So my wife and I bought this 6 year old home back in Dec.
The previous owner was one of the worst handyman I have ever seen. The way he "finished" the basement is nothing short of a train wreck.
It's more work for me to rip everything out and start over - makes me angry that he violated my house this way
Since then we've been slowly doing our own reno. The upstairs is pretty much complete and now it's time for the basement.
I've been mesmerized by the amazing work that folks here have done and I feel inspired to take on the challenge.
I'd like to keep the basement open concept as much as possible.
Here is what I am planning and need help with:
1) Sound proofing - we have a baby on the way and I want to listen and watch movies in all their glory using my Rockets and Pioneer VSX-94TXH, without waking the little guy.
Currently the basement is completely open as you walk downstairs, so I was thinking of building a wall on the right hand side of the stairs (as shown in the sketch-up) I've read the numerous threads about sound proofing (RSIC clips, DD and GG) - I just need some pointers on where I should utilize them; I know I need to do the ceiling for sure. Also my house is a split level so the basement foundation only comes up half-way and leaves a ledge along the walls. Anyone one have some tips on how to finish these?
The RSIC clips scare me a bit. Looking at the they way you install them, 2 sheets of 5/8" Drywall hanging from a hat channel that is only "clipped" in concerns me.
2) Fireplace - this will be a contemporary flush mount fireplace, similar to this one:Link
Position is show in the sketchup.
The manual says the main FP header should be built from non-combustible material. Anyone have experience with building a fireplace frame?
3) Main breaker panel is in a hideous location (corner of living room) - you can see it in the pictures. Any tips on how to hide or incorporate this well?
I was thinking I could do a full small closet door, since the FP is going to push out my wall about 20" to 24" inches
4) I have a 42U server rack from work that I plan on building into the wall. I haven't finalized a location yet.
5) A mini-bar? I've seen lots of beautiful work here and my wife likes the idea. I'll experiment with the plan and location.
Here the pics of the basement: