. Still can't wait
to see a pic of you putting something up.....

Keep up the great work!

My home / Theater / Rec Room build

post #267 of 1792 Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcafishing View Post

Hanes,
Great progress thanks to your non-virtual bigfoot Chris. Still can't wait
to see a pic of you putting something up.....

Your wish is my command. Here's a shot of me putting something up.

Hey, while you're up, you mind grabbing me another gin and tonic?

post #268 of 1792 Old 05-23-2009, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LOL, give a guy a break, you spelling bee champ you!
post #269 of 1792 Old 05-23-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Hanes,

So I take i week off from the PC, and what do I find when I return >> Progress! Damn I thought I felt the earth tremble but it was you.

Looking Good My Man!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #270 of 1792 Old 05-24-2009, 04:49 AM

Well... I forgot to look at it Wednesday night. Remember thrusday, and instead of going to work on Friday... My wife and I dropped the kids off at the inlaws and went to ride roller coasters at Kings Island.

So, here I am BEFORE church telling you what foil covered product was. (I didn't want to feel guilty for not telling you sooner...)

Drums please...

Thermopan

http://www.thermopan.com/

http://www.thermopan.com/products_thermopan.htm

I have a box of it that is about 3/4 full (16 sheets) if you want it let me know. I'll send it to you for the shipping cost...

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page