Worth it to get a projector (Epson 8100) for my open livingroom in my townhome?(newb) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As many know, the Epson 8100 and of course the HD20 are going for around $1200 and $1000 now (deals on slickdeals)

I'm moving into a townhome in May... the living room is 14' x 18x but it's open space as it connects to the kitchen. Basically the kitchen is there then the living and dining room are all one, making a huge living room since I don't need a dining room. The room itself is a perfect square with one huge blank wall perfect for the screen.

This isn't some kind of big home theater project... I've just always wanted to get an HD projector and now that I'm moving, I figured I'd give it a shot. I plan to just keep things simple... plug in the PS3, receiver, cable box into an HDMI switch and keep it all on a 5'3' TV stand I currently use and run a 25 foot HDMI cable to the back of the room to the projector which I haven't decided what I wanna do with yet... because lens shift may allow me to not have to mount it on anything? So, essentially, I'll have to find a way to hide this 25 foot HDMI cable.

My main questions:

1.) will it not even be worth it because of the open room not being able to be closed off and as dark as possible?
2.) during the day, does the image look really bad? (I know it looks magnificent at night in a dark room obviously)
3.) better to make my own screen or just buy one?
4.) I really don't want to deal with a full out 5.1 or 7.1 system for now until I purchase a home... and was thinking of just getting a soundbar (trying to keep the amount of wires to a minimum...)

As you can tell, I want this to be as simple as possible without just looking like complete crap. In my mind, it all looks great... but that's how it always is.

Sorry... this is all this is all that's on the website of the place I'm renting. Just imagine it without all that furniture (23 years old... I'll get to yall's baller rooms later in life )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
My townhouse is a similar layout....here's what I did....I have blackout curtains for the windows for daytime viewing, but hardly watch the projector in the day.....
LL
LL
LL
Old 03-19-2010, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

What kind of price range am I looking at for a retractable screen? (middle of the line grade... I know there's research to be done pending details on the projector and location and light of the room)

But just wanted to get a gauge. So, would you say viewing it during the day is just awful? I have a 46" Sony v5100 I could do something like you did.. probably just mount it on the wall and have the projector screen come down over it when viewing projector at night as others I've seen have done.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

With the blackout curtains the daytime viewing is fine, just your room is basically as dark as it would be at night.....

I went budget, 150" Ebay Electric Screen for $350 delivered, after a year and a half there is a little curling on the edges but it isn't noticeable while watching....
Old 03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Here is the least expensive 119" electric screen i've found.

http://www.amazon.com/Accuscreen-800...d=TYRB8ZH903IX

Manual Pull Down:
http://www.amazon.com/Diagonal-Accus...d=TYRB8ZH903IX
Old 03-19-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can dim/control light so that the room is very dim then you should try a projector. No televisions on the consumer market today have the image size to deliver a Theater in the Home visual experience.

A projector with screen with controlled light is well worth the expense and trouble. A home Theater experience is simply wonderful.
Go for it.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

what about just keeping the lights off........?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am in the same dilema, moved to a new townhome and I have a cavity between my fireplace (a very large built-up brick affair) and a wall:
(sorry first picture posting and I was trying out this software)
This layout isn't quite to scale as the space between the fireplace (the box near the sliding glass door) and the wall is 6 feet not 5'8 (for some reason this software kept adjusting to that and it doesn't appear to have manual input like autocad. The little item on the right hand wall is a wall heater, which has me worried about putting an LCD or Plasma in that space, so I thought hanging a screen would work out best. The great thing, is the fireplace blocks any direct light from the sliding glass door and there are no other windows casting direct light. My second issue is choosing speakers, which I am leaning towards either something like the 5 KEF 5001s or 5 Paradigm Milenia 20s. As much as it pains me to buy lifestyle speakers, these will only be used for theater and I am trying to maintain a very modern-clean look to the place. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures here soon.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

what projector you looking at? And what screen size?

I'm contemplating building my own screen with one of those tutorials everywhere....
Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 PM

It depends on where I put my projector, my original intention was to put it in the bookcase thing I have on the wall behind the couch. However according to the projectorcentral calculator my throw will be too long for my smaller screen (73-75"). In order to get the proper throw it looks like I will have to mount it inside a coffee table (maybe steamer trunk) that is situated closer. I don't want to mount it from the ceiling, because it would be right in the middle of the room and it would stick out like a sore thumb.

I have a friend who work for Sony in Japan, who can get me their projectors at cost so I was looking at the VW70, but I think I need to do some more calculations and maybe buy one at Fry's to try out before I throw down any final money.

As far as the screen goes, I think I will make my own. My parents live about an hour away and my Dad has a shop most guys would give their right eye for, so I can cut everything there and assemble it onsite. I figured I would just search this site for the best fabric to use
Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 PM

Actually I have been contemplating building a screen with a motor advance, that would allow me to attach a canvas print to the fabric, so I could have a painting or photo on one section and the screen on the other. Much like those advertisment kiosks they have in some malls. I would have to find 70"+ canvas prints in 16:9 format, but I have seen a few places that you can order those from. I am all about camouflaging my technology, the only issue I have found is the "off-the-shelf" gears are a bit large, so I might need to make a junk yard run to find something that will work. I am trying to make this fit into something like a poster depth.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

my thoughts:
what is your overall budget?
why few wires? kids? wife? animals?
use a flat tv during the day
use the electric pull down screen during the night
mount screen a few inches from wall as to not interfere with the tv
curtains to keep people from seeing you have kickass equipment
push the couch against a deep bookshelf which is against the wall
mount projector to bookcase
what are your thoughts on a subwoofer?

pics would help to see exactly what we are working with.

XBL Krimzen Rage
Old 03-20-2010, 12:28 AM

As far as wires, you may want to look at getting a rug to cover your living room area. If you use a carpet pad under the rug, your can cut grooves in the pad to completely mask any wires you have to run. You probably already have carpeting, but nothing says you can't put more down... and it can look really nice, sort of create a visual separation between the living and dining area. As far as cost, look around, the always seems to be a carpet shop going under around where I live and if you have an Ikea near you, they sell some fairly cheap carpets.

Does anyone here know what would happen if I were to focus a projector from 14-15' at a screen that is +or- 73"? Most people seem to be concerned about going larger, but in my case I am trying to keep is smaller.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

echtogammut, I installed a projector in my friends loft in the city with a similiar nook, but a little bigger....
LL
Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the pic, that looks nice, especially how it fills that entire space. It looks like at 15' my throw ratio is going to be 2.4-2.5 so if I try to keep it in the bookcase, I will need to replace the lens. Unless I want to spend a lot more money I suppose I will need to engineer some kind of coffee table to hide the projector in (as I mentioned hanging it from the ceiling wouldn't look right). If I do this right I could put all my core equipment in a custom coffee table. I was looking at those coffee table aluminum/leather steamer trunks over at Restoration Hardware, not sure if I have the time to make something like that, but I could easily hide a projector and equipment in one of those.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malovich View Post

my thoughts:
what is your overall budget?
why few wires? kids? wife? animals?
use a flat tv during the day
use the electric pull down screen during the night
mount screen a few inches from wall as to not interfere with the tv
curtains to keep people from seeing you have kickass equipment
push the couch against a deep bookshelf which is against the wall
mount projector to bookcase
what are your thoughts on a subwoofer?

pics would help to see exactly what we are working with.

I think you're talking to both of us...
1.) I'd probably say my entire budget would start around $2,000. The projector for around $12-$13 hundred and the do it yourself screen tutorials I have seen haven't been more than one or two hundred (probably not the best quality? how big a difference does it make?) Then I'd need the HDMI switch and the 25' HDMI cable (thank you monoprice). Then the other expense would be the screen retractor. which doesn't have to be electric... I'm not a baller like you guys... so yeah $2,000 ish. Keeping it simple I know.
2.) Few wires because I plan on just renting this townhome for maybe 2 years and don't want to deal with cutting carpet, drilling too many holes, etc... to hide wires for speakers. Plus, I've never been an audio junkie and I'll have shared walls in the townhome and big sound systems just piss people off haha
3.) Will mount my 46" Sony v5100 for daytime viewing (not like I'd put this in my bedroom... so might as well do this)
4.) What do you mean mount screen a few inches from TV?
5.) subwoofer... again not necessary as I'm not an audio junkie and don't wanna piss neighbors off.

If it were a home I purchased, things would be entirely different. I'm 23 years old and in a townhome and want to keep things fairly simple... mainly focusing on the projector and screen to be honest. And I mentioned a soundbar so I can just connect that via HDMI... and I've had friends with soundbars and really enjoyed them. I know the audio people will just laugh at that comment though haha.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:20 AM

As for me, since I can't figure out a decent placement for my Magnapans, my speaker budget will be around 3-5k for some kind of lifestyle speaker setup. Plus another 1-2k for the projector. I will be buying new furniture for the living room, but I won't add that into the budget. I don't plan on living in this townhouse for very long, so I don't see the point in spending a fortune on the screen, $200 for a DIY job, should do it.

Wires are fine, no wive(s), kids or animals

I have 3 30" screens in my bedroom and I usually watch TV on one of those while I work or surf online. The projector will strictly be for console games and watching sport/movies with friends.

I can't stand the look of pull down or up screens. Like I mentioned, I will be making my own screen to hang up. Possibly with a rotating side that allows for it to serve double duty as a painting/poster.

The issue with using the bookcase is the throw distance. I re-measured my room and I can put an 85" screen in there, but that still leaves me with a throw ratio that would require another lens. I am trying to come up with some kind of coffee table. I will post pics and start a new thread once I get some idea of what to make it look like.

I don't have attached neighbors although the townhomes are very closely spaced. I am going to use bass shakers and a 10" Hsu that I have, although I plan on keeping the SPL rather low, because I am not much of a bass head.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:26 AM

Hey Andy

This will be a good start for you. I had the 8100 prior and just updated to the 8500UB. You will have tons of fun with that epson. I too live in a town home and I bought some tubing from home depot and ran my 50 ft HDMI and power cable across the ceiling, behind the screen and to the receiver. I have a basic paint color on my walls so I painted the tubing the same color as the walls. They also sell elbows and extensions so you can pretty much fit them anywhere u like.
I also ran my speaker cables in the tubing along the floor (flush against the floor mouldings). This solves having to drill wholes and cutting carpet and looks really professional.
May i recommend a projector/screen packege deal. Sometimes you can get both for a good price. Projectorpeople.com might have some sales. Give them a call!!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:06 PM

I'm happy with my 8100, despite having a very unfavorable open plan to work with. Once the sun goes down, it looks great!

My searching skills here, and on the internet at large, seem inadequate these days... so go easy on my if there is a thread about this already. The "similar threads" feature didn't point one out...
Old 03-22-2010, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
my friends have the epson 8100 and IMO it's a great bang for the buck first projector and will work well in your townhome.

Current Projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).

User Tag List