Need some home Theater advice - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 297 Old 09-13-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
GSR:

ok, now that I have two Linksys DMA 2100 media centers on the way ( maybe a thrid one after today ) is there any way I can do a quick test on these to see how they work? I want to test them before I leave feedback for the items purchased, I need to know they work, any suggestions on doing some kind of a test?
TheaterChad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 297 Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,542
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

GSR:

ok, now that I have two Linksys DMA 2100 media centers on the way ( maybe a thrid one after today ) is there any way I can do a quick test on these to see how they work? I want to test them before I leave feedback for the items purchased, I need to know they work, any suggestions on doing some kind of a test?

Unless you have a Windows Media Center PC running, I'm not aware of a way to run a test other than to hook them up to a TV and confirm that they turn on. If they power on and their setup menus work, they're probably fine. I don't think anything can go wrong with them other than catastrophic failure in which case they wouldn't power on at all.
gsr is offline  
post #93 of 297 Old 09-13-2010, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Your gonna laugh,

I'm going to find an HTPC builder online that builds HTPC's and see what they would charge for a dual Ceton quad tuner set-up, just for price comparison, and it would be turn key, other than adding extenders.

Looks like reading at the green button forums, that the new windows home server 20101 might have some enlightenment to WMCE, with storage and network advantages, etc, etc. I was going to price out an HTPC build straight from newegg, I already have a core i7-920, D0 stepping build date, that was in a batch that is easily overclockable to 4 ghz with air cooling, but none the less, it's a core i7-920 quad core, that would work nicely, I also have two other computers I built couple of years ago that could work as well:

PC #1:
Biostar TA 790GX-128M, with a FX-62, dual core 2.8 GHZ, 4 gigs ram, on-board HD video, on board HDMI, 8 channel HD audio, currently using Ubuntu Ultimate Edition, ubuntu 10.04., was using Windows 7 demo, until they released, so I deleted it.

PC #2:
AsRock 939-SLI32-Esata2 with a socket 939 to AM2 adaptor, running AMD X2-6400, dual core 3.2 ghz, 4 gigs ram, older video card 7600 GT, using Windows XP, SP3.

PC #3:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P, with C2Q-9550 2.8 ghz socket 775, 8 gigs ram, 512mb MSI 8800 GTS, main browser computer, using Ubuntu Ultimate Edition, Ubuntu 10.04

So I'm going to put an HTPC case and a new GTX 400 series video card in the mix, and see how much. I'm getting a bit concerned, the Linksys DMA 2100's are starting to get snatched up, the cheap models are few in numbers, getting more money for those that are left.
TheaterChad is offline  
post #94 of 297 Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,542
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

I'm going to find an HTPC builder online that builds HTPC's and see what they would charge for a dual Ceton quad tuner set-up, just for price comparison, and it would be turn key, other than adding extenders.

$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

I'm getting a bit concerned, the Linksys DMA 2100's are starting to get snatched up, the cheap models are few in numbers, getting more money for those that are left.

If prices start to get to high or the availability gets scarce, you could always use a few of the 4GB XBOX 360 Slims with the added benefit that those rooms could watch DVD's locally and play video games.
gsr is offline  
post #95 of 297 Old 09-14-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

$$$$


If prices start to get to high or the availability gets scarce, you could always use a few of the 4GB XBOX 360 Slims with the added benefit that those rooms could watch DVD's locally and play video games.

I forgot to ask for some more info regarding how exactly the new rules of recording tv, and or having movies ripped on your HTPC, I see that there is some that have noticed a copy once type of program, and some of these that are recorded, are not able to stream due to some limitations, could you please give me a run down on how much of this I can expect, I for one am hesitating about this, and even with the movie rips to a 2 to 3 terabyte server, I for one never wanted to trust the situation on ripping a movie to a pc, especially if it's connected to the Internet....

How have you been able to do this with the copy once, and other rules with recording shows, etc, thanks.
TheaterChad is offline  
post #96 of 297 Old 09-14-2010, 03:09 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,542
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

I forgot to ask for some more info regarding how exactly the new rules of recording tv, and or having movies ripped on your HTPC, I see that there is some that have noticed a copy once type of program, and some of these that are recorded, are not able to stream due to some limitations, could you please give me a run down on how much of this I can expect, I for one am hesitating about this, and even with the movie rips to a 2 to 3 terabyte server, I for one never wanted to trust the situation on ripping a movie to a pc, especially if it's connected to the Internet....

How have you been able to do this with the copy once, and other rules with recording shows, etc, thanks.

Copy Once doesn't affect extenders - it only prevents you from playing the recording on a different PC. This does mean that if your PC has a catastrophic failure (such as requiring a motherboard replacement), you would no longer be able to watch any old copy once recordings. But that's no different than if your Tivo or cable company DVR dies. Copy Never is what you'd really want to worry about, but that flag should also prevent the cable company DVR from recording the show - it's not a Windows specific issue. If the cable companies and content providers started making liberal use of copy never, I suspect you'd see a mass exodus of people dropping cable TV service and switching to alternate ways to get their entertainment - it would be the last straw for many most likely including me. If they make it too hard to enjoy their content, lots of people will stop paying for the service to the point where it will hurt the cable companies and I would like to think they're smart enough to realize that.

As to movies, I haven't really gotten into putting them on my Windows Media Center box and trying to play them on my extenders, so I really don't have a ton of advice to offer in that department. I do play ripped movies in TheaterTek though and would suggest that you rip them using something that strips copy protection, such as AnyDVD which should render any future changes moot for movies you've already ripped.
gsr is offline  
post #97 of 297 Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Copy Once doesn't affect extenders - it only prevents you from playing the recording on a different PC. This does mean that if your PC has a catastrophic failure (such as requiring a motherboard replacement), you would no longer be able to watch any old copy once recordings. But that's no different than if your Tivo or cable company DVR dies. Copy Never is what you'd really want to worry about, but that flag should also prevent the cable company DVR from recording the show - it's not a Windows specific issue. If the cable companies and content providers started making liberal use of copy never, I suspect you'd see a mass exodus of people dropping cable TV service and switching to alternate ways to get their entertainment - it would be the last straw for many most likely including me. If they make it too hard to enjoy their content, lots of people will stop paying for the service to the point where it will hurt the cable companies and I would like to think they're smart enough to realize that.

As to movies, I haven't really gotten into putting them on my Windows Media Center box and trying to play them on my extenders, so I really don't have a ton of advice to offer in that department. I do play ripped movies in TheaterTek though and would suggest that you rip them using something that strips copy protection, such as AnyDVD which should render any future changes moot for movies you've already ripped.

I guess I can see the point of if you record shows etc on the HTPC, and that is the only place it can be played back, and then to extenders, I can see that point, gives some form of security. This is a really tough option to consider right now with using media center extenders, with all companies discontinuing on making most all media center extenders, wouldn't this be a nail in the coffin for MCE? There seems to be lot's of talk about what's next?

I guess in regards to ripped movies, I remember a story about the guy that created dvd-decrypter, and it's not a story that people want to hear, it's best to just create folders or custom icons of the movies you actually own, and keeps a library of total movies and or cool customization, but you have to install the disk in order to show the movie.
TheaterChad is offline  
post #98 of 297 Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

Well, my WAF has dropped pretty low so I'm making the move back to a STB. That means I'll have a Ceton to sell. Anyone interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

You have a PM.

You dirty dog, I wanted that Ceton Tuner card Kegofbeer wanted to sell, you already have a ceton card, looks like no waiting for you now, it's nice to be in all the right places......
TheaterChad is offline  
post #99 of 297 Old 09-17-2010, 07:38 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,542
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

You dirty dog, I wanted that Ceton Tuner card Kegofbeer wanted to sell, you already have a ceton card, looks like no waiting for you now, it's nice to be in all the right places......

Someone else had actually contacted him first, but apparently the deal fell through so I ended up buying it. It's on the way to me now, so I should have it in another day or so. Getting this one was definitely dumb luck / being in the right place at the right time. He should be commended for charging a very reasonable price - I wouldn't have bought one above list price as I would have been willing to wait.
gsr is offline  
post #100 of 297 Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Someone else had actually contacted him first, but apparently the deal fell through so I ended up buying it. It's on the way to me now, so I should have it in another day or so. Getting this one was definitely dumb luck / being in the right place at the right time. He should be commended for charging a very reasonable price - I wouldn't have bought one above list price as I would have been willing to wait.

Nice Going! Yea it def helps being in the right place at the right time....

Update: I won two more of the DMA 2100's, gives me a total of 5, I guess I will be getting in line at cetons online vendors, not sure if there's a difference, CannonPC? So you now have 2 Ceton Cards, are you going to use the tuner salad mod to share to more than 4 tv's? Looks like I'm heading that way as well.... Do I need a coax line from my splitter to each Ceton Card? AV rack? How does the coax part work? So all I need to do is hook up my HTPC up to the same switch as the rest of the house, and everything will network from there? Did not know if a separate giga-bit switch just for that part would be needed? Thanks.
TheaterChad is offline  
post #101 of 297 Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,542
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Update: I won two more of the DMA 2100's, gives me a total of 5, I guess I will be getting in line at cetons online vendors, not sure if there's a difference, CannonPC?

The difference between the vendors is largely whether you have to pay sales tax or not and how much they charge for shipping. Zones has the lowest shipping charges, but have to charge the sales tax for most states. Cannon and Fluid both tack on handling fees to their shipping charges and don't get the same shipping discounts with UPS and FedEx that a larger vendor like Zones gets so their shipping charges work out to be $10-15 higher than Zones. Keep in mind that even if the vendor doesn't charge your state sales tax, it technically has to be paid at some point anyway (though very few people actually do so).

Based on what I've seen for feedback on The Green Button, Cannon seems to be providing the best all around service. I bought my first card from Zones because they were the only vendor when I placed my order. No complaints there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

So you now have 2 Ceton Cards, are you going to use the tuner salad mod to share to more than 4 tv's? Looks like I'm heading that way as well.... Do I need a coax line from my splitter to each Ceton Card? AV rack? How does the coax part work? So all I need to do is hook up my HTPC up to the same switch as the rest of the house, and everything will network from there? Did not know if a separate giga-bit switch just for that part would be needed? Thanks.

I'm going to use the tuner salad mod, but I'm not using a bunch of TV's. I'll only be using the tuners on 2 or 3 TV's and rarely more than 1 at a time. Why I want more than 4 tuners is that there are times when the combination of shows I'm recording and the show I'm watching exceeds 4 at which point I've run out of tuners. I could deal with this by supplementing the Cable Card tuners with either Clear QAM or OTA tuners, but I prefer to have all my tuners be the same type because it just makes things easier as I don't have to worry about merging channels in the WMC interface. It's too bad that Ceton doesn't have the 6 tuner version of the card available as that would probably be perfect for my needs and only use 1 Cable Card which would save me a few $ a month. Yes, you need a coax line for each Ceton card. You could probably get away with running 1 line and splitting it at the card, but it's probably better to run 2 lines and split it in 1 place instead of cascading splitters. And yes, connect the HTPC to the same network switch as the rest of the house and the extenders will be able to find it.
gsr is offline  
post #102 of 297 Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
GSR,
OK I made my order with CannonPc for the Ceton Quad tuner, and let the wait begins.....

So now I'm starting to build my HTPC, and I'm wondering what to do, I have a core i7-920 D0 stepping that will over clock very easily to 4 ghz on air ( with proper cpu fan etc, but 3.0 ghz quad core cpu socket 1366 ) but I'm confused as I'm seeing in the htpc build thread, that the guy there is recomending core i3, or core i5, not sure why, but I do want the ability to record to several 2 terabite drives, and I will end up having two Ceton Quad tuners installed, so my questionable htpc build will look something like this:

Use existing Core i7-920 brand new in the box not used yet..
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
6 Gigs DDR3 Ram
Geforce GTX 470 video card
Plextor SATA blu ray reader / burner
2-Ceton Quad Tuner Cards
Minimum of 4, 2-terabyte hard drives with sata
Thermaltake VH3001BNS DH103 HTPC CASE ATX

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks!
TheaterChad is offline  
post #103 of 297 Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,542
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

GSR,
OK I made my order with CannonPc for the Ceton Quad tuner, and let the wait begins.....

So now I'm starting to build my HTPC, and I'm wondering what to do, I have a core i7-920 D0 stepping that will over clock very easily to 4 ghz on air ( with proper cpu fan etc, but 3.0 ghz quad core cpu socket 1366 ) but I'm confused as I'm seeing in the htpc build thread, that the guy there is recomending core i3, or core i5, not sure why, but I do want the ability to record to several 2 terabite drives, and I will end up having two Ceton Quad tuners installed, so my questionable htpc build will look something like this:

Use existing Core i7-920 brand new in the box not used yet..
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
6 Gigs DDR3 Ram
Geforce GTX 470 video card
Plextor SATA blu ray reader / burner
2-Ceton Quad Tuner Cards
Minimum of 4, 2-terabyte hard drives with sata
Thermaltake VH3001BNS DH103 HTPC CASE ATX

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks!

ReneTHX is suggesting i3 / i5 because i7 horsepower really isn't needed for most HTPC use including recording and/or streaming a bunch of TV streams. If you've already got the CPU, there's certainly no harm in using it. In my case, I went with an i7 CPU at the time because I needed a motherboard with PCIe slots in the right places so I could use them (many boards have a PCIe slot that's blocked by the video card, for example which makes the slot useless) and went with the Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer MB.

Why the nVidia video card? Personally, I'd go with an ATI 5xxx series video card so I could stream HD audio formats, but that's personal preference.

I would add a smaller hard drive to install the OS and applications on (500GB or even smaller out to be sufficient) and use the 2 TB drives to store recordings and any other data (ripped music, dvd's, blurays, etc.). By keeping the data separate, you won't lose it if your OS drive fails.

Note that Windows Media Center will only record to a single drive letter, so you'll need to RAID more than 1 drive if you want it to make use of more than 1 drive for recordings. In my experience, 1 2TB drive is probably sufficient for new recordings unless you're recording an absolutely ridiculous number of shows. If you decide you want to archive some recordings, just manually move them from your recording drive to one of the others.

You could also set up RAID on your 2TB drives so they would appear as 1 large drive (the actual capacity you end up with would depend on which flavor of RAID you go with), but would suggest avoiding the RAID features built into most motherboards and go with a hardware RAID card instead as it's a lot more reliable. Keep in mind that if a RAID array runs into trouble and can't be repaired, you usually lose ALL data - not just the data on the bad drive(s). My feeling is that RAID should probably be avoided unless you know what you're doing.

I'd suggest posting your proposed build in that HTPC build thread and ask for advice there (and make it clear that you already have the CPU and intend to use it) as you should get a fair amount of useful advice there.
gsr is offline  
post #104 of 297 Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Update:

I have received 5 Linksys DMA 2100's, and they all bootup fine, and average price was 70-75 bucks, one I got without a remote for 50 bucks, so 5 boxes for 350 not too bad, I'm now into my second week waiting for the Ceton Quad tuner, I'm finishing my sheetrock this week, hopefully by end of Saturday I will have sheetrock done, then will have to line up a dry waller to finish tape, sanding, etc. Hopefully some new pics of the progress, I returned my digital camera, was not the greatest one, but could have just kept it....

Hopefully I can get the rest of the HTPC parts on order this week at Newegg, lot's of deals going on there, so I will have that ready to build as soon as the ceton card shows up. Wondering if I should have placed an order for two cards, and I could just sell one if I don't need it, but I think I can do just fine with one, I could just disconnect a Linksys extender from one room, bring it to another location, and let it boot up, and just use them like that....
TheaterChad is offline  
post #105 of 297 Old 10-14-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twin Citiesville, MN
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Chadster,

Reading all this stuff about HTPC, extenders and whatnot makes it obvious that you're a lot more ambitious than I am - I just want to get things operational for one, possibly two, screens/TVs. Look forward to hearing how your efforts pan out.

On a related front, I'm trying to figure out how to run the RG6 cable from my inside my attic out to the outside of the attic (or vice versa ) so I can reliably use OTA. Once I get the connection to the attic I'm good - I've already run the RG6 from my basement central equipment closet to the outside of the house. I see you've done the cabling to/from attics several times - so can you give me (and my helpers below) some help?



I presume it's pretty straightforward to drill a hole through the eave soffit, or alternatively just pop the cable out through a roof vent, but I can't find the details laid out anywhere. I have pretty easy access to both the attic (with blown insulation) but am flummoxed on how exactly to do this, and the workspace is pretty cramped and dirty inside the attic where the roof meets the floor (and the blown insulation).

Any suggestions?

The Un-Theater Un-Build
_________________________________
State Certified Alcohol Disposal Expert.

 

hanesian is offline  
post #106 of 297 Old 10-15-2010, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Chadster,

Reading all this stuff about HTPC, extenders and whatnot makes it obvious that you're a lot more ambitious than I am - I just want to get things operational for one, possibly two, screens/TVs. Look forward to hearing how your efforts pan out.

On a related front, I'm trying to figure out how to run the RG6 cable from my inside my attic out to the outside of the attic (or vice versa ) so I can reliably use OTA. Once I get the connection to the attic I'm good - I've already run the RG6 from my basement central equipment closet to the outside of the house. I see you've done the cabling to/from attics several times - so can you give me (and my helpers below) some help?



I presume it's pretty straightforward to drill a hole through the eave soffit, or alternatively just pop the cable out through a roof vent, but I can't find the details laid out anywhere. I have pretty easy access to both the attic (with blown insulation) but am flummoxed on how exactly to do this, and the workspace is pretty cramped and dirty inside the attic where the roof meets the floor (and the blown insulation).

Any suggestions?


Hey Hanesian!

Well first off, I have never installed an HD antenna on the outside of the house, I live in New Hope, and the Channel Master 4228 mounted in my attic works well, look at your distance from shakopee to where you live, you should be able to attic mount a 4228 or a newer model with more gain.
I helped a buddy that lives in Princeton mn, where he's at the max distance from the hd towers, and we attic mounted his antenna, works like a charm.

I run a feed line of RG-6 from the antenna to your structured wiring panel, then I installed a Channel Vision 15dB Power Injected Inline Amplifier - CVT-15PIA first, then came out of that to a Channel Vision HS-8, 8 port splitter, and then connected all my co-ax runs to the splitter, done...

I dont like drilling through the roof, try to preven leaks, even if you silicone, somehow leaks still happen.

Media extenders, i will explain later, at work, pretyt busy, thx!
TheaterChad is offline  
post #107 of 297 Old 10-15-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twin Citiesville, MN
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Chad,

Yeah, I wasn't very clear - probably because it's such a stupid question no one could believe I'm actually asking that. What can I say: I'm an antenna virgin.

I am looking at an attic mount antenna, not a roof mount, as my TV Fool map looks pretty good. I'm less than 10 miles from the main transmitter towers, so I already get a decent signal with just a set top antenna, but an attic mount would be better, and I've already run the cable up to the point of the eave soffit. (I just couldn't find a good photo of my helpers with an attic antenna.)

The only part I'm trying to confirm is just the best way to drill through the eave soffit in order to get the RG6 cable INTO the attic! That's it! Once I get it inside I'm good, as I've already run the main RG6 run between there and my basement equipment closet.

My understanding now, from a response I got in another thread, is that it should be an easy thing to just drill through the eave soffit and fish the cable through. I just wasn't sure if I would run into a top plate or something, and didn't want too many surprises once I was up on a ladder, lest I get hung up out there.



So - it's as easy as that: drilling through the soffit and fishing the cable in to the attic?

The Un-Theater Un-Build
_________________________________
State Certified Alcohol Disposal Expert.

 

hanesian is offline  
post #108 of 297 Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Chad,

Yeah, I wasn't very clear - probably because it's such a stupid question no one could believe I'm actually asking that. What can I say: I'm an antenna virgin.

I am looking at an attic mount antenna, not a roof mount, as my TV Fool map looks pretty good. I'm less than 10 miles from the main transmitter towers, so I already get a decent signal with just a set top antenna, but an attic mount would be better, and I've already run the cable up to the point of the eave soffit. (I just couldn't find a good photo of my helpers with an attic antenna.)

The only part I'm trying to confirm is just the best way to drill through the eave soffit in order to get the RG6 cable INTO the attic! That's it! Once I get it inside I'm good, as I've already run the main RG6 run between there and my basement equipment closet.

My understanding now, from a response I got in another thread, is that it should be an easy thing to just drill through the eave soffit and fish the cable through. I just wasn't sure if I would run into a top plate or something, and didn't want too many surprises once I was up on a ladder, lest I get hung up out there.



So - it's as easy as that: drilling through the soffit and fishing the cable in to the attic?


Hanes,

In no way are your questions stupid, no way what so ever, there is so much people dont know about this stuff, the only way is to ask and work together as a team.

The best way I drilled a hole from the basement area to the attic, I located my thermostat, made some dimensions from like the duct work, went from the center of the diameter of the duct, measured across, and picked a spot where the cables would go through the wall, and you have to measure acordingly in the attic, from like a light fixture, you can get close, another way is to use a hand held gps, and you can locate the exact same location where you want to drill.

OK, do this before anything!!!

Call Ness Electronics, 2135 Energy Park Dr, St Paul, MN 55108-1507, (651) 251-5700

I called them origionally when I did my installation, give them a call and ask for a recomendation on your location and a antenna recomendation, they will help you out and tell you what you need to know, they can even tell you about getting the RG6 into the attic as well. I bought all my stuff from them, great place to buy, very good prices, and very helpful.

As for extenders, GSR convienced me to go this route, I ordered a Ceton Quad Tuner card ( quad hd tuners ) with only needing one cable card, which you would need for your cable package, you build a media center edition computer, and you share the 4 hd tuners to the extenders throughout the house, and you only need 1 cat5 or cat6, I ran 3- sheilded Cat6 wires to every tv, so I'm good, you can also use the wireless n option with the antenna's, but I dont recommend wireless for good HD, and you can use your media center edition pc to store and record shows, and even store your own blu-ray, dvd movies, and play them back, etc, its a win win way to go.
If you need any help, PM your number I'd gladly give you some help!!

Dang-it, I got's to go back to work, bbl.....
TheaterChad is offline  
post #109 of 297 Old 10-15-2010, 11:21 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,542
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

The best way I drilled a hole from the basement area to the attic, I located my thermostat, made some dimensions from like the duct work, went from the center of the diameter of the duct, measured across, and picked a spot where the cables would go through the wall, and you have to measure acordingly in the attic, from like a light fixture, you can get close, another way is to use a hand held gps, and you can locate the exact same location where you want to drill.

Agreed - if at all possible keep those wires inside. In my case, the run from the basement to the attic has 2 floors between it. Fortunately, I lucked out and have a closet on the first floor that lines up nicely with a closet on the second floor. So I brought a whole bunch of coax and CAT6 cables up through the closets into the attic. From the attic, they go to the antenna (in the attic) and down into the various rooms on the second floor. The wires are exposed inside the closet on the first floor - it didn't occur to me until I drilled the hole through the (tile, yes tile in a closet) floor that I could have come up inside the wall instead. In the second floor closet, the wires go up through an inside wall (so no insulation to mess with).

If you don't have nicely lined up closets to work with or some other reasonable approach (staircases are supposed to be a relatively easy place to route wires), then by all means go outside. I think you mentioned in your previous post that there was a soffit vent that you might be able to use - if the cable will fit through that would be a good way to go rather than drilling a hole. Definitely keep the holes to a minimum. If you have to drill a hole, it's usually best to make a drip loop in the cable and then put some silicone caulking around the edges after you put the cable through to prevent moisture from getting into the hole.
gsr is offline  
post #110 of 297 Old 10-15-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tlogan6797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
When we first moved into our current house, I wanted to get cable run from the basement up to the bedrooms two floors up. There wasn't even a phone line. I was thinking the same thing...through the side wall to the outside or through the eave or something. I just couldn't find a good way to do it. I finally called in a pro.

This guy came in, spent about five minutes looking through the house and said, "OK" and went out and got his ladders. He found a way to run from one end of the house to the other simply across the attic. Then he came down into the master bedroom, opened up a closet door and drilled a hole through the ceiling into the attic and stuck a hanger through. BUT he did it at the inside corner next to the door so that when you open the door, you don't see the wire. Went back up, found the hanger, fished the wire through. Then he did the same at floor of the closet, which miraculously came through in the garage. Fished the wired through, went down to the garage, tacked the wire along the ceiling and then down the wall and in to the basement.

Then from the attic, found the partition walls and fished the wire down through the partition walls into the bedrooms. It's COMPLETELY hidden.

I was amazed. Money well-spent.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
tlogan6797 is offline  
post #111 of 297 Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

When we first moved into our current house, I wanted to get cable run from the basement up to the bedrooms two floors up. There wasn't even a phone line. I was thinking the same thing...through the side wall to the outside or through the eave or something. I just couldn't find a good way to do it. I finally called in a pro.

This guy came in, spent about five minutes looking through the house and said, "OK" and went out and got his ladders. He found a way to run from one end of the house to the other simply across the attic. Then he came down into the master bedroom, opened up a closet door and drilled a hole through the ceiling into the attic and stuck a hanger through. BUT he did it at the inside corner next to the door so that when you open the door, you don't see the wire. Went back up, found the hanger, fished the wire through. Then he did the same at floor of the closet, which miraculously came through in the garage. Fished the wired through, went down to the garage, tacked the wire along the ceiling and then down the wall and in to the basement.

Then from the attic, found the partition walls and fished the wire down through the partition walls into the bedrooms. It's COMPLETELY hidden.

I was amazed. Money well-spent.

Sorry, If you can use a tape measure, you CAN do exactly what a pro did, I did the same thing as what the pro's do, I drilled holes through the 2x4 walls, and ran 3-RG6 & 3-Sheilded Cat6 to each and every tv location in the house, and ternminated my own co-ax and CAT6 wires to wall plates, doing it all by my self, but I guess since I'm a toolmaker by trade, I can do these kind's of things where some people are not able to do so...
TheaterChad is offline  
post #112 of 297 Old 10-15-2010, 01:51 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,542
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Sorry, If you can use a tape measure, you CAN do exactly what a pro did, I did the same thing as what the pro's do, I drilled holes through the 2x4 walls, and ran 3-RG6 & 3-Sheilded Cat6 to each and every tv location in the house, and ternminated my own co-ax and CAT6 wires to wall plates, doing it all by my self, but I guess since I'm a toolmaker by trade, I can do these kind's of things where some people are not able to do so...

I'm a software developer and didn't find running wires myself all that difficult. Time consuming for sure, but not too difficult to do. One of the keys is to have the right tools - those long flexible drill bits, a good snake, a headlamp, etc. all make the job a lot more doable. Just measure VERY carefully to avoid ending up with holes where you don't want them .
gsr is offline  
post #113 of 297 Old 10-15-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twin Citiesville, MN
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thanks guys - running in 5 directions at once right now but that should be the info to get me there ... as soon as I can get back to it!

The Un-Theater Un-Build
_________________________________
State Certified Alcohol Disposal Expert.

 

hanesian is offline  
post #114 of 297 Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Alright, getting back to having some pictures, finally bought another dig camera, so here we go...

Here's a shot of drilling through the basement area into the subfloor, throught the 2x4 plate and into the above 2nd bedroom, all inside the wall with the use of a stanley tape:



And made a rectangular opening for a low voltage mud ring, and pulled wires up long enough to terminate to wall plates:



I used the hvac round ducts to measure from center line in the rooms, and then transfered to the basement, another tip, if you have a stud finder, you can use that in the attic for a cheater, it will tell you where the studs are beneath the ceiling sheetrock.
TheaterChad is offline  
post #115 of 297 Old 10-17-2010, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hereis the main level 3rd bedroom, with the low volt ring, and the wall plate on the floor.

NOTE: I installed these wires in a way where the stud opening follows up vertically where I could mount a flat panel on the wall,
and run my wires towards the wall plate more vertically to the tv, and at the floor.

TheaterChad is offline  
post #116 of 297 Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This photo is a little blurry, sorry, but this is where I ran ( white wire in center ) my 14-2 wire from basement smoke detectors through the upstairs hallway 2x4 wall all the way up to the attic for my hard wired smoke detectors, I just moved into the next stud opening 14 inches to the left to run the coax into the attic for the channel master 4228 HD antenna, all with using a stanley tap measure.

TheaterChad is offline  
post #117 of 297 Old 10-17-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,167
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Great info, I just hope Hanes is paying attention.



Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #118 of 297 Old 10-17-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Here is the structured wiring panel now, 2-Quad Sheilded RG6, and 2-Sheilded-CAT6 to 7 tv's, and only 1 of each to the 3 season porch.



Talk about time consuming......
TheaterChad is offline  
post #119 of 297 Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tlogan6797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:


Sorry, If you can use a tape measure, you CAN do exactly what a pro did

Yeah, NOW I know that, hindsight being 20/20 and all.

And now that HE figured out the path, I can pretty much reuse it anytime I need/want to.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
tlogan6797 is offline  
post #120 of 297 Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twin Citiesville, MN
Posts: 2,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
OK, I got it now. Plus I have my very experienced assistant to guide me through the intricate nuances.



Thanks!

The Un-Theater Un-Build
_________________________________
State Certified Alcohol Disposal Expert.

 

hanesian is offline  
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off