Music System setup for around $1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 02-06-2010, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I listened to Bose 901 setup the other day and was very impressed. But like many others here, I think Bose are way over priced for the quality you get out of them. Can I get the same quality in a different package and price? I am looking for something around $1000 for the entire setup (speakers, receiver and player). I am looking for tiny/small speakers. The set up is primarily for listening to music but might play a movie once in a while (Blu Ray capability is not a must but HDMI input will be nice). It will be setup in a 16' x 16' room. I am planning on mounting the speakers on the walls. I have outlets setup in the walls for upto 8 speakers (4 corners and 4 centers). Hope I am not asking for too much. Would really appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-06-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You will get more help in the speaker forum, but I would highly recommend that you steer clear of anything BOSE. You are going to pay a premium over anything else and not get as much "performance" in return.

Since you are here I will give you my recommendation for about a grand. I have an Onkyo TX-SR507 and the Klipsch Quintet III with the sub 10. Not earth shattering, but much better than anything BOSE would have and still a pretty small form factor. You can see pictures of the speakers in my build thread, link at the bottom of the page.

Onkyo clickie. Klipsch clickie.

The total for the receiver, speakers, and the sub was under a grand. Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'll post in speakers but thanks for the recommendations, appreciate it very much. Both the receiver and the speakers have rave reviews. Any recommendations for the player? Also, any idea how well Energy Take Classic 5.1 and Energy RC-Micro 5.1 compare with Klipsch Quintet IIIs?
post #4 of 23 Old 02-06-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcbe View Post

Ok, I'll post in speakers but thanks for the recommendations, appreciate it very much. Both the receiver and the speakers have rave reviews. Any recommendations for the player? Also, any idea how well Energy Take Classic 5.1 and Energy RC-Micro 5.1 compare with Klipsch Quintet IIIs?

You will find that there are many variables when it comes to speakers one of those variables is how speakers "sound" different to different people. What sound I like may not be the sound you like. So take peoples recommendations on speakers with a grain of salt. I have not hear the Energy's but they also get high marks, so I don't think you could go wrong either way.

With regards to a player, I have the JVC XV-BP1, clickie and I love it. It is somewhat hard to find, but if you can find one it makes a great BR player and also does very well with regular DVD's. I think I paid right around $150.00 for mine, money well spent.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #5 of 23 Old 02-06-2010, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'll go to one of the stores that specializes in home theater systems and check out some speakers for myself. Just did a quick search and JVC XV-BP1 has great reviews too. Many Thanks.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I'll go to one of the stores that specializes in home theater systems and check out some speakers for myself. Just did a quick search and JVC XV-BP1 has great reviews too. Many Thanks.

Your welcome. I searched for your thread in the speakers forum and from what I could tell you did not get much advise, sorry bout that, maybe this was the right forum to post. You got the best opinion out there, MINE! Ha!

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #7 of 23 Old 02-07-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Your welcome. I searched for your thread in the speakers forum and from what I could tell you did not get much advise, sorry bout that, maybe this was the right forum to post. You got the best opinion out there, MINE! Ha!

I did get a couple of useful responses in Speakers since, I did some research of my own as well. Of course yours is one of the best options I have so far

BTW, will you recommend me getting a Onkyo TX-SR607 instead of 507, that way I have an option of adding more speakers and potentially a sub to the setup later on.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-07-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did get a couple of useful responses in Speakers since, I did some research of my own as well. Of course yours is one of the best options I have so far

BTW, will you recommend me getting a Onkyo TX-SR607 instead of 507, that way I have an option of adding more speakers and potentially a sub to the setup later on.

Yup, if your planning on 7.1 in the future then I would recommend stepping up to the 607, that makes perfect sense. Go for it. I just went with the 507 because I got a pretty good package deal and I only needed 5.1.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #9 of 23 Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

Do you have any opinion about RC Minis and Aperion 4Bs. Any idea how they compare?

RC Mini>>

Aperion 4B>>
post #10 of 23 Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The Aperion's are on my short list for my theater. They are a great quality speaker and come highly recommended. Also on my radar screen is SVS and Ascend

SVS

Ascend

These two companies also come highly regarded and have their own threads in the speaker forum.

Regards,

RTROSE

Again I caution that I have no personal experience with anything other than my Klipsch's, and I recommend the above by reputation alone.

post #11 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Really appreciate mentioning about these brands. They seem to have some serious following. I did some research and found HTM-200 from Ascend very interesting. Its size is about the largest I was going to consider. But it seems like they are more suitable for sorround duty than as mains. I was not able to find much information on their performance as mains. The CBM-170 has great reviews but they seem too big for my requirements. Ascend's pricing is very attractive as they give discounts as you add more speakers to the package. Their Finish options are pretty good too. They even give an unfinished cabinet so you could finish it to your needs.

My biggest issue now is to find stores that specialize in home theater systems to check out some speakers in person. There is a Best Buy near by but other than that I couldn't find any other place. I live in Atlanta, GA. Any recommendations?
post #12 of 23 Old 02-11-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks RTROSE. Really appreciate all the valuable info.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM

check out av123. com they have phenomenal products. I have used their Rocket line and they are a great buy. The ELT gets excellent reviews for their system.

Also, check out the Energy take system for your rears and match them to the mains and center of your choice. I am LOVING my new setup.

Denon AVR-1910--- $450
Energy Take 5 pack (4 surrounds and center)--- $130 (newegg special)
Energy C-300 mains (L&R) --- $260 (vanns.com)
Panasonic BD-60 blu-ray--- $129 (sears special)

will be upgrading to a different Energy center as soon as I decide.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-14-2010, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Congrants on your new home theater setup. Looks really nice. Thanks for your recommendation. I changed course after more reading and some recommendations though, I am thinking of going for a 2.0 setup with a pair of high end speakers instead of a 7.1 setup. I narrowed down to two models, Swan D2.1 SE and Ascend Sierra 1. Both have phenominal reviews and I am torn between the two. Any advice on the kind of electronics (amps, preamps, receivers, players) I need to drive these speakers from the perspective of music listening?
post #15 of 23 Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Congrants on your new home theater setup. Looks really nice. Thanks for your recommendation. I changed course after more reading and some recommendations though, I am thinking of going for a 2.0 setup with a pair of high end speakers instead of a 7.1 setup. I narrowed down to two models, Swan D2.1 SE and Ascend Sierra 1. Both have phenominal reviews and I am torn between the two. Any advice on the kind of electronics (amps, preamps, receivers, players) I need to drive these speakers from the perspective of music listening?

I have read more about the Ascends than the Swans, but there is nothing saying you could not contact a CS rep and see what they recommend as far as equipment and or wattage. Some speakers will sound different with different AVR's and some speakers need lots of power while others do not.

For Ascend since they sell HK branded AVR's they "might" be a good match for the Sierra's. Go to the respective owners threads and see what the majority of the owners use or suggest.

Good Luck, you are maturing and learning, this is a good thing. Isn't AVS EVIL????? Without AVS (oh and me too ) you would have just have bought BOSE and blindly continued on in blissful ignorance!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #16 of 23 Old 02-15-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

I have a 2 channel rig for my vinyl collection. Right now I am running a rotel pre-amp, Denon HDCD player, and Thorens turntable. I am in decision for a new 2 channel amp.

I have not personally heard the Swans, although I've heard decent reviews. I can't speak highly enough about av123 .com , you should definately take a look. What is your budget for your speakers?

Have you looked at the used market? I would recommend Paradigm speakers as well and you can could look into them used with great results.

check out audiogon .com for high end used equipment.

So is this no longer for your theater, but for 2 channel audio?
post #17 of 23 Old 02-15-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:

You will get more help in the speaker forum, but I would highly recommend that you steer clear of anything BOSE. You are going to pay a premium over anything else and not get as much "performance" in return.

Since you are here I will give you my recommendation for about a grand. I have an Onkyo TX-SR507 and the Klipsch Quintet III with the sub 10. Not earth shattering, but much better than anything BOSE would have and still a pretty small form factor. You can see pictures of the speakers in my build thread, link at the bottom of the page.

Onkyo clickie. Klipsch clickie.

The total for the receiver, speakers, and the sub was under a grand. Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

RT, I have nearly the identical setup. Well, not even set-up, yet!! I have the 607 and the same Klipsch speakers and they sure do look great! I have a 10" Sony powered sub that I will try out for size. If I don't like it I will be looking for a sub to add.

I will soon find out how this all sounds (not soon enough!). I have started a build thread (finally), so I'll be posting about this soon enough.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Good Luck, you are maturing and learning, this is a good thing.

Haha, I am glad you noticed

Quote:

Isn't AVS EVIL????? Without AVS (oh and me too ) you would have just have bought BOSE and blindly continued on in blissful ignorance!

Of course, thanks to you and AVS for breaking my budget . Kidding of course, I am only thankful.

BTW, I have placed an order for a pair of Swan D 2.1 SE, I checked on Sierra 1 too but they are out of stock for the next 3 weeks but I need something sooner.

I didnt get any reply in a few days on electronics in my post in Speakers so I created this new thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18158116
post #19 of 23 Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrocious View Post

So is this no longer for your theater, but for 2 channel audio?

I am going to setup a 2.0 system for now but would like to have the possibly to add more speakers later on. It will be mainly used to listen to music, so to start with a 2.0 system with a pair of nicer speakers makes a lot of sense from this perspective.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-26-2010, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Alright guys, here is what I ended up purchasing...

Oppo BDP 80
Pioneer VSX 9040 TXH
Swan D2.1 SE for R & L
Energy Take 5.0 for Sorround and Center

I still need to get a sub. I am thinking of HSU STF 1.

As you can see I had to change my budget, as in doubling it.

The system is worth every penny and much more...
post #21 of 23 Old 02-26-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Alright guys, here is what I ended up purchasing...

Oppo BDP 80
Pioneer VSX 9040 TXH
Swan D2.1 SE for R & L
Energy Take 5.0 for Sorround and Center

I still need to get a sub. I am thinking of HSU STF 1.

As you can see I had to change my budget, as in doubling it.

The system is worth every penny and much more...

Awesome!! you'll be thrilled!! you'll probably want to get a better center channel down the road to match your Swans, but it gets the job done for me for the time being.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-27-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats,

I don't think for a second you won't enjoy your new set up!

Now go make your ears bleed! Ok, not bleed but go have fun anyway!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #23 of 23 Old 03-11-2010, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

I am really glad you guys approve. Since I am in the middle of a big move, I haven't been able to check out the system in any significant way. It might take a couple of months before I could do that. To the extent I was able to play with it I am quite happy.

BTW, I have placed an order for an HSU STF 2 sub. At $20 more than the STF 1, I thought it was a no brainer. Although the lows from the Swans are impressive, I was wrong thinking I could do without a dedicated sub.

Yes, a better center would be a good idea down the road. Probably Swan D1.1 center would fit well with D2.1 mains. And perhaps a Stereo Amp to power the mains. But I'll see if I need one for my 16 x 16 x 10 room.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page