My Basement Build. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I started this a few years ago with some framing of the exterior walls, an I framed walls around the laundry room, washroom and for the audio rack. Back in the summer the boss said it was time to finish it off. The attached plan shows the layout, you can see where the audio rack will be and access to the back of it will be through the washroom. In the meantime I have done alot of surfing, reading, and dreaming of what I want in my basement. Alot of the ideas and things that I have done have come from avsforum and links to members pages.

The pdf shows a plan of the basement so you know where I am headed with this.

The first picture shows the audio rack on the right in the foreground, with the washroom behind it and behind that, the laundry room, the tv will be on the wall immediately to the right.

The next picture is from the bottom of stairs and gives some idea of the size of the area for the tv and seating.

That hole in the floor is how we got drywall into the basement, all 45 sheets, drywall doesn't bend well going down stairs that essentially has a 180 degree turn!

I built my soffits with 2x3's and 2 5/8" steel track. This worked well and was pretty easy to install, the 2x3's slipped nicely into the steel track. It was easy to assemble on the floor and lift up against the floor joists and screw them into place.

The project has had all the cables run, electrical final inspection is done, walls are painted, drop ceiling installed, laminate floor going down (95% done) and the trim is about 75% done. I even have some new home theatre seating down there that arrived recently.

I will post more pics shortly as I can only upload 5 pics at a time.

basement.pdf 27.0556640625k . file
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-19-2009, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

How do I embed photos in the message? I would like to do that instead of requiring people to click on an attachment.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-19-2009, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3eam View Post

How do I embed photos in the message? I would like to do that instead of requiring people to click on an attachment.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=853110

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #4 of 19 Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to hanesian for the info on posting inline. This will make viewing a little easier for all of you.

Cables at the back of the audio rack include speaker, lan, sub and cable tv drops. You can also see the 2 1/2 inch flexible conduit for the A/V cables.

Audio rack drywalled, you can see the receptacles lining the back of the rack and there is a light switch to the right for the recessed light in front of the rack.

I will skip the drywalling, and go to the paint. Here is the 2 piece washroom, the paint is called Liberty from the orange colored box store.

Our original plan was to go with some dark walls where the TV was going to go and then switch to a lighter color on the walls behind the seating. But while surfing around one day I found a basement that had a 2 tone paint scheme so we decided to go with the same thing, here we are ready for paint.

Here is the TV area painted with Iced Espresso paint, you can see the audio rack on the left hand side.

This is behind the seating area that shows the 2 tone paint, the color on top is Rich Taupe and the bottom is Iced Espresso as well. The area is ready for the laminate flooring to be laid. The wall sconces I picked up at Lowes for $15 each, they are ceramic and the box claims that they can be painted.

So I get ready to put in the ceiling and not sure how I am going to get this laser level high enough. Where there is a will there is a way!!!

Laminate floor is Smokey Mountain Maple.

Audio rack all trimmed out and ready to go. I will create a seperate post on how I built my audio rack.

New furniture arrived. It is Palliser and the color is Bella Bon Bon in Microfibre.

The laminate flooring is now done, I have a section of ceiling to finish off as well as some baseboard and chair rail, a cabinet with countertop and a couple of bifold doors to hang as well. Once this is done, this room is done. All I have to do is get my cables, which are ready for pickup.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-20-2009, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Another speed build thanks to the magic of time lapse photography! Very envious of the seemingly lightning fast progress - and it's looking great! Keep the photos coming!

And with the photos imbedded you're much more likely to get more feedback/commentary. Most of us are too lazy to click on photo attachments.

Sounds like you're planning on a TV instead of a projector. Is that because you already own the equipment?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #6 of 19 Old 12-20-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Nice looking space you have going there. The room will be extremely lively with the wood flooring. I'd strongly recommend a larger area rug between you and the speakers at a minimum.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #7 of 19 Old 12-21-2009, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Time lapse photography is great isn't it!

I have an existing LCD rear projection that will be moved to the basement, no projector because there is too much general television watching. Maybe in the future if I can find a reasonably priced projector that will give me HD and have good bulb life and won't cost me an arm and a leg for a new bulb. Either that or a 60" plasma or the like.

Funny the area rug is mentioned, my wife and I were actually thinking of doing just that.

I need to do some cleanup and finish off the trim and I will post some more pics. WAF is off the scale here!!!
post #8 of 19 Old 12-21-2009, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
1080p projectors are $1000 nowadays.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #9 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

I got the room finished, this is picture of the wall where the TV and stand will sit.

A friend of ours came over and helped me move the TV and stand downstairs. It wasn't heavy but it was awkward. Here we are doing some channel surfing, just so happened to stumble on Pirates of the Carribean.

The crabs from Pirates....

post #10 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 PM

NICEEEE rack....equipment rack that is...
What kind of paint did you use for the tv room? The dark brown one.

this forum is EVIL
I was happy with LCD-PS3 last year.
Current Project http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1202055
post #11 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Did you spray the inside of your rack or roll it? I built mine from birch and wasnt sure I should paint it once im ready to. I like the trim around it though, I might have to steal that look.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

To kingcac. The dark brown color is Iced Espresso. Not sure if I can post where I got it, so you can send me a personal email and I will reply.

To Remax. I actually brushed it entirely. Got really good coverage with it, at least I think so. The black color is called Beluga and I had her put to more shots of black tint in it to make it even darker, I can give you the actual mixture that is on the can if you want the same color. It is really dark. Don't use flat, use an eggshell. I am having a hard time getting the dust off it. I have to use a damp cloth all the time. You can use the look, but you have to post a pic of your result!
post #13 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words and no offence taken. The TV is what we had so it just got relocated. The idea of a projector has been kicked around here. The challenge is that we watch alot of tv still with it. The lamp hours on the tv according to it hour meter a few months ago was 8500 hours. So I expect it will go shortly and I will have to deal with it then. No worries with the thread hijack, I like to know what people are thinking because the projector just may end up here.

The screen shot you took didn't come through, I would like to see it. Maybe you can PM me with the info on your projector.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice basement - great work -- agree with poster above a PJ will blow you away

Not sure what your budget is, but you can do a "cheap" plasma 720p for $500-900 depending on size and then a screen in front and projector behind. This solves your regular 30 min tv watching. Now if you are watching TV shows etc then why not have a big screen. The only reason I can watch glee with my wife is because I enjoy hearing the speakers come to live and the picture is good . If she wants to watch upstairs on the TV it is when I am not home....
post #15 of 19 Old 01-22-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have a 42" 720p plasma that I could wall mount there and put the screen in front like Piomaniac has done and this would work. Quite likely would only be able to use a 100" screen on that wall and the wall sconce would have to come off, not a big deal. If I do that, the 50" can go back to its original home. I know that I got resounding approval from everyone here, I just have to find out how to pay for it
post #16 of 19 Old 01-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Why would you be limited to a 100" screen, I don't see anything that would limit you??????
post #17 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

I took another look at what I have down there and it appears that I am not restricted to it. In the picture you will see that the wall comes out (about 8") on the left hand side. I was thinking that is where the screen would go. But taking another look at it the plasma would go on that wall and with the thickness of the mount and the plasma and placing the screen in front of it, I think the larger screen would work.

Anyone wanna donate to my projector/screen fund?
post #18 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Very,very nice room. I love your colors, very classy looking. I have to say though as others this room is begging, pleading, no actually DEMANDING a projector. When your tv goes belly up you need to "upgrade" for sure.

Nice work!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by va3eam View Post

I took another look at what I have down there and it appears that I am not restricted to it. In the picture you will see that the wall comes out (about 8") on the left hand side. I was thinking that is where the screen would go. But taking another look at it the plasma would go on that wall and with the thickness of the mount and the plasma and placing the screen in front of it, I think the larger screen would work.

Anyone wanna donate to my projector/screen fund?

The thing is that you now built a great place. So just go ahead and see what needs to be done to put a PJ and screen up and that is cheap. Such as HDMI run to PJ location, power to PJ location etc then you can just look around for when you have the money to complete the install and do it - not like you have to do it tomorrow.....

monoprice has cheap electrical screens (I know who would have thunk it) so the PJ and mount is your only real cost and you could get that from $700 up to $10K since budget is an issue I would say (from looking at threads here) that you would be OK with a $700 PJ and very very happy with several PJ's under $2K - not sure what your budget would be).
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page