Can I connect 3 HDMI cables together with 2 couplers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone ever do this? Would using 2 HDMI couplers allow me to successfully connect 3 relatively short (6', 15', 6') HDMI cables together? I never tried this before and it would be the easiest solution for my current install. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-17-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That's a lot of connections for HDMI which is widely known to be finicky at best. I would test it out first....the best practice, though, would be a single cable of appropriate length.

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
post #3 of 7 Old 01-17-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
It is alway best to have as few connections as possible. But this is no worse than having a HDMI cable in the wall and cables from the wall to the display and the source. A lot of people do that with even longer runs.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. We miscalculated the length of the middle run and at this point it would be quite a hassle to remove it and add a slightly longer cable. I'm hoping that since it is a relatively short run (<30') it will still work ok.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
You had better test it first first... To be safe, go find some Cat5e cable and run two of those if you can along with your HDMI. That will at least allow you to run HDMI baluns. Or run something to pull a new one piece HDMI cable through in case you have a failure.

And you need two Cat5e cables to get a full HDMI signal over baluns.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I was for awhile running 1080i from my Tivo, and 1080p from Xbox360 and PC, to my bedroom from the living room (in my last apt). From the 4x2 monoprice HDMI matrix switch in the living room, the output to the bedroom went through as 12' cable, faceplate w/ cable saver, 15' cable, another faceplate, then 30' cable and then plugged into a 2 port HDMI switch (which I used solely because it output any DD/DTS/2.0 PCM over toslink to my old receiver in the bedroom). All cables / wall plates and matrix switch from monoprice, the small switch in the bedroom was from ebay.

I did have problems before putting in a switch at the end of that chain going direct to the Moome card in my old NEC ISS, but using an old 5 port 1.1 switch from monoprice (prior to the one w/ the SPDIF out) fixed that.

So, you can actually go pretty far and with some crazy combinations but it will depend on your gear. If it doesn't work, throw in some switches that have equalizers and it may save the day.

(I'm not running this insane setup at this point and have nothing in the bedroom yet, I recently moved to a house and haven't yet wired everything up but will be going the structured wiring route)
post #7 of 7 Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have any of you successfully used HDMI wall plates like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=7330&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Would make for a clean install, but I'm concerned about potential signal issues going from a cable box HDMI to wall plate then HDMI behind the wall to 2nd wall plate to HDMI to TV. Bad idea?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page