A question of cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my tube TV went out yesterday and I'm finally getting an LCD tv. Thinking of a vizio as I hear generally good things about them and the price range fits well with the budget. Probably shooting for 32 - 37 inch.

Anyway. I want everything to work as well as possible without having to spend a fortune, and not looking to upgrade things I don't have to.

Right now we do not have cable, receive some channels over the airwaves, but mostly watch movies via DVD. I have a Philips DVD player that can output component, composite, or HDMI. I currently have it as component, which works nicely. However, the new TV I think will only have one component-in. Which I planned to use by upgrading the cable for the Wii.

I could use the HDMI to go from DVD to television - but the question I have is this - where is my audio? Can I use separate cable to run the audio from the DVD player? Or will the HDMI rob me of this ability? My processor can't accept HDMI, and the TV speakers of course are less than desirable compared to the 5.1 surround sound.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Your DVD player, and probably your TV, will have an optical audio output. This can be run to your receiver for audio. You will probably have to go through the settings of either the player or the TV to turn this feature on, or make sure audio goes out through HDMI and the optical.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page