post #91 of 192 Old 07-06-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WOW, very cool, subscribed!

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 192 Old 07-07-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

WOW, very cool, subscribed!

Thanks for following along! I'm putting the side-splash in and cleaning up the tile all around. It's so nice to have a faucet and sink to help with cleaning up after a few bags of popcorn. This is the machine I have and it does a great job. The best part was that I got it for free! Traded unused things for it. http://www.mypopcornmachine.com/ulsisp.html

I also found an old gum ball machine in our storage, so I shined it up and now it sits on the bar full of M&M's. Poor mans concession stand where you can have any candy you want as long as it's M&M's!!

If at first you do succeed- try to hide your astonishment.

My Concrete Counter Build!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1151574
post #93 of 192 Old 07-09-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

So what are we looking at?
I had a scrap piece of stainless steel that I needed to cut and fit into place. I used a plasma cutter to trim it to the right height and width. You could also use a jigsaw or band saw. We decided to go with the black silicone for the contrast vs. the clear. I masked the area off and filled with silicone and then wiped it away. After it's dry I'll go back and clean it up further. You could skip this step all together and just caulk it in if you want to have no metal there.

Still to do:Side splash
Base Molding around bar
Install bar fridge
Install under counter lighting

post #94 of 192 Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Your HT and lobby areas are really looking sharp !!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #95 of 192 Old 07-09-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Your HT and lobby areas are really looking sharp !!!

Thanks!

I'm slowly coming to grips with the fact that you never really finish a HT project- You just stop at a good point!

post #96 of 192 Old 07-09-2009, 03:27 PM

wow, that looks much better than I thought it would no offense! We have this bar near me with an outdoor bar setup and a concrete top. Looks like dog $hit compared to what you did. I don't think they used the vibration in the settling step, tons of air pockets and it's all rough
post #97 of 192 Old 07-09-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ha ha, well thanks Whiskey. It did turn out in the end like I thought it would but there is that step when you flip it out of the mold that you hold your breath. Like I've said before though- almost any mistake can be fixed or manipulated in a way that makes it look like you meant to do it that way

I'm having a hard time finding a bar fridge. I'm looking for one with a glass front and able to get down to the upper 30's in temp. Budget is set around $500 +/-. Anyone have some recommendations?

post #98 of 192 Old 07-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Ok that is awesome!! I'm hoping mine come out 1/2 that nice.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #99 of 192 Old 07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
mmeister, that looks great. The stainless strip is a good way to keep the joint small and stainless or brass strips are a classic way to trim terazzo, so it is not like it is crazy.

Whiskey>work, I wonder if they meant to have that look?
pfmg likes this.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #100 of 192 Old 07-10-2009, 09:03 PM

it's just a big slab of concrete! I'll take some pics when I'm there maybe tomorrow. Hey, to each his own. I think the guy who started this thread made a top much nicer than I'm seeing in a professional establishment. Maybe some would think otherwise. Apples and oranges I guess. Picture dark grey, pretty coarse concrete. Just sayin I think they could have done better. Pics are coming
post #101 of 192 Old 07-12-2009, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I would have to believe that was the look they were going for, I mean does it look like it belongs in that space? Although the thought of bar snacks and stale beer crambed into the small holes isn't so nice! Reading online I found that a lot of people that do these tops for a living have an art background which I can see because there is a design element involved, so the outdoor bar top with bubbles may have been do on purpose. I do have an art background but these tops I do for myself.

post #102 of 192 Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 PM

aw fark I was there last night but couldn't get a pic. It's a bit tough when it's full of boozers. Bear with me on this one, but it is a deep grey concret top. It's impressive that it's all one piece and it serves its function, but I like OP's work better. That's all
post #103 of 192 Old 07-16-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Bed Bath and Beyond had these stools clearanced down to 39 and we had a 20% off coupon on top of that!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...593187&RN=2023

post #104 of 192 Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Where on earth did you manage to dig up a 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond Coupon?

Nice strools though. Even at $59.99 looks liek a good deal.

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #105 of 192 Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

Where on earth did you manage to dig up a 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond Coupon?

Nice stools though. Even at $59.99 looks liek a good deal.

They send them to us all the time- we have a stack of them. Even if they expire they honor them and allow us to use multiples at one time. They just sent us one for $10 off any purchase of $30 or more too.

I just installed the angle iron under the tops to conceal the rope lights so I'll post a before and after soon.

post #106 of 192 Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Not really HT related but...

Progress is slowed by the fact that I'm trying to complete the 120 in my den at the same time. I've moved all the stuf from the old tank to the new. As you can see in the pic I need to finish the sides but I'm tired of the miter cuts! It's 2x4 skeleton skinned with poplar-primed and painted.

post #107 of 192 Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeister View Post

Not really HT related but...

Progress is slowed by the fact that I'm trying to complete the 120 in my den at the same time. I've moved all the stuf from the old tank to the new. As you can see in the pic I need to finish the sides but I'm tired of the miter cuts! It's 2x4 skeleton skinned with poplar-primed and painted.

Wait - you're into reef tanks too? And I just noticed you are in Columbus... If you're also a Columbus Crew fan and into brewing your own beer, then I think you might be the long lost twin brother I never knew I had.

Unfortunately, my grandiose theater (and reef tank) plans are necessarily on hold until I get a house built and get out of my condo, but we might be able to share some knowledge/experiences/ideas...
post #108 of 192 Old 07-22-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

Thanks, but that HT is long gone. We finally sold the house in February after being on the market for over a year. If I had seen this thread earlier it would have been hard to debate between the wood/epoxy top I went with and a concrete bar top. It will be a while before I do anything HT related in our new home. It's older & needs lots of renovating. Right now I'm going for the outdoor theater since I have all of the equipment laying around collecting dust.

I'm not afraid to attempt something that size for the first time, but I'd be concerned with how to man-handle the pieces with a crew and how well I could get the tops to line up to form a good joint in the corner. Have you had to join two pieces together and how well did it turn out?

Neuner,

Glad you got your house sold but what a bummer to lose such a great space you had going there. Hopefully space 2.0 will measure up nicely.

MMeister,

I showed your thread to my wife and she gave me the thumbs up for doing our kitchen island in concrete. She has wanted to do something to spruce up the island for a while now and get rid of the laminate and this is just the ticket.

John
post #109 of 192 Old 07-24-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

FOOSHINHO- I love going to crew games, my youngest son play travel soccer and we go to the games when we can. I have not tried making beer YET. The wife and I have talked about giving it a go.

Thanks John for following along. Funny I just read through your build couple days ago. Your color choices look great and I love that MAME your building. I'm going to seriously look into building one of those- with a concrete top for the controls!! You'll have to send me the info on where to find whats needed to build one of those. We have an island in our kitchen as well with an area for a dinning table attached to it. My thought is to totally rebuild the island making it about 3x the size taking up most of the dinning area with room for 6-8 stools around the outside and a cook-top in the middle. Everyone always seems to end up in the kitchen anyways.

post #110 of 192 Old 07-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've been following this thread and really have enjoyed. Had to post once ol' Foos posted about being a Crew fan, into home theater and home brew.

I know him from the Crew message boards. My basement home theater room is in the very early planning stages (kitchen remodel of our 1968 original kitchen MUST take precedence). I'm really thinking that your counter top primer has convinced me that I can do some counters for the kitchen myself. I may make a bar top first to see how things go.

Great thread!

Andy

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #111 of 192 Old 07-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I got the first test slab poured, and I have some questions. However, it's late on Sunday night so I'll post them tomorrow. Also so I don't hijack your thread, I posted pics of the test slab in my thread.

All in all not too hard, but I wasn't working with exact dimensions. Just playing around. Still so far pretty easy, we'll see if I'm still that enthusiastic after hours of polishing!

Thanks again for the inspiration!!!

Thanks,

Mike

post #112 of 192 Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to quickly go over templates for those who may need them for larger projects. These are great for giving you a visual idea of whats going on and you can easily make changes before you cut your molds out. This will also help those that have inside corners that are not 90 degrees or if the top is going in a nook/niche where you will have two inside corners. I apologize for not having pictures but the concept is simple.

I use the thin luan board cut down to 2-3" strips. You could also use rigid cardboard if you have that around. With your cabinets in place simple lay the luan strips around the perimeter making sure to add your overhangs of 1" (or more if it's an island top) and hot glue at the overlaps. **EDIT** Make sure you use a marker and write "front" and "back" on your template. Remember your mold is upside down when pouring so after the template is made you need to flip it over so your writing is face down on the mold. Also note left and right for the flip which is important if you are adding a sink. Write on the mold if need be to keep yourself oriented. Double check two or three times. Now if the corner is +/- 90 degrees this will fix the problem and make for a nice tight corner. Now take your template and transfer it to your 4x8 melamine by tracing the outside perimeter. If the corners are off 90 then you will need to set up a rip fence with crap wood/quickgrips/circ. saw. If you have the room you could use the template itself by marking the top then moving the template over whatever the distant is from the blade to the edge of the saw base. Did I lose everyone there? Secure you 3 1/4" melamine to the side to give you an overall 2.5" concrete top.

OK, plan B. If you have the room- meaning your top is smaller then the 4x8 sheet of melamine. Flip your template over as done above and trace your template on the 4x8 top leaving room all around the outside and place 2.5" strips of melamine right on top following your template. Predrill holes down into the particle side of the board and secure with screw down into place along the perimeter. Overlap the corners and add support blocks to the outside with this method.

post #113 of 192 Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 729
I think you forgot to mention that you need to flip the template over before transferring the dimensions.
post #114 of 192 Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM

How do you guys feel about making me a huge u shaped bar for my basement?
post #115 of 192 Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks BIG, I'll edit it. I was thinking it but didnt type it out I guess.

post #116 of 192 Old 07-27-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeister View Post

They send them to us all the time- we have a stack of them. Even if they expire they honor them and allow us to use multiples at one time. They just sent us one for $10 off any purchase of $30 or more too.

I just installed the angle iron under the tops to conceal the rope lights so I'll post a before and after soon.

Ha, I was just kidding. Wy wife must have 25 or 30 of those things laying around. We get at least one BBB coupon a week it seems. I figured they bombarded everyone like that.

As far as templating, there was a good episode of a show on DIY called Rock Solid (of course it is crappy standard def) where they built a vanity and used 1/4 or 1/8 hardboard to build the template, the actually built the form right up against it. They had a curved front, so this made it easy to use a piece of foam for the bend. It ran last week during the day. Here is a link to the build info about it which shows it as well. Also a nice use of glass (though they would have had much better looking results IMO if they used flat glass rather than bottles for their pieces, it is just harder to get flat colored glass.

Part 1 http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how...top/index.html

Part 2 http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how...top/index.html

They also have a larger scale project where they do the form a little differently in their list of How tos http://www.diynetwork.com/rock-solid...cts/index.html

post #117 of 192 Old 07-27-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links Lee. I always enjoy seeing how other people tackle the same project/problems. They are doing some of my "plan B" for a template. The only thing I wished is that they would go into more detail sometimes. That was the problem I found when I was trying to learn how to do these- they just glazed over it on the websites, so in comes my take on it....not the only way to do it, but a way.

I'll have to dvr their show and check it out- looks like they have a lot of great projects they show.

post #118 of 192 Old 07-29-2009, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Time for a small update!

L brackets used to conceal the rope lights.

With the ceiling lights out. Note the new stools from BBB

Lights on. (Before)

(After)

post #119 of 192 Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Obviously I need a lot more practice... However, here's a picture of my "mmeister" test slab. It's the first one out of the mold for me so I thought I'd share it here as well since this is the thread that inspired me!

I'll grind and polish this weekend, then edit this post to include what I hope to be a more finished looking project.

Thanks Meister Man! Your thread rocks! (intentional pun)

Thanks,

Mike

post #120 of 192 Old 07-29-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thats why you do test slabs to work out the kinks!!

OK, from what I see it looks like the mix was too dry. Don't go off the bag instructions for water amount- it just doesn't work for counters. You want the mix loose but not runny. The sand would have helped a little too but the main thing is to get the rubber surgical gloves on and as one person is putting the concrete in the mold the person with the gloves really need to work it into the corners and edges.

I see some bubbles in this raw form so as you polish the top you may very well suddenly see a ton of bubbles after the 50 and 100 grind. Thats OK! If that happens get a bag of straight Portland cement, mix a small batch very loose with some sand (and color if needed) and pour on the top at the 400 grind mark. I found it easiest to work it in by hand then squeegee off the excess. Let me know how it goes!

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page