Question About In-Ceiling Speaker Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I'm revamping my main A/V room setup and have a quick question concerning speaker placement. The room has a 9 1/2' ceiling and the target listening/viewing location is about 13 Ft - 14 Ft from the display. For aesthetic reasons I have to use in-ceiling speakers and will probably go with Speakercraft AIM8's (which articulate 15 degs from center). However, if placed a couple oof Ft from the display wall, and even angled at the 15 degs, they still do not hit at the target seating location. So, I firsat looked at building an angled soffit over the display but the aesthetica of this just didn't work. So, I'm now wondering whether there'd be any notable adverse affects if I moved the front in-ceiling speakers further towards the target listening area, and therefore away from the display. With timing correction, and considering that they'd be about 4 Ft - 5 Ft out from the display, do you think A) the sound stage will be decernablly in front of the display and B) will this be a significant improvement over having the speakers hit a bit in front of the target listening area? Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Have you gotten your speakers yet, are you sure they only move 15 degree, I thought it was 30 degree, but I installed mine over a year and a half ago....
post #3 of 4 Old 03-19-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I haven't acquired the AIM8's yet but when I looked through their literature I remember seeing an illustration showing the 30 degree articulation as being from one end of the arc to the other, passing the right angle position half way through. I'll check again just to be sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewke View Post

Have you gotten your speakers yet, are you sure they only move 15 degree, I thought it was 30 degree, but I installed mine over a year and a half ago....

post #4 of 4 Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I installed my speakers about a 1.5 feet in front of my screen, I sit back 18 feet, with 9 foot ceilings and remember optomal seating would of been about 14 feet for the angle of the speakers, so I think you'll be fine......
LL
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page