Need Help With New System Including Selection of In-Wall Passive Sub and Amplifier - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please Help,

I've been collecting the pieces for our home theater/music system for the last year and now it is down to the subwoofer/amp before I start installing. I have put this system together on a tight budget off ebay (as you can probably tell from the equipment list below) The system is primarily going to be used for my two teenagers and their friends for television/movies, xbox, and music (mp3s from a PC through an optical toslink cable).

Acoustics: The room is 12' by 23' with french doors and windows at each end. Of the remaining two walls, one is solid drywall since it faces the garage. The other wall faces the main portion of the house and has two doors. The wall that adjoins the garage will be the "rear" of the system and I plan on installing the subwoofer on this wall. Since it shares a wall with the garage, space is not an issue for the amplifier.

Current equipment (still in boxes) and how I believe they will be used:
A/V Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 635
Front Speakers: JBL Soundpoint SP6CII
Center Channel: Infinity ERSH V250
Surround Speakers: JBL Soundpoint SP6CII
Rear Speakers: JBL Soundpoint SP8CII

I'll be running 12 gauge speaker wire for all the connections
I'll run RG6 with RCAs for the subwoofer amp connection

Questions: I would like to stick with the in-wall configuration and install an in-wall passive sub with separate amplifier. I can only afford to purchase "pre-owned" equipment and have been looking at eBay to try to find compatible equipment. I have tried to do as much research as possible but now need answers to some questions that may seem basic, but I just don't know.

 Should I be looking for a subwoofer in the 12" range powered by a 200 wall (or higher) amplifier?

 Many people are selling plate amplifiers for either DIY kits or that have been removed from free standing subwoofer boxes. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to using a standard subwoofer amplifier over a plate amp? What are the pros/cons of each?

 When looking at amps and passive subs, I see that the impedance of different subwoofers can be either 4 ohm, 6 ohm, or 8 ohm. The amplifiers' WILL LIST 8 ohm and 4 ohm. This is the question that will make me sound stupid, but will any subwoofer amplifier run any subwoofer, or do you have to match them up based upon the Impedance rating of the subwoofer?

 I need to stay under $300 total for the amp and subwoofer. I've been looking at used Dayton, JBL, Velodyne, NHT, Eosone Polk, and M&K amplifiers. I've seen several of the Eosone Polk and M&K surplus plate amps lately on eBay. As far as subwoofers, I'm staying away from the low budget stuff and just waiting it out for a higher quality used one to show up at a good price.

Please help. Also, please offer suggestions if you feel I am doing something wrong with the equipment I currently have.

Thanks,

----Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Are you building the sub enclosure(s) yourself in the wall?

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
post #3 of 4 Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post

Are you building the sub enclosure(s) yourself in the wall?

I can build the enclosure in the wall if necessary. I guess I thought the in-wall sub would come with an enclosure. If not (or if you are going to suggest i purchase the driver by itself and build an enclosure with your (or others on this forum's) input/experience I would be very happy to do so if it saves me money!! If this is the case, the wall that the sub will be installed into backs uo to my garage, so the possibilities are endless for the size or configuration of the enclosure. I am also pretty capable at construction (or have a couple of friends that are in the business that would be more than happy to help), but am weak when it comes to electronics design (as you may be able to tell from my questions about the ohms matching for the sub and amp). I know that I may sound long winded, but i know from other posts that the more information, the better.
Thanks,
---Walt
post #4 of 4 Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

After doing research for a similar setup, I'm only suggesting that this is the only way you are going to get what you are looking for and come in under your budget. Subs (decent ones) are expensive, and when you are looking at a sub and a separate amp, even more expensive. Also, I would not expect the secondary market for in-wall subs to be overflowing with options. I'm sure you did well on your other items, but I can't imagine there are a lot of choices out there. It's just not a common setup (i don't think).

Take a look at the sub-forum focused on DIY speaker builds. I'm sure they could help you with a setup for an enclosure for your sub(s). If you have access behind that wall, I assume that will help you. I imagine your best bet will be a tall enclosure that fits between your studs (this is what I have seen with prefab in-wall sub enclosures). You might be better off with a few small subs (regarding the depth of the speaker) for fitting it in a wall.

There's tons of resources on here, so I'm sure you can figure out the best setup for what you are trying to do. You might find your best bet is a sub in a box that you can put in the room somewhere though. I would bet there is a way bigger secondary market for that.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page