Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 364 Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutheater View Post

Awesome bar....even better are the pictures of everyone hanging out having a great time!

I'm going to be banned from the AVS forums shortly...by my wife. I originally visited the forums to build a home theater PC. That snowballed into a dedicated home theater that is currently under construction. The drywall was just finished and it is on to the trim work.

After looking at some of these awesome bars....it is game on! My wife looked the other way when I built the HTPC, purchased the projector, speakers and even the movie screen. We talked about seating for 8 in the home theater last night...and still, she was still on board.

I'm not sure the bar, jukebox, keg, mame cabinet and other bar "necessities" will come as easy...but I can't resist, I love the pictures everyone has posted.

I really hope she doesn't add up what I have spent to date...heck, I don't want to know myself! However, you only live once...we have the money...might as well enjoy life! :-)

Yeah do not add it up. Repeat...do not add it up. It is alot more then you think. Just buy / build a little at a time. It is not just another project just to get done...in fact, as I have said before, it is not a project at all . It is a Hobby and will never be completed...always something to buy or improve on.

This is the word of O'Shea.....Thanks be to Beer.

CLICK HERE FOR BAR BUILD AND OTHER ASSORTED SHENANIGANS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 364 Old 01-29-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Ok progress pictures as promised. I know I know I promised them like a week ago. But, umm...I want to thank you all for sticking with me.

Ok, here is the speaker selector in all of its Mid-Atlantic custom shelf glory:

Another shot from the side:

and I replaced the bathroom door. I forgot to take a before picture as I am a dumbass. So I took a picture of no door:

And here is the After pic of the new wood door:

and one from the side. I really like side shots apparently:

Thank you all for stopping by to my little corner of AVS. Hope there will be more pictures to follow.

post #63 of 364 Old 02-01-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I hope there WILL be more photos too. Nice rack. Man that is just wrong to say to a guy, but I'll make an exception in this case.

Nice work.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #64 of 364 Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12566 View Post

Nice head, Bri.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #65 of 364 Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I hope there WILL be more photos too. Nice rack. Man that is just wrong to say to a guy, but I'll make an exception in this case.

Nice work.

Regards,

RTROSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Nice head, Bri.

"Nice head and nice rack"?? . Why do I feel like an old 1970's Times Sqaure street walker?

Seriously, thanks guys! I hope to finish this project by July 2nd. All 'ya all are invited to the grand opening.

post #66 of 364 Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Great thread! I like others, love checking out the racks here. My wife has given up and knows that "that's just me now" Have you thought of replacing the Xbox plate with a black one. I think I did mine for under $10.

Anyways, one question I had after reading your thread was how you setup the touchscreen jukebox. Can you elaborate some on how you have that running? We're looking to put a bar in at our next house, and I really like that idea.
post #67 of 364 Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Great thread! I like others, love checking out the racks here. My wife has given up and knows that "that's just me now" Have you thought of replacing the Xbox plate with a black one. I think I did mine for under $10.

Anyways, one question I had after reading your thread was how you setup the touchscreen jukebox. Can you elaborate some on how you have that running? We're looking to put a bar in at our next house, and I really like that idea.

Thanks for stopping by and giving my thread a read! I have not thought about replacing the Xbox plate with a black one. I kinda dig how it stands out. If my space was an actual theater and not a bar, I think I would change it out to black.

To answer your jukebox question:

I use an old crappy dell tower with windows XP on it and it works great. I deleted all the programs I would not be using. Basically, stripped it down to make room for the 3,000 mp3s.

Next, I installed the RocketFish 7.1 soundcard. This was important to me because this soundcard has a digital output jack. I connected the computer to the receiver via a fiber optic cable. Your results will vary based upon your receiver. The Rocketfish 7.1 software lets you really customize your music.

Then, I added a touch screen monitor - I use the Synaps 17" from Amazon.com and connected it to the computer like a regular monitor. There are many touch screens out there, but they are kind of pricey. And yes, pricey is a real word.

Finally, I download the Album Player Software for about 60 bucks. Album Player is user friendly, all it needs to know is where your music library is and it does the rest. AlbumPlayer is touch screen compatible and of course you can use a mouse too. Oh, and you need an internet connection so the album covers can be downloaded which Album Player does automatically. You could always download them manually too. Sometimes that is better because you can use any picture you want. For example, my J. Geils Band "Centerfold" album cover is not the original. It is well....you can guess what it is

Good luck! Hope yours turns out well.

post #68 of 364 Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 AM

Liked: 10
Great looking bar, lots of good ideas to 'borrow'.
post #69 of 364 Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahalalgn View Post

Great looking bar, lots of good ideas to 'borrow'.

Thank you very much! If you 'borrow' any ideas..let me know...would love to see how they look in your bar!

post #70 of 364 Old 02-15-2011, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

So progress has been slowed due to the recent purchase of a used Jeep. We needed a 4x4 for the winter up here in upstate New York. We tried to get away without one, but just was not happening. So, the money set aside for the door and floor went to our new toy.
The progress? We decided to take out another loan just for the door and floor. Money should be here soon..then doors and floor will be ordered.

post #71 of 364 Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Today my father in law came all the way up from Long Island to assist me in the next phase of the Great Bar Build of 2011. He told me that he will arrive in the morning and he was not kidding, because he arrived at 8:30am. I totally expected him to leave Long Island at 9am, but instead he arrived at 9am. Sweet!
We measured, then measured some more, put some blue tape down, measured even more, did some math, did some more math and finally came up with a list of lumber needed.

While he got the tools and saws ready, I headed to Seekamp Lumber. My loyal readers will remember that I swore of Seekamp Lumber. Click here to find out why. But, I was pressed for time and I figured to give them another chance because that is how I roll and damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.
Seekamp Lumber was a pleasure today. The guy behind the counter was friendly and helpful. Much more betterer this time around. I plunked down my money, threw the lumber in the back of Joey's truck (thanks Joey!) and headed back home.

Dad got to work on the wall seperating the bench from the hot pellet stove. I think it would kinda suck if my drunk guests roll off the bench and into the stove, I hear 3rd degree burns put a damper on any party.

So day one we got the wall and the bottom layer of the "boxes" done. What is next? Plywood goes down over these 2x4s that are on the the floor that hangs over by 2" followed by another layer of the same boxes followed by another layer of plywood. That last layer of plywood is the part the foam and upholstery go on. Confused? Stay tuned, more pics progress to follow.

post #72 of 364 Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

More Progress!! With More Pics!!

CLICK HERE

Usually I would post here too, but tonight...I am just too tired. That is too many too's in one sentence.

post #73 of 364 Old 02-26-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

More progress to report!

My father in law came up and we made it our mission to finish the bench! We came darn close but had to throw in the towel when exhaustion set in. The only part left is putting the front part of the bench on. Oh, that and the upholstry.

post #74 of 364 Old 02-26-2011, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Lookin' good my man, lookin' good. I'm thinking that bench could hold two or three more passed out buddies and not even break a sweat!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #75 of 364 Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Lookin' good my man, lookin' good. I'm thinking that bench could hold two or three more passed out buddies and not even break a sweat!

Regards,

RTROSE

Thank you very much!

post #76 of 364 Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 AM

Wow love this thread!!! "Beware of pickpockets and loose women"...classic man. What an amazing room.
post #77 of 364 Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Brian +2 on the bench!
What are you thinking for upholstery?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #78 of 364 Old 02-27-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Brian +2 on the bench!
When it is time - this is a resource worth checking out, especially for custom pre-cut foam cushions. http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/
From what I have read; "JelloSlug" over in the dedicated build forum has had very good luck with them for his custom build recliners!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #79 of 364 Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Great work Brian. Maybe when you are done you could swing by my neck of the woods and throw together a set for my bar?!?!

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #80 of 364 Old 02-27-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodulik View Post

Wow love this thread!!! "Beware of pickpockets and loose women"...classic man. What an amazing room.

Shodulik- Thank you very much. I appreciate it. Check out my blog: Shennanigans.
Quote:

Brian +2 on the bench!

Thank you Cuzed2. I am thinking pleather or vinyl in black. Something that is comfortable yet can be cleaned easily after the inevitable beer spill.

Quote:

When it is time - this is a resource worth checking out, especially for custom pre-cut foam cushions. http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/
From what I have read; "JelloSlug" over in the dedicated build forum has had very good luck with them for his custom build recliners!

Thanks! I just checked out the website, and it is interesting. I was thinking about farming the upholstery out to a professional, but after checking out the website maybe I will give it the 'ol college try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Great work Brian. Maybe when you are done you could swing by my neck of the woods and throw together a set for my bar?!?!

Sure thing!

post #81 of 364 Old 03-04-2011, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Minimal...but I like to report to you guys because you are all inside my head and the only way to quiet you people down is post something on AVS forum.
What to report?

Not much.

But, I did order the French doors for the back of the bar! So, that is awesome. AND...the upholestry guy came and quoted me 1500. Here is their website: http://www.gillincustomdesign.com/.

I know they are expensive. I know. BUT! The bench is one of the cornerstones of the bar. Literally and figuratively. I want the bench to be comfortable, inviting, a place where guests can sit and stay while, perhaps even pass out on. The bench is something important to me and I do not want to scrimp on it. I want it done right by professionals. Why so expenive tho? He explained to me that the foam they use is not the **** (his word) from AC Moore or Michael's. That foam as soon as you sit on it, your butt hits the bottom of the bench. No thanks. Gimme the good foam please.

So, that is it. Bench upholstry estimate done and french door ordered.

Baby steps on the weekends.

post #82 of 364 Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Looking good... I always look foward to this thread, keeps me motivated on mine and the humor is great.
post #83 of 364 Old 03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Great work Brian!! I know this might be a bit too late.. but did you setup those benches to allow access for storage?? That would be a lot of storage under there!

Can't wait to see this finished!
post #84 of 364 Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfan62 View Post

Looking good... I always look foward to this thread, keeps me motivated on mine and the humor is great.

Thank you very much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumavguy View Post

Great work Brian!! I know this might be a bit too late.. but did you setup those benches to allow access for storage?? That would be a lot of storage under there!

Can't wait to see this finished!

Yes the bench part comes apart for storage of cups, plates, and the first one ro pass out gets stored under there too.

post #85 of 364 Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 PM

So good times here. Our builds are way different, but I will follow this one for the humor. And hopefully more pictures of Nicol (no e - see what I did there?).

We share a profession, nationality, and requisite affinity for drinking. I'd do that jukebox thingy, but thats probably way over my head, which is a dumb one.
post #86 of 364 Old 03-05-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthegrip View Post

So good times here. Our builds are way different, but I will follow this one for the humor. And hopefully more pictures of Nicol (no e - see what I did there?).

We share a profession, nationality, and requisite affinity for drinking. I'd do that jukebox thingy, but thats probably way over my head, which is a dumb one.

Welcome aboard Nick! Is your name "Nickthegrip" named after the Nick theDick character in Bachelor Party?

post #87 of 364 Old 03-05-2011, 02:16 PM

No.

Its from this, he mentions "me" at right around the 54 second mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxF0vygnF2Y

PS that guys totally hot. Errr, wait. Not really what I meant.
post #88 of 364 Old 03-05-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthegrip View Post

that guys totally hot. Errr, wait. Not really what I meant.

. I thought your screen name came from that Bachelor Party movie with Tom Hanks.

post #89 of 364 Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

In other news today, the O'Shea's Neighborhood Pub has made progress! Not a whole heck of alot. I had the upholsetry dude come by for an estimate. I say dude not out of disrespect or anything, but he was all tatted up and would probably kick my ass if I said anything other than "dude" . Plus, he was a cool dude.
1500-1700 to slap some foam down and wrap it in vinyl. I thought that was a bit much but after some reasearch, I learned the foam used for a nice couch is not cheap. It is petroleum based and the price rises and falls with oil. (Great...order now!) The foam is not the cheap stuff found at craft / hobby stores. Turns out, his prices are pretty good. Plus, he has been in a bunch of custom car magazines and other stuff. Here is his website if you are a fan of upholestry like I am.

I also ordered the French doors that will lead out to the back. This door rocks the Casbah because it opens out instead of like a normal door opening in. They were designed to be used for Hurricanes so the door won't blow in during a storm. As an added bonus, they open up and fold up against the house effectively turning the patio / bar area into one big room.

Oh, I also ripped up slate floor in the hallway using an air hammer and Irish will. It was dusty and kinda fun. I took some pics of me bashing the slate, but the room was so dusty that the pics are full of dust particles Or, as ghost hunting dorks would say:" Life Orbs". Like I said...dorks.

Ok, thanks for stopping by! Check out my blog!

post #90 of 364 Old 03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12566 View Post

I also ordered the French doors that will lead out to the back. This door rocks the Casbah because it opens out instead of like a normal door opening in. They were designed to be used for Hurricanes so the door won't blow in during a storm.

This my friend is GREAT news assuming the threat of hurricanes in NY is a "real" threat?!?!

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page