post #271 of 297 Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Great looking space, Chad! RT just shined me on to your thread because I've decided to undertake a living room remodel in the midst of my theatre project. I have been thinking about stone veneer on my fireplace.

Yours looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing it. I'm sorry to hear about your newly discovered allergies. I struggle with things like that myself. It's frustrating sometimes.

Ah, you made it! Whoot! Now my buddy Chad will take good care of you and pass along his infinite or is that finite knowledge on the subject at hand.

Chad,

Sorry to hear about the allergies as well. It is an unfortunate turn of events, however you know know what the issue is and can address it and work with it/around it/against it/whatever you need to do and move forward. I'm just glad for you they could give you a diagnosis. There are times where you get that I'm not sure what is going on answer and you are no further along at the end than you were in the beginning of the process. THAT can be frustrating and disheartening for sure. Good luck with your knew "altered" lifestyle and I hope you get to feeling better.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 297 Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks Guys!!!

RT, very nice speakers you got, I may have to PM you on some info on where to buy, thanks!

Well, here's some progress, almost to the top, I've included my new Dewalt Tile saw, which cuts awesome, carried two of my Klipsch towers down to do some audio alignment with seating location, may have to consider some other speakers as my klipsches are just too big for the area, we will see.

Looks like the Panasonic Ae-4000U projector, and an 125" diagonal EluneVision electric screen is still a possibility... We will see....

post #273 of 297 Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Thanks Guys!!!

RT, very nice speakers you got, I may have to PM you on some info on where to buy, thanks!

Well, here's some progress, almost to the top, I've included my new Dewalt Tile saw, which cuts awesome, carried two of my Klipsch towers down to do some audio alignment with seating location, may have to consider some other speakers as my klipsches are just too big for the area, we will see.

Looks like the Panasonic Ae-4000U projector, and an 125" diagonal EluneVision electric screen is still a possibility... We will see....

Great to see you up and going again Chad. You are really doing a great job with the fireplace. Now that my friend, is a tile saw I rented a similar saw for a day and it put my little 7" Skillsaw tile saw to shame.....

I have some SVS SCS-01 speakers (left, right, and center) that you are welcome to tryout if they will work in your space. If they work for you, I can sell them to you at a bargain price But coming from the Klipsch speakers, they will definitely sound different.

Keep it up!
post #274 of 297 Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome back buddy. I am continually impressed with your tile work, top notch. Looking very sharp, nicely done.

PM away my friend I will answer anything I can on my new speakers. They really are very nice and by far are the nicest speakers I have ever had the privilege of owning, but I must warn you my experience is very limited.

Keep it up my friend and keep the pictures coming.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #275 of 297 Old 02-08-2012, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Welcome back buddy. I am continually impressed with your tile work, top notch. Looking very sharp, nicely done.

PM away my friend I will answer anything I can on my new speakers. They really are very nice and by far are the nicest speakers I have ever had the privilege of owning, but I must warn you my experience is very limited.

Keep it up my friend and keep the pictures coming.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks RT!!!! Feels good to be back at it, sucks getting sick and feeling like I'm 80 at 40...

Here's a pic with both klipsch towers present, I've already noticed one thing with regards to an issue, but not until I hook them both up and see how it sounds.

It looks like I can fit a 110" wide EluneVision Tensioned electric 2.35:1 screen between those towers, then the Panasonic AE4000U will be mounted 15 to 16' back, and my seating will be 14' from the screen.

I think I will PM you tomorrow with some speaker questions, thanks!

post #276 of 297 Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, Something just wanted to say HELLO!!!!! Oh yea, Now It's on!!!!

post #277 of 297 Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Sweeeeeeeetttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love that. Now all progress will come to a screeching halt! Let me know how it all turns out.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #278 of 297 Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Well, Something just wanted to say HELLO!!!!! Oh yea, Now It's on!!!!

Woohoo!!!!
post #279 of 297 Old 04-15-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sweeeeeeeetttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love that. Now all progress will come to a screeching halt! Let me know how it all turns out.

Regards,

RTROSE

Hey RT!!! Now I'm measuring three times to see what electric screen I'm going to go with, looking like a Elune Vision Reference Studio Tab-Tensioned Screen 110" diagonal 2.35:1 format should fit nicely!
post #280 of 297 Old 04-15-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^Cool! Just remember that hanging the PJ is the fastest way to end your build. That screen should fit nicely into your room. Well done.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #281 of 297 Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I set-up the 4000U this afternoon in my main level living room, against the wall that has a light gray / white matte paint, that's 20 years old, and faded, but after playing Avatar on it, I had 16:9 running, around 110 inches diagonal, and it looked AWESOME!!!! I can't believe how the image looked directly on a sheetrocked wall with light gray paint that's 20 years old, I was in total shock, I played with a few settings, but it looked so good, I wanted to just watch.....

post #282 of 297 Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, now you're toast my friend, stick a fork in you, you're done! I remember when I first projected an image on my wall in the HT, I was mesmerized as well. Avatar was the movie I chose as well. Excellent demo material. Looks pretty good considering the condition/situation. Just don't get too comfortable!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #283 of 297 Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea, Yea, I know, It's not the greatest idea turning on the PJ, but I neede to make sure, since I bought this used, and it was shipped, so making sure it was not damaged, and so on....

Well, considering that is my living room wall that was painted 15 to 20 years ago with light gray, egg shell paint, and I just fit the size of screen that would fit there, and just played Avatar, and after around 8:00 when it was dark enough, it looked good consdiering.

This was my very first time playing with a projector, I've never touched one before, so this is totally new to me, this wasmostly for playing around since this is for the basement, so I will need to buy an electric tab tensioned screen....
post #284 of 297 Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let's see the speaker build pics. I know you have MDF...
post #285 of 297 Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTANK View Post

Let's see the speaker build pics. I know you have MDF...

Shhhhhhh, it's a BIG SECRET!!!! Don't stirr up the little rascals......

2 sheets 4x8 MDF, already cut up, Shal I say, Econowave Deluxe!!! We will see how everything fits, my Klipsch may have room, depending on screen size.....

Were gonna need more glue.....

I will post more pics later, I'm trying to find a way to link up a video I took of the movie lat night, might have to youtube it....
post #286 of 297 Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaker build? SPEAKER BUILD??????? I wanna see......I wanna see...........

Don't be holding out on us.

Speakers..........Speakers........Speakers.........Speakers. .......

Regards,

RTROSE

post #287 of 297 Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Shhhhhhh, it's a BIG SECRET!!!! Don't stirr up the little rascals......

2 sheets 4x8 MDF, already cut up, Shal I say, Econowave Deluxe!!! We will see how everything fits, my Klipsch may have room, depending on screen size.....

Were gonna need more glue.....

I will post more pics later, I'm trying to find a way to link up a video I took of the movie lat night, might have to youtube it....

Couldn't resist, someone has to keep you on track now that the projector is running.
post #288 of 297 Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Speaker build? SPEAKER BUILD??????? I wanna see......I wanna see...........

Don't be holding out on us.

Speakers..........Speakers........Speakers.........Speakers. .......

Regards,

RTROSE

Ha, RTROSE starts the chant.

Speakers.........Speakers..........Speakers.........Speakers ........
post #289 of 297 Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Very cool Chad. Once you go front projection for movies, it is hard to go back.. The other problem is once you get the projector in work really slows down. My build is like 95% done and I cannot seem to get to that last 5%

Very excited to see the speakers...
post #290 of 297 Old 04-18-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Very cool Chad. Once you go front projection for movies, it is hard to go back.. The other problem is once you get the projector in work really slows down. My build is like 95% done and I cannot seem to get to that last 5%

Very excited to see the speakers...

HAY, ack is back! Thought we would never see you again now that your room is like practically done, but with all that work, a guy definely needs a break!

Speakers are in the works, I just got the projector, so funds are low, property tax time is 3 weeks, still need a Onkyo 9.2 channel receiver, and a screen.....

Dang nabit, who got me into this hobby.....
post #291 of 297 Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Boys ... just keep telling yourselves:

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #292 of 297 Old 11-28-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Wanted to bump one of my favorite threads on the internet! Yes, the whole internet. If you ever need a resource for mounting a TV above a fireplace, or a toilet in an AV rack, this is the place to be biggrin.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #293 of 297 Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Amen!

I got a fever!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #294 of 297 Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Hello Theater Chad!

Ok...I'm subscribed.

I can suggest.....based on what you've related:

A 120" 2.35:1 Dual layer White / Silver Milliskin Spandex Screen.....IF (...and only if...) you can mount the PT-AE400U at 12' 10" and have the lens reside just under the top edge of the proposed Screen

Such a Spndex screen is extremely affordable and easy to make, and certainly lightweight enough to allow you to place / remove it from over the 55" TV.

But how long you can do so without having to re-cover the screen is going to be determined by how well your temporary hanging solution interfaces with the need and frequency to relocate the Screen. Once again, the affordability and ease of effecting a re-do is wholly in your favor, so there is that.

But also, even at the prescribed short throw, the Spandex will only provide you with at most 14 foot lambert of reflected brightness. That with a new Lamp. If 3D is in the offing...and you have absolute light control during such times, then you'll make out ok until the lamp is really going south.

The other choice is a higher gain, solid Projection surface that while not tremendously heavy, will require more effort and care in relocation and storage, and a higher degree of "sweat equity" and expense. But the 2 main benefits are excellent. A excellent smooth surface.....and appreciably higher gain (1.4)

There are of course other options...high gain Mfg surfaces...but all of which will exhibit visual issues on such a screen, especially when higher resolution content is viewed. Not so with the DIY apps, and of course, you can Dine out in style with the Wife for a month on the difference cost-wise between any 2.35:1 HG Mfg Screen at 120" diagonal and it's DIY counterpart. A Month.

There's you response. If it prompts others to offer you more alternative, then even so, I'm glad to have helped.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #295 of 297 Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Hello Theater Chad!

Ok...I'm subscribed.

I can suggest.....based on what you've related:

A 120" 2.35:1 Dual layer White / Silver Milliskin Spandex Screen.....IF (...and only if...) you can mount the PT-AE400U at 12' 10" and have the lens reside just under the top edge of the proposed Screen

Such a Spndex screen is extremely affordable and easy to make, and certainly lightweight enough to allow you to place / remove it from over the 55" TV.

But how long you can do so without having to re-cover the screen is going to be determined by how well your temporary hanging solution interfaces with the need and frequency to relocate the Screen. Once again, the affordability and ease of effecting a re-do is wholly in your favor, so there is that.

But also, even at the prescribed short throw, the Spandex will only provide you with at most 14 foot lambert of reflected brightness. That with a new Lamp. If 3D is in the offing...and you have absolute light control during such times, then you'll make out ok until the lamp is really going south.

The other choice is a higher gain, solid Projection surface that while not tremendously heavy, will require more effort and care in relocation and storage, and a higher degree of "sweat equity" and expense. But the 2 main benefits are excellent. A excellent smooth surface.....and appreciably higher gain (1.4)

There are of course other options...high gain Mfg surfaces...but all of which will exhibit visual issues on such a screen, especially when higher resolution content is viewed. Not so with the DIY apps, and of course, you can Dine out in style with the Wife for a month on the difference cost-wise between any 2.35:1 HG Mfg Screen at 120" diagonal and it's DIY counterpart. A Month.

There's you response. If it prompts others to offer you more alternative, then even so, I'm glad to have helped.

Many thanks on your reply!!

I called and ordered 8 yards of the White & Silver Milliskin Spandex material, I ordered from the place you linked in the thread you had showing that screen build thread, I thought I'd buy some material, and give it a shot and trying it out, at least I'd have plenty left over for several screens!

My PM kind'of came up as a hurry up panic moment, so I hope I did not catch you off-guard, I have not been around here much, getting back in the AV / Projector fun... ( I could not stay away from here, LOL )

I'd like to make a 120 - 130" 2.35:1 screen ( depending on speaker placement width and drop down below the soffit ), with the dual white & silver spandex material, trying to decide a best approach on a light-weight frame, and having an outside border for black felt fabric, I would have to verify if I can mount the AE4000U to the distance you stated at 12'10", also I know, it's a difficult decision to take a fixed screen and set-up and take down each time is not practical, and doing some damage, where I may just give up and just order an electric screen.....

Also I remember you painting a electric screen, wondering how that worked out, it looked awesome, that may be another way to go, but I don't know much on electric, tab tensioned DIY set-up.

Again, much appreciate you taking some time and giving some feedback / suggestions!!!
post #296 of 297 Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I checked the distance last night, and 12' 10" would be very difficult to do, it's in the middle of my soffit / trunk line of my furnace duct, so there's no support above to mount the pj, unless I made some special 90 degree adaptable mount, might have to think other options.
post #297 of 297 Old 01-02-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

YO Chadster!

You in there?!

Annual Report time! S'up dawg?!

Over?

cool.gif

The Un-Theater Un-Build