Jpdeuce's basement redo: HT and Family Hang-out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 240 Old 06-14-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so I have lurked here for a long time and have recently begun posting. I'm sure there are people already tired of me and wish I would go back to lurking. Nevertheless, here I am. Thought I would post some pics of my current project. Just moved to a new area and have never had a basement before. I absolutely love it and will have trouble going somewhere without one now.

This basement was finished, so it makes it a little tough to do whatever I want. However, with a hammer and some thinking you can fix most of those issues. The other advantage is wire runs will mostly be going with the direction of the joists...so that is nice too.

The main goal for this basement is going to be our primary family hang out. Half will be for the kids, the other half for TV/movie/sports watching. The first step of this project was to have the washer and dryer moved. Whoever decided to put them in the middle of the basement wasn't thinking clearly. The closet surrounding them took up a bunch of room and it just limited what could be done. So, we moved them. Most of the demo surrounded the purpose of getting that square footage back into the basement. That area will now become a little wet bar area and the house for the media equipment.

I'll start this off with some semi-before, demo, and plan pictures. I should have time to work on the floor this week, so those pics will be coming later as well.

This plan is not set in stone and I am completely willing and capable of adjusting to better ideas along the way. So opinions are welcome.

Link to post with all finished pics

Floorplan:

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 240 Old 06-14-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 240 Old 06-14-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #4 of 240 Old 06-14-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #5 of 240 Old 06-14-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #6 of 240 Old 06-14-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally, here's a little video to show where I am planning on putting all the speakers and what not. This part of the plan is VERY flexible and will likely be determined by what deals I come across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNQHg1XP5ug

post #7 of 240 Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The first part of my equipment came together this weekend. I was literally starting from scratch on the HT part of this project. I had no equipment to contribute. All I knew is I wanted an HD projector. 720 or 1080 didn't matter. I was trying to stick to a $2,000 budget for projector and screen.

I picked this up this weekend, with a very nice fixed frame screen wrapped in velvet and the ceiling mount for just a shade over my budget. Haven't checked the hours on it, but the owner estimated maybe 300.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-VW60.htm

Now a challenge is figuring out how to mount it. As you can see in my plan, I'm thinking about dropping it down behind the soffit so that the lens is just below the soffit. Trying to maximize the already short ceiling.

post #8 of 240 Old 06-14-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So the 2 big outstanding items are the receiver and speakers.

1 - I know I want a receiver than is 7.1 and upconverts everything to HDMI out. I only want one cable running to my projector. Other than that, I don't really care. In fact, the cheaper the better, as long as it can do those 2 things. Would be nice to get one that has the auto room correcting function, but not a deal killer. Been thinking about the Pioneer VSX-919AH or 1019 if I can get a good deal on them.

2 - I have NO CLUE on speakers. As you can see from the plan, in my head I think I want to go complete in wall. I think I can skimp on the side and rear surrounds, but I'd like to go decent with the front and center. I just don't know anything about my options here. I haven't done the research. I'd like to go in-wall because the basement feels crowded as it is, and I'd like to salvage any space I can.

Any input on these 2 items are plenty welcome. Thanks in advance.

post #9 of 240 Old 06-14-2009, 05:56 PM

I just helped my neighbor with his basement we used

Sony STR-DG820 (4 HDMI's and all the new surround options as well as auto cal)

Polk RC85i inwalls for front
Polk CS1 center (not inwall)
Polk RC60i inwalls for rears
HSU sub

I was very very impressed with the overall performance per dollar of this setup. I'm currently working on my plans and am going to use the same components.

Hope this helps a little...shop around for those polk inwalls they can be had cheap.
post #10 of 240 Old 06-15-2009, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRookie View Post

I just helped my neighbor with his basement we used

Sony STR-DG820 (4 HDMI's and all the new surround options as well as auto cal)

Polk RC85i inwalls for front
Polk CS1 center (not inwall)
Polk RC60i inwalls for rears
HSU sub

I was very very impressed with the overall performance per dollar of this setup. I'm currently working on my plans and am going to use the same components.

Hope this helps a little...shop around for those polk inwalls they can be had cheap.

I think you might have just picked my fronts, sides, and surrounds there for me HDRookie...Thanks! Still need to figure something out with center channel and sub. I've heard good things about HSU though. Oh, and can't forget about the receiver.

post #11 of 240 Old 06-15-2009, 06:52 PM

Sounds good...I just bought a Pioneer VSX-919 today for my basement project, decided to try something different from the Sony.

What program did you use to draw up your plans? Looks great
post #12 of 240 Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds good...I just bought a Pioneer VSX-919 today for my basement project, decided to try something different from the Sony.

Yeah, I think I'm leaning that direction, or the 1019. We'll see what prices are like when I am ready to buy.

Quote:

What program did you use to draw up your plans? Looks great

Live Interior 3D
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/...r/overview.php

I love it, and you can whip stuff up quick once you figure out the software a little bit. I love the movie tracks too, where you do the virtual tour of the room. I have several plans for the "new" place, so I sprung for the license for the software. Didn't opt for the "Pro" version though, couldn't tell why I needed it.

post #13 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Looking forward to following along. Can you post a floor plan so we can better understand the space?

post #14 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Looking forward to following along. Can you post a floor plan so we can better understand the space?

Will do, I will update the first post.

post #15 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post

Yeah, I think I'm leaning that direction, or the 1019. We'll see what prices are like when I am ready to buy.

What price are you trying to stay around for your receiver? I came across the 1019 for $425 shipped earlier today
post #16 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, need some professional's help. I don't know where best to put the rear surrounds. I think in ceiling would be real clean looking and a TON easier install, so I would love if that will work. However, I am worried about the sound being shot straight down, instead of angled toward the seating area. Thoughts?

Option 1 (will this work?)

Option 2 (not terrible, but more work for me and I'll be buying 4 different types of speakers for the fronts, center, sides and rears)

Thanks for the input.

post #17 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrredskin View Post

What price are you trying to stay around for your receiver? I came across the 1019 for $425 shipped earlier today

That's not bad at all. I'm trying to get all of the audio for under $1000, but I don't know if that is going to work with a SW. We shall see. Going to depend on the mood of the accountant at the time I need to purchase the stuff, if you know what I mean.

post #18 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

**Floorplan added to first post

post #19 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A number of in-ceiling speakers will let you "aim" the tweeter towards your listening position to help offset the less-than-perfect placement.

What are the dimensions?

Can you add a floorplan of what you are planning (for comparison's sake to previous).

It looks like you have a good space to start with...especially moving the W/D out of the way (and replacing it with a wet bar!)

John
post #20 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

A number of in-ceiling speakers will let you "aim" the tweeter towards your listening position to help offset the less-than-perfect placement.

I used four Speakercraft AIM Wides for my surrounds. Each has aimable forward/back (or side/side or wherever) firing mid/tweeters:

I aimed the side surrounds forward/backward, and the backs side to side like so:

speakercraft install details here if you want to check it out.

The f/l/c are the speakercraft cinemas.

Overall, they were easy to install. The room sound is stunning. If you shop around on the net you should be able to find them at reasonable prices...about half the "common" prices you'll see at most place.
post #21 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

What are the dimensions?

Can you add a floorplan of what you are planning (for comparison's sake to previous).

Here's a floorplan with some dimensions:

post #22 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post

I used four Speakercraft AIM Wides for my surrounds. Each has aimable forward/back (or side/side or wherever) firing mid/tweeters

Those look nice. Why did you choose to aim them that way? For some reason in my head it seems like they should be just the opposite. Also, how far behind the seating are your rear surrounds?

Thanks, I will have to check those out. I would love to have similar speakers in the side and rear.

post #23 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Subfloor is ready to go in. I need a break though, those 3/4" 4'x8' OSB sheets are heavy. 14 of them from the driveway and around back through to the basement. Got my workout for today.

I chose to use the System Platon product for my subfloor. I liked the concept of the Dricore, but I was not excited about having to do another subfloor on top of it, on account of Dricore not recommending you glue to their product. So, I did the next best thing and got the best of both worlds I think. Platon is basically the bottom of a Dricore panel, but it comes in a roll. The rolls come in different dimensions, but I chose the 8'x65' roll that I got for $173 incl tax from my local Certainteed distributor. Here it is:

Here's a closeup of the ridges. The dimples keep the floor off the cement ground, allowing for some circulation. It also allows for enough room to run speaker wire, which is my plan for the front 3 speakers. During the install, I am going to lay string where I want wires. After the floor is installed, and the wire is acquired, I will attach to the string and pull the wires through. Sounds like a good theory right? We shall see if it works.

The install instructions say to install this right up against the walls, and then to leave a gap between your wood subfloor and the walls. I chose to put the previously mentioned 3/4" T&G OSB panels on top of the Platon. It should provide a nice soft warm floor for the basement. Here are the 14 sheets in all their glory. I think I heard them talking about how they kicked my arse, but they shut up when I looked at them harshly.

Once you have the Platon laid out and the OSB on top, you then come back and secure the OSB to the cement floor, through the Platon, with these. They require a pilot hole drilled with a hammer drill, then you drill these down in the hole. This is going to be a real pain that I am not looking forward to. Especially working by myself.

Going to start the subfloor Thursday morning. We shall see how far I can get between Thursday and Friday morning for about 4 hours each.

post #24 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 PM

Liked: 15
In response to your subfloor, I installed dricore in my basement project and my advice to you (even though you are doing something similar to dricore) would be to figure out any high or low spots in your concrete so you won't have any inconsistencies in height.

You don't want your Platon and wood sheets "clicking" together when someone walks over them because of height inconsistencies.

Just a thought.
post #25 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Those look nice. Why did you choose to aim them that way? For some reason in my head it seems like they should be just the opposite. Also, how far behind the seating are your rear surrounds?

Thanks, I will have to check those out. I would love to have similar speakers in the side and rear.

The alignment was recommended by speakercraft. It creates a very nice experience as sound travels around. Imaging your typical "fly over" scene with a well done soundtrack - those sides, getting most of the surround work send that sound from the front to the rear, seamlessly passing it on to the back surrounds, or opposite (fly-back) sending it on to the fronts. Its a truly awesome experience. The crispness of the TrueHD and Master Audio shines through and precisely throws sound all around the room to the exact call of the "conductor" - that would be the video. Cool sheet mahn.

Couches arrive in two weeks so I still have some options for the placement of the "main" one facing the screen. It will be about in between the side surrounds...close to where the old beat up chair is, a bit more foward, which is about 12' from the screen I beleive:

post #26 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschlic View Post

In response to your subfloor, I installed dricore in my basement project and my advice to you (even though you are doing something similar to dricore) would be to figure out any high or low spots in your concrete so you won't have any inconsistencies in height.

You don't want your Platon and wood sheets "clicking" together when someone walks over them because of height inconsistencies.

Just a thought.

I'm hoping that the combination of the Tongue and Groove OSB connecting together into one big panel, and screwing the OSB into the cement, will average out any inconsistencies in the cement. The 4x8 sheets are so big that I think they will do a better job of this than the 2x2 Dricore panels. That wasn't the main reason I chose this route, though I think it will work to my advantage. We shall see.

I don't think there will be any clicking between the Platon and OSB as the OSB will be secured to the cement through the Platon, effectively making them like one big Dricore panel. I'm halfway thinking some adhesive between the 2 would ensure this even more, but that is not included in the Platon install instructions.

I'm going to finish most of the basement before gluing down the cork floor. This should allow some time for me to discover issues with this setup, and fix them, before securing the final floor.

post #27 of 240 Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The alignment was recommended by speakercraft. It creates a very nice experience as sound travels around. Imaging your typical "fly over" scene with a well done soundtrack - those sides, getting most of the surround work send that sound from the front to the rear, seamlessly passing it on to the back surrounds, or opposite (fly-back) sending it on to the fronts. Its a truly awesome experience.

Ahhhhh...ok I see it now. I'm strongly considering the Speakercraft setup you have used (see edit). It's definitely not for their website though...man my head hurts trying to figure that puzzle out. I sent them an email about their website, it was that frustrating for me.

I do like the look and trust your review of the sound. The aimability of them solves almost all of the issues I am trying to figure out with going completely in-wall with my setup. One question for you...does the amount of insulation behind the speaker affect the sound? It looks as if they are all fully enclosed, so I am guessing not.

EDIT - I just looked up the price of the Speakercraft speakers...ummmm...looks like I will have to figure out another solution.

post #28 of 240 Old 06-17-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Ahhhhh...ok I see it now. I'm strongly considering the Speakercraft setup you have used (see edit). It's definitely not for their website though...man my head hurts trying to figure that puzzle out. I sent them an email about their website, it was that frustrating for me.

I do like the look and trust your review of the sound. The aimability of them solves almost all of the issues I am trying to figure out with going completely in-wall with my setup. One question for you...does the amount of insulation behind the speaker affect the sound? It looks as if they are all fully enclosed, so I am guessing not.

EDIT - I just looked up the price of the Speakercraft speakers...ummmm...looks like I will have to figure out another solution.

First off, I agree witht he website issue - over-use of the flash (or whatever) menu system - gets confusing. Poor folks probably paid a lot for that web designer!

As far as insulation, I had several conversations with speakercraft techs about install stuff such as that. Bottom line is they are fully engineered for open aspect of in-wall/ceiling...meaning dont build a box around them...and insultaion is fine to be stuffed up against them. My walls and ceilings are heavily stuffed.

As far as price goes, like I mentioned I was able to find most of mine at half the price of the usual dealers...are you doing 7.1 or 5.1 and what is your speaker budget?
post #29 of 240 Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 618
JP I'm not sure of your string theory. What if it gets bound up under the platon and it won't budge? Any chance of getting a roll of speaker wire ASAP and putting that under the platon from the beginning?

Looks like you are moving with speed.

PROJECTS:

post #30 of 240 Old 06-17-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bottom line is they are fully engineered for open aspect of in-wall/ceiling...meaning dont build a box around them...and insultaion is fine to be stuffed up against them.

That's what it looked like, and good to hear confirmation.

Quote:

As far as price goes, like I mentioned I was able to find most of mine at half the price of the usual dealers...are you doing 7.1 or 5.1 and what is your speaker budget?

I'm doing a 7.1 system. Right now, I don't really care what the sides and surrounds are, but I would like to at least start with some decent front and center speakers. I can always update the sides and surrounds as it makes sense. It would be nice to have a nice front wall though.

I wish I could find a decently priced set of those AIM Cinemas for up front. I could always use a decent Polk in wall center channel, and then figure out something for sides and surrounds. I don't think it will matter much on the sides, as either location I put them will be pretty close to the seating and I'm not that picky.

As far as budget, that is somewhat flexible. I randomly started at about $1000 for audio stuff, including receiver, not including cables/wires. I'm guessing I will be around $400ish for receiver, maybe a little more, if I go with the Pioneer 919 or 1019. I wouldn't mind spending a good percentage of whats left on the fronts, a little on a center, then just buy some cheap sides and surrounds to get me by. I have a leftover HTIB sub that I could use to hold me over too. I'm sure this kind of talk is making some people cringe, but I'm patient and would rather start enjoying the room earlier than waiting on budget. I would also rather spend as little as possible on the temporary part of the solution, so I'm not wasting money.

Long answer to say, I randomly set it at $1000 but that is not in stone, just a flexible target. It does tell you that I'm not willing to drop $5K on speakers though.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page