Renovating a 1885 Home - what...sound issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-03-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(First off, let me say that I originally started the thread in the wrong location. I'm not sure if I can transfer the posts from there to here. Regardless, how do I close the first thread? I've copied my initial post to here.)

Hello all. I am hoping that this forum's collective wisemen/women might be able to offer me their 2 cents worth of thoughts.

I've spent the last week going over the extensive threads at this forum not to mention going to the various professional sites associated with some of the members here. My learning curve has been very steep but I'm becoming comfortable with the concepts and potential issues. However, on to the task at hand.

I've completely gutted what is to become the "new"" family multimedia room. To be expected with an old house, a minor reno becomes a major one (I discovered that I needed to replace part of the sill plate and rotted studs. But I digress. You can see pictures here, just add the www's before oldhouseweb: oldhouseweb.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21318&sid=e5d12525c6ad65167b23085b00130f 97)

The room is pretty much a square, close enough to 13'x13'. The height is 10' to the bottom of the joists. There is one window facing a nearby street and the other is adjacent to our driveway. A 50" entrance opens the room to a common hallway. One bedroom is directly overhead of this room, my workshop is directly below. The laundry room washroom is the adjacent room.

Issues:
  1. Single pane windows with external storm windows...the storms are on now.
  2. The 50" opening (my wife wants french doors installed).
  3. My ears are much more appreciaitive of sound quality (part-time musician) than my wife's. Since we have a very modest budget, I really need to maximize the bang for the buck...rather, justify to the missus what I am doing.

I'm not so worried about what sound escapes the house and am only moderately concerned about what sound could escape this room into the rest of the house. What I want most is a room where I can sit back and enjoy the music with out hearing the chatter of people walking down the street, the laundry machine running, or the furnace kicking in. I plan on using acoustical treatments once the room is built. But right now, I need to create the room.

Any thoughts?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page