So it begins......usual story: been lurking for months/years, marvel at the quality of installations both dedicated and not throughout the forums. Have followed some of the local legends on their HT journey's and enjoyed it immensely although vicariously.
After having lived in our current house for almost a year, most of the renovations upstairs and outside (new kitchen, new baths, new decks, new patios, new shed, new carpet, garage overhaul, etc.) are finished/close to finished: i.e. time to start the basement!
The house is a two story with a full basement basically 37 x 37' built in the late 80s. Typical ceiling height is close to 8' (have to measure exactly), lower under ductwork/beams. I've been considering floorplan options for a little while but really haven't nailed it yet and would appreciate some input at this early stage.
1) Workshop area, probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the space on right side of floorplan
2) Theatre area (not a dedicated room) with projector
3) Area for a pool table (don't currently own one)
4) Exercise area/room
5) 3 piece bath (sink/toilet/shower)
6) Storage room
7) Bar area - not 100% sure about this one, not a must at this point but would be nice
8) Most work will be completed by yours truly (maybe sub out drywall installing/mudding and possibly bathroom roughin work)
9) Doubt I will have much of a budget initially for equipment. I will reuse what I have on hand (basic 5 speaker set) although at least the projector, a sub and a receiver will have to be purchased
10) Main use for the projector will be for movies/the odd sports party. Primary television is upstairs for typical viewing, including HD cable box - may want to run an HDMI cable from that to the basement for broadcast HD
1) Platon/OSB subflooring to be used throughout (perhaps not in the bathroom) - already purchased and one whole 4x8' sheet installed.
2) There are existing 1/2 walls (i.e. approximately 4' walls from the ceiling down) on the perimeter with existing insulation/vapor barrier that I plan to leave as-is other than removing the vapor barrier and replacing it once I build the other half of the walls and finish insulating
3) Hung ceiling in at least majority of basement for access to ceiling/joists
4) Two beams the length of the basement on top of the four posts shown
5) Sound isolation is not a huge priority, no children to disturb just my wife and I unless there's house guests around
Here is the current floorplan with my fledgling Sketchup (lack of) skills:
The white area on the bottom left doesn't actually have walls yet: above it there is a sunken floor with a laundry room above so I'm planning to wall it in and use it for storage and a network/server room - possibility for some/all A/V equipment I suppose. The central bottom rectangular room is a cold room with all concrete walls - not sure what I'm doing with it. My wife suggested putting the bathroom there but busting up the concrete to get to a drain would be quite a pain. It is, however, an option to consider.
I intend to build the workshop area first so that my tools/some materials can be isolated, including the hand me down cabinets from the kitchen which are taking up lots of floor space at the moment. I'll try to add some pictures of the space but mostly the basement is full of misc cruft/tools/storage bins/wood/etc/etc/etc. I miss how it empty it was when we first moved in but no one to blame beside myself.
So great collective intelligence that is avsforum: Your input most welcome.