The April Fools Flood Procrasto-Budget Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So after over year since I awoke April 1st 2008 and walked downstairs to find 5 inches of water in my basement caused by...

And....

Which led to my basement looking like this (after the water was removed)...

Ok it was kinda a mess before the flood. When looking at the above pictures, bare in mind that these are taken at about 4pm, at 8am the water levels were about 4-6 times higher. There was a 6 inch river flowing against the side of my house.

So over the last year I decided I would redo the basement, which is was in the plans anyways. But as per every basement remodel, every time I took something down I found something I did not like; cracked foundation, 2x3 shody construction, mold, etc.

With a 1 year old running around and a very busy schedule, not much got done. I removed all the drywall, insulation, and framing. Then after some research and debating, I had a foundation guy come in and inject the cracks with polyurethane foam (the largest expense so far). Then I laid down the System Platon Flooring and then started with the foam board insulation. I fit 1.5" Foam Board in all the headers between the joists and then sealed them with foam adhesive caulking. Then I glued shiplap foam board 2'x8' sheets to the walls and glued the joints. When I finished that I taped all the shiplap joints.

That brings me up to recent history, at this time I should tell you I have paid for most everything (exept the crack injection)so far using Airmiles points to buy giftcards, or gift cards from x-mas etc from relatives. My wife lost her job at the start of this year and things are going slowly.

Recently while mulling over my floorplan I came across this website, and started to rethink (plans to be posted soon).

This is the current state of the basement as I begin to start thinking about framing:

Mess

Still a mess

The wall I want to paint for the screen...

The area at the back that is covered in blue foam will be the 11' x 20' approx. theatre area. I am still working out the details of the bathroom, laundry area, storage and office.

The equipement I have to start with are (by memory because its all packed away in the garage):

Marantz AV550 Pre-amp
Marantz VP4001 720P Projector
PSB 800 Front Speakers
Bose Studio Monitors for rears
PS3
Logitech Pro Force Feedback Steering Wheel
Sony 300 Disc DVD Changer

I intend on getting a used or budget projector and paint an approximately 110" Screen. My goal is to have a family friendly setup for PS3 (and possible Wii), with considerations for racing seat for GT5. My goal is to be setup by the time GT5 is released, so I have anywhere from 4 months to 4 years to finish

CURRENT 3D LAYOUT:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 05:09 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Did you do anything about the exterior drainage or are you hoping that sealing all the cracks you can find will keep future floods out of the basement?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

The exterior drainage is ok, could use a couple tweaks but the main issue revolved around the storm drain at the walking trail behind my house, the drifts in the back yard, 2 days of steady rain, inproper routing of my sump pump drain and the fact the town had not plowed the trail letting the water flow through my back yard. It was a tri-fecta of bad conditions that lead to the flood.

We had a couple people in our neighbourhood have issues this year however my fixes seemed to have worked. I also ran my garden hose on problem spots for an hour with out issue.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitSehT View Post

My goal is to be setup by the time GT5 is released, so I have anywhere from 4 months to 4 years to finish

Tough luck with the flooding. Glad to see you bouncing back and making the best of it with a basement remodel. I had a similar unexpected start to my build, although mine was mold related. Hope you've had some landscaping review to minimize the chances of anything like that happening again. I know the odds are against it, but you really don't want to put in all the time and effort and money only to see another 100 year event happening in a few years!

BTW, nice woodpile - had 'er long? I kinda have a thing for woodpiles.

It's complicated.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

I had a good time reading your UN-Theater Build Thread, mold is a b*tch, we had a bit that the insurance company cleaned up.

You like my pile eh? I took the first to pieces off tonight to mark stud locations on the header and footer. I need to get a hammer drill tomorrow so I can get going!

In tearing apart my basement I found 2 HVAC connections going into the garage (our house was the model home, the two car garage apparently had sales info in it). These vents were leaking into the walls as they were poorly sealed. I sealed off the one but left the other with a removable face plate for now, it acts as great little passage for 2x4's! So it took me about 10 min. to load the wood pile into the basement.....about 2 months ago
Old 08-07-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

I know absolutely zero about projectors, has anyone recessed their PJ into the ceiling so just the bare essentials is poking out? Can it be done without obstructing the image?I was think about making a pocket between the joists.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

I went to HD last night looking at Hammer Drills and decided to go with an 18V cordless B&D. Went to the B&D outlet today and got it for $80 off

Wood Pile beware!!!

And I picked up this silly toy because it was 80% of at $10 and last night I could not find a clamp anywhere in the house. It is either going to be really cool or another piece of junk

Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Got a bit of work done today but I caught my sub-contractor lying down on the job...

Taped off the spray foam between the sheets and the platon

Had to watch a bit of the Top Gear marathon on BBC

Took a little chunk out of the woodpile, I kept braking tapcons so I took them back and got shorter ones thanks to the tips in a thread I can not seem to find right now.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I kept braking tapcons so I took them back and got shorter ones thanks to the tips in a thread I can not seem to find right now.

That would be mine. Glad it helped you out. I hope it saved you the few days it took me to figure that whole deal out.

Project is looking good so far. Do you have a plan for all your equipment? If I had open walls, I sure would be running conduit or flex vacuum pipe or something in certain locations for running wire.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks jp! I stupidly kept trying to use the 3 1/4" tapcons even though I had already read your thread. I got fed up after an hour and went and re-read it and zipped over to HD.

I am planning to run pipe (pvc pipe we run at work hopefully) down both sides of the room through the soffits I will be building. I am going to put "T" intersection parallel to where the projector is going to be so I can branch off hdmi etc and then pull speaker wire etc to the back or front of the room. I was actually planning on this before I found this site, the info I read here only solidified it. I am going to try to put up a floor plan soon to explain better.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 AM

How did you fare with that storm last night? Hopefully you avoided any further flooding...

B
Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Funny you should mention that.....1/2 hour after the power went out the water alarm went of in the basement (great investment of $15) the sump pit was getting full and the "fixed" crack behind it was seeping slightly). The sump pit was filling mostly from the AC drain since it was so humid yesterday though. After I hand bailed the pit, it did not refill even though it was pouring outside.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Temporary basement layout!

Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 PM

enjoy the build. can't quite tell from the pics, are those floor plates PT?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:45 PM

What flooring are you doing? Are you going to put OSB on the Platon, and what thickness are you thinking about?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm5 - no the footers are not PT, with the foam and the platon they are seperated from possible mositure (in hindsight I was going to use PT any way but I wanted to get started).

BhUTTMAN (all i see when I look at your name is butt man) - I am going to do a min. 5/8" (possibly 3/4") OSB as recommended as min. if putting in a pool table (which I am not but want that kind of support).
Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am planning to run pipe (pvc pipe we run at work hopefully) down both sides of the room through the soffits I will be building. I am going to put "T" intersection parallel to where the projector is going to be so I can branch off hdmi etc and then pull speaker wire etc to the back or front of the room. I was actually planning on this before I found this site, the info I read here only solidified it. I am going to try to put up a floor plan soon to explain better.

As a suggestion, just try to avoid 90 degree intersections. It will make it easier on you pulling wire down the road if there is some bend in it.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

I was going to try using double 45's were possible or large curves if they even make them.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Layout Revised - Added Screen wall with storage behind, bathroom and plumbing info

I want to possibly either have a swinging or roll up screen so I can access some storage cabinets or doors. With this setup I can put a AV unit by the HVAC or in the cabinet by the bathroom.

Comments and suggestions are more then welcome!!

I want to change the bathroom, office and laundry but I am limited by the plumbing. I want keep with the toilet location but most the room location can shift.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:

BhUTTMAN (all i see when I look at your name is butt man)

Pretty common - I've been called much worse.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuttman View Post

Pretty common - I've been called much worse.

I'm a butt man, too.

Was that too much information?

Mike
Old 08-11-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yes....too much info.

I was thinking about doing the door to the bathroom on a 45 degree angle but it migh make things tight in there. I am going to have to measure my upstairs bathroom and see how it compares.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there any way you can make the width of the room a bit wider, gitSehT?

I ask because the theatre room in my main house in Vaughan is about the same width as the one your planning, and I find it's a bit narrow for seating.

I learned my lesson building that one when I built this one, in Wasaga Beach.

Just say no to cable.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

I want to have a bathroom down there and all the plumbing is under the beam (indicated in Blue on the layout). I want to avoid moving this due to the expense and general pain in the ass factor. I was considering going with a "L" Sectional on the out side wall and a recliner on the bathroom side.

If anyone can help with the layout it would be appreciated!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want to have a bathroom down there and all the plumbing is under the beam (indicated in Blue on the layout). I want to avoid moving this due to the expense and general pain in the ass factor. I was considering going with a "L" Sectional on the out side wall and a recliner on the bathroom side.

If anyone can help with the layout it would be appreciated!

Ah, lol, how ironic. It only became an issue for me when I changed the seating from an "L" shaped sectional to row seating.

Just say no to cable.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update:

I did a bit more framing on the back wall, very little, not a lot of spare time right now.

Re-checked some dimensions and had some new ideas regarding the stairs and the storage/freezer room at the bottom of the stairs. I am thinking about doing a small landing and a single step down to increase the storage area.

I think I need more space around my furnace, I need to recheck its size and rethink the layout.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Doh, just spent an hour reading threads on here when I could have been working on the basement. Got some more framing done earlier today, not enough to warrant a pic though.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Went away on vacation last week, got a little framing done before and after the trip to Clevland and Cedar Point.

Did I mention that I procrastonate? I will get some pics up soon.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Did I mention that I procrastonate? I will get some pics up soon.

No. But I imagine you meant to and were planning on doing it just as soon as you got around to it.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Looking good so far. Floods suck. I just went through it so I know how you feel. How do you like that B&D hammer drill? I need to get one. Also good info about the tapcons Jpdeuce