Tipping Rock Theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Equipment rack is almost complete. Just waiting on a couple of filler plates.

- Just doing my part to stimulate the economy!

Tipping Rock Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

4 Rock speakers are now installed in the flower beds along the pool and spa. They are connected to a Sherbourn amp and the Nad T765 as zone 2 speakers.

Tipping Rock Theater
post #63 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Our deck had been leaking water into our screen room beneath it. So we ripped up the old deck, put on a rubber roof and then "floated" new decking on top of it. Since everything was wide open, it was a good time to install ceiling speakers in the screen room.

Here's our new deck. I was nervous about going with black railing but I'm very pleased with the way it came out:

Here's the screen room underneath:

The speakers are Niles CM-730 and are also part of zone 2. They can be enabled/disabled from the Sherbourn amp and both these and the rock speakers have separate outdoor volume controls.

A new item on my honey-do list is to paint the ceiling white (and take a photography class)

Tipping Rock Theater
post #64 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Looking great, mate! Your back yard looks like it's in a nature sanctuary or something - very plush. I love it! And nice work with the outdoor speakers. Keep the momentum going - speaking from experience it's easier to keep moving than it is to start and stop. Well, the stopping part is a breeze, but the starting again ...

Question on your rack: do you have any glass cover on the front? It almost looks like it the way the blue lights from the equipment disperse in the photo. Or is that more of your photography skills?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #65 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks man! We have our first party of the summer next weekend and I'm looking forward to everybody seeing the changes.

I had great momentum, then went to Myrtle Beach for a golf trip over Memorial Day weekend. It really is all about inertia and momentum, isn't it? Once you stop, it requires a lot more effort to move forward again.

As for the rack, I don't have a glass door. The dispersion of blue lights only exists in the photo. I can chalk this one up to my photography skills, which is a complete oxymoron. I think photography is a generic thing. I laugh when I look through family pictures where parts of heads are cropped off. Yet somehow these pictures still made it into the photo album. Good thing that today's cameras are "virtually" idiot-proof!

Tipping Rock Theater
post #66 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The Incident,

Wow nice update. Seeing what you have done with your outdoor space is impressive! Regarding your Eq. rack; what type of server is that, perhaps a request media server? If so; I assume it is for audio sources only?

Oh one more thing: Don't let Hanes "lull" you into that "Start-Stop-Write Checks-Restart" routine. Next thing you know: crazy cartoons or goofy photos will start showing up on this excellent thread

Enjoy that upcoming party - more photos will follow??

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #67 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Oh one more thing: Don't let Hanes "lull" you into that "Start-Stop-Write Checks-Restart" routine. Next thing you know: crazy cartoons or goofy photos will start showing up on this excellent thread

As if!

We are all serious DIY HT professionals here ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #68 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! I've been officially hanesametized. What a glorious day! I'm finally somebody!!!

The server is a custom PC in a Silverstone case running MediaPortal. Right now it contains DVD's and BluRays and has about 5 TB of storage. Some day I might use it for complete media storage but I am currently using AppleTV for music and photos.

Yes, definitely more photos to follow.

Tipping Rock Theater
post #69 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incident View Post

Wow! I've been officially hanesametized. What a glorious day! I'm finally somebody!!!

The server is a custom PC in a Silverstone case running MediaPortal. Right now it contains DVD's and BluRays and has about 5 TB of storage. Some day I might use it for complete media storage but I am currently using AppleTV for music and photos.

Yes, definitely more photos to follow.

"Media Portal and a custom PC" Way cool!, and way over my head. Wish I had the PC skills to even understand the language that others are using for these media storage and display schemes. I'm relegated to continue fumbling with discs and plastic boxes

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #70 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

There is a guy over at the "Guide to Building an HD HTPC" thread named RENETHX. Every couple of months he puts together a list of recommended components to build your own HTPC. He pretty much did everything except come over to my house and assemble everything. It's definitely worth checking out. He actually purchases and tests components and systems, then makes recommendations and tells you what you can expect to pay. On top of that, he's very active on the forum and answers many questions that arise. He's pretty amazing.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972

Tipping Rock Theater
post #71 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

Good to know if I ever get the nerve to build another PC.

(I actually built an early AMD "thunderbird" PC with my oldest son many years ago - it even worked when we finished). I am afraid that the software is what really taxes my patience and confidence.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #72 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Thanks!

Good to know if I ever get the nerve to build another PC.

(I actually built an early AMD "thunderbird" PC with my oldest son many years ago - it even worked when we finished). I am afraid that the software is what really taxes my patience and confidence.

You're right about the software. I'm still tweaking MediaPortal, sound drivers, codecs etc.

A couple of years ago, I wanted to buy my son a bunch of components to build his own PC. My wife asked me, "Why don't you just buy him flower and eggs and tell him to bake his own cake?"

Tipping Rock Theater
post #73 of 111 Old 06-03-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incident View Post

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #74 of 111 Old 06-11-2010, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Just when I thought it was safe to put away the joint compound:

The above photo is where the wood stove used to be. It was quite a chore to remove it and demolish the backsplash around it.

On the brighter side, my rack is now almost complete! The light switches have been replaced with Lutron Grafik Eye switches and I have integrated the codes into my remote control (URC MX-3000).

Tipping Rock Theater
post #75 of 111 Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 PM

Incident,
I like what you have done with your AV system. My wife and I too, wanted a nice setup, but needed it to function as a living space. Your system has many similarities to mine. QUESTION: I am utilizing the same MidAtlantic racks and am at point of looking for shelves. Where did you get your rack shelves? I was hoping that there was a more reasonable price than O.E. MidAtlantic. Attached is pic of the beginning stages of AV part of system. Complete basement remodel is done and the fun now begins. I had to laugh at the pic with all of the Cat5 cables. I think you have me beat on amount of Cat5 cable run. I routed spare Cat5 cables everywhere, just in case I needed future flexibility.

LL
LL
post #76 of 111 Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! Your pictures look eerily familiar. I just bought my shelves from MidAtlantic and didn't do any shopping around.

Yes I did run a lot of extra cat5 cables although a lot of what you can see in my photos was speaker wire. 7.1 surround and 4 remote locations makes for a lot of speaker wire. I also ran cat5 cable anywhere I thought I may put a TV so that I could relay IR signals from my remote control.

Looking good! Good call on the structured wiring. Keep the photos coming!

Tipping Rock Theater
post #77 of 111 Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

It has been a while... I completely disregarded everybody's advice about not firing up the projector until the room was complete. But I have no regrets. Now it's time to get back to work.

First of all, I got rid of the earth tone side panels for the home theater:

Then I replaced them with black panels. I think that it is a much better look and it makes viewing movies and TV more enjoyable:

Tipping Rock Theater
post #78 of 111 Old 12-02-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Now it's time to address the mess where the wood burning stove used to reside:

I originally thought about just closing up the wall, so I put up some sheet rock. Then we decided to put in a gas fireplace and I have so far done the rough framing. I thought that we would be able to use the existing chimney from the wood burning stove but I ran into some challenges. To make a long story short, I am forced to vent the gas stove horizontally. C'est la vie. I'm hoping to have the fireplace completely installed before Christmas.

This home theater is a work in progress and I get the feeling that it will never be completely done. Next on the drawing board is to install cabinets and a counter to the left of the fireplace, add a bar and replace the carpeting.

This is the fireplace that we selected:

Tipping Rock Theater
post #79 of 111 Old 12-24-2010, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

The inspectors deemed that there was too much horizontal exhaust and not enough vertical, so I had to shift everything closer to the outside wall and lower the platform.

Tipping Rock Theater
post #80 of 111 Old 12-24-2010, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

We really wanted to get this room "completed" before our Christmas Eve open house. Sometimes it helps to have a self-imposed deadline.

The fire burns through spa stones, which are surrounded by river stones. Reflective panels on each side and behind the flames make for a nice visual.

Also, I finally finished painting the media room section of the basement. I used Sherwin Williams Duration paints. They spread really well. The orange color is called "Francincense" and the color of the fireplace surround is "Dapper Tan." My wife picked them out and I was really skeptical at first but they seem to work very well together. The photos don't do justice to the colors. Baseboard molding was also finally installed.

I am very happy with the transformation of this room. Next up is flooring and a bar.

Tipping Rock Theater
post #81 of 111 Old 12-24-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Very cool, Zen-like fireplace! Big improvement over the stove for that room. What a cozy spot to hang out and watch movies - great job!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #82 of 111 Old 12-24-2010, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post
Very cool, Zen-like fireplace! Big improvement over the stove for that room. What a cozy spot to hang out and watch movies - great job!
Thanks Mate! Zen-like is the perfect description. Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to steal that term from you.

Merry Christmas!

Tipping Rock Theater
post #83 of 111 Old 12-24-2010, 08:11 AM

WOW, look at the dust on that fan!!!!!!!

lol I am just kidding, You have done a superb job with your room and I am very jealous! enjoy this holiday season

I had a thought once... but it got lonely and went away.

The Beach House Bar Build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1240927
post #84 of 111 Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach31684 View Post

WOW, look at the dust on that fan!!!!!!!

lol I am just kidding, You have done a superb job with your room and I am very jealous! enjoy this holiday season

Ha ha! You caught that too, eh? My wife is absolutely appalled that I posted that picture. It was one of those things that we didn't notice until we saw it in the photo. Needless to say, my Christmas honey-do just got a bit longer.

Cheers!

Tipping Rock Theater
post #85 of 111 Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Love your setup!! Curious on what will you be doing with that little cove to the left of the fireplace? Also which rock speakers did you end up going with and did you look at any others?
post #86 of 111 Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumavguy View Post

Love your setup!! Curious on what will you be doing with that little cove to the left of the fireplace? Also which rock speakers did you end up going with and did you look at any others?

Thank you! For the cove to the left of the fireplace, the plan is to install a couple of floor cabinets with a counter top to create a little serving area.

The rock speakers are Niles Audio RS6 Granite. I didn't look at any other speakers. These were recommended by the local home theater company who sold me the electronic components. The speakers blend in nicely with our existing landscaping. If I had to do it all over again, I would add more rock speakers so that I could keep them at lower volumes while covering the entire listening area. Fortunately my neighbor likes my playlist.

Tipping Rock Theater
post #87 of 111 Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 AM

Awesome setup. Very similar to what I'm about to start - permit applications submitted and load-bearing wall to be dealt with, then its off to the races. Where did you find the fireplace? Its exactly what we are looking for!
post #88 of 111 Old 01-09-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThing View Post

Awesome setup. Very similar to what I'm about to start - permit applications submitted and load-bearing wall to be dealt with, then its off to the races. Where did you find the fireplace? Its exactly what we are looking for!

We found the fireplace at a local store. The fireplace is made by Regency. Here is the exact model:

http://www.regency-fire.com/Products...aces/HZ42.aspx

We are absolutely loving it! Best of luck with everything!

Tipping Rock Theater
post #89 of 111 Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

We received an XBox Kinect and my daughter got a V-Tech for Christmas. Since all my old A/V equipment was in a storage room gathering dust, we decided to convert the storage room into a gaming area.

I hate to waste things and it felt good to re-deploy my old receiver, subwoofer, speakers and plasma monitor. After a couple of coats of paint and a trip to Ikea, we had ourselves a new room for gaming. Total cost: about $550 and lots of cursing during assembly.

Tipping Rock Theater
post #90 of 111 Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Truth be told, I have some future plans of my own for the XBox:

Tipping Rock Theater
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page