post #91 of 149 Old 10-03-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Time View Post

So...I wonder how I can test this mount in order to prove to the wife it will hold a 67 lb television and a center channel speaker? I am already contemplating how I am going to work this mount in around those connection boxes...

Easy peasy. Just build a mock stand with a plywood base large enough so it won't tip over and a 4 X 4 or a doubled 2 X 4 for the mounting post.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 149 Old 10-05-2010, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice BBQ. I have the same model. And what a great, detailed thread.
post #93 of 149 Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Mmmmmmmm............ssssssttttteeeeeaaaaakkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!! I'll have mine medium rare please! Thanks.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #94 of 149 Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondakilla98 View Post

When we were looking for a new grille it seemed almost all of them are "stainless steel". Well, high quality stainless steel has more nickel content and will eventually make the stainless steel non-magnetic and if I could I'd prefer to purchase one of these b/c the chromium content also helps with rust prevention. So, 3XX-series SS is non-magnetic. 4xx-series is magnetic but I think has enough nickel content to reduce the amount of "magnetism" - i.e. you'd need a stronger magnet.

So, my son was with me and he has this toy called a Bakugon. They are little spheres and when placed near metal, the magnet inside actuates a release and the parts of the sphere can "pop out" to form a kind of robot.

I found it amusing how easily his little Bakugon was "activited" by nearly every single grille in the store!!! Including this model.

So while it's stainless I know it will rust and stain eventually...

@ RT - I make an AWESOME rare and medium-rare steak!!!! SOOOOOOO juicy that I don't even bother to order steaks when we go out to restaurants now b/c mine are so much better!!!
post #95 of 149 Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondakilla98 View Post

Thanks Honda Killa...so...what do you ride?
post #96 of 149 Old 11-06-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I showed the Sanus mount and how I altered it to set the height of the TV to the desired position. Now the issue is mounting it to the studs. The stud locations caused me to have to mount it off-center. How far off-center? Well...the gap between the Media box (orange) and the electrical box represents the dead-center of the wall.

In hindsight I would have mounted some nice 2x10's behind the drywall to open up my mounting options. Thankfully, the articulating arm design allows me to move the TV so it is close enough to center that you need to look really hard to tell it is not right on center (can't see the mount behind the TV).

The "boiler plate" base is rock solid - in fact the design and quality of this TV mount is pretty great overall!! But I felt it needed more mods so I cut some rectangles into the ends. Now, I did this to accept the receptacle box and cut a slot in each end (on a Bridgeport). But, I should have spent a few more minutes investigating it so I could have seen the plate is symmetrical and I only needed to cut into one end.

Now offset to the left - if I wanted to offset it right I can shift it over. Had I cut only one rectangle in I would simply have had to rotate it 180 degrees to accomplish the same thing and it would have left some of the "beef" at least on one end of the base.

This shows a close-up so you can see the cut-outs in the baseplate:

This shows a wider view and you can really see how far to the left the base is offset. But you won't be able to tell once the TV is up.

post #97 of 149 Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice work on the mounting the mount. Well that just kind of sounds funny, oh well. Well done. I have had the same issues as well. When I was framing my wall I did put in extra supports, but when I finally got around to purchasing the mount and TV I could not take advantage of actually using the extra support (although it did reinforce my wall) so I had to improvise slightly. If I were to do it all over again I would purchase at least the mount if not the TV too and build the wall specifically to offer the best support for mounting a flat panel.

Great work.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #98 of 149 Old 11-08-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

So, I mentioned earlier about the wife's concern with my modded wall-mount (I can't leave anything stock) supporting the weight of our new LCD. She was concerned we'd come home one day to find it lying on the floor.

Well, my 107 pound son (about 50% heavier than the television) decided he would find out. We extended the arm fully (about 27" I think) and he hung from the mount. I think the mount is rated for 120 and you know they will use the lowest rating.

post #99 of 149 Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Well it looks like the wall and the mount are strong enough! i don't think that the Mrs. need worry now.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #100 of 149 Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I don't know if I can say it's "official" but started to get back into things on Saturday. I've been reading some other threads and have been chomping at the bit to get back into my project.

I stated (many posts back) that I was unable to successfully run my HDMI signal over an HDMI-to-Cat6 set-up.

Well, I ordered a new 35' 24-gauge (I think) HDMI cable from monoprice and it's been sitting here - mocking me... So I hooked it up between my receiver and the BluRay today (and the DVR) and VOILA!!! It worked!! It ACTUALLY worked!!!

I was so excited that I decided to test out the streaming video of the Sony BD and ran a cable over to my router/modem hub and VOILA!! THAT worked too!!!

So now I'm kinda pumped to get back into finishing this build!! Things are already looking better!! As a sidenote I wonder if monoprice would still give me a refund if I tried to get an RMA for that HDMI-over-Cat5/6 set-up that I bought months ago!!!!???
post #101 of 149 Old 11-14-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Three words for you: Mo. men. tum.

You got it now ... keep it going!!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #102 of 149 Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Monoprice is pretty good when it comes to CS. I would give it a shot, the only thing they can say is "No" you really don't have anything to loose now and can only come out ahead. Glad to hear that your getting back into it. I have been putsing around the basement for the last few months but here just recently getting back into construction mode by painting and working on trim and chair rail. Feels good to make some progress huh?

Regards,

RTROSE

post #103 of 149 Old 11-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I had a 4x2 hdmi powered switcher that I bought from monoprice and discovered about 10 months later when hooking up my equip that the manual switch was broken. I really didn't need a replacement because I changed my setup/configuration so they gave me 100% credit. Now that is great customer service!
post #104 of 149 Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

So, I'm rollin' now, baby!!! Since I confirmed the new HDMI cable works, I pulled it through my "smurf" tube. Since I didn't order larger-diameter tubing, I ended up using 1 1/2" black tube that you might normally connect to a water pump. Works great and was cheap!!

We pulled that through and also pulled my Cat6 cable through my 1/2" smurf tubing to get it over to where the router is. Of course, I'm about 3-feet short!!! UGH!! It reaches but in order to connect it all up, I need just a bit more so that part sucks!!

Since it was nice out yesterday I took advantage and stained the cabinet facing and cabinet door that I built for the cabinet next to the fridge.

Here is a pick of the wall. Note that right now there is a store-bought cabinet in the space in the bottom but that it is a little too small for the space.

I figured instead of building filler rails and stiles I'd just build a new face and a new cabinet door. Here is a pic of the face frame and then with the door installed. Btw, NO...this subwoofer will NOT be doing in this space!!

I'd better slow down, cuz at this pace I'm gonna be done SOON!!!
post #105 of 149 Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

The other item I discovered - unfortunately - is that if I have a source plugged into the RCA inputs, it does NOT transfer to the TV via the HDMI cable!!

I plugged the PS2 into it and it would not send the signal down the HDMI cable. I do seem to vaguely remember that when I first bought this receiver. Now I may need to run additional cables or hook it up right at the TV which I do NOT want to do.

How do the Xbox360 and the PS3 connect? Looks like it's time for some more research!!
post #106 of 149 Old 11-14-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatime View Post

I had a 4x2 hdmi powered switcher that I bought from monoprice and discovered about 10 months later when hooking up my equip that the manual switch was broken. I really didn't need a replacement because I changed my setup/configuration so they gave me 100% credit. Now that is great customer service!

Thanks Javatime, that's encouraging, I will have to hit them up and see. As RT said - worst I can hear is NO and then I'm no worse off than I am now!!
post #107 of 149 Old 11-14-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

The other solution is to upgrade your receiver to one that will upconvert analogue signal to digital HDMI, but I think that is more expensive than buying an Xbox 360 or PS3 which will do HDMI to the receiver.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #108 of 149 Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

The other solution is to upgrade your receiver to one that will upconvert analogue signal to digital HDMI...

...Regards,

RTROSE

I'll jump in and say that having just done this myself, I highly recomend it.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Basement HT/Family Room | Status: 11.24.2010: 95% Complete, Working on trim and details
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°...
post #109 of 149 Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

That might be a hard one to get the WAF on! I don't have 30 minutes of use on this 607 yet! Plus, I think if I'm going to upgrade I'd just as soon get a new gaming system for about the same price.

I guess if I wanted to keep the Wii and PS2 I could find out if I can run a 35-foot RCA extension (doubt it) or I can simply connect it at the TV. However, I REALLY want to get rid of as much clutter as possible.

So, if I get a PS3, the PS2 is gone for sure. I think if I get an Xbox360 it might replace the Wii...

I actually thought we'd be due for the next-generation of systems by now and was kinda waiting for a PS4 of an Xbox720 or something!!

I did see that my powered sub has a left and right RCA input but the receiver has a single RCA. So now I'm wondering if I need to use a splitter at the sub end of the cable or if I can plug into just one of those jacks or if I need to use another sub altogether...
post #110 of 149 Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 AM

As far as the powered sub question, It really doesn't matter, you can get a y-adapter at the sub end but, they get summed together to mono anyway. Just plug in the RCA to either input. It should work fine.
post #111 of 149 Old 11-28-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so yes, I jump around on projects which probably accounts for my lack of speedy progress...

I decided it would probably be helpful to add a centralized location to run all my smurf cables. I purchased one of those 14x14 wall cabinets to hook everything up to.

So, I fabricated a few brackets to mount it behind my A/V shelving...

My son thought it looked cool and he wanted in on the action!!

Prior to cleaning up the edge. This allows us to use the wall framing to help support this box.

Originally, I had these smurf ends coming in front each side and split the spacing so the wires would not interfere. The HVAC plumbing caused me to make changes...

This is the box mounted. You can see I had to change the location of all those ends that were in the left sidewall. You can see the fabricated rails running down the wall on the right and then across the back behind the box.

With the speaker wires run.

So while all this is looking pretty cool it leaves me with how to make all of this come together...
post #112 of 149 Old 11-28-2010, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatime View Post

Got an RMA with no issues at all. They wrote to tell me they advance me credit once I had it in the mail - VERY easy to deal with!!! Thanks!
post #113 of 149 Old 11-28-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro14 View Post

As far as the powered sub question, It really doesn't matter, you can get a y-adapter at the sub end but, they get summed together to mono anyway. Just plug in the RCA to either input. It should work fine.

Excellent, thank you. Will be adding that to my list of cables that I need to order from monoprice!
post #114 of 149 Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

So, what it comes down to is that I now have this box:

As well as this on the back of my A/V cabinet:

I originally planned on having all the smurf tubes terminate at all of these holes!

So, I need to connect all of these wires to my A/V gear. I can tell you I have cut some of the speaker cables too short to reach from the white box up and through the holes at the back of the cabinet. Let alone be able to pull out the cabinet to hook everything up!!

I believe my HDMI cable IS long enough to reach directly into the receiver.

My thoughts on this are (and this is the reason I brought this up because I want feedback, input or ideas on how to accomplish this): Cut holes in the box cover and mount 7.1 speaker connection plates on the face. This will allow me to run wires from those connector plates THRU the holes at the back of the cabinet and into the receiver.

Another idea still has me mounting those connector plates to the front of that panel but then scraping the idea of my "schematic" on the back of the A/V shelving. I could make a cut-out in the back wall of the cabinet in the approximate location of where the white box is oriented to cabinet. This gives a more direct route to the equipment.

The back of the A/V box is probably 3-4" in front of the distribution box. I could even "box" the area where I make the cut-out at the back of the cabinet extending the cabinet so it nearly touches the face of the distribution box.

Ok, what do you guys have for me, throw me some ideas!!
post #115 of 149 Old 12-01-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

WOAH!!! WOAH!! Ok, back off, boys, I can't keep up!!!

Today we were out at that big yellow ticket box store to have them do some price matching on some Wii games and DSi games. I decided to take the wife over to the area with the Universal remote controls and what to my wondering eyes did appear?

A Logitech Harmony One remote - Open Box item for $ 135! It looked unused and still has the sticker on the screen!!! SCORE!! That's about half price so I was pretty happy with it!! I haven't even "re"opened the box yet but can't wait to play with it!!
post #116 of 149 Old 12-02-2010, 06:19 PM

WOW. So impressive, so detailed, can't wait to see it finished.
post #117 of 149 Old 12-11-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

This is a closer view of the face frame for the cabinet door. Don't know about you guys but I love a tight fit.

Before I was able to put the TV mount on the wall, we had the delivery guys attach the base and set it up on a table we had. We had some friends over for a party and they were told to bring chairs cuz we had no furniture yet!!! haha!! Everyone brought lawn chairs and it was actually kinda cool!

But, shortly after that the furniture was delivered...

It appears to be leather but it's not - that was the most appealing part to the wife. I wanted leather - she didn't so it was a good compromise. Both seats of the love seat and both ends of the couch recline so it's perfect!!

Once again... The inspector is on hand to give approval...

post #118 of 149 Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Time View Post

Got an RMA with no issues at all. They wrote to tell me they advance me credit once I had it in the mail - VERY easy to deal with!!! Thanks!

Glad to hear that it worked out OK with Monoprice; they are great to deal with and their customer service is A+. I have the Harmony One and you'll love how it controls everything and is very easy to setup and program.
post #119 of 149 Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

And we continue to progress!! As I continue to move along with the A/V setup I continue to find myself needing to order additional items!!! Anyway, now that the furniture is here and the mount is up on the wall (and kid-tested) it's time to hang the TV!!

We are absolutely thrilled with this TV. I won't bore anyone with screen captures as I am sure the Samsung LN52B750 is on here elsewhere. This TV was highly praised and let me tell you, it did not disappoint!!! We were mesmerized the first time we connected the BluRay and threw in the latest Star Trek!!!

My only disappointment is the A/V receiver is not yet hooked up so we had to settle for sound from the TV. I can't WAIT to add that next dimension.

Now I can focus more on A/V system connections and what all it will take to hook this thing up!!!

While my crawl-by-design build (yeah, right) has been going, I've seen a lot of guys do a lot of cool builds on here. Each time I come here to update I get sidetracked checking in on everyone else's stuff!!! Then I just run out of time or plain forget to update mine!!

But, there is one more huge piece to this puzzle that has yet to be taken care of...
post #120 of 149 Old 12-27-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about your choice in TV's ;-), but I know you won't be disappointed with your choice in speakers. Those little Klipsch Quintets will really do well for you. They perform like much bigger speakers for sure. I have them in the boys media area and I really like them.

The TV and the mount looks really nice. Great progress, keep it up.

Regards,

RTROSE

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page