Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Dunno. It's a mystic mystery to me.

EXACTLY!!!!!

What did you think of the projector screen above that fireplace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 05:57 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

EXACTLY!!!!!

What did you think of the projector screen above that fireplace?

This is one of those things where it works, but just isn't ideal. The screen ends up higher than it should be for the best result (the center of the screen ends up above eye level and people have to tilt their heads back which can be fatiguing). With a traditional fireplace, I'd also be concerned about the risk of heat and/or smoke damage to any electronics that were mounted that close. With one of those gas fireplaces, that's probably less of a concern. BUT, if it's the only workable option in the room, it's a lot better than nothing.
post #243 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #244 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 07:07 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

There's absolutely no need for your sarcasm. Unlike your post, I don't feel my post was even remotely rude and it certainly has lots of research to back it up.

Or we all expected to ignore the Science part of AVS Forums and just blindly bless anything anyone decides to do? Just because a "pro" did it doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. I think we can all think of plenty of examples of things done by so-called "professionals" that are half-assed at best. But like I said, if there isn't another reasonable option available, the TV above the fireplace solution is definitely better than nothing. I don't see how any reasonable person can argue with this. Or maybe I should just roll my eyes and pour on the sarcasm...

That all said, it looks like Chad is doing a nice job with the tiling and other work in the room - probably better than a lot of pros would do, FWIW.
post #245 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

There's absolutely no need for your sarcasm. Unlike your post, I don't feel my post was even remotely rude and it certainly has lots of research to back it up.

Or we all expected to ignore the Science part of AVS Forums and just blindly bless anything anyone decides to do? Just because a "pro" did it doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. I think we can all think of plenty of examples of things done by so-called "professionals" that are half-assed at best. But like I said, if there isn't another reasonable option available, the TV above the fireplace solution is definitely better than nothing. I don't see how any reasonable person can argue with this. Or maybe I should just roll my eyes and pour on the sarcasm...

That all said, it looks like Chad is doing a nice job with the tiling and other work in the room - probably better than a lot of pros would do, FWIW.

Ok, wait here just a moment. First have you read this entire thread? If not then you would have missed the intent of TC's post entirely as this was a much talked about item (TV above the fireplace) when he began this thread. All of which you posted was discussed (and opinions given) between certain members of this forum including me and Hanes, TC and another that will remain unmentioned. Not to be in this discussion from the "git go" is to miss the point. I assure you Hanes meant no disrespect to you, he was replying "tongue in cheek" to your post due to the prior discussion in this thread and I'm sure was actually directed at the "other party". This was as they say totally and completely an "inside joke".

Oh, and I agree completely with your statement about TC's stone/tile work. It is top notch, and looks fantastic.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #246 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 07:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Ok, wait here just a moment. First have you read this entire thread? If not then you would have missed the intent of TC's post entirely as this was a much talked about item (TV above the fireplace) when he began this thread. All of which you posted was discussed (and opinions given) between certain members of this forum including me and Hanes, TC and another that will remain unmentioned. Not to be in this discussion from the "git go" is to miss the point. I assure you Hanes meant no disrespect to you, he was replying "tongue in cheek" to your post due to the prior discussion in this thread and I'm sure was actually directed at the "other party".

Regards,

RTROSE

Yes, I've read the entire thread and have been involved in the thread since page 3. And sorry, but I didn't get the impression that his response was directed at anyone other than me. If his response was directed towards the mysterious snipper , then I apologize for reading his response the wrong way. Perhaps he can clear that up.
post #247 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
clear what up???
post #248 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I've read the entire thread and have been involved in the thread since page 3. And sorry, but I didn't get the impression that his response was directed at anyone other than me. If his response was directed towards the mysterious snipper , then I apologize for reading his response the wrong way. Perhaps he can clear that up.

My response was only directly directed at Mystic Sniper, Not gsr, not anyone else, sorry for the confusion, I could not have come up with an alias name, but my friend Hanes came up with exactly what I was looking for....

I was going to copy that picture and post it here, but was worried about any conflicts of copying a pic off another web site, so I just linked it in a post.

Mostly this was bringing the x-mas spirit up by once again seeing another fine example of rooms with a either a TV or a projector screen right above a fireplace, just showing more proof that someone ( mystic Sniper mostly ) should stick to buying from Best Buy, and or reading the thread " A More Modern Audio / Video Room Design by Theater Chad, someone who has some insight in Design with this, and knows more than you will ever know...
post #249 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 11:32 AM

gsr -- chill dude. You must know Hanes, Chad, and everyone else at this point. This is a laid back jovial group of dudes. Let's keep up the spirit and the mood.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
post #250 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT View Post

gsr -- chill dude. You must know Hanes, Chad, and everyone else at this point. This is a laid back jovial group of dudes. Let's keep up the spirit and the mood.

Like I said earlier, if I misread Hanes' reply, then no big deal and I apologize for my reaction (how many times do I need to say that???).

And no, I wouldn't say I know the entire crowd well yet. I've had a bunch of back and forth with Chad (some in PM and/or other threads) trying to help him out with some of his wiring and electronics selections, but very little, if any, interaction with the others other than reading this thread. 9 pages in 1 thread really isn't enough to get to know people all that well. It's not like we're all lifelong friends at this point where it's easy to know when someone is just joking around or not. That's part of the problem with the internet as it's often hard to convey this sort of thing without someone misreading something and taking it the wrong way. Keeping up the spirit / mood goes both ways, so there's really no need for people to jump all over my case for misinterpreting something...
post #251 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Like I said earlier, if I misread Hanes' reply, then no big deal and I apologize for my reaction (how many times do I need to say that???).

And no, I wouldn't say I know the entire crowd well yet. I've had a bunch of back and forth with Chad (some in PM and/or other threads) trying to help him out with some of his wiring and electronics selections, but very little, if any, interaction with the others other than reading this thread. 9 pages in 1 thread really isn't enough to get to know people all that well. It's not like we're all lifelong friends at this point where it's easy to know when someone is just joking around or not. That's part of the problem with the internet as it's often hard to convey this sort of thing without someone misreading something and taking it the wrong way. Keeping up the spirit / mood goes both ways, so there's really no need for people to jump all over my case for misinterpreting something...

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. Enjoy your holidays gsr!
post #252 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was my fault for not stating a name..... It's all good, I know gsr, and he has helped me many many times with HTPC, and ceton stuff....

Anyways, wishing everyone ( including Mystic Sniper ) a wonderful Christmas / Holiday, may your stocking's be filled with component, s-video, RCA cables, and a lovely bent set of rabbit ears...................

Just kidding....

Ok, who would not want their family room to look lie this?

post #253 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, well, well.......Now that all cleared up we can get back to what is really important. Progress pics!

Ah, shucks......I guess I can cut you some slack for the Christmas Holiday.

Here is wishing EVERYBODY here in Theater Chad land a very Joyous and Merry Christmas.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #254 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was my fault for not stating a name..... It's all good, I know gsr, and he has helped me many many times with HTPC, and ceton stuff....

Anyways, wishing everyone ( including Mystic Sniper ) a wonderful Christmas / Holiday, may your stocking's be filled with component, s-video, RCA cables, and a lovely bent set of rabbit ears...................

Just kidding....

Well I could think of one improvement.

Cheers!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #255 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Well, they say Santa is so jolly 'cause he knows where all the naughty girls live. So maybe that's not such a crazy request you got there, RT

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #256 of 297 Old 12-23-2011, 07:06 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

Can we just get the screen a bit lower?

Quote:

They'd make a great addition .
post #257 of 297 Old 12-24-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cheers!

Regards,

RTROSE

Well, since I'm the famous bachelor in the neighbor hood, this was already installed like 10 years ago, and 4 very wild stag parties later ( I had pics, but they were destroyed ).......
so I was trying to do a more modern family room type theme, then maybe all the neighbor's husbands can stay home more often......., and get their wives off my back....
post #258 of 297 Old 12-24-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26

Man, miss a day & you miss a lot!

Reminds me a bit of one of the old Roseanne Roseannadanna bits, which always ended with her realizing she had misunderstood something and saying:

Nevermind, and Merry Christmas, ya'll.

Sincerely,

Hanes Roseanne Roseannadanna

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #259 of 297 Old 01-13-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Ummm.....................So what gives? Updates? Progress? Photos? Dude you are KILLING us here. It's like you just fell off the face of the Earth!

Still here.....waiting..........waiting...........waiting......... .....

Regards,

RTROSE

post #260 of 297 Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Yes, I concur where the heck have you been Chad. We are really looking forward to seeing how that fireplace turned out. I hope you're doing well.
post #261 of 297 Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, still under the weather, first was suppose to be gallblader, my reg doctor ordered ultra sound, and then he did not see anything wrong with my gallblader, so then more blood work, then came back, celiac is a possibility, so now I have to wait till next week to have biopsy done to confirm, talk about a big change, I have to quit eating everything I have loved for 41 years, and never really had any issue until the last few years, and this even includes BEER! I've been in some serious amounts of pain since the week of christmas, and the real only thing I can do, is hardly eat anything, since Gluten is in Everything! ( especially everything I'm use to eating ) so I've been on the injured reserve bench for the last 2 weeks, and just getting around to having some energy to post some pics, hopefully soon. This is not what I was praying for to start off 2012......
post #262 of 297 Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Man sorry to hear that. I had my gallbladder removed in the summer of 2010, due to issues that arose suddenly. It really sucks to give up food that you love especially when you have been accustomed to having it for so long. I hope your health issues get resolved quickly and you are back to theater stuff in no time.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #263 of 297 Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Well, still under the weather, first was suppose to be gallblader, my reg doctor ordered ultra sound, and then he did not see anything wrong with my gallblader, so then more blood work, then came back, celiac is a possibility, so now I have to wait till next week to have biopsy done to confirm, talk about a big change, I have to quit eating everything I have loved for 41 years, and never really had any issue until the last few years, and this even includes BEER! I've been in some serious amounts of pain since the week of christmas, and the real only thing I can do, is hardly eat anything, since Gluten is in Everything! ( especially everything I'm use to eating ) so I've been on the injured reserve bench for the last 2 weeks, and just getting around to having some energy to post some pics, hopefully soon. This is not what I was praying for to start off 2012......

Wow, this sounds like a real ordeal. I feel for you.. I can only imagine what an impact this would have on your diet and the impact to your family as well.

Take care buddy, hopefully you will get some good news soon...
post #264 of 297 Old 01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Sorry to hear that, Chad. Hopefully the doctors will get things figured out and get you back to normal soon.
post #265 of 297 Old 01-19-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys!

Well, today I'm going for food alergy tests, this will explain more detail as to what foods I may be alergic to, which would explain if I'm eating things I'm alergic to, would be magnifying issues. I still have to wait for next Friday to have endoscopy for biopsy for confirmation. I went to whole foods last night, and one of the girls working there thought I was having a heart attack when she saw my face expression when I was reading the price tags, of what everything was costing, gluten free ( yikes, omg my face was expressing ) I noticed organic peanut butter was 15.00 a jar, and it was less than half the regular amount......
I'm feeling better than I did last week, but it's not easy eating less than half you normally do..... I'm looking to do some more stuff in the family room this entire weekend, I will post some pics then. Thanks again!
post #266 of 297 Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys!

Well, today I'm going for food alergy tests, this will explain more detail as to what foods I may be alergic to, which would explain if I'm eating things I'm alergic to, would be magnifying issues. I still have to wait for next Friday to have endoscopy for biopsy for confirmation. I went to whole foods last night, and one of the girls working there thought I was having a heart attack when she saw my face expression when I was reading the price tags, of what everything was costing, gluten free ( yikes, omg my face was expressing ) I noticed organic peanut butter was 15.00 a jar, and it was less than half the regular amount......
I'm feeling better than I did last week, but it's not easy eating less than half you normally do..... I'm looking to do some more stuff in the family room this entire weekend, I will post some pics then. Thanks again!

I learned long ago that organic, whole, natural, free range, among other "health food terms" just means "Lots more expensive". We looked at going the healthy route "just because" and learned that the check book takes a huge hit vs. "regular" food. Good luck with all of your testing, I hope all works out well for you.

Regards,

RTROSE

Oh, we quickly decided NOT to go the organic "whole food" route. However sadly you might not have much of a choice.

post #267 of 297 Old 01-19-2012, 02:57 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I learned long ago that organic, whole, natural, free range, among other "health food terms" just means "Lots more expensive". We looked at going the healthy route "just because" and learned that the check book takes a huge hit vs. "regular" food. Good luck with all of your testing, I hope all works out well for you.

Regards,

RTROSE

Oh, we quickly decided NOT to go the organic "whole food" route. However sadly you might not have much of a choice.

Some of the stuff really is better and not just more expensive, but I usually don't find myself willing to spend the premium for it and I doubt most of it is enough better to justify the price. OTOH, some of the stuff is just more expensive (and a LOT more as you say).
post #268 of 297 Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM

Sorry to hear your troubles Chad. I wish you an expedited recovery.
post #269 of 297 Old 01-19-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

Well, some bad news, but news worth showing why " what is what ", alergic to grains, and milk, but being lactose intolerant can be had by supplements and or lactose free milk, chiroproctor that did the testing said, the foods we eat the most and crave, are those that do the most harm, he also said, our gut's are not made for so much grains, and many are lucky that their guts can take it for 50, 60, 70, 80 years, not including fats, etc, but in the end it's the only way I'm going to live long and prosper ( LOL ) so I guess it's my only option, oh well, I guess getting back to something a bit more more exciting......

Ok, here is where I left off, after I pick up the tub saw tomorrow, hopefully I can have this wrapped up sunday eve, we will see, especially football is on, and basketball, and ooops, haa, my bad, nothing is on, the only thing on is, finished stone.....
post #270 of 297 Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Great looking space, Chad! RT just shined me on to your thread because I've decided to undertake a living room remodel in the midst of my theatre project. I have been thinking about stone veneer on my fireplace.

Yours looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing it. I'm sorry to hear about your newly discovered allergies. I struggle with things like that myself. It's frustrating sometimes.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page