To-Be-Named Simple Basement Build - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 185 Old 10-16-2009, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow - I just did a bit of research on the a3-300, and it's going on the short list! Front-firing (which I need since I am putting it in my equipment room behind a grate), and some good feedback online. Will be interested in your impressions when you get it!

Cheers,
B

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 185 Old 10-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Bravo cult_daddy,

Awesome job from start to finish. now i need to get off my lazy back and do teh same. question on the SAMSUNG LN40B640. I just bought the same and have a wall mount. I have the power outlet in the back of the tv for a clean look similar to yours. problem is I cannot plug the cord in the outlet as there does not seem to be enough clearance between tv and wall with pronged end of cord directly in back of tv. did you encounter the same?

very much appreciate your feedback. again, awesome job. may you and your family enjoy for many years to come!
post #33 of 185 Old 10-19-2009, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hey TVHead. Thanks for the kind words. It has been a fun but frustrating project at times. I did have a little difficulty with some of the wiring, but my main problem was with the HDMI. I put the outlets for both the power and HDMI (CAT5 as well since I have that going to the TV) located right in the middle of the mount. I bought a low profile mount from BB (had I done it again I would get one from Monoprice for about 1/4 the BB price, but I wasn't aware that Monoprice had mounts at the time), and it barely gives me the clearance for the cables on back. I actually broke one of my monoprice HDMI because there wasn't enough clearance. But with the power cord, it does barely fit. Granted it is at pretty much a 90 degree angle once the cable comes out the prong housing or whatever you call it. If I were to do it again, I would probably get a tilting mount or at least a standard mount in order to get a little more clearance on the back side than the low profile provides.

Good luck with your project and get some pictures up so we can all check it out.

Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 185 Old 10-20-2009, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Well I placed the order on Friday morning and my new sub arrived yesterday morning. Amazing turnaround considering the free shipping. Now for a few pictures of the new addition to the family.

The first one is the box that showed up. My mother-in-law watches my daughter at our house during the day, so she was home for the delivery. She said the poor FedEx guy was really struggling with it. Here is the box with my daughter next to it for some perspective. It was pretty massive.

After struggling to get it down the stairs to the basement, here it sits just waiting to be freed.

Good packing job. They even tape the power cord to one of the styrofoam corner blocks to prevent it from rattleing around.

Ready for extraction. Good thing I have a strong back, although it may be shot after lifting this thing out.

In it's new home. This may not be where it ultimately ends up after I do the "sub crawl" this weekend, but for now there it sits. Since I had sub outs prewired into the same plates as the L & R outs it was simply a matter of plugging in the power and then plugging in the RCA cable.

I ran the auto set-up on the H/K (I've been wanting to do that for a while, but I needed the .1 before it would allow me to run it. I goosed up the level on the sub from where the auto set it just because I really wanted to see what it could do. I pulled out my Dark Knight bluray and popped it in. I went to every scene from the waterfall thread and let that sucker play. Oh boy, was that fun. My wife was up stairs in the family room above. After I got done screwing around I went up there and she said the whole floor was shaking . And I didn't even have everything turned up to where I'd like to watch it as my daughter was already in bed. Although I did have it pretty loud. Fortunately though she didn't seem to stir at all, so I may be able to run it closer to what I'd like to even when she's sleeping. Good thing she's on the second floor and I'm in the basement.

My initial impressions are great. Although this is the first surround system and subwoofer I've ever owned so I don't have much to compare to and anything would be an upgrade. I'll have to shoot over to the sub forum and find out what kind of tweaks I should be looking to do.

One slight problem was that I did not receive the grill. It was supposed to ship in a different box and the FedEx tracking for it still says "Initiated" but not yet been picked up. So I'll have to give eD a call this morning when they open up.

What does everyone think? Any suggestions on placement or set-up advice for a noob?

Scott

post #35 of 185 Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Samsung LN40B640 LCD TV

PS3 for the gaming and blu-ray

Harman/Kardon AVR 254 7.1 Receiver

TSC TSBL L & R Speakers

TSC TC2 Center Channel

TSC TSS-B Dipolar Surrounds

TSC TSAT-1000SB Rears

Elemental Designs A3-300 Sub

Scott

post #36 of 185 Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Just spoke with Alex and he said that there was a slight issue with the grills but they should be shipping out later this week. He mentioned that they felt it was better to ship the sub without the grill rather than wait to ship the sub and grill together. He was 100% correct. Kudos to eD and the team in IA. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a great sub.

Scott

post #37 of 185 Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Well, now that I've got this thread up to the present, I thought I would start listing some of the items I still have left in my head that I'd like to do. This is going to be a total mind dump and will in no way be true to the order that I want to accomplish these tasks in, just the order that they pop into my head.

- Finish the left cubby area next to the TV. I would like to get a Middle Atlantic Slim 5 or a DIY rack system of some kind in there. In the pictures you may have noticed a cable or two hanging down from the ceiling in that area. That is because I didn't put any ceiling tiles there because I planned on cutting that cubby area off similarly to what I did on the right side with the bookshelf. What I need to figure out however is exactly what to do there. Do I do another rotating bookshelf type thing in order to get behind the equipment, or do I do a permanent rack and leave a space to get behind and cover that space with a removable panel of some kind? Not quite sure. I like the idea of having symmetry with the other side, but I also really like what YW84U did in this. Anyone have any thoughts?

- Finish the stairs. I'm thinking of just doing oak treads and risers on the stairs. But what do I do with the stringers? Cover them with some 1/4" oak ply, rip everything out and start new? Just not sure yet. Looking for suggestions.

- Trim the window. I only have one window in the finished area. It is an egress window and I would like to keep it's functionality. But how do I finish it? It has a nasty looking metal casing (I guess that's what you would call it), so I was thinking I might just make a wood carcass and attach the trim to the front of the carcass and it would just sit via friction inside the window well. That way, if I or any of my family ever needed to use the window for a quick escape, then you just pull out the whole wood carcass and then you can pull out the window.

- Projector and screen. I really want a projector and screen down there to get a bigger picture. My wife actually just commented last night that I need a bigger screen down there. She suggested that I take the 52" from the family room and swap it out. Sometimes she does get it . But rather than just a bigger LCD, I want a front projector. What I still need to figure out however, is:
1) Do I want a drop down screen that would come down in front of the LCD? This would allow me to use the LCD for everyday viewing and only use the projector for movie night or sporting events. This would help prolong the life of the bulbs in the projector from not having to cycle it on and off if I just want to watch a show or two at night after work.
or
2) Do I want to pull down the LCD and put up a fixed frame screen? This would allow me to go a little bigger on the screen as I could take up the entire wall and not be limited on the width by the case of a drop down screen. This would also be cheaper as I would likely attempt a DIY screen. This would also lessen the possibility of the waviness that is sometimes found on non-tensioned drop down screens. Another advantage is that then I could use the LCD somewhere else in the house. Maybe in the bedroom or even in the bar area. The negative with this option is the benefit of the first, I would have to cycle it on and off frequently thereby reducing the bulb life and having to replace bulbs often. Now that I think about it think about, if I move the LCD to the bar area, I could just do my standard viewing from there. hmmm

- Install the pool table light and finally finish the ceiling tiles. This one is easy, I just need to save up them money to purchase the light. I already have the final tile painted and ready to install, so once I get the light, this is a gimme.

- Finish the pool table. I have most of the body sanded and ready to go, but I still need to strip the rails. Then I have to stain (or however I'm going to finish everything), install new rail sights, install new bumpers, get the three slate pieces from my grandparent's house, level it, put on new felt. None of which I've ever done before. Should be a fun challenge.

- Build a drink ledge in the pool table area similar to what CuznEddy did here. Unfortunately I didn't have the forethought to put in a metal beam to span the are, but I think I could still come up with something that would work.

- Build a riser. I'd like to build a riser for the second row. I'm thinking I'd like to have a bar attached to the back with some stools. Not only would this provide extra seating for the theater area, but it could be used for seating for the pool table as well. I'd like to light it with some ropelight or some LEDs or something. And I also tossed around the idea of making it a big basstrap.

- Build a wet bar. This is the biggest project left to be completed. I have tons of ideas for this, and it will be a major undertaking. I also want to include a kegerator. I have plans that I intend to base my design off of, but there will be a ton of trial and error I think.

If anyone has any ideas or links to good threads that would help me out with any of the above listed projects, I'm all ears.

Scott

post #38 of 185 Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM

Good to hear your feedback on the eD. I'm probably about a week away from my equipment purchases, and that sub is leading. I am leaning towards Atlantic Technology in-walls and in-ceilings, but the sub from them is at least $1200 and it looks like the eD is on par from a stats and reviews perspective.

Cheers,
B

post #39 of 185 Old 10-22-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Cult Daddy;

Lots of decisons to be made;
*** a few comments, see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult_Daddy View Post

- Finish the stairs. I'm thinking of just doing oak treads and risers on the stairs. But what do I do with the stringers? Cover them with some 1/4" oak ply, rip everything out and start new? Just not sure yet. Looking for suggestions.

*** Depends on how much "wall" you want to have in your stairwell..?
Easiest route might be to add 1/4" stained ply or veneeer to the edge and face of the existing stringers..?

- Trim the window. I only have one window in the finished area. It is an egress window and I would like to keep it's functionality. But how do I finish it? It has a nasty looking metal casing (I guess that's what you would call it), so I was thinking I might just make a wood carcass and attach the trim to the front of the carcass and it would just sit via friction inside the window well. That way, if I or any of my family ever needed to use the window for a quick escape, then you just pull out the whole wood carcass and then you can pull out the window.

*** Please keep that egress window fully functional !!

- Projector and screen. I really want a projector and screen down there to get a bigger picture. My wife actually just commented last night that I need a bigger screen down there. She suggested that I take the 52" from the family room and swap it out. Sometimes she does get it . But rather than just a bigger LCD, I want a front projector. What I still need to figure out however, is:
1) Do I want a drop down screen that would come down in front of the LCD? This would allow me to use the LCD for everyday viewing and only use the projector for movie night or sporting events. This would help prolong the life of the bulbs in the projector from not having to cycle it on and off if I just want to watch a show or two at night after work.

*** Yes; further pursue the drop down screen in front of your LCD, Although going full man cave > with a fixed PJ screen is a great choice also. Glad I could help with this decision

- Build a drink ledge in the pool table area similar to what CuznEddy did here. Unfortunately I didn't have the forethought to put in a metal beam to span the are, but I think I could still come up with something that would work.

*** I like the way you think

Sorry I could not be more definitive...

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #40 of 185 Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 AM

I bought the a3-300 and its now sitting in our master bedroom closet. Can't believe that I'll likely have to wait a month before firing it up!

Cheers,
B

post #41 of 185 Old 12-29-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

I hope everyone had a great holiday season. I can't believe it's been over two months since I have been on these threads. Time flies around the holidays I guess.

I haven't made much progress on my basement. The only thing I've done is I've finally trimmed the window (yes Cuzed it is still fully functional, one only has to pull out the trim and then pull out the window in case of emergency). I've decided that my next project is to tackle the stairs. That's all for now, I hope to post more frequently with better updates in the months ahead.

Scott

post #42 of 185 Old 01-18-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I have officially started on my equipment rack. I decided to do a DIY rack that is half rack and half shelves that will match the other side. I built another rotating frame this weekend so I'll show what I've done to date.

First though here is a shot of my previous rotating bookshelf to refresh memories as to what it looks like.

These first few shots are of the frame already in place. You'd be surprised how long it took me to get a simple four sided frame put together. Measure twice cut one works great, if you actually assemble it the way you measured. It makes a ton a difference whether you screw through the top member into the sides, or if you do as I did initially and screw through the sides into the top. It makes about 3 inches of difference actually. My dad was in town and helped me out a little, and got a pretty good laugh at my expense when I couldn't figure out how my measurements were off and then realized what I had done.

You can see more of the details on how I did the pivoting versus my pics from my other shelves. I can take the credit though as it was my dad's idea. I had originally planned on just going with a hinged approach, but I think the pivot worked out much better. The wisdom of my elders I suppose. You can see on left side that I have a couple pieces of all-thread on the top and bottom. It took a little patience to get it all lined up correctly (thank god for plumb bobs), but it eventually was true and swung properly. You can see that caster on the right hand side that helps to take off the burden from my pivot points. Don't laugh at the framing. I pieced it together with old 2x4s that I had laying around my shop as I was too lazy to go buy new lumber.

I ordered a couple of rack rails off of ebay for the equipment rack side. I didn't really want to trust my measurements to get the rail spacing correct, so what I did was to attach a rail to the left side of my frame. As soon as I got the perfectly vertically level and secured, I then attached the 1U blanks to the top, middle and bottom. After I attached my second rail to the blanks, I then attached the right side 2x4 to it and then screwed that 2x4 into the frame. I figured this was a fool proof way of getting my second rail into place.

Here is a shot of the carcass that is going into the non-rack side. It's just like the other bookcase, only a mini-me version. It's just four pieces of 5/8 particle board with a piece of ¼ ply on the back. Glued and screwed.

Putting the carcass into place.

In position.

Here's a full room shot. It'll be nice to have a little symmetry across the front of the room.

Now I need to work on the shelves and get everything painted up. I ordered the lights this morning so they should hopefully be in by the weekend. They come in multiples of 5 and I need 6. I figured I could just use the extra 4 on the back side to give me some light while working on the wiring or whatever I need to do on the backside of the equipment.

My three pieces of equipment are going to look pretty sad in that 36U rack, but I've got a couple of ideas on what to do with the extra space.

Scott

post #43 of 185 Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Very nice ... but how could you possibly work when the Vikes were puttin' a lickin' on the Cowboys right in front of you?!

post #44 of 185 Old 01-21-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

As a Bears fan I was glad to see someone from the North spank the Cowboys like that (I can't stand the Cowboys), but as a Purdue alum, I hate to tell you, but I'll be pulling for my boy Brees as I continue working on the rack this weekend.

Scott

post #45 of 185 Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

I'm back with another update. I was able to work on the rack and shelves a little more over the weekend. Still far from done, but getting closer.

The first photo shows the bookshelf area all nice and painted up. I've also installed the supports for the shelves. The shelves fit around these supports on the top and bottom. I do this to accommodate the lights in the shelves.

Here are some of the shelf pieces. I actually painted a full length of the ¼ plywood and then cut out my shelf pieces from the pre-painted piece. I learned from my last shelving unit that it's easier to paint beforehand and then assemble and then do any touch-up painting versus putting everything together and trying to paint all of the little nooks and crannies.

Basically each shelf has a top and bottom with the bottom having the hole cut into it for the puck lights. Small strips of particle board are then sandwiched between these two pieces to make each shelf.

Particle board in place. I then put the top on and installed the lights. I made five of them.

I was also able to work on my faceplates a little this weekend. I'm using thin aluminum sheets and doing everything pretty much by hand. I took all of my measurements and drew them onto the aluminum and then cut them out. I initially tried to use a jigsaw, but it didn't work out quite as I has hoped, so I resorted to using tin snips. Takes a little longer but I was happier with the outcome. I snipped as close to my line as a could and then in the vice it went and I filed right down to the line. The next two pictures show my first attempt. Everything turned out pretty good. Don't ask me why I choose my most difficult piece of equipment for my first attempt, but I guess since I was able to do that one, everything else would be cake.

Here is my second piece in the rack with it's new custom faceplate on. I sprayed it with a flat black paint that has a little bit of texture to it.

Here are both pieces of equipment that I was able to finish this weekend in place. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. One thing I forgot about however, is that I have the Logitech IR to Bluetooth converter for using my harmony remote with the PS3. I didn't make a space for that on the PS3 plate. So I have to think about what I want to do with that. I can place it on the shelves next to the rack or try to modify the PS3 faceplate to accommodate it, or even try to come up with another option. Suggestions?

Here is a distance shot of the equipment in the rack so far and the shelves in place.

Here is the back of the shelves to show the wiring.

Since I had six lights for the shelves (one for each of the five shelves and one in the top) and the lights I bought came in packs of five, I had four lights left over. I decided to install them on the back side of the shelves facing the equipment rack to give myself a little light when I'm working on the back connections. Here's a shot of the top two, I have two more on the lower side.

The final few shots are of the shelves lit up to get an idea of what it will look like. I tried a couple of different settings on my camera to see which on took the better picture.

The space right above the cable box is where I'll house the receiver. The large space above that is where I plan on putting a small 19 LCD. I'm eventually going to get a projector for the basement so the large LCD will move to somewhere else in the house and I plan on using the smaller one for when I want to set-up DVR or something like that where I don't want to fire up the projector. All the space below the PS3 is unclaimed space as of right now. I may just make a large blank panel until I can figure out what I want to do with it.

That's all for now.

Scott

post #46 of 185 Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Cult Daddy,

Looking good - seems you had a productive weekend!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #47 of 185 Old 01-25-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah it was pretty productive especially considering most of this work takes place after 8pm or before 7am while my daughter is sleeping. It makes for not a lot of sleep for Daddy.

Scott

post #48 of 185 Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Man I hear you on the times...if I do get to work on something I have just enough time to get all the tools spread out or paint canned opened with 2 brushes dirty and start getting in the groove before there is a firedrill, accident, poop, screaming fit, grocery trip, ending or beginning nap, bath or generally grumpy wife that brings it too an quick end!

Nice work by the way, been following the progress.
post #49 of 185 Old 01-29-2010, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Coffeyman, I feel your pain. It's amazing how much work you can get in a couple of uninterrupted hours after everyone is asleep vs trying to do it during the day when chaos has taken over the house.

With that, I've accoplished a little more this week while watching some college BB (my Boilers just won a nailbiter last night!!!!!)

I've finished the faceplate for my receiver as well as made a temp plate for top where the 19" screen will eventually go. You can see in the last picture the plate for the bottom section cut and ready to get painted and installed.

I bought the oak for the trim yeserday so hopefully I'll find a little time to work on that this weekend.

Since I have so much extra space in my rack, does anyone have any good suggestionsfor things I could put in there? I'm thinking about one of these and maybe a 4U drawer. I've also tossed around the idea of installing a couple of fans. What else does everyone have in thier racks that they can't live without?

Scott

post #50 of 185 Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

So I finally have my rack nearly finished. I've only a few more minor touches to finalize it, but I thought that I would present it in its current state.

First off, I learned from my first bookshelf to stain and protect the face frame before attaching it to the bookshelf rather than afterwards. Blue tape works great for protection when working with paint, but not quite so good with stain as evidenced by the bleeding in my first bookshelf. Fortunately it wasn't too bad and no one has noticed except for me, but still I didn't want that to happen again. So are a few shots of the stained face frame pieces prior to attachment.

The next shot is just an assembly shot. I biscuit joined the face frame to the case in order to not have any exposed fasteners on the front. A little wood glue and a couple of clamps and there you go. A little easier said than done, but worth the effort. I had to remove my two big blank panels in order to use the clamps, but I was going to do that any way as I had a bit of concern with them. Since the panels were so large and made from thin aluminum and I only attached at the corners, I was worried that there might be some vibrations when the bass kicked in. So prior to putting them back on, I applied double sided tape along the vertical edges to keep them snug to the rails. So far so good.

So here is the nearly finished piece. Nearly finished because I still need to attach the base molding, and I have a a few gaps on the top and bottom along the left side to fill.

I said in my previous post that I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the receiver for the PS3 adapter for the harmony remote. Well I decided to kill two birds with one outlet. Prior to having the bookshelf in, for my subwoofer power I simply ran the cord behind my ghetto shelf. Now with the bookshelf in place, that was no longer an option. So I decided to add an outlet to the bottom shelf so I could plug in both my sub as well as the PS3 adapter. Works well so far.

These next few shots are of the shelf now stocked with blu-rays, PS3 games and more DVDs. I moved the old ghetto shelf behind the original pivoting bookshelf so now I can keep all my manuals, old xbox games (the xbox died a while back), and other misc. stuff back there and pseudo-organized.

Finally here are a few shots of the back. It's relatively organized, at least good enough that nothing gets tangled or caught when I open or close the bookshelf.

I'm still looking for suggestions on accessories that I can add as I have a lot of space that can be utilized. Questions, critiques or suggestions are welcome.

Scott

post #51 of 185 Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Wow man, that's turning out really nice. I love the pivoting idea. Front wall is looking nice. Have you thought about putting the lights on a dimmer? Would there be a way to do that?

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.

post #52 of 185 Old 02-08-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Hey JP, thanks alot. It's taken a while but it's getting there. The front wall will look much better when I put the big screen up once I can finally afford a projector. I measure 79" between the frames of the two bookshelves. I calculated that would give me a 91" diagnal. That's outer dimensions so depending on frame width of the screen, it would be somewhere smaller than that. Obviously far from the largest screen I've seen on here, but pretty good for what I have to work with, especially considering the low ceilings I have.

The lights in the bookshelves are actually on dimmers, albeit touch dimmers. If you look closely in some of the pictures, you will see in the third shelf, near the top there is a small disc. This is the touch dimmer that has 4 levels of dimness (if that's a word). Unfortunately, each shelf has its own dimmer, so they have to be controlled independently. I always just put it on the highest level when I take pictures. I don't know why I do, it would probably make more sense to have a lower light level to make the picture look more like real life. I'd like to eventually get all of my lights on IR dimmers so that I could control them with my remote, but for now, this is the best I can do.

Scott

post #53 of 185 Old 02-10-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Cult Daddy,

The rack and shelving turned out great - NICE JOB !!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #54 of 185 Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Cuz. I've decided that my next project will the the riser for the back row. I really want to do some columns and some acoustical treatments on the walls, but since I'm planning on my riser being right next to the right side wall, I want to get that in place first before building any kind of column.

For anyone who's done a riser, any advice? I was thinking of using the Auralex U-boats on the bottom to de-couple from the floor, but I don't know if it would make any difference since I'd be building the riser on top of my cork flooring which is resting on a concrete slab. I would think they'd be necessary if I was on the first or second floor and I just had a plywood subfloor beneath, but I don't know. I'm such a noob with this stuff.

Also, I'm assuming that I shouldn't attach the riser to the wall as it should be decoupled from that, but I've seen lots of riser on here that look like they are right up to the wall. Are those just really close to the wall and then with trim make the look like they are attached, or are they really attached?

I've done soem research already, but any advice would be great.

Scott

post #55 of 185 Old 02-11-2010, 09:57 AM

I really like the way your wall with shelves/rack looks. Great job!

Is there any chance you'd post a pic with the shelves on dimmest setting (or second dimmest if the dimmest is near black)?
post #56 of 185 Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Cult Daddy,

Riser is a great idea if you have the ceiling hiegth to allow for it (the location of a future ceiling mounted PJ could also be a factor). I did a reasonable amount of research, but stopped short of building a riser. However; If I were going that route I would:

1) Make sure it is decoupled form the sidewalls, even if the space is only a fraction of an inch.

2) Regardless of the flooring; I would also decouple it from the floor by using those upboats, or even hockey pucks. The reason for this; it is possible that at extreme bass levels that the riser could actually vibrate to give you some bass shaker effect into your seating. Some people even go so far as to cut port holes or "vents" into the vertical faces of the riser for this purpose.

3) You will want to fill the riser with ordinary insulation so that it does not resonate at higher audible frequencies (also for some level of bass trapping)

4) Also think about pre-wiring for; the possibility of step lights, rope light edging, or for actual bass shaker transducers...?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #57 of 185 Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Cory, I'll try to get some pics tonight of lower light settings, if nothing else I will get some done by this weekend.

Cuz, thanks for the words of wisdom. This is why I love these forums. I am a little concerned about the ceiling height. I have really low ceilings in that area, but I thought I would build the riser out of 2x6, to give a little height but not too much. As for the projector, I'm thinking I will have it ceiling mounted but I won't have it centered. I'm looking at LCD projectors (Epson 8100 specifically) so that I can have some lense shift. With my relatively low ceilings I pretty much have to go with an LCD in order to keep the image off of the floor, so I figured I would take advantage of the horizontal shift and place the projector off to the right side so as to not interfere with the back row.

Thanks for clearing up the side wall for me. That's kind of what I thought, but I figured I'd better ask the experts.

You read my mind with the ports. I found this article that I was thinking about mimicking. That's where I learned about the U-boats. Do standard hockey pucks work just as well? That might be a cheaper route to go.

Finally, I agree, prewiring is a must. I love the look of the ropelights around the riser so I will definitly have to do that and I plan on adding several outlets, for some (hopefully) motorized berklines in the future. Plus some shakers could be really cool.

Thanks again for the tips.

Scott

post #58 of 185 Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Cory, here are a couple of pics with the lights on a lower dimmer setting.

This first one is at the lowest level.

And this one is at the next level up.

The images are a little blurry. I lent my tripod to a coworker so he could use it for his Audessey set-up, so I had to try and keep as steady as possible. Clearly it's good that I'm not smart enough to be a surgeon, because with my shaky hands there would be a lot of dead patients.

Scott

post #59 of 185 Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 AM

Hey thanks that was quick! Looks really well done.
post #60 of 185 Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Cult Daddy,

The shelving lighting turned out very nice - I like it!!

As for the workaround of mounting a PJ off center:
Please be aware it has been mentioned on these forums (somewhere), that this can introduce some artifacts - you might want to check this out..

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page