Best "high-end" surround sound system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-08-2009, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sure, I see the HTIB "systems" at the big box stores, but I'm looking for much better quality. (Don't get me wrong; I know everyone has a budget, including me.)

Sure, I see these, gulp, systems from Linn ($128K, $58K and $17K) but that's way beyond my budget. (Of course, amps are included in those deals.

KEF has a surround sound speaker system for around $3,500 which is much more like it. Yes, I could do a "mix and match" deal with various speakers as many of us do, but if I'm determined to Start All Over and desire very nice fronts for music teamed with a sub, center and two rears for TV and Blu-Ray, are there any other companies that offer a complete, co-ordinated package (minus receiver) in that $2,500 to $4,500 ballpark?

All advice and counsel appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-08-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Yes there are TONS of packages in that price range. Go listen to what is available to you and see what you like. B&W, Definitive Technology, Klipsch, Polk, Monitor Audio, Mirage, PSB, and a bunch more.

The 5.1 system is popular with many speaker companies. You could also do internet direct from companies like Emotiva, Swan, The Speaker Company, Rocket, Onix, etc.

Go listen to some and get an idea of what sound you are looking for. Then update us to help us suggest companies that might sound similar.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #3 of 8 Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Here is one example of an internet direct company's package deals. The third package is the oneI would go with. I have not heard the system but they have had some very good reviews. If I were in your position, I would seriously consider these. Going ID is nice because you get to hear them in your room. The problem is the cost of returning them if you don't like them. This is just one example. There are literally countless packages in your range from both id and store brands. You have your work cut out for you....

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-mts01.cfm

post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

<< You have your work cut out for you.... >>

WHAAAAAT?? You mean YOU'RE not going to do the work FOR me? If not, then what the heck am I coming HERE for???

Okay, yes... I'm being silly. The advice so far makes plenty of sense and now I need to get into the research part. I like the idea of the "internet direct" model since there's some great stuff out there without the marketing/dealership/markup factor. But the poster is right: better like what you buy (perhaps sight unseen/unheard) because if the purchase turns out to be a lemon, that "30-day" return policy is still going to be a bitch.

Having said all that and heard the previous posters, if anyone has such a system that they just LOVE (including the price paid) I'd enjoy hearing about it.

Thanks,

Ben
post #5 of 8 Old 04-09-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You might get more responses if you post this in the speaker thread.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM

hsu research has some real nice speakers that will come in way under your budget....although if you go for the crazy subs....it might come close to what you wanna spend.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I second the HSU...efficient, detailed, loud...perfect for home theater.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-11-2009, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by benseattle View Post

<< You have your work cut out for you.... >>

WHAAAAAT?? You mean YOU'RE not going to do the work FOR me? If not, then what the heck am I coming HERE for???

Okay, yes... I'm being silly. The advice so far makes plenty of sense and now I need to get into the research part. I like the idea of the "internet direct" model since there's some great stuff out there without the marketing/dealership/markup factor. But the poster is right: better like what you buy (perhaps sight unseen/unheard) because if the purchase turns out to be a lemon, that "30-day" return policy is still going to be a bitch.

Having said all that and heard the previous posters, if anyone has such a system that they just LOVE (including the price paid) I'd enjoy hearing about it.

Thanks,

Ben

The best world situation you get several internet direct speakers and compare them in your room and environment. Even if you go to a "big box store" or a high end audio store what you hear there will be different than what you would hear in your home. If you are a repeat customer they just may let you take a loner home to try out, but I doubt that if you just walk in off of the street they are going to let you take home a set of speakers to try out. Unless they put a "safety charge" on your CC.

I have done a ton of reading in the speaker forum and have decided on three different speaker companies as per what I have gathered from their owners. SVS. Aperion, and Ascend. As these companies are internet direct you are "buying sight unseen/unheard" but the most you would be out is shipping anyway if you did not like them because I believe all three have a pretty generous return policy.

Oh and I second the poster who advised going to the speaker forum. You will get far more traffic and advise there.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page