Family Time Home Theater and Game Room build - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 149 Old 12-29-2010, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, just noticed we are approaching 25K views!! I feel blessed to have had so many people checking in on my little ol' build - thank you!! On the other hand I feel even more pressure to add updates!!!

I have been doing a lot of research and planning into connecting all of my A/V equipment. The A/V cabinet is behind me when sitting on the couch watching TV...and to the left. In other words, the TV is on the south wall, the A/V cabinet is on the east wall, but in the game room side (so...behind me, basically).

I have been doing a LOT of reading as to how to get the IR signal from my Logitech One to the components when pointing at the TV. The solution I have come up with is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Acou...7&sr=1-1-spell

This is a wired unit made to transfer signals a short distance into an enclosed cabinet in the near vicinity of where the sensor would be (presumably near the TV).

I have no problem adding a 30' 3.5mm extension cable from the IR sensor to the repeater and then I can put the repeater in (or attached to the back of) the A/V cabinet. My Onkyo even has an IR port on the back so I can buy a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable to connect directly into the back. I wish my other components had that as it would make an even cleaner install!!

In the reviews on Amazon, a guy used a 50' cord with no issues at all. So, time to order that up and place yet another order with monoprice for some network items that I need to make a cleaner setup for my cabinet as well as the Wii component video cable to connect the Wii to the Onkyo allowing 480p plus upconversion!!!

Those HDMI cables from monoprice are every bit as stiff as I've heard so I'm also buying a 90-degree adapter for the back of the TV. Now it's time to spend more money!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 149 Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Good to see your progress continues. And kudos on finding a way to get a dual purpose entertainment device with that TV mount/Jungle Gym set up - very cool!

Not sure if you've already decided on your IR extender strategy, but I thought I'd tell you that I recently went through this and have been very happy with the Next Generation Remote Control Extender. It's actually a RF solution rather than IR, but if you have a remote with regular AA or AAA batteries, it's a snap to setup. It is quick, easy and cheap (like me), and just works (not like me). Best of all, it looks like a cool spaceship! That was enough for me.

Here's a AVS thread on it if you're interested in learning more:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=979814

Keep 'er going!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #123 of 149 Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Good to see your progress continues. And kudos on finding a way to get a dual purpose entertainment device with that TV mount/Jungle Gym set up - very cool!

Not sure if you've already decided on your IR extender strategy, but I thought I'd tell you that I recently went through this and have been very happy with the Next Generation Remote Control Extender. It's actually a RF solution rather than IR, but if you have a remote with regular AA or AAA batteries, it's a snap to setup. It is quick, easy and cheap (like me), and just works (not like me). Best of all, it looks like a cool spaceship! That was enough for me.

Here's a AVS thread on it if you're interested in learning more:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=979814

Keep 'er going!

I saw that one and it got pretty good reviews. I wanted mine a little more "hidden" I guess than a space ship! The transmitter in the battery is a pretty sweet idea, actually!! But I already ordered mine when you posted this one.

As some of you know this thread has been behind the actual build but we are catching up....a little too fast for me because in reality I am still not done with this.

During this time, I have had two other rooms in the house that I've worked on and I will post pics of those soon. I am checking this from work so I don't have access to any pics right now, sorry.

But, great news for the game room as we are at the point now where my "fake" pool table picture (shown earlier in this thread) is about to become a REALITY!!! Stay tuned for pics, folks!!!!
post #124 of 149 Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

New major milestone was reached!! Woo Hoo!! I know our space is a little tight for this, but I think it will be well utilized!!

I would say it just arrived but that's not entirely true! I believe I mentioned earlier in this post that I had a pool table that we purchased from a former coworker. He moved out of his house and was looking to sell it and offered me the table at HALF what he paid for it (custom-made by TAZ!).

It was black with PURPLE felt...yeah...THAT color purple!! UGH!!

But he let me make payments which I couldn't pass up. So, we had this huge, thing hogging up space in our laundry room for about two years - knowing someday we'd be remodeling our rec room (though we had no idea the water heater would be the catalyst)!

I took the bumpers into Bullseye so they could cover them in house which would make the new cover install go much quicker. We wanted Ohio State Buckeyes colors. But the Scarlett was just too red for our taste. Especially with the black table. So the bumpers are closer to Oklahoma than Ohio but the color combination with the slate gray is absolutely gorgeous!!!

And now it's time to play a little pool!!!

post #125 of 149 Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Awesome! But Vikings purple would have been pretty cool, too!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #126 of 149 Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Very nice. I would have loved to put in a multipurpose/game room with foose ball, darts, and pool table but I just don't have the space. Looks like hours of fun "Family Time" are ahead. I love to play (even though I suck at it) pool and enjoy the trash talking that usually fill the games I end up playing with my buddies.

Enjoy.

Regards,

RTROSE

Oh, although I am a COLTS FAN first and foremost (a closet Giants fan too), I have to say that I'm on the Packs bandwaggon for the "Big Game" today. I really don't have any love for the Packs but I have a lot less love for the Steelers!

I don't share Hanes color choice, Purple would not have been my choice either, you did well with the red and gray.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #127 of 149 Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Oh, although I am a COLTS FAN first and foremost (a closet Giants fan too), I have to say that I'm on the Packs bandwaggon for the "Big Game" today. I really don't have any love for the Packs but I have a lot less love for the Steelers!.

RT,

So NICE to hear you rooting AGAINST the yellow and black. I bleed Brown and Orange so it mattered not who the NFC team was, I am now their biggest fan!! Go Aaron Rogers, GO PACK!!!

And I feel your pain on the Giants going 10-6 and missing the playoffs as my beloved Browns had the same record in 2007 and missed out!!

GO PACK!!!
post #128 of 149 Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 PM

Hanging an unobtrusive treatment above and slightly in front of your main speakers is also an amazing acoustical improvement for any home theater.
post #129 of 149 Old 02-12-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsideren View Post

Hanging an unobtrusive treatment above and slightly in front of your main speakers is also an amazing acoustical improvement for any home theater.

Any "treatment" I put in front my speakers would LOOK obtrusive! I see you have 1 post and a link to a site where you SELL home theater DIY info. I have no problems with guys making a living but NO WAY can a publication compare to what can be found right HERE at AVS Forums!!

Not to mention a book can't give me feedback, tell me when I screwed up - and better yet, how to FIX it! Not to mention the encouragement and support found here and the overwhelming amount of builds that simply "motivate"!

If you sell your guide, more power to you, but if you want to help on here don't be afraid to post-up - FREE advise!

I just hope my little ol' build helps someone on here or motivates them to jump in and build their dreams - or at least an affordable portion of them!! haha!!

Looking around, we are getting close to the end of mine. There will be one more major portion as I build the mantel/bookshelves around the fireplace but that is an issue I haven't even brought up on here yet (but I have designed it)!!
post #130 of 149 Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I feel almost GUILTY bringing this thread back from the grave!! I haven't updated it in months!!! UGH!!! Even my broken leg can only account for a few months of that timeframe!! Yes, I retired from semi-pro last year and now that I am COACHING I break my leg at practice!!! REAL NICE!!!!

With two active teens, I have found little time to actually FINISH this project!! And as I look over my list, I am close; it's just a bunch of "little details"!!!

Trim work, shower stall in the bathroom (ok, that's not such a small detail), cover plates, altering some programming on the Harmony, etc.

With fall FAST approaching I am again looking toward to getting this done. I have added one more item to my list; connecting my new xbox360 S!! We used to have one of these long ago but the games available were not suitable for my young son at the time so we sold it and bought a Wii. Now that the kids are teens, the games seem more suitable and a buddy was selling this set-up so I jumped on it.

I have the Wii connected through my Onkyo 607 and bought one of those 5-cable connectors from Monoprice and it works great!!!

Now I want to connect this Xbox360 up and I find myself searching AVS once again for some information. While doing so, this thread actually came up in the search ("connect xbox 360 to 607" was the search). I also have the Kinect so I need to be sure I can extend the reach of the Kinect as I want to have it near the TV but have the Xbox in the A/V rack some 30' away!!

My initial impression is that I can do that with a USB cord but I am just starting to scratch the surface of the information available.

My other question is how do I turn the console on/off with the Harmony One??? The 360 has the "no touch" on/off where you wave your hand in front of the button and the console turns on. Doesn't seem like that would work with the IR blaster sensors and I did not see an IR plug on the back like my 607 has.

I'll be here for a while doing some research but if anyone has any info - please throw it at me!!! Btw, how the heck is everyone????
post #131 of 149 Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
While I am not sure on the Kinect. I do know that the X-Box 360 is RF. I only use the controller to turn my unit on. So that could be an option. Just press and hold the middle silver button on the controller. It should turn on no matter where you are at in the room. Of course, I have the older elite. But I dont think that they changed that option. And if you want to turn it off you can do so from the controller as well. Just press and hold the middle silver button again and an option will come up to either, turn off the controller or turn off controller and console. Hope this helps, and isnt too confusing.

If at first you don't succeed, pay someone to do it!
post #132 of 149 Old 08-24-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrckonertr View Post

While I am not sure on the Kinect. I do know that the X-Box 360 is RF. I only use the controller to turn my unit on. So that could be an option. Just press and hold the middle silver button on the controller. It should turn on no matter where you are at in the room. Of course, I have the older elite. But I dont think that they changed that option. And if you want to turn it off you can do so from the controller as well. Just press and hold the middle silver button again and an option will come up to either, turn off the controller or turn off controller and console. Hope this helps, and isnt too confusing.

Thanks for the help!! Not too confusing at all and I just found that out tonight. I knew you could turn off the unit with the remote but just for fun I tried turning it on that way and it worked!! Now...if only I could program that 360 remote with an appropriate macro I'd be all set!!!
post #133 of 149 Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Had plans this weekend to go fourwheeling and also put some stone around my front deck that I just finished putting skirting on. Summer FLEW by this year - I'm sure my busted leg didn't help my perception of time this year, either!!!

Well, on Monday some A-hole decided my truck was worth something and I came out of work to find it GONE!!! STOLEN!!!

2002 Ford F-250 4x4, Supercab, Longbed!!!! She was in GREAT shape and it's what has been keeping me away from finishing this project this spring/summer. Have done a lot of work/upgrades (bigger radiator, stainless dual exhaust, programmer, etc.) to it recently as the truck has been paid off for years and since I can't afford a new payment I was dedicated to it at least until my kid was old enough that I could pass it on to him!!!

Anyway, since my weekend plans have now been severely altered I am trying to find some motivation to get some trim work done on this build. As you can imagine, I haven't done much research into connecting the Kinect to the Xbox360 in the A/V cabinet, either...

May hit the Cleveland Air Show over the weekend but aside from that I still have projects outside that I can't even do now (pulling some shrubs and using the truck, for example!!)!!! UGH!!!
post #134 of 149 Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Man that really sucks about your truck. Sorry to hear about that. What a bummer.

On the Cleavland air show. I have never been to that one, but I know that the Dayton air show has been excellent in the past. I have not been to an air show for many years, but used to go to Oshkosh on a regular basis. Love that airplane noise!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #135 of 149 Old 09-03-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

RT!!

What's going on, man!!?? Thanks, hope they find it - in SAME condition!!! My son has been a HUGE help doing on the upgrades on the truck the last few months. It has been some of our best bonding time!! Plan was to turn it over to him in a few years and then get something new...

Went to Dayton in 2003 for the "100 years of flight" airshow. Now THAT was an awesome show - Thunderbirds, Blue Angels AND Canadian Snowbirds performed. All the flybys, performance air shows, WWII reenactment bombing run and the amount of static aircraft was awesome!!!

I went alone cuz I couldn't find anyone to go but didn't want to miss it. Got there early (2nd in line) so I was able to get a LOT of pics of the static aircraft with noone around. Was very cool!!

Planning a trip soon with my son to Wright-Patterson to visit the AF museum, too!!!
post #136 of 149 Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Time View Post
RT!!

What's going on, man!!?? Thanks, hope they find it - in SAME condition!!! My son has been a HUGE help doing on the upgrades on the truck the last few months. It has been some of our best bonding time!! Plan was to turn it over to him in a few years and then get something new...

Went to Dayton in 2003 for the "100 years of flight" airshow. Now THAT was an awesome show - Thunderbirds, Blue Angels AND Canadian Snowbirds performed. All the flybys, performance air shows, WWII reenactment bombing run and the amount of static aircraft was awesome!!!

I went alone cuz I couldn't find anyone to go but didn't want to miss it. Got there early (2nd in line) so I was able to get a LOT of pics of the static aircraft with noone around. Was very cool!!

Planning a trip soon with my son to Wright-Patterson to visit the AF museum, too!!!

I too hope that your truck is recovered in the SAME condition that it was taken. Hopefully someone just was out for a joyride and they will discover it in one piece. Here's hoping.

I get to Wright-Patterson about every three to four years. A great experience no doubt. If you never have been there you have to go to the annex lots of interesting stuff there and you can really get up close and personal with just about everything. I recommend WP to even non aviation guys as there is just so much history there worth seeing for sure.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #137 of 149 Old 10-02-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Time for some updates.

You can't tell us that your truck was stolen and then leave us hanging.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #138 of 149 Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

They were about 3 days from cutting me a check for a total loss and...it was recovered!!!

They found it on blocks. Wheels and tires stolen, nerf bars (sidesteps), battery, tailgate, brake contoller, power programmer; all stolen. Catalytic converter was cut off as well. They scored on that cuz that truck had a HUGE converter!!!!

Dents, dings and scratches on every panel, bed bulkhead banged up, interior has new stains and crap in it.

I shed a tear when I saw it at the impound lot. Cryin' shame. Currently at shop awaiting estimate!! I have a rental in the meantime but missing a LOT of things b/c I don't have a truck!!!!

UGH!!!
post #139 of 149 Old 10-02-2011, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear that they found it in that kind of shape, not surprising but still sad. Hopefully the insurance will make it right for you. It sure would have been nice if they had just taken it out for a "joy ride" and then left it in good shape.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #140 of 149 Old 02-03-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

RT, yep, they decided to fix the truck. $7700 estimate and by the time all was done, they put $9700 into all the repairs. Sure, the truck looks great now but doesn't remove the fact that it's 10 years old with 115K miles!!

I'll post a couple pics but I'm at work right now. I also need to stop watching movies and playing Call of Duty long enough to get y'all some updated pics of the room!! Geez!!!

We have been entertaining down there quit a bit and we have a party for the Superbowl on Sunday so maybe I'll get some pics then!

Last Event we had was a watch party for the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction a few weeks back!!

I have done several other big and small projects since nearly completing this one so I just chip away at the really small items like a piece of trim here or there, etc. Still collecting some items to mount on the walls but it's just such a great room to hang out with the family or host a party - we are LOVING IT!!!

Pics soon - I promise!!!
post #141 of 149 Old 02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey stranger! Glad to see you still visit these here parts! Looking forward to seeing some progress pictures.

I here ya on the vehicle, sometimes the insurance companies do some strange things. Enjoy your weekend and your party.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #142 of 149 Old 02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hey Familt Time,
Glad to hear all went well with your truck. Your room looks great! I've started collecting a few tap handles for a dispaly in my bar; the decorating part is never ending, but sure is a lot of fun!
post #143 of 149 Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Just when I thought I was done...

There are probably about a half-dozen very small details I need to do to complete this remodel. We are looking for movie posters now trying to decide which ones we want and there are so many good movies we love we're having a difficult time.

We have some sports items for the rec-room side of things but looking for more. I'm an amateur photographer so my photos will likely round out the rest of the items.

But one thing I didn't think I'd be messing with at all is networking. With everyone in the family having some sort of ipod or ipad we need a central location for everyone to access music, photos and movies. I purchased a 1TB drive months ago that I can use but I am having a VERY difficult time getting it to work.

I thought I was savvy enough and that it would all be plug-n-play....right...

So they keep asking about when they can set-up their playlists and all of that but I can't seem to get this to work yet. I made the mistake of mentioning that the xbox360 could be connected to it and we could watch movies from that NAS drive through it and then everyone thought it would be the coolest thing ever...

So now I'm committed to getting that set-up so it's time to familiarize myself with some of the gurus in the Networking forum!!!

However, if anyone here has some info or some helpful threads, please point me in the right direction!!!
post #144 of 149 Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I promised pics... But these are pics of what has been keeping me AWAY from finalizing this build... Worry not, I have more pics to upload to the build.

But, contrary to popular belief I have been doing more than watching movies and playing Call of Duty!!! haha!!

We did a complete frame-off rebuild of my sons LT80 along with a bunch of mods that I won't even get into the details on...

But here are a few pics of that...

I added a new front deck to the house a few years ago and FINALLY got around to getting the skirting on it!!

UG NX model of layout of deck:

A buddy of mine was replacing the 5/4" decking on his front deck with composite decking. I took the boards and ran them through the planer to clean up the bottoms of the boards. They had some stains around where they were nailed to the joists and were just kind of "dingy" looking but a trip through the planer had them looking GREAT!!!

I didn't mind the few nail holes as these were for skirting anyway. Here's my helper and we are almost done with the front side skirting!! This worked perfectly!! Landscaping plans for this spring!!

post #145 of 149 Old 02-28-2012, 04:47 AM

Whoa just read this whole thread.....now my eyes are watering. Really nice work. I love the burgundy!

I am here to learn from the pros!

My PS3 Games
post #146 of 149 Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Glad you enjoyed it gamer. Why are the eyes watering, from reading so much???! Still looking to get more pics up soon so be sure to check back!!
post #147 of 149 Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Digging this one from the abyss!!! I have checked back on here many a-time and continue to tell myself I'll post final pics!! But is there ever REALLY a finality to this??? Hell, some guys build entire NEW rooms b/c they just can't help themselves!!!

My sister recently moved and while connecting her new TV we got to talking about this build and this thread. My, how things have changed!!! We are down to only the details now such as some posters and such. I am an amateur photographer so we have already put up some of my photos on the walls but we want to get some posters that show off some of our favorite movies.

The entire point of posting this was not to compete with "the big boys" but rather show what the average Joe really could accomplish. OK, I may have above-average skills in some areas; I mean, not everyone would be willing to pull out their homes' center support and put up new LVL beam, right? But there were a LOT of other areas where I lacked knowledge and skills but you all helped me through it!!

There is another step in this rebuild that I have put aside for awhile now and may not even get to it for some time. I intend to build a sweet wooden mantle with shelving around the fireplace. Nothing too big or gaudy but something to accent the fireplace bricks. That's an entire new project and once I get around to it, I'll probably have to resurrect this thread once again!!!

in the meantime, I'll be contributing to some other forums because my next list of projects include: Tack Box (for the horses), shoe storage box for entryway of the house, all new melamine cabinets for the garage and a complete kitchen remodel. The plans right now include custom-built cabinetry!!! OMG, now that I typed all that out I have NO idea where I'm getting the money OR the time!!!

Hopefully a few new users will gain something from this old thread!!! Now I need to go read the Harmony One threads to figure out how to make the macros turn on components that my kids turned off manually (so the Harmony thinks they are already on when switching!!!)!
post #148 of 149 Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to see that you are still round these here parts. Don't be such a stranger.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #149 of 149 Old 02-13-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

I try, brother!!! I have stopped by from time-to-time to check out some of the newer builds! So far, I am extremely happy with this set-up. I'll try to drop in more often, though!!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page