O'Shea's Neighborhood Bar Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 364 Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After procuring design ideas from this wonderful forum for the past two plus years, I decided to finally post some pics of my own build. Truthfully, it is more of a hobby than a build. A build entails a deadline, a budget, and I am pretty sure general contractors do not have to beg wives for funds or skip out of work because it is Johnny-what's-his name's birthday BBQ.
While I am not building...I mean creating a Home Theater like most of you, I still felt as if I owed something to this great forum. And truth be told, it is titled AVS Forum and I do have some A/V equipment to share.

Some of you may recognize your designs.

Anyway...here is my contribution:

Sept 10, 2008 I began with the spare bedroom down in the basement. It is actually a split-level house, so the "basement" is not below grade but I digress. On with the show:

Want to read the whole story?
Click on over: to O'Shea Shenanigan's Bar Build Archive

This is the word of O'Shea.....Thanks be to Beer.

CLICK HERE FOR BAR BUILD AND OTHER ASSORTED SHENANIGANS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 364 Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12566 View Post

Truthfully, it is more of a hobby than a build. A build entails a deadline, a budget, and I am pretty sure general contractors do not have to beg wives for funds or skip out of work because it is Johnny-what's-his name's birthday BBQ.

Crap.

Three years of renovating my basement and trying to build a HT, and only now does someone tell me that I need deadlines and budgets for it to qualify as a build.

Three bloody years!

Double crap!! Better make that triple crap!

Oh, well ... ignorance is bliss. It's still ignorance, of course, but it's also bliss, and bliss is in such short supply I'll take it where I can get it! So even with no budget or a deadline anywhere in sight, I'm going to keep deluding myself that I've got an actual HT build going on. If the wife suspects otherwise I'll never hear the end of it!

Welcome to The Swamp, Brian. I got a kick out of your blog!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #3 of 364 Old 08-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
why dont you throw some sheetrock on that wall?

It'll go from being ok to being badass

I like to watch video and listen to audio.
post #4 of 364 Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Hanesian! And I hope you stop by the blog often!

I kept kidding myself that it was a bar build....truthfully, it is a bar-hobby. I thought about it and realized that I only work on it on weekends when there is nothing else goin on and a few hours at that. For me, it is a hobby.

post #5 of 364 Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneotool View Post

why dont you throw some sheetrock on that wall?

It'll go from being ok to being badass

I still have some A/V work to do and as you know much easier to run cable without that pesky sheetrock in the way. I want to add cable now while the studs are exposing themselves (dirty bastards) for future expansion too.

post #6 of 364 Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

So I had a bash last Saturday night, (August 28th) and happy to report the bar performed well! The jukebox was a huge hit. I got compliments like:" I felt like I was at a real bar!" It was a good time had by all.

There are more pictures, but these are the ones that have the bar in action

My wife is the one in a white t shirt, with a cigar in hand.

post #7 of 364 Old 08-31-2010, 11:38 AM

Absolutely love that jukebox idea. How'd you pull that off?
post #8 of 364 Old 08-31-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Brian,

Bar is looking great, and the bash looks like it was a blast!

Too bad your wife looks like she wasn't having any fun ... probably too shy to let her hair down, raise her arms, light up a stoogie, and PAR-TAY!!

If I had been there I could have shown you guys how to really "shake yo booty!"

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #9 of 364 Old 08-31-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

We have our own "work-in-progress" fun room - a garage-a-cade/theater & bar. Since you mentioned HT I was wondering where the big theater screen was located or planned. You have a great start on a Sports Bar theme with multiple small video displays and the DIY Juke but you gotta add a shelf mount PJ and wall screen to add Theater to the mix.

If you have the space, I'd add a coin-op pinball or multicade arcade machine or both. Maybe a few commercial quality beer neons. Pawn shops and CL are great, cost effective neon sign sources. We just added a cusom neon sign and it really added a nice, fun touch with the name of our "bar" in the form of a logo.

Having a Party room with a bar in your house is always a fun space and you're off to a good start.
post #10 of 364 Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGnome View Post

Absolutely love that jukebox idea. How'd you pull that off?

Juke box idea was stolen from K2lounge. It runs on an old computer playing MP3s. All I did was add Rocketfish 7.1 digital soundcard to the computer, bought AlbumPlayer software. Oh and a touch screen from Amazon.com. Really nothing to it. Most expensive part was the touch screen monitor about 300, soundcard was like 50 and the computer was free. The MP3s are begotten with free beer.

post #11 of 364 Old 08-31-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay View Post

We have our own "work-in-progress" fun room - a garage-a-cade/theater & bar. Since you mentioned HT I was wondering where the big theater screen was located or planned. You have a great start on a Sports Bar theme with multiple small video displays and the DIY Juke but you gotta add a shelf mount PJ and wall screen to add Theater to the mix.

If you have the space, I'd add a coin-op pinball or multicade arcade machine or both. Maybe a few commercial quality beer neons. Pawn shops and CL are great, cost effective neon sign sources. We just added a cusom neon sign and it really added a nice, fun touch with the name of our "bar" in the form of a logo.

Having a Party room with a bar in your house is always a fun space and you're off to a good start.

There is a space for a cocktail table Ms. Pac-Man / Galaga table. Problem is they re like 3,000 and will be bought last. As far as a home theater goes, plans are in the works to turn one of the garages into a HT when we add an extension onto the house. There will be a hallway connecting the bar to the theater.

post #12 of 364 Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

post #13 of 364 Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

With fall in almost-full swing and winter fast approaching, I thought it was the perfect time to start clearing a spot for a pool!

http://http://oshea12566.wordpress.c...-build-begins/

In HT news, the wife has approved monies to be dedicated to the floor! I know, I know I am psyched too. The concrete guy came by for a guesstimate. Going to cost anywhere from 1200-1800 to put a stain on the bar floor. Depends if I choose water or acid based, and depends on the color chosen too. Can not go with the stamped concrete, because he will have to add 3 inches of concrete to the the floor effectively rendering the space 3" shorter. No thanks, I need all the inches I got. Staining it is.

Thanks to everyone who has subscribed to this thread.

post #14 of 364 Old 11-02-2010, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

So I got a quote from the concrete guy for the floor. Then a few days later he sent me a text stating that he could not accept the job as he is having family problems. Not sure why he is letting those problems effect (or affect? ) his business, but whatever not my problem. Plenty of concrete guys out there.

So then I was distracted by Disney. And by distracted I mean that little mouse took all my money. If any of you see him, kindly kick his money eating grin in. Thanks!

After we got back from Disney, I got distracted by the Halloween party we threw in our yet to be finished bar:

MORE PICS AND THE STORY HERE.

post #15 of 364 Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 AM

A bar is what brings people together! I just threw a 40th for my wife and we had about 75 people attend. I hired a comedian to roast her and that was the best $100 I spent on something to do with that basement. If freinds have a good time, they will come back. They always do. Of course free beer is always a motivator I'm sure!

The one thing that I realized is that people will end up taking off early if they don't have a place to sit. Standing for a while can make us old people tired. I have 10 barstools at my bar, a theater couch, and am still trying to choose two pub style tables and another 8 chairs.

Nice bar there and it looks like a great time was had by all....I'm sure they'll come back for more.

I really need to look into that touch screen juke box...great idea.

I almost forgot to add that I know our party was good....we had three pairs of shoes, a pair of earings, a personal flask, and some other items left behind! We called around and nobody claims any of it!!??!!
post #16 of 364 Old 11-02-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Great pix of the party Brian! I think this one was my favorite - your young party-animal-in-training!

Although the more photos I see of your wife and Nicol partying, the clearer it becomes: those two gals are NOT wallflowers ... especially when they get together!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey61 View Post

I almost forgot to add that I know our party was good....we had three pairs of shoes, a pair of earings, a personal flask, and some other items left behind! We called around and nobody claims any of it!!??!!

The flask is mine! Please return ... full!!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #17 of 364 Old 11-02-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey61 View Post

A bar is what brings people together! I just threw a 40th for my wife and we had about 75 people attend. I hired a comedian to roast her and that was the best $100 I spent on something to do with that basement. If freinds have a good time, they will come back. They always do. Of course free beer is always a motivator I'm sure!

The one thing that I realized is that people will end up taking off early if they don't have a place to sit. Standing for a while can make us old people tired. I have 10 barstools at my bar, a theater couch, and am still trying to choose two pub style tables and another 8 chairs.

Nice bar there and it looks like a great time was had by all....I'm sure they'll come back for more.

I really need to look into that touch screen juke box...great idea.

Plans are in the works for a wrap around bench in the corner over by the stove, after the stove is moved to the right 4 ft, then the concrete floor is stained. Nice soft cushiony bench.

That is a sign of a good party. Property left behind that no one is claiming.

post #18 of 364 Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Great pix of the party Brian! I think this one was my favorite - your young party-animal-in-training!

Although the more photos I see of your wife and Nicol partying, the clearer it becomes: those two gals are NOT wallflowers ... especially when they get together!!

Yeah I love that pic, it is getting framed and hung in the bar somewhere! My wife and Nicol are not wallflowers by any stretch of the imagination.

post #19 of 364 Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Well where Hanes goes I will follow. I recognize the bar pic now from when you posted in Hanes thread earlier. How cool is it to have a bar tender wife and a stogie smoker to boot? Whoo Hoo. Great Halloween pictures, looks like you have fun in all that you do. Great idea on the roast for your wife's 40th. As my wife's 40th is approaching this coming spring I just may have to do something along that same line. However cool my wife is I can't imagine her lighting up a stogie, she is an alcohol lightweight too. Two drinks and she's well on her way to being sloshed. This is not the advantage one would think it is though.

I do wonder why Hanes has only posted one photo here. He must be going easy on you or maybe that was when his photobucket account was shutdown.

Oh, well no matter, glad to see your using your space finished or not!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #20 of 364 Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Well where Hanes goes I will follow. I recognize the bar pic now from when you posted in Hanes thread earlier. How cool is it to have a bar tender wife and a stogie smoker to boot? Whoo Hoo. Great Halloween pictures, looks like you have fun in all that you do.

Thanks! We think of ourselves as down to Earth people and just do what we want. My wife enjoys a good stogie once in a blue moon.

Quote:

Great idea on the roast for your wife's 40th.

That was actually hosejockey61's idea. He had the comedian at his wife's birthday party and I think it is a great idea too. I might have to steal it from him.

Quote:

I do wonder why Hanes has only posted one photo here. He must be going easy on you or maybe that was when his photobucket account was shutdown.

Shhhhh! Don't give Hanes any ideas! ...or excuses not to work on his HT.

post #21 of 364 Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 AM

Love it!!!! I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure!
post #22 of 364 Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 AM

Wow - 2 years of lurking and that was my first post. Did not realize it!
post #23 of 364 Old 11-07-2010, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmyoungjr View Post

Wow - 2 years of lurking and that was my first post. Did not realize it!

Welcome to the show! Stop by anytime.

post #24 of 364 Old 11-07-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmyoungjr View Post

Love it!!!! I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure! Wow - 2 years of lurking and that was my first post. Did not realize it!

Two years of lurking and this is your grand entrance into AVS? The admission requirements around here have gone kind of slack haven't they?

Just kidding of course. Thought I would get to you before Hanes did, he is way not nicer than I am. Plus he would have posted some unrelated random photo, now that we are into an new month.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #25 of 364 Old 11-14-2010, 09:39 AM

Also love the Jukebox idea, I have been testing the different programs for a few months now, how do you like the album player software? I am trying the PC jukebox right now and previously the album player and another one I forgot the name of but anyway just curious if you had any comments on the software portion of it and ease of use. Thanks and love the bar, summit kegerator and the antique phone, can't wait to see it come together with drywall and paint choices. keep us posted and lots of pics.

The Copper Pub /Corey Lane Cinema

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #26 of 364 Old 11-15-2010, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO View Post

Also love the Jukebox idea, I have been testing the different programs for a few months now, how do you like the album player software? I am trying the PC jukebox right now and previously the album player and another one I forgot the name of but anyway just curious if you had any comments on the software portion of it and ease of use. Thanks and love the bar, summit kegerator and the antique phone, can't wait to see it come together with drywall and paint choices. keep us posted and lots of pics.

The Album PLayer software in a word: RULES!. It really is great. The "party mode" is what really sold me. Party mode locks out drunk guests from fast forwarding through songs and eliminates arguements. Guests can only add songs to the playlist. In regular mode, you have total control. You can listen to a whole album, jump from song to song, artist to artist, shuffle your whole collection, whatever your heart desires. The software is only 60 bucks and totally worth it. You will need a soundcard in your computer with a digital output. I used Rocket Fish 7.1 and I am very happy with it.

I can not wait for this bar to be done either! It has been a slow go for a while now, but Commissioner of Finances (wife) recently approved funds for Project Bar Completion 2011. I will keep everyone posted with pics and stuff gets checked off the punch-list.

post #27 of 364 Old 11-16-2010, 06:22 PM

Brian,

Nice to see your space in action. Will Album player allow control from a remote laptop or other computer?

My basement sound system is driven by a PC and amp in a rack behind the HT. I need to be able to control the player from a remote computer in the bar (cat 5 or wireless). Had heard Media Monkey would do it with an add-in (wawi) but it isn't satisfactory. I just scanned the AP website but couldn't find this feature. Can you comment?

thx.
post #28 of 364 Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I love this bar so far and like many here am VERY intrigued by the touch screen juke box but with 0 knowledge of how to go about this I need help and LOTS of it. I have an older dell desktop tower (if that is a start) and would LOVE to create something like this.....

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #29 of 364 Old 11-17-2010, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punahou80 View Post

Brian,

Nice to see your space in action. Will Album player allow control from a remote laptop or other computer?

My basement sound system is driven by a PC and amp in a rack behind the HT. I need to be able to control the player from a remote computer in the bar (cat 5 or wireless). Had heard Media Monkey would do it with an add-in (wawi) but it isn't satisfactory. I just scanned the AP website but couldn't find this feature. Can you comment?

thx.

I am not 100% sure if it can be controlled remotely. All I wanted it for was the touch-screen capability. But I do not see why it could not be controlled by a remote laptop or other computer. All you need to do is link to the computer Album Player is on and can control it as you would any other software. Sorry I could not be anymore help, I just never looked into that feature.

post #30 of 364 Old 11-17-2010, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

I love this bar so far and like many here am VERY intrigued by the touch screen juke box but with 0 knowledge of how to go about this I need help and LOTS of it. I have an older dell desktop tower (if that is a start) and would LOVE to create something like this.....

It is very easy. I too have an old Dell desktop tower holding all my MP3s and running AlbumPlayer. That is all you need..well that and internet access to get the album covers. Oh...you also need Rocket Fish 7.1 digital soundcard. Or any soundcard with digital output. The rocket fish works wonderfully and I have zero complaints, the sound is crisp and clean. You have total control over the sound too with the EQ, crystalizer, 3D sound features. All of which can be turned on or off depending on your sound preference. So when you first install it, it is kinda fun to play with the features to get the music to sound just how you like it. The other device you need is a touch screen. I got mine off Amazon.com 17" Synaps..for like 300 bucks. That is really the most expensive part of the jukebox. But sooo worth it...otherwise without the touchscreen, you might as well use Windows Media Player .

I think perhaps it might be time to do a blogpost on my jukebox. I will post the link here in a couple of days when I get a chance to write it up.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page