To-Be-Named Simple Basement Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I previously had posted this in the Dedicated Theater forum, but I think that this is probably a better forum for it, so here it is.

I've been working on my first home theater for a little while now and am nearing completion of phase 1. So I thought I'd take some time and document my progress and share it with you all. Please feel free to provide and feedback or advice you may have. This is my first home and first home theater and I have done everything myself to date.

I have to give a ton of credit to the folks on these boards for helping me with equipment advice and general layout and construction ideas.

I'm hoping this theater will provide me and my family many years of entertainment in the future.

To kick things off, I made a crude layout of the basement to give everyone an idea of what I had to work with.

It is a wide open area, that was just filled with "stuff". The stairs, water heater and furnace were right in the middle as you can see. My plan was to finish part of the basement with a home theater area and a wet bar area then and leave the other part unfinished for storage and my workshop area, so all of the structural stuff that I was not going to move provided a good line to divide on.

The theater area of the basement started life as my shop area. Here is what is looked like from the get-go.

It is about 12 feet wide and about 20 feet deep to the end of the left wall. The ceiling is only 7' high as it is under a sunken family room. The cinder block on the far end is under the fireplace in the family room and as you can see in the diagram comes out a few feet from the back wall leaving odd cavities on either side. The cavity on the right is where the breaker box is housed which will present some difficulties for me later on.

Here are some more before pictures to give more of an idea of what I had.

The future shop area (looking towards the lower right hand corner of the layout)

The future wet bar area (looking towards the middle of the left side of the layout)

Standing in the home theater area looking towards the future shop area (you can see the furnace, water heater, and top of the stairs)

Standing at the foot of the stairs looking towards the back of the future theater area (I'm planning on putting an old pool table that I'm refinishing towards the right side of this area)

There's the first post. My next post will feature some of the construction pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Moving on to some of the costruction photos

Started off by building a couple of shelves to help organize and clear up the contruction area.

Packed to the brim with "stuff"

Starting to stud out the walls. This is the future theater area.

This is the future wet bar area.

Framing out around the water heater. It wasn't fun trying to work around all the stuff laying around, but my shelves just weren't enough to hold everything.

Bottom of the stairs, roughing out the doorway.

A few shots of the pool table that I'm refinishing. It's an old old Brunswick that I got from my grandpa. It will eventually go in the area behind the theater. That may be a while however.

Working on the drywall (looking from the base of the stairs towards the theater area)

More of the theater area. You can see how low I had to build the soffets to accomodate the beam and HVAC. There was just no way to move the HVAC without incurring ridiculous expense. There is only about 6'3" of clearance under the lowest soffet, fortunately I'm only 5'10" so even with shoes I clear with no problem. My dad on the other hand just barely clears it. You can also see the pool table that I'm working on refinishing (that project has been put on hold lately)

More shots looking towards the theater area. I'm standing approximately where the pool table will eventually be.

This is where the screen will be. Since the wall is built in front of the cinder block that is below the fireplace, I needed to to keep access to the ash chute for future cleaning. You can also see the breaker box that I referred to in the first post.

Looking back from the screen wall

This is from the base of the stairs looking towards where the wet bar will be. You can see the plumbing coming out of the wall.

Another shot of the bar area.

The stairwell area.

The stairwell again (with a temp carboard door to prevent dust from getting into the other side)

Back of the theater area looking towards the bar area and bottom of the stairwell.

The sole window down here. This will really help keep the ambient light down when using the theater area.

The next post will show the painting and flooring going in.
post #3 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Moving onto some paint

The theater area is a chocolate brown (the wife wouldn't let me do black)

This is looking from the theater area back towards where the pool table will be. While the theater area is in brown, the rest of the basement is in a light beige.

From the back of the theater again.

From the pool table area.

The stairwell. You can see that under the stairwell is open. I'm planning on building a wine rack to utilize that space.

My daughter demanding faster progress.

The next post will feature shots of the flooring.
post #4 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wow. Time warp building - makes a project seem to fly by! Nice progress, and great pool table! A few questions to pull some more information out of you.

I didn't see any mention of pulling low voltage wires for speakers, subs & perhaps a PJ. Did you not do that, or did you just not snap those photos? Are you planning on a PJ, or a TV?

Are you planning a separate equipment closet, or just putting the equipment on a shelf below the screen? One of those cubbies on the screen wall would seem to be an option for that.

What did you use for thermal insulation? I'm sure you did something since even though you're a southerner to me, it's still cold in Illinois! Did you use the JM batts I saw lying around in one of your photos? And are you doing anything for sound containment?

What kind of tree is that growing in your basement?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #5 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 AM

It's coming along nicely. I'd be curious to what you plan on doing with the ceiling. Will it be insulated and drywalled or drop ceiling?
post #6 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

It's amazing how fast it looks when I simply have to upload my photos. I actually started in November of '08. The goal was to get the walls and and floor in by my daughter's first birthday party in March so that we could use the space. Unfortunately I didn't make the timeline with the floor. The next few posts will still be in fast forward mode until I get to the present, then progress will slow substantially.

I agree about the pool table. The back story on that is that my grandfather was a member of the Odd Fellows back in the 40's and this was one of the pool tables in the lodge. When they shuttered the lodge he was able to get the pool table and four of the pool table chairs (which you see in some of the pics, however only three still remain). He says that the pool table was old when he joined the Odd Fellows, so he estimates that it's nearing 100 years old if not older. It does have a serial number stamped on the interior, so when I get a little more time I'm going to see if I can find any manufacturing information on it.

You are correct about the low voltage wires. Since this is my first surround system, I didn't have much knowledge as to where I was going to put my speakers, so I hadn't run any wires at this point. Fortunately though, I had planned for a suspended ceiling, so the tops of the wall were still accessible so with some fish tape I figured I'd be able to run the wires once I figured out where everything was going to go. As I said, I was trying to get done in order for the party so I was just trying to get the walls up and painted.

I did however insulate everything, because as you said, it gets cold down here. The JM insulation you see in the window is behind every one of those walls, exterior and interior. I also put some insulation in the ceiling joists to try and help with sound isolation.

The equipment closet is one thing that I wish I had planned better. I am going to utilize one of the cubbies, but could I do it over again, I would have put it somewhere behind the seating so as not to be distracting when watching a movie. When I get to the present, you will see that I still don't have that part quite worked out yet and I will be looking for advice.

An finally the tree. I have no idea what that is about. My wife has several of those thing throughout the house. They are all fake, but I don't see the point of them. But I have no say in anything other than the basement, and she still gets to dictate some of the basement. Women...
post #7 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Prior to laying down any flooring I wanted to seal the floor. The house is 30 years old so I figure the concrete would definitely be cured by now. I read mixed reviews on whether you should seal a concrete basement floor or not, but I gathered that as long as it wasn't a new construction is should be ok. I'm still not sure if I should have done this or not, but what's done is done I guess.

A shot of the cork floor. We have four cats, a dog and an 18 month old, so I am attempting to replace all of the carpet upstairs in the house with hardwood as you might be able to imagine how dirty the carpet gets. I know carpet is the first choice typically for basements, but since I didn't want any upstairs, I surely wasn't going put any down here. Since you shouldn't use hardwood in the basement due to moisture, I found this cork laminate that I thought would work good. The cork was a great choice as it provides insulation as well as noise absorbtion. I also have a poly foam underlayment under the cork to help with cusioning and insulation.

The next post will feature the first piece of equipment as well as some work on the ceilings.
post #8 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult_Daddy View Post

A shot of the cork floor. We have four cats, a dog and an 18 month old, so I am attempting to replace all of the carpet upstairs in the house with hardwood as you might be able to imagine how dirty the carpet gets. I know carpet is the first choice typically for basements, but since I didn't want any upstairs, I surely wasn't going put any down here. Since you shouldn't use hardwood in the basement due to moisture, I found this cork laminate that I thought would work good. The cork was a great choice as it provides insulation as well as noise absorbtion. I also have a poly foam underlayment under the cork to help with cusioning and insulation.

Nice. I'm seriously considering cork laminate right now as well. May be buying something in the next week, so perfect timing for me.

When you get a minute, can you elaborate a bit more on this product more - where you bought yours & the approximate price? Any photos/details on the poly foam underlayment (I saw someone used dricore, but I'm trying to decide if that is necessary or worth the cost)? How hard was the installation - did you do glue down or floating? Any early opinions on the product & how well it insulates?

Subscribed. Love blitzkrieg builds!!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #9 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Cult-Daddy,

A belated welcome.

You've done a lot with this space - looking good!
Nice to see another Northern Illinois build (I'm just south of lake Zurich myself)

Looking forward to seeing more photos

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #10 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Hanesian. I was just over at your thread checking it out. You look like you are going to have a great room when it's all done (not that it will ever be done, upgraditus anyone?) Smart move on subbing out the drywall. I've never hung drywall or taped and mudded before so I wanted to give it a shot, plus the funds just weren't there to hire someone. Now that I've had a taste of it, I can cross it off my bucket list and hire someone next time.

As for the the floor, I got it from Lumber Liquidators. It's $3.79/sq. ft. Lisbon Cork Flooring A little cheaper than hardwood, but I think perhaps a little more expensive than carpet (but I'm not sure on that as I didn't price out carpet as I knew I wasn't putting it in). I think I picked up about 600 sq. ft. of it. One nice thing about LL is that you have order these little 6"x6" samples of differnt corks to find the style that would work best for you. I think they may be a couple of bucks or so for each sample, but if you end up ordering from LL then you can use the sample expense as credit towards your final purchase. I think I ordered about 8 different samples and ended up choosing what you see in the pictures.

I used this underlayment Mine was actually yellow, but I think it's the same stuff. I looked at some thicker more expensive stuff, but ,like you, I thought that might be overkill.

The installation wasn't too hard at all. It's a floating floor so each plank is a locking tounge and groove. The first couple of rows were a little squirrely as they wanted to move and seperate while I was tapping in the subsequent planks. I ended using some blue painters tape on the seams to keep the pieces together. Once I had about three or four rows done, there was enough weight that I didn't need the tape anymore. My daughter had a field day though pulling up all of the tape when I was done.

The insulating properties are great. The unfinished part of the basement doesn't have anything on the floor, just bare concrete. You can tell a significant temp change when you go from the bare concrete to the cork flooring. I'm comfortable walking on the cork flooring barefooted, where as on the concrete I wouldn't be able to for too long before it got uncomfortable. For noise properties, I don't have anything too scientific, but prior to putting down the floor, there were significant echoes (as one would expect) but after putting down the floor, they have been reduced.) I would guess acoustically they are better than hardwood, but not as good as carpet.

It also has a nice cushioning property which I really like having a little one running around. LIke the acoustic properties, not as soft as carpet, but a ton more giving than hardwood would be if she happened to bounce her head off of it.

It's only been down about 7 months now so I can't really comment on how long it will last, but it does have a 25 year warranty. One other benefit (although this didn't really weigh into my decision) is that it is a relatively "green" material.

Overall, I would highly recommend the cork flooring. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

If you do decide to go this route, I recommend going to HD or Lowes and getting two accessories used to install laminate floors. One is a block that you use to tap against when locking in the joints. I started out just using a block of 2x4. But for 5 bucks the block that made for it worked much better. I has a nice little cut-out so it sits flat against the floor and overlaps on top of the plank. The other tool you absolutely need is a pulling bar. You use this when you are installing the last plank in a row. It is against the wall, and I initially thought I could just use a pry bar and wedge it in. That didn't work so well. The pulling bar has one edge that you slip between the wall and the plank and on the other edge, you can tap with your hammer. Worked great. LL has a kit that has these items that looks reasonably priced. The kit also has some spacers that I did use, but they weren't nearly as helpful as the other two tools. I picked up all of this stuff at Home Depot as I didn't think I would need them when I ordered my materials, but you definitely should get them from somewhere.

I was down to my last two rows before I smacked my thumb with the hammer, see if you can beat that.
post #11 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hey CuzEd. I was looking at your page as well, but I've only been through the first page so far. The bathroom looks great but I know that was finished a couple of years ago. I'll make it through the rest of the post before long. One of many things I am missing in my basement is a bathroom. Although I have thought about putting a urinal in the unfinished area (shhhh don't tell my wife). I figure that will help ensure it maintains itself as a mancave, although it currently is housing my wife's scrapbooking stuff and my daughters toys until I can finish the pool table and push them out.

Something else I noticed on your page is the IR light switches. I would love to get some dimmers that I could control with a Harmony One, so I may have some questions for you in the future. Once again though, that post is about two years ago, so you may have changed some stuff by the time I get caught up to the present.
post #12 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

So here is the first piece of equipment. It's a Samsung LN40B640, or basically a 40 inch LCD. I also have a Comcast cable box hooked up via HDMI. So that's it at this particular point in time, a tv and cable box. But it provided enough of a distraction that work slowed down. You can see in the pic that I still had some cable management to work on. I did have the HDMI hidden at this time. You can see the HDMI going from the cable box to the wall on the left side. This is connected to another HDMI outlet directly behind the tv. I hadn't yet installed power behind the tv. That's the cable you see hanging from the tv. I was still trying to figure out what to do about the ash chute and breaker box at this point as well. That's my daughter wielding the power.

Looking back from the tv

From the back of the theater looking towards the bar room. I had an old electronic dartboard that I got several years ago, but it had been sitting in the box since I had nowhere to put it up. Finally it has found a home. I made a frame and used some leftover flooring to made a backer board for it.

Starting to put up the gridwork for the suspended ceiling.

An old solid oak door that we had laying around. Never again will I build my own jamb. Way too much work when you can buy a pre-hung. More progress on the gridwork as well.

Next up will be some shots of the (mostly) finished ceiling, some better cable management, as well as some lighting.
post #13 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey CuzEd.

Something else I noticed on your page is the IR light switches. I would love to get some dimmers that I could control with a Harmony One, so I may have some questions for you in the future.

One of the things remaining on my list:

Is to buy a new Harmony (likely an 890) and see if I can get it to talk to, or at least learn these econo-model light switches

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #14 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the very thorough info on the cork flooring. Very impressive.

JPDeuce used a similar product, although he went with dricore and glue down flooring. Interestingly, it also looks like your product they recommend finishing with poly, while his they do not. Here's a link to his thread.

Things just get curiouser and curiouser.

Do you notice any telltale clicking or other noises/movements from doing your floating floor?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #15 of 185 Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

No problem. I don't mind talking about the cork at all. I think it was one of the best decisions I've made so far regarding my basement. My floor came with a finish already on it so I didn't apply another, however I could see how that might help with some of the joints if you spilled something on it. I would perhaps be a bit more concerned in a kitchen or somewhere where there would be higher chances of having liquids spill on it. Of course, once I get in the wet bar, those odds go up for me.

I did look at the glue down tiles, but I decided on the floating because I didn't want to mess with the glue. I figured that I would have enough area that I didn't need to worry about the floor moving on me. If I had a small 10x10 room or something like that, then I would do the glue down method to keep it from moving.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say clicking. Do you mean when walking on it the joints clicking or that it clicks when it touches the floor underneath? Either way, I've not heard any clicking. The actual cork is just the top layer and it lies on top of a soft green material. I'm not sure what it is but it creates a hell of a lot of dust when cutting it on the miter box. I'll try to get a few pictures of one of the planks to show you. Speaking of cutting it, since the planks are 3'x1' you can't cut them on a regular mitre box. Thankfully I have a sliding compound so it could cut the full 12" in one pass.
post #16 of 185 Old 10-14-2009, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

At this point I've finally got the ceiling in and was able to hide all of the cables for a relatively clean look. I've also added some sconces to the theater area. In the first photo you can see that the theater ceiling is about 7 inches lower than the pool table area. This is because the family room which is directly above is a step down from the kitchen. That makes the ceiling only 6'7" in the theater area. This may cause a problem when I eventually install a projector and possibly build a riser. You can see at this point I still don't have a cover for the ash chute and still hadn't figured out what to do about the cubbie on the right.

Right now I just have an old couch and love seat in the area with a some slip covers on them. Eventually, these will be replaced by theater recliners.

Here is a good shot of the ghetto rack system and the complete lack of equipment. I only have the TV, cable box and PS3 at this point in time. Since I didn't have a receiver at this point, if I wanted to go from cable to PS3, I would have to unplug the cable HDMI from the wall and plug in the PS3 HDMI into the outlet since I only have one HDMI going to the TV. I could have ran a temp HDMI outside the wall directly from the PS3 to the TV, but I didn't have an extra HDMI laying around and I didn't need to switch too frequently.

Here is a shot of the ceiling over the pool table area. I had old tin ceiling panels that were slightly rusty, so I had to use steel wool on each panel and then I spray painted each one. I set-up a temp spray booth in my shop area that only had room for three panels, so I did three panels per night. Needless to say, it took a while to get them all done. The missing panel is because I don't have a pool table light yet and I didn't want to lose the light there because my wife does scrapbooking in that area right now and needs the light. Once I get a pool table light I'll replace that fixture and put in the final panel.

Here is the wet bar area with the tin ceiling panels in and some can lights. The three cans in a row in the middle are directly above where the front bar will be. I'm planning on it being a U shape with the opening towards where I'm standing when I took this picture and the back back obviously against the wall on the right. I'm planning on it being about 12ft long. I'm going to model the back bar off the one in the picture (Harry's Chocolate Shop, my old haunt from college).

Here is the old door that I had and built the jamb for. I was going to paint it white, but I used some furniture oil on it and it cleaned up pretty good, so I think I'm going to leave it as is. I still need to get the trim up.

I still need to figure out what to do with the stairs. I'm thinking about oak tread and risers. We'll see. I also still need to figure out what to do underneath the stairs. I'm planning on a wine rack but I still need to build that. The desk top is the temporary blockade for my daughter. And yes that is a 25lb cat sitting on the stairs, not a dog. He is a beast.

One last shot looking from the base of the stairs to the theater area, or it will be a theater area once I get a projector and screen in there.

The next post will have shots of the theater in it's present state. Thanks for following along.
post #17 of 185 Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Just read through your thread, saw that you posted over in mine. Man, your basement is really coming along nice. I love the tin ceiling, I really want to do something like that in a kitchen down the road.

I love my cork floor, and see you did the same. The reason I went with OSB and platon was for the moisture protection under the floor...and some insulation and feel. We love it. My daughter face planted on it this weekend and she got up with a little whimper and I couldn't even tell if her head or face hit first. If that happened upstairs on the hardwood, she would have been crying and it definitely would have bruised. She hit pretty hard.

Your place is coming along nicely though. I like the color choices and I'm digging that pool table project. I'd like to have something like that to work on, once my big house projects are done. Something I could take my time on and have something with some character to show for it at the end. That's going to be really cool.

I think you should be thinking about doing a drop down screen and projo in front of the LCD panel, for Phase 2. You won't believe the difference once you get 90+ inches down there. The basement is looking good though, that is going to be a cool place for your family for years to come.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
post #18 of 185 Old 10-14-2009, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

It's funny that you mention the tins in the kitchen, because that's exactly why I was holding on to them, but we just never put them up. So they came in real handy when I decided to finish the basement.

We have a 19 month old daughter and she spends much of her play time down in the basement because of the floors. We have hardwood on much of the upstairs, so like you said, if she were to faceplant, I would much prefer it to be on the cork rather than the hardwood.

I am definitely going to put a projector down there at some point. My initial thoughts were, as you suggested, putting a drop down in front of the LCD and dropping it for movies or sports and using the LCD for general viewing. I have lately been considering removing the LCD and put up a fixed frame instead and using the LCD in the bedroom or something. But then I worry about using the projector too much. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have some time before I'll be buying a projector so I'll have plenty of time to change my mind several hundred times.
post #19 of 185 Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am definitely going to put a projector down there at some point. My initial thoughts were, as you suggested, putting a drop down in front of the LCD and dropping it for movies or sports and using the LCD for general viewing. I have lately been considering removing the LCD and put up a fixed frame instead and using the LCD in the bedroom or something. But then I worry about using the projector too much. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have some time before I'll be buying a projector so I'll have plenty of time to change my mind several hundred times.

I mentioned a drop down for a couple reasons:
- I didn't think you were considering moving the LCD
- I didn't think you would want to be limited by the width of that part of the wall for the size of screen.

I prefer the fixed frame, but that's because we don't have any other purpose for the wall. As far as "over-using" the projector...there's no such thing. If you are using it that much, then it's well worth the $2-300 for another bulb, to keep using it a lot. That just means to me that you are getting good return on your investment of time, sweat, and money.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
post #20 of 185 Old 10-14-2009, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hanesian, I was able to get some close-up picks of the cork flooring. Here you go.

Here is a shot of a cut edge with a ruler for perspective. The thickness is 7/16". The cork itself is about 1/8". Then the layer of the green stuff and finally some more cork (the kind that's closer to what you would find on cork board) that's about 1/16".

Here's a shot of the locking tongue and groove.

post #21 of 185 Old 10-14-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Cult Daddy. That gives me more insight.

I actually stopped by Home Depot today for some paint, but wandered over to the flooring department just to see if they had any cork flooring. The guy there said they used to carry it, but they discontinued it because no one bought it.

I may have a little time to figure this out - if you read the recent part of my build thread you'll know I have some family staying with us for a while until their house is finished. I think we'll wait on the flooring for the HT (their temporary bedroom) until they move out.

Thanks for the update. 'Preciate it.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #22 of 185 Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Hanes,

Quite some time ago; I was looking into cork for another room in my house. At that time Home Depot did not carry it. However this spring; I was at a Menards browsing for other supplies and was very surprised to see that they had some in stock....

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #23 of 185 Old 10-15-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Cult Daddy.

Thanks for sharing these details on the cork flooring. I have a spare bedroom that I will be redoing in the spring, Hmm......?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #24 of 185 Old 10-15-2009, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Now to slow things down a bit. After the flurry of posts rehashing the past, I now bring everyone to the present time.

I present the home theater area (keep in mind this is just current state, not finished state, I still have lots of ideas I would like to implement).

This shows the new receiver, the front three speakers and the new bookshelf and ash chute cover.

It also shows the repositioned couches. This is eventually how the recliners will be and I plan to build a riser for the second row.

This shot shows the the left surround and the left rear surround (in the very upper left hand corner). I decided to go with The Speaker Company speakers. This is my first surround system and knew/know nothing about audio and had a limited budget. Thanks to the folks on this forum I discovered TSC and have been very happy with what I got for my money. Currently I only have a 7.0 system but am very close to having money saved for the sub I want.

Right surround and right rear.

Another total room shot. The LCD is going to eventually either get replaced by screen that will take up the whole width of the middle wall, or I will have a screen that drops down in front of it. Either way a rear projector will be in the room at some point.

This is the bookcase that I built to house the movie collection, but it also hides the breaker box behind it. I installed lights in the shelves but they are difficult to make out with the flash on the camera.

It pivots out in order to access the breaker box. It has pivot point on the top and bottom about eight inches in from the right side and a caster on the left side for support.

This is the backside where you can see the cavity for the breaker box and the wiring for the lights. This is also where I house my cable modem and wireless router. They are attached to the floor joists above so you can't see them in this picture. The tiny wire going through the side is for a touch dimmer that I can control the lights with from the front side.

Close up of the center speaker stand. I made the speaker stands for all three front speakers. The wires pass through the supports so you don't see the wire hanging down from the speaker. Unfortunately you can still see them when they emerge from the bottom of the stand and connect to the wall outlet. You can also (kind of) see in the picture, the panel my dad made for me to cover the ash chute. It's held in place by some spring clips that he made from an old hacksaw blade. It's nearly invisible but still gives me access for cleaning.

I fabricated the right rear bracket out of some sheet metal and painted it black to blend in. I think it turned out pretty good. The left rear has a similar bracket but it's hidden by the soffit.

You can barely see the speaker wire coming from the ceiling to the speaker.

Right surround. These are TSC dipoles. I was really debating on the dipoles versus direct for the surrounds, but ended up going with the dipoles. I wasn't sure how well the dipoles would do with an open back to my room. But I think they sound great. Of course, I don't have much to compare to, so that may change if I ever get to hear a real system and how bad my set-up really is. I really like the low profile of them though, since the left is in my walkway. I didn't want anything too obtrusive. They are only about 4" deep and don't really stick out any further than the sconces.

Left rear and my poster of one of the best movies ever. I'm a child of the 80's and this VHS tape was worn out at my house. It is going to be a blu-ray purchase for me.

Left surround

So that's it. That's what I'm living with right now. I'll do another couple of posts later, listing my equipment and what else I would like to do.

Please give some comments.
post #25 of 185 Old 10-15-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

The "Hinged" bookshelf is a great solution - turned out nice.
Also good work on that speakerstand!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #26 of 185 Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Cuz and Hanes, When I was thinking about the cork flooring I happened to stop by Lowes. They had probably 6 or 7 different types of cork flooring on thier displays. They seemed to be almost the exact same thing I got from Lumber Liquidators, however Lowes price was around $5/ sq. ft. if I recall correctly. I never did find anything at HD or Menards. I did come across a Mendards ad that had cork laminate featured in it, but they didn't have any in my store.
post #27 of 185 Old 10-15-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

For those that may be interested here is my equipment list:

Samsung LN40B640 LCD TV

PS3 for the gaming and blu-ray

Harman/Kardon AVR 254 7.1 Receiver

TSC TSBL L & R Speakers

TSC TC2 Center Channel

TSC TSS-B Dipolar Surrounds

TSC TSAT-1000SB Rears

As you can see it's a relatively budget system so far, and it's missing a sub. There are two more items that I must have, a sub and universal remote. I almost have enough money saved up to get the sub I want, so I think I will be ordering it in a week or two. I'm planning on getting the eD A3-300. I think that should provide more than enough boom in my basement (at least to start with ). And I'm planning on a Harmony One for my Universal. Please chime in if anyone has any opinions (good or bad) on either one of those choices.
post #28 of 185 Old 10-16-2009, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

I just placed my order this morning for the eD A3-300. It should hopefully arrive early next week as IA and IL aren't too far from each other . I'll take pics when it arrives.
post #29 of 185 Old 10-16-2009, 09:49 AM

All looks good to me. I am in the "research" stage for my equipment, and I find the subwoofer to be the hardest part. As for remotes, I'm a fan of the Harmony remotes. I have an 880 for my current setup, and the new setup should have an 890 for RF capabilities since the equipment closet may not always be line-of-sight.

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together!
post #30 of 185 Old 10-16-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

B, that is exactly why it was one of the last items I purchased. I was all over the board, from a TSC sub to two PA-120s to even a DIY (just don't have the knowledge nor the patience at this time). I finally settled on the A3-300 with tons of research and lots of advice from the great members of this board. Good luck with your choices as you finish out the huge basement.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page