Jpdeuce's basement redo: HT and Family Hang-out - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 240 Old 10-26-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I just LOVE the waterless toilet! Very green (figuratively and literally) hope it works out for you. I let you be the beta tester/early adopter on that one.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 240 Old 11-16-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, this thread is about due for the finished (basically) pics. Just have to paint baseboards, but that is going to wait a while. I also have put the wet bar off, since none of the cabinet companies I have had come price the job can get back to me with a quote. I suppose we will just go the IKEA route when we are ready, I know they will take my money. Anyway, here's the pics. Nothing has been put up on the wall yet, but the rugs are down and furniture is in place. I also brought down an entry table type thing to store the equipment in temporarily. I'll follow up with the finished bathroom pics. Again, lacking baseboard paint, but done otherwise.

Bathroom Pics

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
post #213 of 240 Old 11-17-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Looks great!

Curious - how are you liking the cork floor?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #214 of 240 Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Loving it. It's so nice and soft, and feels good to walk on, especially with barefeet. Still have some of that residual glue that I have to pay attention to, now that the majority of the work is done. It comes up easy with a wet sponge and some rubbing, but it blends into the floor when it's dry, so it's diffuclt to find. I found a squishy spot in the floor too that I will need to deal with. The OSB didn't get secured enough to the slab, so it's bouncy. You can't tell unless you are directly on the spot, but I know it's there, so I'll need to do something about it.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
post #215 of 240 Old 11-17-2009, 01:54 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 580
JP if you can use 36 inch tall upper cabinets I found another very reasonable source. They are Chinese cabinets with many different finishes but they actually look pretty good. I went to look at them and they were similar to IKEA in quality.

I needed 30 inch so I couldn't use them for my project.

www.dsurplus.com
post #216 of 240 Old 11-17-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

JP if you can use 36 inch tall upper cabinets I found another very reasonable source. They are Chinese cabinets with many different finishes but they actually look pretty good. I went to look at them and they were similar to IKEA in quality.

I needed 30 inch so I couldn't use them for my project.

www.dsurplus.com

If there isn't a price benefit that makes sense, I'll prolly stick with the IKEA. Did you price them when you went, or did you not get that far since they didn't have 30" tall cabinet you needed?

post #217 of 240 Old 11-17-2009, 06:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Pricing is on the web site. The cabinet boxes are Plywood rather than MDF.
post #218 of 240 Old 11-18-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alas, they do not have the sizes we need either. Seems like a common theme.

post #219 of 240 Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 AM

Looks really good, nice work on the room.
post #220 of 240 Old 12-14-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the positive comments.

As a side note, does anybody know of a foam that dries hard enough to support weight? I've got a soft spot in my subfloor that I would like to shoot some foam under and then (hopefully) when it sets up, it won't be a soft spot anymore.

post #221 of 240 Old 12-14-2009, 01:30 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Maybe Great Stuff? need to be careful because it expands like crazy while it is drying, The non expanding version stays softer. Given the effort that went into that great looking floor you don't want to screw it up!
post #222 of 240 Old 12-14-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm curious about this too, JP, although fortunately I'm still at the stage where I've put down Dricore but have not yet put any finished flooring on it yet. On the rare occasions when my Gypsies-in-laws are not in their "bedroom" (my soon to be HT), I notice a couple of "soft spots" as well where I obviously should have put in some spacers but didn't.

If someone still has easy access to the unfinished dricore and has such soft spots, do you think just some tapcon screws strategically placed would do the trick?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #223 of 240 Old 12-14-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe Great Stuff? need to be careful because it expands like crazy while it is drying, The non expanding version stays softer. Given the effort that went into that great looking floor you don't want to screw it up!

I've used Great Stuff recently. I don't think it holds up quite like what I'm looking for. It compacts under even just hand pressure. I'm really looking for something that can hold up to some weight...like people walking on it. Maybe foam isn't my answer...just a thought.

post #224 of 240 Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I'm curious about this too, JP, although fortunately I'm still at the stage where I've put down Dricore but have not yet put any finished flooring on it yet. On the rare occasions when my Gypsies-in-laws are not in their "bedroom" (my soon to be HT), I notice a couple of "soft spots" as well where I obviously should have put in some spacers but didn't.

If someone still has easy access to the unfinished dricore and has such soft spots, do you think just some tapcon screws strategically placed would do the trick?

If I understand what you are saying, then I would say...it depends.

If it's slight, then I would go with the tapcons...assuming tapcons hold tight for you. If it's not slight, then maybe drilling a hole and squirting something down there that will fill and setup strong is a better answer. Maybe we can find the "squirt and setup" solution as the same answer for different but similar problems.

post #225 of 240 Old 12-27-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Waiting for coupon for Best Buy to use my Christmas gift cards to purchase the Pioneer 1019 receiver. Maybe I can finally get those rear speakers plugged into something.

post #226 of 240 Old 12-27-2009, 07:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

JP thinking about that floor, They make self leveling concrete patching material that comes in caulking tubes. You could drill some holes and squirt some down there. As long as the platoon is in the up position when the patch dries it would limit the down flexing when you walk on it.
post #227 of 240 Old 12-28-2009, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

JP thinking about that floor, They make self leveling concrete patching material that comes in caulking tubes. You could drill some holes and squirt some down there. As long as the platoon is in the up position when the patch dries it would limit the down flexing when you walk on it.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Any ideas on what it's specifically called?

post #228 of 240 Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

self leveling concrete patch

here is one possibility, I would experiment with it on some scraps first to see if it has the right firmness when dry.

http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID...paign=DATAFEED
post #229 of 240 Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Great choice on the paint color. I painted my bar with similar color. For the cork flooring, does it actually feel soft when you walk on it? like a little cushion to it? It look very interesting.

this forum is EVIL
I was happy with LCD-PS3 last year.
Current Project http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1202055
post #230 of 240 Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcac View Post

Great choice on the paint color.

Thanks. We are Longhorn fans...but I was really fighting going with this color. I really wanted to do something else, but we have used this color in another house and just liked it too much. I felt with the cork color and the future wet bar being wood, that everything would feel too "brown" and "earthy". We will see. I might have to decorate the walls with stuff that cools the tone down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcac View Post

For the cork flooring, does it actually feel soft when you walk on it? like a little cushion to it? It look very interesting.

No, it does not have a bouncy feel to it. But yes, it does feel soft. It's probably a little softer than a linoleum type flooring...so I could make indentions in it with something that has an edge...but I can't squeeze it between my fingers and make an impression. I feel the softness more when I have bare feet...it has sort of a "fuzz" feel to it...rather than a harsh coolness that tile would have.

We really like it. The perfectionist in me wishes I spent more time with the subfloor. There are spots where it's obvious (probably only to me) that a screw didn't get sunk all the way, or the OSB wasn't exactly level with the next piece. I've heard no complaints from anyone else though...and many compliments.

We are really glad we chose the cork floor.

post #231 of 240 Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 PM

This thread talks about that exact method!: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e=5&highlight=
post #232 of 240 Old 01-21-2010, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecho789 View Post

This thread talks about that exact method!: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e=5&highlight=

Great link, thanks. Unfortunately, this is going to require me to pull up a couple cork tiles. I saved some extra that I can put back down, but it's just going to be a pain. I will wait until other projects are done and I'm REALLY bored to tackle this one.

post #233 of 240 Old 01-21-2010, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by eecho789 View Post

I'm a little slow. If you're talking about the cork floor issue, what method are you referring to, and where in the 5 page thread is it described?

P.S. OK, fine ... I'm a LOT slow.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #234 of 240 Old 01-21-2010, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I'm a little slow. If you're talking about the cork floor issue, what method are you referring to, and where in the 5 page thread is it described?

P.S. OK, fine ... I'm a LOT slow.

I think he was referring to the sagging floor issue, and a post shows the triangle 3 holes, then the cement caulk you squirt in there to reinforce the floor. Since my cork is already down though, I'll have to pull up a couple of cork tiles to fix this. Or I will have to find something to fill the cork holes with.

post #235 of 240 Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM

Liked: 12
Looks great! could you give me some specs, like ceiling height, ceiling height under the soffit, and the distance seating is from the screen.

thanks
post #236 of 240 Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfmg View Post

Looks great! could you give me some specs, like ceiling height, ceiling height under the soffit, and the distance seating is from the screen.

thanks

Ceiling height is 7.5 feet. The soffit is 11 inches tall. The front edge of the couch is at 9.5 feet from the screen. Screen size is 93 inches (16x9).

post #237 of 240 Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post

We really like it. The perfectionist in me wishes I spent more time with the subfloor. There are spots where it's obvious (probably only to me) that a screw didn't get sunk all the way, or the OSB wasn't exactly level with the next piece. I've heard no complaints from anyone else though...and many compliments.

Sounds a little like the "Princess and pea" story....

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #238 of 240 Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

Sounds a little like the "Princess and pea" story....

I feel like I should take offense to you calling me a Princess.

post #239 of 240 Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Liked: 12
I just read through your build thread, Nice job! It gives me motivation to get moving again on my basement and HT 2.0

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
post #240 of 240 Old 02-05-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybear50 View Post

I just read through your build thread, Nice job! It gives me motivation to get moving again on my basement and HT 2.0

Thanks for the kind words. We finally got the baseboards painted...so I just have a couple of little things to finish up. We have enjoyed it quite a bit though, and it's a nice cozy place for us to hang out with all this snow we have been getting.

There's definitely a couple of nagging things that I think I will just wait to tackle when they annoy me so much that I have to "fix" them. The front columns' corners are really bad, as far as the mudding goes, and it bothers me. That and the floor issue discussed above. My wife hasn't said anything about either, but I know they are there.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page