Cogburn Creek Cinema (Phase 2) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 281 Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well for those of you that tuned into the phase 1 build I appreciate the assistance and the commentary. In order to prevent being Loganed or Hanesometer'd (what exactly is the past tense for Hanesometer?) I cheated and broke my build into phases. Now the phases don't really correspond to anything other than cash flow. Each phase has enough projects to remove any positive balance I have in my bank account.

For those just tunining into my build I'll post a brief overview of Phase 1. Although I hate watching a 30 minute tv show where they spend 10 minutes just showing you what they've already done before the last commercial break.

Screen Wall Before and After

Gameroom & Bar Before and After

Rear of Theater

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 281 Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok so here's the skinny on the phase 2 details. The following projects may or may not be included in their entirety (Procrastination Disclaimer). See it's starting already, I was overly ambitious in including the shower for this phase. I'm really not wanting to make the shower pan and tile the whole shower area, so that'll be Phase III.....

Bar:
front cabinets, sink, dishwaser, sump pump, concrete counters, beverage refrigerator, concrete counters.

Gameroom
Air Hockey Table, concrete "theater bar" top

Playroom
Shelving for closets
Magnetic chalkboard (7' x 5')

My Office
built-in shelves, and desk top

Thanks,

Mike

post #3 of 281 Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I actually worked on some of this over the past weekend. So here's my progress to date.

Air Hockey Table ( my son can't quite reach the table, so he brought his stool down. I need to build a low bench so he'll have more side to side movement)

Closet Shelving, not a hard project but I think I got cut up more from this than anything else I've done around the house...

I think I found a way to get blacker blacks from my projector, what do you think will this work as a DIY Screen?

Ok just kidding, that's the first layer of chalk board paint covering 8 coats of magnetic primer. They suggested 3 thin coats, but that didn't hold anything so 8 coats later and now the magnets stay put.

Thanks,

Mike

post #4 of 281 Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

In order to prevent being Loganed or Hanesometer'd (what exactly is the past tense for Hanesometer?) I cheated and broke my build into phases.

Mike,

What's all this talk about Phases?!?! Phases?!? What are you - some sort of rocket ship?!

I know - you thought you could shake me that easily, just by opening a new thread, right?! HA! I'm not so easily shaken. Stirred, yes - but not shaken! And with a twist of lime, please!

How could you be so insensitive? Do you have any idea how many of us, I mean - how many folks there are around here who can't come close to finishing the dreaming phase, much less the building phase, and you have the audacity to start Phase II and even begin talking about Phase III?!

You leave me no choice. I'm off to track down the dreaded Hanesometer, as I have no doubt that I will be needing it soon! I think I left it up in the attic, behind the Christmas stuff ...

Phases! Why I oughta ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #5 of 281 Old 06-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok just kidding, that's the first layer of chalk board paint covering 8 coats of magnetic primer. They suggested 3 thin coats, but that didn't hold anything so 8 coats later and now the magnets stay put.

We gave up on the magnetic paint. Wasn't holding anything. So I went with sheet metal, then painted that with the chalkboard paint. That turned out much better and all magnets hold strong. Hope it works out better for you.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
post #6 of 281 Old 06-29-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post

So I went with sheet metal, then painted that with the chalkboard paint. That turned out much better and all magnets hold strong. Hope it works out better for you.

I'm way too lazy to find a 7 x 5 piece of sheet metal. Maybe I'm just too stubborn, but 8 coats (two cans) of the magnetic primer and it seems to work fine. I definitely noticed a big difference in the holding power of the two seperate cans. I checked the magnets after each coat and noticed after the first coat from the second can there was a huge difference in holding the magnets in place. It may have been the 4th coat of paint as well. I'm not sure if one brand is better than others, but we used the Rustoleum product.

Thanks,

Mike

post #7 of 281 Old 06-29-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I know - you thought you could shake me that easily, just by opening a new thread, right?! HA! I'm not so easily shaken. Stirred, yes - but not shaken! And with a twist of lime, please!

I thought I was as safe as a tick on a dog with a stiff neck.

Thanks,

Mike

post #8 of 281 Old 06-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm way too lazy to find a 7 x 5 piece of sheet metal. Maybe I'm just too stubborn, but 8 coats (two cans) of the magnetic primer and it seems to work fine. I definitely noticed a big difference in the holding power of the two seperate cans. I checked the magnets after each coat and noticed after the first coat from the second can there was a huge difference in holding the magnets in place. It may have been the 4th coat of paint as well. I'm not sure if one brand is better than others, but we used the Rustoleum product.

Well it makes sense that the more layers the better, because the more of the suspended minerals that make it magnetic get spread around. I just didn't have the patience to see how many layers it was going to take. I think we used the same product and it suggests to keep stirring the material too, to keep those minerals mixed up real good.

I had a much smaller space to work with, not sure what I would have done on that big of a space.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
post #9 of 281 Old 06-29-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well here I sit reading the forums.... I keep meaning to write that while the magnetic primer is working, I don't think it has anywhere near the strength of actual sheet metal.

I have one more coat of the chalkboard paint to apply, and then I can start framing it out in the next couple of days.

I'm going to tackle the concrete counters this weekend. Starting small with a 2' x 2' top for a table. Not sure where I'll put it, or what the legs will look like, but like mmeister suggested in his thread Making Concrete Bar Tops start small and practice. I can't have just one table so I guess I'll make two, but one at a time for practice. I'll post pictures of my attempt at his process as well. Wish me luck!

Thanks,

Mike

post #10 of 281 Old 07-06-2009, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Small progress over the weekend.

Ordered the concrete polisher and pads.
Ordered the Bar Sink.
Bought the dishwasher for the bar (should be delivered today)
Built 4 sawhorses to support the concrete molds.

Gratuitous Wood pile picture (so I started small, I'll work my way up to larger piles)

Completed sawhorses pictures

Thanks,

Mike

post #11 of 281 Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Wood Pile $20.00
Dewalt Circular Saw $100.00
a Dodge mobile tailgate sawhorse combo - PRICELESS !!!

Nice Sawhorses - these should be more than strong enough!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #12 of 281 Old 07-06-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Wood Pile $20.00
Dewalt Circular Saw $100.00
a Dodge mobile tailgate sawhorse combo - PRICELESS !!!

Nice Sawhorses - these should be more than strong enough!

Kicking myself for not leading the post with that! I honestly never thought twice about using the tailgate, it's the right height...

You know you're a Redneck if, your tailgate doubles as a mobile sawhorse.

Thanks,

Mike

post #13 of 281 Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Kicking myself for not leading the post with that! I honestly never thought twice about using the tailgate, it's the right height...

You know you're a Redneck if, your tailgate doubles as a mobile sawhorse.

Could be worse >> You could be nicknamed "Cuzed".....

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #14 of 281 Old 07-07-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Whoo Hooo! Two deliveries today, first was the dishwasher for the bar. Second was the undercounter mounted sink for the bar. Although now that the sink is here I think I went too big...

The concrete polisher and pads shipped today so hopefully they'll be here by this weekend. I'll still start on the test pours this weekend anyway since they need to cure for three days. I can't wait to see if the color comes out as dark as I hope. I'm still debating on what to add into the concrete (if anything).

Thanks,

Mike

post #15 of 281 Old 07-10-2009, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got my Wet Polisher last night, so it looks like all systems are a go to start making some concrete tests this weekend.

My goal is to experiment with the process, color, polishing, and maybe some inserts...

Here's the Wet Polisher I bought on Ebay

Thanks,

Mike

post #16 of 281 Old 07-10-2009, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's a few pictures of the other project going on at the moment. I'm adding built-in bookcases and a long table top. Working from home I had to do something to get organized. I have too many technical references and computers not to be organized. It's been driving me NUTZ! I guess I'm just a little too CDO (That's OCD in alphabetical order). The pictures are not the best, just quick snaps from the blackberry..

Thanks,

Mike

post #17 of 281 Old 07-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:

I got my Wet Polisher last night, so it looks like all systems are a go to start making some concrete tests this weekend.

My goal is to experiment with the process, color, polishing, and maybe some inserts...

Here's the Wet Polisher I bought on Ebay

I think I saw this on on ebay and it was at a good price. Now I'm interested in how well that one works.

If you want to try inserts there are some "rules of thumb"- If it's big silicone it down. Small glass and rocks- either use a spray adhesive and dust the mold and drop them on or drop them in with nothing sprayed but add twice the amount you want to show because you will lose half when you vibrate it out. I've also heard of people using Elmer's glue- mixing and dropping in. Let me know if you get stuck at any point!

If at first you do succeed- try to hide your astonishment.

My Concrete Counter Build!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1151574
post #18 of 281 Old 07-10-2009, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeister View Post

I think I saw this on on ebay and it was at a good price. Now I'm interested in how well that one works.

If you want to try inserts there are some "rules of thumb"- If it's big silicone it down. Small glass and rocks- either use a spray adhesive and dust the mold and drop them on or drop them in with nothing sprayed but add twice the amount you want to show because you will lose half when you vibrate it out. I've also heard of people using Elmer's glue- mixing and dropping in. Let me know if you get stuck at any point!

I'll be sure to let you know my impressions of the polisher. I hadn't intended on spending that much but my wife has added several projects to the list so hopefully it'll stand up to the tasks.

I haven't even planned on what type of inserts to use. I'm thinking I may try a leaf, saw done in Cheng's book and looked kinda cool. I do think for the bar tops I'll order the fossil's from his site. The circular pattern ties into the arches and barrel ceiling..

Thanks,

Mike

post #19 of 281 Old 07-10-2009, 10:03 AM

Thats funny- My wife added several projects on me too! I'll need a water feed polisher also, although the hose/sprayer worked fine for mine.

Leaves would look great and 3m spray adhesive would hold it well to the mold.

post #20 of 281 Old 07-11-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Pssst ... Guys ... shhh .... over here, but keep it on the down low, and let me know if you see any wives heading this way.

See, here's the thing, now that you're finally in one of my areas of expertise. If you finish all your projects promptly and competently OF COURSE the wife is going to add more projects to your honey do list - duh?!

But if your projects never really end, or at least not in any way that can be used, then not only will you not see new projects added to your list but she will start looking for excuses for you not to start anything new, and just continue to tactfully ask you if you think the family will ever be able to use the basement again before the kids are all grown and move away. Works great!

At least that's what I hear works. Maybe I read about a guy like that or something. But mums the word - you didn't hear it from me!

P.S. Mike - Nice bookcase & table top, but it looks like what you really need is a table dedicated solely to holding your pop bottles! I hope you have a bathroom close by to your office!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #21 of 281 Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok so no concrete yet, I have all the supplies except time. This past weekend was spent reassembling the office. I'm still waiting for the doors to the built-ins, they were outsourced. I can't tell you how awesome it is to be organized again. Here's a few quick BB shots..

(EDIT) I'm really going to have to replace these with better shots... (EDIT)

Thanks,

Mike

post #22 of 281 Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The fridge arrived yesterday. We decided just to go with a Stainless Steel upright, cheap fridge from Sears. However, since I hadn't planned on a regular fridge I didn't run water to the location so no ice maker or water in the door.... I knew I should have just to be safe. Oh well, I'm not above filling ice trays the old fashioned way.

My progress for the next week has come to a standstill. I had hoped to begin making the concrete counter test pours this weekend. However, I have a certification test to take next Thursday so I'll be studying all weekend. How's that for procrastination, I took the class in January and scheduled the test with 2 days to spare before the expiration date. Somedays I hate being in IT....

Thanks,

Mike

post #23 of 281 Old 07-15-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I kind of wish I had an ice maker (it's close enough to the sink where I could probably still do it)... but I was too cheap to get the upgrade in the fridge. It was like $300.

In retrospect, we use more ice in the theater than upstairs typically. Thankfully we have an ice maker upstairs, so I just truck down a tray of cubes every few days
post #24 of 281 Old 07-15-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Hello Fellow 'Cane! BSC '94. Nice to see another one around here!

Great Build btw. Love the stonework around the screen.

Mark
post #25 of 281 Old 07-15-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

I kind of wish I had an ice maker (it's close enough to the sink where I could probably still do it)... but I was too cheap to get the upgrade in the fridge. It was like $300.

In retrospect, we use more ice in the theater than upstairs typically. Thankfully we have an ice maker upstairs, so I just truck down a tray of cubes every few days

I figured worst case I can buy a couple bags of ice to keep in the freezer. In a really tough spot we too have an icemaker upstairs.

Thanks,

Mike

post #26 of 281 Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santora View Post

Hello Fellow 'Cane! BSC '94. Nice to see another one around here!

Great Build btw. Love the stonework around the screen.

Mark

WHOOOHOOO!! I was starting to think I was the only one here. MBA '06

Now are you excited about this football season, or are you waiting for 2010?

Thanks,

Mike

post #27 of 281 Old 07-26-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok so GWAPT certification test is out of the way. Yipee I'm a Certified Web Application Pentetration Tester now (whopee). That's a fancy term for employed hacker.

I actually made some progress this weekend and got my garage cleaned out and organized. Which then allowed me to create my first mold for a test "concrete counter". I'll spare you all the details of the step-by-step since MMEISTER provided most excellent documentation in his thread. (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1151574).

So here's my first pour. Roughly 26" x 26" and 2.5" deep. I didn't think it would hold an entire 80 pound bag, but it did. So this is 1 x 80 pound bag of Quickrete 5000 and two bottles of black concrete colorant. One bottle still left it looking a dark gray, and I wanted a deep black. Two bottles per 1 bag looks like it'll do the trick. So in three day's I'll tear off the mold and see how well I did... here's hoping!

Thanks,

Mike

post #28 of 281 Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Is this just a 2x4 frame? Things are looking good. Been a while since I looked in on you and I am very impressed. I read the concrete counter thread and it was quite intriguing to me. I am curious how you framed this out and if you used rebar etc? I may do this with my back bar area

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #29 of 281 Old 07-27-2009, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Is this just a 2x4 frame? Things are looking good. Been a while since I looked in on you and I am very impressed. I read the concrete counter thread and it was quite intriguing to me. I am curious how you framed this out and if you used rebar etc? I may do this with my back bar area

The frame is melamine covered mdf. Apparently you have to use that to prevent the moisture from the concrete causing the wood to swell and change the shape of your form. I did not use rebar in this slab, it's really just a test slab to check color, consistency, and practice the grinding/polishing process.

I plan on doing a couple of these "Stepping stones or end tables" until I'm comfortable with the entire process. The next test will have rebar embedded so I can see how that's done. My bar area will have two tops around 91" (one with a sink) and one more that will be around 72" so I defiantly need to figure out the rebar piece.

Thanks,

Mike

post #30 of 281 Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 AM

Mike,

Test top looks great. Did you get a lot of bubbles to come to the top with the mallet, or did you use the ol' sawzall? The 91" top will be two pieces or are you building two 91" tops? If so you may want to break it down to two pieces because a 91" top will be in the 350lbs range. I calculate four 80lbs concrete and one bag of sand for a 91" top. Doable but hard to move and may crack.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page