help with layout - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hey, im new here, ive been viewing on this forum for a little bit now, decided to join up due to the fact there are sooo many people on this forum.

well to start off this isnt my house, and i cant really move anything around.
but im looking for some advice...

so this is what i have so far

Polk rti10 fronts matching center
cheap rears (replacing around xmas time)
velo dls5000r

now this isnt my house, and i didnt get to fully decorate this myself. so please be kind with comments lol.

what im looking for is some help with making it better, im looking to make some bass traps, but dont know where to place them, i have 2 corners i can place them, and hang some on the walls, i cant put any on ceiling or where the ceiling and wall meet. i have seen people put them behind each speaker, should i be doing the same? i also just built some rear speaker stands so they will be off the side tables shortly and i built a bigger custom a/v rack. right now i have my fronts and rears angled. now should they be closer to the t.v and straight? also is it ok to have my sub that close to a corner (right now its really boomy) and the room measurements are 25 ft long x 11 ft wide x 7.5 ft tall... now onto pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 02:55 PM

Liked: 10
maybe this is rude...but is this your parents house or something? what is your over all goal? as far as the speakers go you can go to http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...ide/index.html to get a idea on how to place the speakers. You want them all pointed at you. as far as the sub goes there was a right up on the main page for it...http://www.hometoys.com/ezine/09.10/atlantic/index.htm

I don't know alot about the base traps though
Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

yes it is my parents house, my main goal is for it to sound the best it can for the time being until i move out. i will read up on those links thanks!!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:30 PM

then the best advice I have is gonna be to set the speakers according to the dolby site and move the sub away from the way your worried about. I could be wrong but out side of that you might be outta luck. Again I could be wrong but I think panels on the walls is not really for sound proofing but for accustic treatment....
Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billison View Post

Again I could be wrong but I think panels on the walls is not really for sound proofing but for accustic treatment....

Also the bears could be hung on them, sorry just had to lol
Old 10-29-2009, 04:48 PM

something about the bears in a room with crank 2.... just don't go right...
Old 10-29-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

haha, i was waiting for someone to chime in on the bears.. lol they are my moms, and crank to is awaiting to be watched , but so far, i have moved my black a/v rack that was beside my t.v and all my gear is on the t.v rack until i finish staining my new rack (thats going to be in the corner under my dvd's), and i moved my speakers in a slight (also that dolby website you linked me to did wonders, thanks!!!), and then when i get spare time, im going to move the couch out of the way and place my sub there and put on some bass heavy stuff and crawl around the room see where it sounds good, im hoping to put it beside my t.v. i am also waiting for my speaker stands to dry so i can put my rears up on them.

To add to it all, i will be at some point over xmas getting a new receiver, blu-ray player, and new rears, so hopefully that all helps out.

now with these acoustic panels, where should they be placed? behind the fronts and rears, and in the corner?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 PM

show us some pics of your stands... We gotta get our ideas from somewhere. As far as a blu-ray player...maybe you should get a hdtv first.... otherwise it'd be kind of a waste.... even if you go cheap.... a 42'' vizio can be had for 600 at wal-mart....
Old 10-29-2009, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

next year im getting a t.v as we have no where to put this monster 32" and my mom doesn't want to get rid of it... at least with the blu-ray i can start my collection of bd discs and still get my HD audio. then when i move out in the summer, ill be ready for a 50-52" hd tv

as for the stands, wait untill i put my clear coat on, then pics to follow, they came out pretty good i think for a quick DIY.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

ok here are some updated pics

-rear stands in place (dont mind speaker wire, once the new receiver is here, the speaker wire will be different length)
-a/v rack in place (waiting for new receiver to get here, and BD player and ps3, also the 2 4" boards on the back is so i can strap wires to it, to hide all them)
-cleaned up rack under t.v so it looks more clean
-moved teddy's out of the room (some) lol
-subwoofer not sure on final spot for it, but im thinking where its sitting right now (its just pushed there for now as i was moving everything)

Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

ok, got my new receiver on the weekend... onkyo 807 , now i was thinking about switching. putting the couch where the t.v is, and the t.v where the couch is, as right now, where the couch is that wall is a sheet of dry wall, with only studs on the other side, so stuff on that wall shakes at rattles like crazy, its very annoying, and the wall behind the t.v is a solid wall (cement), think it will make a difference?