Making Concrete Bar Tops - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 191 Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
good luck with your tops. By far this thread and the videos posted on www.concreteexchange.com helped me the most. These two resources alone have everything you need to know to take a really good first shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 191 Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 AM

well, tops are done. I had to grind/polish last weekend, when temps were sitting at 32-34 and windy...so that kind of sucked. In the end, I looked like a big, frozen trash bag, since I made my own makeshift poncho out of leftover black poly - and the mist from the waterfeed coated everything in a thin layer of ice. The whole time I was miserable; cold, wet...thinking to myself this isn't going to work. Well, the wife and I couldn't be happier how our first tops came out!. I still need to put a final urethane sealer/polish coat, but other than that these things are complete. To reiterate what others have said before me, you'll be very surprised at how much mess you can make, how heavy these things truly are - and how much you will appreciate all of that in the end when you have a hand/self-made, beautiful countertop in your home.

Thanks again to all those that have contributed to this thread before me.

Sorry, crappy camera phone photo. I'll try and get some better quality shots up soon.
post #183 of 191 Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 AM

Liked: 15
These are Fantastic! Maybe a new project of mine when I redo our kitchen ^_^
post #184 of 191 Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM

Your counter tops look great. What kind of cabinets are those, they are great too.
post #185 of 191 Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 AM

Thanks - The cabinets are Ikea boxes with birch veneer opton, and the doors are the new Sofielund Walnut/Light Gray . Pulls are ikea as well.
post #186 of 191 Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM

Liked: 12
This thread is so freakin full of awesome.. I'm subscribing just so I can give it a shot someday soon.. maybe this spring/summer(if it ever gets here), the kitchen has some sad ass laminates that I (or the wifey) would not miss.

Thanks for sharing all the info./experiences.. I gotta go back and check out all the links and such..

post #187 of 191 Old 03-27-2013, 02:17 PM

Ok to you guys that are doing your kitchens what did you do to reinforce the current cabinets? I am really worried that I will have a problem after everything is all done with them not supporting the extra 500+ pounds.
post #188 of 191 Old 03-29-2013, 07:06 AM

I don't think you'll need to reinforce your cabs. Just keep the top thickness reasonable (2" or so) to keep the weight down.

But I supposed all that can depend on the quality of the cabinet. Best to talk with the person/manuf. that will provide your cabs.
post #189 of 191 Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
The whole top doesn't need to be 2" to get the look. There was a segment on Ask This Old House recently where they made concrete counter tops. Only the outer 3" of the top were 2" thick. The rest of the top was 1" thick. It was done by placing a 1" thick sheet of foam insulation after the first 1" of concrete was in the form and filling around the edges. Sure makes it easier to move the tops into place and works fine with existing cabinets.
post #190 of 191 Old 06-06-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Best video I've found re: Polishing Concrete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbUi05wD16I

post #191 of 191 Old 06-07-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

The whole top doesn't need to be 2" to get the look. There was a segment on Ask This Old House recently where they made concrete counter tops. Only the outer 3" of the top were 2" thick. The rest of the top was 1" thick. It was done by placing a 1" thick sheet of foam insulation after the first 1" of concrete was in the form and filling around the edges. Sure makes it easier to move the tops into place and works fine with existing cabinets.

I watched this (you can get it on their website). I thought it was interesting, but my problem with This Old House is that much of what they do isn't explained well enough for a home owner to do, or you need special tools. For instance, they used one type of concrete they sprayed into the form. Where on earth do you get a concrete sprayer? What's the exact concrete they used (It had additives to make it stronger)? Then, the second type of concrete had glass fibers in it. What's the ratio of glass fibers to concrete mix? They also used a slurry without sand (as the last step, to get rid of air bubbles on the top), so I assume that's the concrete mix without sand? Perhaps one can rent the water grinder they used. That would help a lot.

They do provide a link to a place to get supplies:

Fishstone

But you're basically on your own to figure everything out.

Bob
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page